I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.

I'm sure it would be different if the Leafs were involved in the playoffs, but I've been watching most of the series and frankly it's reminding me back to the Broad Street Bully days.

Look at the threads on this forum (similiar to others by the way) and what are people talking about?

1. Shaw gets three and LUcic gets nil.
    2. Difference between Asham's hit and Backstrom's cross-check
    3. Torres on Hossa
    4. Who will Lucic's target on Thursday
    5. Alzner's crying eyes
    6. Getting ridiculous now
    7. 2 or 3 threads on Torres the head-hunter
    8. 2 or 3 threads on Shannahan's rulings

The Bruin/Caps series doesn't appear to be nearly as bad as the others in terms of cheap shots and bush leagues plays although the last game was getting there.

I enjoy a good spontaneous fight, good clean hard hitting, nice goals, great goaltending; but most of what's going on in the playoffs right now is NOT hockey at it's best. Can't even see a player lay on a nice hit without getting piled on by a bunch of players.

Cross-checks to the head, punches to a player that's lying on the ice, spears, elbows to the head, charges....etc.   It really does remind me of those Broad Street Bully days.

Even the supposed skill players are playing dirty.

Just wondering what most of the folks on this forum think.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.

No respect whatsoever for fellow players health or well being. Imagine if it came out Hossa has some broken vertebrae or over the summer he developed post concussion syndrome (yes I know he was released from the hospital) as an example. I as a hockey fan get deprived of watching Hossa score amazing goals the next few years.

I fully agree with Jeremy Roenick that there is a complete lack of respect right now in the NHL, it's is only about all about winning. Use the Rangers-Ottawa series as an example. If Alfredsson (sp?) doesn't return the trade off for New York is a win, if he does retune he really isn't 100%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.

I wish there was something I could say that would cheer you up LRH but I can't. The recent events in the NHL have been just sad. As a Bruins fan, the only positive I can take from all of it is that the Bruins have stayed away from making any dirty/questionable plays and are still up in the series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.:
    [QUOTE]No respect whatsoever for fellow players health or well being. Imagine if it came out Hossa has some broken vertebrae or over the summer he developed post concussion syndrome (yes I know he was released from the hospital) as an example. I as a hockey fan get deprived of watching Hossa score amazing goals the next few years. I fully agree with Jeremy Roenick that there is a complete lack of respect right now in the NHL, it's is only about all about winning. Use the Rangers-Ottawa series as an example. If Alfredsson (sp?) doesn't return the trade off for New York is a win, if he does retune he really isn't 100%.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Good point San. The punishment for taking out the Sens best player wasn't really much of a punishment at all. Kreider replaces Hagelin......Sens lose out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the hockey has been great, i'm not sure what you're watching. the reason why these things are the lead story is because violence sells over great hockey. watch the evening news. it's fires, murders, rapes, wars that are the big stories. hard to find a lead story about someone doing charity work, doesn't sell. the media is a hoot. as i was watching a sports show yesterday, the sports writer said, "the problem is that we're leading the discussion with the violence and not the hockey". so what did they do, THEY LEAD WITH THE VIOLENCE ANGLE, NOT HOCKEY! it's the producers of these shows/news, and editors of the papers that decide what gets aired/written. they want that to be reported more heavily so their ratings and sales are high. this is not a "hockey problem", this is a "media problem". remember... all these US based media outlets don't report on hockey all season(ESPN), they only jump into the reporting when there are violent hits or controversy, it's the only hockey story they can sell to the non-hockey subscribers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I am conflicted on this subject, as well. 

This is the time of year that all hockey fans relish -- each game, each period, each shift means so much;  the intensity is ramped up; the arenas are alive with anticipation.

And yet, despite the scrutiny and attempted policing of head shots, we continue to see them -- it appears that we're seeing them with greater frequency now than we did in the regular season, despite the fact that only 16 of 30 teams are playing. 

As with many locales, my home town is shedding a tremendous amount of light on the subject of bullying -- not only in schools, but also in workplaces.  I'm wondering what types of mixed messages we're sending in society, and particularly to our kids, when we admonish bullying everywhere else, but practically celebrate it on the ice.  Intimidation, trash-talking, uttering of threats, use of inappropriate nicknames in public -- all would be met with sanctions and punishment if used elsewhere.  We all know that many kids look upon professional athletes as role models, and many of perform that role very well, but I fear that, as a sport, hockey is treading on dangerous ground, as it's version of "morality" skews away from that which the rest of society is putting forward.

We tolerate this behaviour in a setting like the WWF, because we know that it's 'theatre', and it's part of the 'entertainment'.  But hockey considers itself a legitimate sport, and fans accept that premise.  Indeed, true fans consider it one of the most noble sports, full of "codes of conduct" and, of course, the time-honoured post-series handshake line. 

