I know this is a hockey forum but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: I know this is a hockey forum but...

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Start a new thread to disagree on . This isn't the place.

What's ridiculous is no one feels that one of the problems is the word starting with the letter g...

Seems to be the place to talk about anything but hockey, where's TT when you need him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'm a Grade 3 teacher.  I've been fortunate to have been involved in only 1 lockdown in my 16 year career.  It was external in nature due to some police activity out on our playground and I clearly remember the fear in the eyes of my students as we huddled together on the floor in our darkened classroom against the closest wall to the locked door and with the blinds closed.  Understandably some kids were scared. 

I can't even begin to comprehend the absolute terror experienced by the children and staff and the mind-numbing sadness felt by the familes of those wee ones yesterday morning. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bosbruins2011cup's comment:

For all the liberals who wana ban guns and go against the constitution ( seems popular these days). Do you think changes in the laws will keep criminals from getting guns? I mean we all know criminals never break any laws right? Banning citizens from being able to own/carry guns would only make it easier for law breaking wack jobs to go on a rampage against defensless inocent people.

Isn't this what just happened  ? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Gun's don't kill people.  People kill people.

I believe it's a spiritual issue and our countries lost it's moral compass.

Letting 9 year olds play Battlefield 3 for hours on end is a moral issue.  So, if the parent's don't want to police their house, the gaming industry has too.

When you purchase a game that's rated M, there needs to be an accountability check that is inherent to the games activation.  Maybe a voice recognition program or facial recognition.  Something that let's the publisher know there's an adult in front of the screen.  That way latch key kids can't come home from school, grab a snack and fire up a war scene for 3 hours.

The Publishers need to bear some of the responsibility here too.  They're the ones making the games.  Beer is regulated because it changes a persons consciousness.  Video games are no different, imo.

There's a verse in the book of Matthew about the eyes being the lamp to the body.  That same principle applies here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bim09's comment:

Gun's don't kill people.  People kill people.

I believe it's a spiritual issue and our countries lost it's moral compass.

Letting 9 year olds play Battlefield 3 for hours on end is a moral issue.  So, if the parent's don't want to police their house, the gaming industry has too.

When you purchase a game that's rated M, there needs to be an accountability check that is inherent to the games activation.  Maybe a voice recognition program or facial recognition.  Something that let's the publisher know there's an adult in front of the screen.  That way latch key kids can't come home from school, grab a snack and fire up a war scene for 3 hours.

The Publishers need to bear some of the responsibility here too.  They're the ones making the games.  Beer is regulated because it changes a persons consciousness.  Video games are no different, imo.

There's a verse in the book of Matthew about the eyes being the lamp to the body.  That same principle applies here.

Video games don't kill people. People kill people.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

So, an inanimate object has the same amount of influence on a 9 year old kids psyche as a virtual 3 dimensional world, where there's repeated actions of violence?  Is that what your saying?  Because that's what it sounds like your saying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Video games or real guns?

"NEWTOWN, Conn. — Nancy Lanza loved guns, and often took her sons to one of the shooting ranges here in the suburbs northeast of New York City, where there is an active community of gun enthusiasts, her friends said. At a local bar, she sometimes talked about her gun collection."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I'm sure their K/D ratio was high at those shooting ranges, eh.

edit*

Going to a range "often" and shooting at paper targets is vastly different than logging into a virtual reality daily and shooting at human beings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think what Bim is saying about the games is a little radical, but it also has some merit. You can have as many laws as you want, if an emotionally unstable person goes into a kill mode tougher gun laws isn''t going to stop them. They'll find a way to kill. What I truly believe society needs to do is find ways to help the unstable people instead of worrying about video games & gun laws. This young man Adam Lanza showed signs of being emotionally disturbed in some capacity. Fixing him would've saved not only his life, but over 100's of other's, because if you count not only the victims, but the families, friends & relatives involved with the victims, you can say that Dec, 2012 actually was the end of their world. I cannot even remotely imagine the thought of myslef having to bury one of my daughters. My deepest thoughts & prayers go out to all affected including the family of the Lanza's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Video games or real guns?

"NEWTOWN, Conn. — Nancy Lanza loved guns, and often took her sons to one of the shooting ranges here in the suburbs northeast of New York City, where there is an active community of gun enthusiasts, her friends said. At a local bar, she sometimes talked about her gun collection."

