I know this is a hockey forum but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: I know this is a hockey forum but...

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel the erosion of our values, morality, productivity, and education need to be addressed.  As a society, we've fallen from the absolute top of the ladder in virtually everything, and that's happened because basically, we think we're too advanced to place any boundaries on acceptability.

As a people, our distinction between right and wrong is blurred, and as we become more desensatized, the violence, laziness and stupidy escalate.  Our 2 countries just don't have the standards anymore.  When we start increasing the ratio of smart, productive, focused, well rounded citizens, everything, including violent crime will start to go the other way.

These kind of things have always happenned unfortunately...but they rarely happenned here.

The gun law logic reminds me of neighbors I had a few years ago.  Nice people, good jobs.  They caught their 11 year old throwing apples at cars passing the house.  They caught him again, and this time felt they really had to firmly address the problem.  What did they do?

They cut down the apple tree.

Unfortunately, these kind of parenting skills, are anything but rare.  We're increasingly becoming a society that deals with problems in this fashion.

[/QUOTE]

Amen steve.  This blatant and frequent disregard for human life is frighteningly regular.  I don't specifically mean Friday's tragedy but simply everyday.  Look the wrong way at somebody and who knows what could happen? 

Makes me wonder what's in store for future generations.   It's like there's a massive deterioration of morality and accountability going on.

[/QUOTE]

IS DEAD! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

a good start would be to reinstate the assalt-weapons ban do there. Lanza did so much damage in 2 minutes....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

There needs to be an all of the above approach.  Assault rifle reduction, more stingent regulations on television programming and internet accountability.

Lawmakers need to agree on a new bill that bans assault weapons with large capacity magazines.

The FCC needs to stop allowing programs like Criminals Minds and others like it to pump that filth into our homes.

And Congress needs to come up with a bill that requires internet providers to offer 3 different "lanes" of service at the gateway level:  An adult gateway.  A 12-17yo gateway.  And a childrens gateway.  Then, if a modem is logged in as a 12-17yo gateway, an M rated game is automatically blocked from access.  It's just that simple.

Baning guns, alone, is not the answer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no rhyme or reason as to why whack jobs do what they do. Why do grown men rape/fondle young children. Is there a video game for that? Some people are just sick in the head. Theres plenty of young people in this country who are raised along side weapons and dont go on mass killing sprees. Even more who play Battlefield 3 and Call Of Duty and don't go out and reanact it at a local school. Now would these children and school staff be alive today if he didnt have access to these weapons? The cowards who did Columbine didnt have houses with weapons in it. Never stopped them.

Whack jobs will do what they do. You can never 100% defend against someone who is willing to die for their cause.

You people who are blaming guns, video games and movies are looking behind the wrong door. I'm not even sure there is a door with an answer behind it. I do know that the media sensationalizing these things isnt helping prevent future tragedies. Quick, off of the top of your head, name one victim from the Virginia Tech incident. One victim from Columbine..Now in 2 years will you remember  any of the victims names or the shooters name? His name is plastered everywhere. Add that to the fact that he is sick in the head and you already have a nut job somewhere plotting something...That is why these tragedies are becoming more and more common.

[/QUOTE]

There are many people more qualified then us who would disagree with this. It might be only part of the problem, but still contributing factors in some instances. To say they are not is wrong imo.

Put these together with people who have mental health problems and........

Society also attaches a stigma to people going through mental illnesses. 

Some think they are nut jobs without the possibility of being anything else but problematic down the road. They are people who are ill with conditions that can be helped with treatment. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

a good start would be to reinstate the assalt-weapons ban do there. Lanza did so much damage in 2 minutes....

[/QUOTE]

He did it with two handguns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There needs to be an all of the above approach.  Assault rifle reduction, more stingent regulations on television programming and internet accountability.

Lawmakers need to agree on a new bill that bans assault weapons with large capacity magazines.

The FCC needs to stop allowing programs like Criminals Minds and others like it to pump that filth into our homes.

And Congress needs to come up with a bill that requires internet providers to offer 3 different "lanes" of service at the gateway level:  An adult gateway.  A 12-17yo gateway.  And a childrens gateway.  Then, if a modem is logged in as a 12-17yo gateway, an M rated game is automatically blocked from access.  It's just that simple.