So, why do we tolerate, even encourage, at times, these instances of barbarism, and further encite them with calls for "the revenge hit", and "an appropriate response"?  I can't accept the explanation "because it's the Cup", as rationale for violence caused by heightened intensity.  I watched the Olympic tournament, and you can't tell me that the intensity wasn't present;  and yet, I saw only 8 minutes of penalties in the gold medal game.

I don't want to see a player die on the ice.  Yet I fear that if the game continues as it is, it's virtually a foregone conclusion.

And before anyone responds with anything about the Canucks, please accept this post as one from one hockey fan to other hockey fans, without any partisan point-of-view.  I fully realize that there are many teams guilty of poor behaviour, including the one I cheer for.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

for the record, i really don't feel the nhl is any more violent than it ever has been. it's just that these hits we've seen recently were part of the game previously. so they weren't looked at over and over and over, dissected or super slo-mo'd, looking for reasons to suspend players. if we had the technology and the rules(and rule czar-that's you shanny) 25 years ago, the atmosphere would be the same... a media circus. the media and the fact that NOTHING escapes the eye of the camera is a huge contributing factor. some people these days are scared to leave their homes because the world is full of nothing but murderers and rapists. is this the case, no, but by watching the news, you'd get that impression. as far as all the threads, some being multiple threads on the same topic(usually frowned apon), we're contributing to the hysteria. it's self-perpetuating.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure it would be different if the Leafs were involved in the playoffs, but I've been watching most of the series and frankly it's reminding me back to the Broad Street Bully days. Look at the threads on this forum (similiar to others by the way) and what are people talking about? 1. Shaw gets three and LUcic gets nil. 2. Difference between Asham's hit and Backstrom's cross-check 3. Torres on Hossa 4. Who will Lucic's target on Thursday 5. Alzner's crying eyes 6. Getting ridiculous now 7. 2 or 3 threads on Torres the head-hunter 8. 2 or 3 threads on Shannahan's rulings The Bruin/Caps series doesn't appear to be nearly as bad as the others in terms of cheap shots and bush leagues plays although the last game was getting there. I enjoy a good spontaneous fight, good clean hard hitting, nice goals, great goaltending; but most of what's going on in the playoffs right now is NOT hockey at it's best. Can't even see a player lay on a nice hit without getting piled on by a bunch of players. Cross-checks to the head, punches to a player that's lying on the ice, spears, elbows to the head, charges....etc.   It really does remind me of those Broad Street Bully days. Even the supposed skill players are playing dirty. Just wondering what most of the folks on this forum think.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

Bowling is on at 10:00 pm channel 5 !  Noone gets hit or hurt in bowling .
    Enjoy !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.:
    [QUOTE]No respect whatsoever for fellow players health or well being. Imagine if it came out Hossa has some broken vertebrae or over the summer he developed post concussion syndrome (yes I know he was released from the hospital) as an example. I as a hockey fan get deprived of watching Hossa score amazing goals the next few years. I fully agree with Jeremy Roenick that there is a complete lack of respect right now in the NHL, it's is only about all about winning. Use the Rangers-Ottawa series as an example. If Alfredsson (sp?) doesn't return the trade off for New York is a win, if he does retune he really isn't 100%.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

You agree with Roenick ...now there's a match made in heaven !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

here's an example of a media firestorm that got way out of control, that previously wouldn't have happened 20 years ago. chara runs patches into the stancion. this happens a dozen times every year without much notice(except for highlight reels). only in todays world, with everyone carrying cell phones, the montreal faithful call 911. the story was about the wacked out crazy montreal fans calling 911, not about the hit, it's happened many times before, without suspension or discipline. the difference is that it was mon/bos, and they ACTUALLY CALLED 911(what a great story!) i remember hal gill running a guy into the stancion a few weeks before, with no call to 911, by the habs fans(no media coverage). this is what garnered the publicity. think about the results of that hit. what changed? the rinks. the rink designs were altered to make this thing less likely to happen again. no new rules banning stancion hits. how many lead news stories were dedicated to the reconfiguration of the rinks and obviously how that was a contributing factor. none. doesn't sell, fans calling 911 sells.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LRH besides the Shannanigans this is one of the most exciting 1st round of the playoffs I've seen (besides Boston's series was boring till halfway of the 2nd in the last game).  How can you tune off ???
    I cannot un-glue myself from the games (hence my wife will file for divorce thread).
    Shannahans inconsistency is to blame for all this. He started really well in the post season, then someone must have called him and told him to calm down.
    The Lucic hit he went along the lines of that phone call he got and that's why there was no suspensions (he made him pay later).
    Then their was the GM meetings that got him confused even more, now they wanted him to suspend everything all over again. I'm sure that caller I'm talking about was at this meeting contradicting everything .
    All this back and forth I think is to blame for Shannahan's inconsistency. It's his 1st year on the job and he's still learning how these guys want the NHL to work. I'm guessing in the summer he'll try to have this down pat and hopefully figure out how guys like Torres if punished properly will become like Matt Cooke has been this season (not complete sold on the latter, still a scum bag).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs.:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs. : You agree with Roenick ...now there's a match made in heaven ! Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni[/QUOTE]