Correct. These horrific mass killings all have one common connection. And it isn't video games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I think what Bim is saying about the games is a little radical, but it also has some merit. You can have as many laws as you want, if an emotionally unstable person goes into a kill mode tougher gun laws isn''t going to stop them. They'll find a way to kill. What I truly believe society needs to do is find ways to help the unstable people instead of worrying about video games & gun laws. This young man Adam Lanza showed signs of being emotionally disturbed in some capacity. Fixing him would've saved not only his life, but over 100's of other's, because if you count not only the victims, but the families, friends & relatives involved with the victims, you can say that Dec, 2012 actually was the end of their world. I cannot even remotely imagine the thought of myslef having to bury one of my daughters. My deepest thoughts & prayers go out to all affected including the family of the Lanza's.

In this case, current gun laws made it easier for the killer. They were right there in his house.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In this case, current gun laws made it easier for the killer. They were right there in his house.

Oh don't get my wrong Chowda. I know the weapons of choice were easily assessable, but if they weren't I still think he would've found a way to go on his spree. Whether that would be a baseball bat, to a slingshot I don't know. May not of gotten over 30 people, but I don't think stiffer gun laws would prevent  these types of killings. I think they'd just be done with a different weapon. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Oh don't get my wrong Chowda. I know the weapons of choice were easily assessable, but if they weren't I still think he would've found a way to go on his spree. Whether that would be a baseball bat, to a slingshot I don't know. May not of gotten over 30 people, but I don't think stiffer gun laws would prevent  these types of killings. I think they'd just be done with a different weapon. 

You're right, it might not prevent these types of killings but........ 

...........what it could've done is reduce the number of people slain. The timeline was two minutes in the school with the coroner saying each victim had more then one wound. If it was a lesser weapon as you suggest, the chances of stopping him would be greater for those who died trying. With him having an assault rifle they had no chance. And the chances of him killing that many people in two minutes with a lesser weapon then a gun ? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I feel the erosion of our values, morality, productivity, and education need to be addressed.  As a society, we've fallen from the absolute top of the ladder in virtually everything, and that's happened because basically, we think we're too advanced to place any boundaries on acceptability.

As a people, our distinction between right and wrong is blurred, and as we become more desensatized, the violence, laziness and stupidy escalate.  Our 2 countries just don't have the standards anymore.  When we start increasing the ratio of smart, productive, focused, well rounded citizens, everything, including violent crime will start to go the other way.

These kind of things have always happenned unfortunately...but they rarely happenned here.

The gun law logic reminds me of neighbors I had a few years ago.  Nice people, good jobs.  They caught their 11 year old throwing apples at cars passing the house.  They caught him again, and this time felt they really had to firmly address the problem.  What did they do?

They cut down the apple tree.

Unfortunately, these kind of parenting skills, are anything but rare.  We're increasingly becoming a society that deals with problems in this fashion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

...........what it could've done is reduce the number of people slain. The timeline was two minutes in the school with the coroner saying each victim had more then one wound. If it was a lesser weapon as you suggest, the chances of stopping him would be greater for those who died trying. With him having an assault rifle they had no chance. And the chances of him killing that many people in two minutes with a lesser weapon then a gun ? 

You'll get no argument from me about your logic or way of thinking. I agree with you 100%. However, where do you draw the line with gun laws? Do you make it so that each individual in the house hold that has a gun goes thru a physiatric elvaluation? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

You'll get no argument from me about your logic or way of thinking. I agree with you 100%. However, where do you draw the line with gun laws? Do you make it so that each individual in the house hold that has a gun goes thru a physiatric elvaluation? 

Whatever it takes. 

If part of the answer is video games. Then do something in that area. 

If part of it is mental health ( it is ). Then do something also.

But to turn a blind eye to guns and say it's going to happen no matter what the gun laws are. Well, that's definitely not the answer. How does one know this ?

Having a gun is turning these people into killing machines no matter what the issue is behind why it's happening.

Status quo is not the answer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Whatever it takes. 

If part of the answer is video games. Then do something in that area. 

If part of it is mental health ( it is ). Then do something also.

But to turn a blind eye to guns and say it's going to happen no matter what the gun laws are. Well, that's definitely not the answer. How does one know this ?

Having a gun is turning these people into killing machines no matter what the issue is behind why it's happening.

Status quo is not the answer.