Baning guns, alone, is not the answer.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you think people should be better parents. 

When I was a kid, I used to go to the theater with my family to see some pretty violent movies.  I remember being 14 and going with my grandfather to see "Platoon".  My mom took me and my brother to see "Rambo".  Every kid in the nation went to see the Star Wars trilogy.  I own guns.  I haven't shot anyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is no rhyme or reason as to why whack jobs do what they do. Why do grown men rape/fondle young children. Is there a video game for that? Some people are just sick in the head. Theres plenty of young people in this country who are raised along side weapons and dont go on mass killing sprees. Even more who play Battlefield 3 and Call Of Duty and don't go out and reanact it at a local school. Now would these children and school staff be alive today if he didnt have access to these weapons? The cowards who did Columbine didnt have houses with weapons in it. Never stopped them.

Whack jobs will do what they do. You can never 100% defend against someone who is willing to die for their cause.

You people who are blaming guns, video games and movies are looking behind the wrong door. I'm not even sure there is a door with an answer behind it. I do know that the media sensationalizing these things isnt helping prevent future tragedies. Quick, off of the top of your head, name one victim from the Virginia Tech incident. One victim from Columbine..Now in 2 years will you remember  any of the victims names or the shooters name? His name is plastered everywhere. Add that to the fact that he is sick in the head and you already have a nut job somewhere plotting something...That is why these tragedies are becoming more and more common.

[/QUOTE]

There are many people more qualified then us who would disagree with this. It might be only part of the problem, but still contributing factors in some instances. To say they are not is wrong imo.

Some think they are nut jobs without the possibility of being anything else but problematic down the road. They are people who are ill with conditions that can be helped with treatment. 

[/QUOTE]

Your thoughts on mental health and "stigma's' are interesting.    I think your opinion that these people are perceived as "problematic" is old school thinking.  Today, society is the polar opposite.  Every process imaginable is instituted to either prove they're really no different than the rest of society, and should be treated as such, or.....their healed. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sounds like you think people should be better parents. 

When I was a kid, I used to go to the theater with my family to see some pretty violent movies.  I remember being 14 and going with my grandfather to see "Platoon".  My mom took me and my brother to see "Rambo".  Every kid in the nation went to see the Star Wars trilogy.  I own guns.  I haven't shot anyone.

[/QUOTE]

All of the above.  Parenting, gun reduction and corporate accountability.

Blood, gore and depravity at 9:00pm on national television is not a responsible programming decision.  If you want to see that kind of stuff order HBO.  it shouldn't be on national television.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

First off and most importantly this event was a tragedy. With that being said it is ridiculous that people use events such as this to further their gun ban position or agenda. With that being said and because others brought up the arguments prior I feel that it makes it less offensive to mention my thoughts on this. I'll start off by saying that my friend from college's cousin's son was killed on Friday.

As far as gun control laws. CT is already strict. The fact is that (and I may be wrong but I read this on one of the news sites) that over 95% of gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained firearms. The problem doesn't lie with those that legally purchase the firearms, it has to do with how they are stored and kept. It is too easy to gain illegal access to firearms once they leave the gun shop. Also, the media uses every possible chance to jump on assault rifles. I heard about this at about 9:45 AM on Friday. The first reports stated that the assailant used a .223 rifle to carry out the attack. The media has a vendetta against assault rifles because it later became apparent that he never used the rifle but rather 2 handguns. EDIT: So apparently I have no read reports that it was the rifle that was used primarily. I give up on the media. They can never seem to get it right. With that being said the media still does have a vendetta against assault type weapons.

Another problem is that if someone is as angry as the individual that caused this atrocity then there is absolutely no way to stop them. Here's something to think about. A gun is loud. As soon as the first shot was fired it became abundantly clear something was going on. In China in the same week as this someone broke into a school with a knife and cut 22 school children. A knife attack is silent. It takes longer to deal damage and is less likely fatal, but the ceiling for the number of attacks increases due to a lack of warning.