Even though it is coming from a bird brain like you I take it as a compliment!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]here's an example of a media firestorm that got way out of control, that previously wouldn't have happened 20 years ago. chara runs patches into the stancion. this happens a dozen times every year without much notice(except for highlight reels). only in todays world, with everyone carrying cell phones, the montreal faithful call 911. the story was about the wacked out crazy montreal fans calling 911, not about the hit, it's happened many times before, without suspension or discipline. the difference is that it was mon/bos, and they ACTUALLY CALLED 911(what a great story!) i remember hal gill running a guy into the stancion a few weeks before, with no call to 911, by the habs fans(no media coverage). this is what garnered the publicity. think about the results of that hit. what changed? the rinks. the rink designs were altered to make this thing less likely to happen again. no new rules banning stancion hits. how many lead news stories were dedicated to the reconfiguration of the rinks and obviously how that was a contributing factor. none. doesn't sell, fans calling 911 sells.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    ADK, Gill actually did that in the NEXT game after the MaxPac hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

These playoffs are great! Ratings are way up I don't know what your problem is?
    Go watch some baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

my point exactly, barely memorable because it was not the lead story for two weeks straight. funny what not calling 911, or not threatening to pull corporate sponsorships does to a story. hardly coverable, wait, non-coverable... it certainly didn't make any highlights in my neck of the woods. must be the fans left their cell phones home, or they just aren't from the hockey rabid place known as montreal. bunch of drama queens

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Love, I don't know what you're watching, but this playoffs has been awesome for entertainment. There has been a little goonery, but the hockey has been outstanding. The Flyers/Pens series has been firewagon hockey at its best - goals, comebacks, lead changes, Crosby vs Giroux head-to-head... beautiful. The LA Kings shocking Vancouver is classic David vs Goliath. The Bruins/Caps was a bit hard to watch, but it was still good hockey and OV is always great. The suspensions and incidents in the Pens series goes hand-in-hand with an entitled group getting the game taken to them in an emotional, shocking fashion. I would expect no less from the Pens. The Weber turnbuckle thing was way overblown and the Backstrom cross check was nothing exceptional in my mind. The two really bad plays I've seen so far were the Bitz hit from behind and even moreso the Torres hit. The Torres hit in particular bothers me because he had done it so many times and should have been given a 20-game ban a long time ago. Outside  of those... good times!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the hockey has been incredible. lots of OT games, lots of comebacks from 2 and 3 down. the conversation only turns to the "other stuff", when that's what you turn it to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

You know what?  I'm going to jump in with adk and some others here.

The games themselves, by and large, haven't been so bad (excluding games played within Pennsylvania, perhaps) as far as legitimate cheap-shots go.  Plenty to enjoy about them.

It's that the media coverage seems to be very heavily focussing on rough/over-rough events this year that is tiring.  NHL.com had video for the hit on Hossa as a "NEW: Hossa carried out on stretcher" headline maybe 10 minutes after it happened.  What few intermission shows I've peeked at have spent a lot of time talking about pending suspensions (is this general or just a result of my limited sample set?).

Buck up, LRH.  I think things will calm down a bit once the first round is over.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Love, I don't know what you're watching, but this playoffs has been awesome for entertainment. There has been a little goonery, but the hockey has been outstanding. The Flyers/Pens series has been firewagon hockey at its best - goals, comebacks, lead changes, Crosby vs Giroux head-to-head... beautiful. The LA Kings shocking Vancouver is classic David vs Goliath. The Bruins/Caps was a bit hard to watch, but it was still good hockey and OV is always great. The suspensions and incidents in the Pens series goes hand-in-hand with an entitled group getting the game taken to them in an emotional, shocking fashion. I would expect no less from the Pens. The Weber turnbuckle thing was way overblown and the Backstrom cross check was nothing exceptional in my mind. The two really bad plays I've seen so far were the Bitz hit from behind and even moreso the Torres hit. The Torres hit in particular bothers me because he had done it so many times and should have been given a 20-game ban a long time ago. Outside  of those... good times!
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Oates, i think Brian Burke is a jerk but I agree with his take on the playoffs so far.......

Burke tells Kevin Allen of USA Today that the coverage given to violent plays that have resulted in injuries and suspensions is overblown. Burke gives Allen his take on things in only the kind of way he can.