I hope you're not quoting me as saying to turn a blind eye. I certainly think that something needs to be done, but changing the law is only a small solution. The problem lies with the individual who gains access to guns, video games, or violent movies. As the old saying goes. "Guns don't kill people...People kill people!" So, I think the money needs to be spent moreso on fixing broken people, not trying to keep broken people away from things that they can use to hurt others. That's next to impossible to do. There's far too many things out there for broken people to use. There's a lot of things out there that can help these individuals so that they don't do these terrifying things. I'm not saying NOT to increase gun laws, but I am saying don't just say..."OK we put the stricter gun laws into place, our work is done." and wash your hands of it. While in the meantime these unhealthy individuals still walk around using something else to kill with. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

There is no rhyme or reason as to why whack jobs do what they do. Why do grown men rape/fondle young children. Is there a video game for that? Some people are just sick in the head. Theres plenty of young people in this country who are raised along side weapons and dont go on mass killing sprees. Even more who play Battlefield 3 and Call Of Duty and don't go out and reanact it at a local school. Now would these children and school staff be alive today if he didnt have access to these weapons? The cowards who did Columbine didnt have houses with weapons in it. Never stopped them.

Whack jobs will do what they do. You can never 100% defend against someone who is willing to die for their cause.

You people who are blaming guns, video games and movies are looking behind the wrong door. I'm not even sure there is a door with an answer behind it. I do know that the media sensationalizing these things isnt helping prevent future tragedies. Quick, off of the top of your head, name one victim from the Virginia Tech incident. One victim from Columbine..Now in 2 years will you remember  any of the victims names or the shooters name? His name is plastered everywhere. Add that to the fact that he is sick in the head and you already have a nut job somewhere plotting something...That is why these tragedies are becoming more and more common.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to bosbruins2011cup's comment:

For all the liberals who wana ban guns and go against the constitution ( seems popular these days). Do you think changes in the laws will keep criminals from getting guns? I mean we all know criminals never break any laws right? Banning citizens from being able to own/carry guns would only make it easier for law breaking wack jobs to go on a rampage against defensless inocent people.

So it's the gun-ho that have to make and change the laws , right ?  live free or die ?

It's very simple, less guns = less people need to die. 

Imagine that in England where guns are banned the criminals are breaking in to every house hold killing and stealing off of the innocent with no guns.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

There is no rhyme or reason as to why whack jobs do what they do. Why do grown men rape/fondle young children. Is there a video game for that? Some people are just sick in the head. Theres plenty of young people in this country who are raised along side weapons and dont go on mass killing sprees. Even more who play Battlefield 3 and Call Of Duty and don't go out and reanact it at a local school. Now would these children and school staff be alive today if he didnt have access to these weapons? The cowards who did Columbine didnt have houses with weapons in it. Never stopped them.

Whack jobs will do what they do. You can never 100% defend against someone who is willing to die for their cause.

You people who are blaming guns, video games and movies are looking behind the wrong door. I'm not even sure there is a door with an answer behind it. I do know that the media sensationalizing these things isnt helping prevent future tragedies. Quick, off of the top of your head, name one victim from the Virginia Tech incident. One victim from Columbine..Now in 2 years will you remember  any of the victims names or the shooters name? His name is plastered everywhere. Add that to the fact that he is sick in the head and you already have a nut job somewhere plotting something...That is why these tragedies are becoming more and more common.

Kel. I respect your & Shupes opinion on this subject more than anyone on here, because of what you do for a living & you see it first hand moreso than anyone else as far as dealing with whack jobs. However, not even trying to fix something of this magnitude is almost as bad as the tragedies themselves, no?

You're right there's no doorway that will have all the answers. However, you have to knock on some doors to get answers. Throwing your hands in the air & saying. "There's nothing we can do about it!" That's not how this world revolved into what it is. Help the mentally disturbed & increase laws of owning a weapon isn't the be all end all, but it would be a start. Look at the DUI laws & how much they've changed over the yrs. No law is going to be a 100% deterent. There will always be these tragedies until the end of time. However, as a citizen & being a decent human being is it not an unwritten law to help those who can't help themselves? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Kel. I respect your & Shupes opinion on this subject more than anyone on here, because of what you do for a living & you see it first hand moreso than anyone else as far as dealing with whack jobs. However, not even trying to fix something of this magnitude is almost as bad as the tragedies themselves, no?

You're right there's no doorway that will have all the answers. However, you have to knock on some doors to get answers. Throwing your hands in the air & saying. "There's nothing we can do about it!" That's not how this world revolved into what it is. Help the mentally disturbed & increase laws of owning a weapon isn't the be all end all, but it would be a start. Look at the DUI laws & how much they've changed over the yrs. No law is going to be a 100% deterent. There will always be these tragedies until the end of time. However, as a citizen & being a decent human being is it not an unwritten law to help those who can't help themselves? 

