I got a question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: I got a question

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

You've got the next 40 years to plan for, a family to support, and probably have 1/3 of the credits towards a degree in Communications from Moosenuts Technical College in Saskatoon. 

Go Sizzlin' Prairie Oysters!
    [object HTMLDivElement]

Can I get a visual on that mascot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

There is a lot to fix in your logic.

first, I don't like this whole, "enough." Business. These guys, for the most part got to where they are because they are incredibly competitive. They want the best contract. If they're making "enough money," when do they have "enough rings." How much is enough? More. Always more. There is no finish line. There are some players that taking less makes sense for. Mark recchi was one. David krejci will not be. Johnny boychuk will not be. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah home town discounts in the New England area are a bit different.  A cross sports reference but....what if Johnny Damon did not sign with the Yanks.  Do you think the endorsements would have out reached his contract with the Yanks.  I think so.  Just mention Bobby Orr in Boston and you have thousands who will buy.  Mention Tom Brady, ditto.  So do you think Patrice Bergerion will not make millions on endorsements in his contract years.  I think so.  Now for the NHL, Iginla would have stayed here.  So dare I say Cap.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The A/V department at Moosenuts isn't what it ought to be, but this is their inspiration!  Just with, you know, a fiery cloak or something:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338282/Meet-Mr-Testicle--probably-bizarre-mascot-seeking-raise-awareness-testicular-cancer-Brazil.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338282/Meet-Mr-Testicle--probably-bizarre-mascot-seeking-raise-awareness-testicular-cancer-Brazil.html

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think that could be a great nickname for NAS, Señor Testiculo! Has a nice ring to it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I think that could be a great nickname for NAS, Señor Testiculo! Has a nice ring to it!

Yeah, I agree.  I am the nuts.  The name is quite fitting.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Wow.  Looks like JMW alright.  

Where's the costume??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

:(

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

A good starting pitcher making $20 million/year gets about $200,000 per inning if he goes 200 innings over a season.

And he's less likely to get a broken nose, separated shoulder or multiple concussions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

It's always about the money and it should be, the NHL and pro sports leagues are businesses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Davinator's comment:

What I hate to hear is an athelete coming off a $5m/yr contract, holding out for an $8m/yr contract(after being offered $6m/yr) and when it finally gets done says, "The bottom line is I have look out for my family"...

How much IS enough?

Is it worth moving your family to a new town/school/country club because you didn't agree with the $6m offer?

It is not for the family, it is for the player and his bling.

That said, I don't expect it to change and wonder (out loud) how I would handle it.

I just wouldn't say it's for the family.

Why does there have to be a limit, an "enough"?  I have spent my professional life trying to make as much money as I can.  Why can't these guys do the same?

Many folks make less than me.  Many make more.  I travel a lot, so people who make less wonder what it's like to have the money to go places I do.  Meanwhile, I wonder what it's like to sit in first class every time.  And those suckers wonder what it's like to have a private jet.

Every man is his own man when it comes to money.  It's never any else's business.  Make it, spend it, save it, blow it, set it on fire.  Do whatever you want with your money.  My life remains the same.  

Ask any guy making $150K if he'd like to do the same job and make $300K instead.  Tell me how many say, "No, man.  I'm good.  I'll stay at $150K."

I guess I mistated my point when I said 'How much is enough?'
    I don't really mean that someone should not strive to improve last years' earnings, but rather to what extent...

In my hypothetical scenario, the player was offered a 20% raise, and bolted for a 60% raise.

That is a measure of his desire to make the most money - wherever that may be. Sounds like that's your philosophy too. That's OK, I respect that.

My issue was the player telling everyone out there that "The bottom line is I have look out for my family"...

Hard to think that a family previously making middle class wages would feel they're set now that their son is making $8m rather than $6m annually on a new multi-year contract.

But that is just me and my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

:(

Come to Denver for a game so I can smooth over that unwarranted cheap shot...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Come to Denver for a game so I can smooth over that unwarranted cheap shot...

Careful Fletch I just may hold you to that! lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Somebody better at adding images should really show the world Senor T.

Are you not entertained?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

My issue was the player telling everyone out there that "The bottom line is I have look out for my family"...

Hard to think that a family previously making middle class wages would feel they're set now that their son is making $8m rather than $6m annually on a new multi-year contract.

But that is just me and my opinion.

Why would he be doing it for any other reason?  Star Player A isn't playing to make me happy.  The only thing that matters when all is said and done is family.

If I had a choice between putting an extra $XXXXX in my family bank account as opposed to making a bunch of strangers happy, I'd take the money every time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

A good starting pitcher making $20 million/year gets about $200,000 per inning if he goes 200 innings over a season.

And he's less likely to get a broken nose, separated shoulder or multiple concussions.

Your math is not very good

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

It's always easier when it's someone else's money...

Sections
Shortcuts