“This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock,” Burke said. “Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history.”

As for the legitimately dirty plays like Raffi Torres‘ hit on Marian Hossa, Burke tells Allen that vigilance is the best way to combat the problem and get back to watching the playoffs the way they’re meant to be seen.

“I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line,” Burke said. “But this is a small number of incidents, and it’s unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It’s awesome.”

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Jerk, yes, but he is a great talker and provides fantastic quotes. Those are among his best, and I agree entirely.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs. : Oates, i think Brian Burke is a jerk but I agree with his take on the playoffs so far....... Burke tells Kevin Allen of USA Today that the coverage given to violent plays that have resulted in injuries and suspensions is overblown. Burke gives Allen his take on things in only the kind of way he can . “This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock,” Burke said. “Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history.” As for the legitimately dirty plays like Raffi Torres ‘ hit on Marian Hossa , Burke tells Allen that vigilance is the best way to combat the problem and get back to watching the playoffs the way they’re meant to be seen. “I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line,” Burke said. “But this is a small number of incidents, and it’s unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It’s awesome.”
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs. : Oates, i think Brian Burke is a jerk but I agree with his take on the playoffs so far....... Burke tells Kevin Allen of USA Today that the coverage given to violent plays that have resulted in injuries and suspensions is overblown. Burke gives Allen his take on things in only the kind of way he can . “This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock,” Burke said. “Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history.” As for the legitimately dirty plays like Raffi Torres ‘ hit on Marian Hossa , Burke tells Allen that vigilance is the best way to combat the problem and get back to watching the playoffs the way they’re meant to be seen. “I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line,” Burke said. “But this is a small number of incidents, and it’s unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It’s awesome.”
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    personally i feel there are two types of viewers, and two issues here. there are legitimate hockey fans, 1)who realize this stuff is part of the game but needs to be monitored more closely, and 2) see the real controversy is the shanny arbitrary rulings. then there are non-hockey fans, 1) who just need to be reminded by the news how barbaric and violent hockey is, to justify why they don't watch the game. when in actuality the reason they don't watch is because they've never been exposed to the sport(the south), can't follow the play(too fast), or there's simply not enough offense to hold their attention for 2 1/2 hours.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope the 'hockey' gets better because I'm starting to tune out the 2012 playoffs. : personally i feel there are two types of viewers, and two issues here. there are legitimate hockey fans, 1)who realize this stuff is part of the game but needs to be monitored more closely, and 2) see the real controversy is the shanny arbitrary rulings. then there are non-hockey fans, 1) who just need to be reminded by the news how barbaric and violent hockey is, to justify why they don't watch the game. when in actuality the reason they don't watch is because they've never been exposed to the sport(the south), can't follow the play(too fast), or there's simply not enough offense to hold their attention for 2 1/2 hours.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I think you've nailed it pretty good. Everything is so overexposed in this twitter world we live in. Now every play is examined under a microscope in super slo-mo. What can you do? Tossing out Torres for 10 or more games would be a good start though. This is his 4th incident since April 7th of last year. It doesn't seem like he'll ever "get it".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There have been plenty of cheapshots, dives, chirping, whining, and plain old dirty plays this year - most of them in the Battle of Penn.

I hate this crap, and there have been a few series that have been brutal for it, the Bruins Caps series being a thankful exception.

However, the hockey itself pulling that stuff aside has been fantastic. Last night's Panthers vs Devils game was about as interesting and crazy as a hockey game can get.

Also, the dirtiest plays have been made by players who are likely not going to make it to the next round. Figure everything will settle down once a few of the worst offenders get knocked out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/allan_muir/04/18/blackhawks.coyotes.marian.hossa/index.html

"There'll be plenty to talk about. But if NHL Players' Association boss Donald Fehr has any real interest in his post beyond proving he can outduel Gary Bettman at high noon, he needs to place a very high priority on the issue that the league has all but abdicated. Player safety."

"This wasn't a hockey play, and it wasn't a good hit.

Good hits hurt. Good hits whittle away at an opponent's will to compete.

Good hits don't come with the risk of ending a career."

I know allot on here don't think much of some of the hockey writers on SI or ESPN but every once in awhile Muir nails one. There is more to the new CBA than the revenue sharing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Said this in another post and will repeat it here.

In the old NHL, you made a bad hit, guy comes at you, drops his gloves and starts pounding your face. In this NHL, one bad hit or a borderline hit is sometimes met with the Aaron Asham like response.

Another point, with the game being centered around speed rather than toughness, there are a lot of small guys running around the ice and the big guys are still there as pylons.

Lastly, people on here are talking about the suspensions because talking about the 0-4-1 of the Caps is booooooorrrrinng.

Sections
Shortcuts