By no means am i suggesting there is nothing you can do. I just dont think video games are the problem. I did suggest in an earlier post assigning a police officer to every school. Will that end these tragedies as we know it? Can't say, but it  sure would limit the amount of deaths and perhaps the presence of the officer and the nut job not sure if he will be able to carry out his plan is enough to deter him, isnt it worth a try?

By all accounts so far, there were no signs this individual was capable of doing something as horrific as this. So now what? Ban guns? Nobody more than myself would like nothing more than to show up at a scene 100% positive I'm the only one with a firearm. Never happen. Heroin is illegal to have, yet show me a community in the country that doesnt have at least one person effected by it. You'll never be 100% sure of stopping these but you have to try your best to help prevent them. I think an officer at every school is a good start, and I'm 100% biased due to my proffesion. They can carry out there horrific plan anywhere there is a large gethering of people,like movie theatres and malls, and it' fiscally unrealistic to have an officer on every street corner, but I would make the schools a priority, and again. I'm 100% biased due to being a father of 4 and by recent events.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

By no means am i suggesting there is nothing you can do. I just dont think video games are the problem. I did suggest in an earlier post assigning a police officer to every school. Will that end these tragedies as we know it? Can't say, but it  sure would limit the amount of deaths and perhaps the presence of the officer and the nut job not sure if he will be able to carry out his plan is enough to deter him, isnt it worth a try?

By all accounts so far, there were no signs this individual was capable of doing something as horrific as this. So now what? Ban guns? Nobody more than myself would like nothing more than to show up at a scene 100% positive I'm the only one with a firearm. Never happen. Heroin is illegal to have, yet show me a community in the country that doesnt have at least one person effected by it. You'll never be 100% sure of stopping these but you have to try your best to help prevent them. I think an officer at every school is a good start, and I'm 100% biased due to my proffesion. They can carry out there horrific plan anywhere there is a large gethering of people,like movie theatres and malls, and it' fiscally unrealistic to have an officer on every street corner, but I would make the schools a priority, and again. I'm 100% biased due to being a father of 4 and by recent events.

[/QUOTE]

Kel, I would love to live in a community where it is possible to have an officer if every school.  I just don't see how any jurisdiction could swing it financially.  If there is such a place, I'd like to move there.  Think of all the other issues they could address.  Maybe no more amber alerts, no more windowless vans patroling our playgrounds.  The end of drug dealing in the schools.  Sounds great. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to scooter244's comment:

Kel, I would love to live in a community where it is possible to have an officer if every school.  I just don't see how any jurisdiction could swing it financially.  If there is such a place, I'd like to move there.  Think of all the other issues they could address.  Maybe no more amber alerts, no more windowless vans patroling our playgrounds.  The end of drug dealing in the schools.  Sounds great. 

Your right Scooter, and it would be nice. I'm done talking about this now, lets just keep those effected in our thoughts. They have some days ahead of them I wouldnt wish on anyone. Parents dropped their kids off at school last week  and now have to make arrangements to bury them this week, along with the other victims. Thats where my thoughts will be.

Hug your kids, love your kids, and do right by them.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

I feel the erosion of our values, morality, productivity, and education need to be addressed.  As a society, we've fallen from the absolute top of the ladder in virtually everything, and that's happened because basically, we think we're too advanced to place any boundaries on acceptability.

As a people, our distinction between right and wrong is blurred, and as we become more desensatized, the violence, laziness and stupidy escalate.  Our 2 countries just don't have the standards anymore.  When we start increasing the ratio of smart, productive, focused, well rounded citizens, everything, including violent crime will start to go the other way.

These kind of things have always happenned unfortunately...but they rarely happenned here.

The gun law logic reminds me of neighbors I had a few years ago.  Nice people, good jobs.  They caught their 11 year old throwing apples at cars passing the house.  They caught him again, and this time felt they really had to firmly address the problem.  What did they do?

They cut down the apple tree.

Unfortunately, these kind of parenting skills, are anything but rare.  We're increasingly becoming a society that deals with problems in this fashion.

Amen steve.  This blatant and frequent disregard for human life is frighteningly regular.  I don't specifically mean Friday's tragedy but simply everyday.  Look the wrong way at somebody and who knows what could happen? 

Makes me wonder what's in store for future generations.   It's like there's a massive deterioration of morality and accountability going on.

• Sections
    Shortcuts