I'm not sure if anyone here had heard this account of the shooting in the mall in Oregon but it is certainly something interesting to think about. Not to mention the story itself was basically buried by the media. Cliffnotes on the article is that there was an individual in the mall with a concealed weapons permit who drew on the assailant and forced him into the hallway where the ordeal ended and he took his life.

http://www.infowars.com/report-armed-man-help-stop-oregon-mall-shooting/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your thoughts on mental health and "stigma's' are interesting.    I think your opinion that these people are perceived as "problematic" is old school thinking.  Today, society is the polar opposite.  Every process imaginable is instituted to either prove they're really no different than the rest of society, and should be treated as such, or.....their healed. 

[/QUOTE]

"Some" means what it means.

My opinion isn't included in the "some". I worked in health care with the mentally ill and seen it up close and personal with "some". So do I agree with your comments ? No, not all of society is the total polar opposite. "Some" do think this way.  

P.S. If old school means as recent as 2 years ago when I worked in that field then I guess you're right. Otherwise..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i am a teacher in a  public high school. as of today there are new security measures being implemented to increase student safety. i'm sure many other schools are doing the same. i give our superintendant a lot of credit in wasting no time in making our school a safer place for our children. please don't ask me to  get into the specific changes and additions. i'd rather keep a would be criminal in the dark as to what they are.  my brother is also a teacher, his not-quite-tongue-in-cheek solution is to arm the teachers. so sad for those families in connecticut. our thoughts are with them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In my opinion, significant gun control laws will not be possible in the U.S. simply because the gun culture is too embedded in your society. You have the "from my cold, dead hands..." group, who will never give them up without a fight to the death.  You have the most powerful lobby group in the country threatening senators and reps with wholesale vote losses. 

Finally, you have what I believe to be a national mentality that firearms are a viable method to solve disputes.  Whether it be road rage, marital conflicts, business issues with disgruntled past employees, or a way to silence those voices in your head, when a gun is available for use, too many people seem to choose them.  Generations of violence seen in person, on the nightly news, in TV and movies, and in FPS video games have, I believe, desensitized many people to the actual consequences of pulling a trigger while aiming a firearm at a human being.

While there will always be those who cite the situation of the woman who defended herself from a recent break-in by firing a shotgun, does that side of the equation balance out the horrific incidents we have been seeing in Portland, Aurora, Oak Creek and now Newtown? 

At what point does the nation decide that "the benefits of this Right To Bear Arms do not justify the costs"?

Perhaps, despite the cries from the NRA that this will be the "thin edge of the wedge", a ban on assault weapons, which have no use in hunting, and are designed solely to wipe out human beings with frightening efficiency, will finally gain some traction.

And now, the disclaimer: as many of you know, I live north of the border, so I am an 'outsider' in this debate, and do not profess to be an expert in this subject, by any means.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i am a teacher in a  public high school. as of today there are new security measures being implemented to increase student safety. i'm sure many other schools are doing the same. i give our superintendant a lot of credit in wasting no time in making our school a safer place for our children. please don't ask me to  get into the specific changes and additions. i'd rather keep a would be criminal in the dark as to what they are.  my brother is also a teacher, his not-quite-tongue-in-cheek solution is to arm the teachers. so sad for those families in connecticut. our thoughts are with them. 

[/QUOTE]
    Poor students! No wonder this generation is so messed up with the likes of you teaching them anything is beyond horrifying. The fact that someone who types everything in lower case & teaches children shows that getting a teachers degree & license in this day & age can be found at the botom of a Cracker Jack box! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In my opinion, significant gun control laws will not be possible in the U.S. simply because the gun culture is too embedded in your society. You have the "from my cold, dead hands..." group, who will never give them up without a fight to the death.  You have the most powerful lobby group in the country threatening senators and reps with wholesale vote losses. 

Finally, you have what I believe to be a national mentality that firearms are a viable method to solve disputes.  Whether it be road rage, marital conflicts, business issues with disgruntled past employees, or a way to silence those voices in your head, when a gun is available for use, too many people seem to choose them.  Generations of violence seen in person, on the nightly news, in TV and movies, and in FPS video games have, I believe, desensitized many people to the actual consequences of pulling a trigger while aiming a firearm at a human being.

While there will always be those who cite the situation of the woman who defended herself from a recent break-in by firing a shotgun, does that side of the equation balance out the horrific incidents we have been seeing in Portland, Aurora, Oak Creek and now Newtown? 

At what point does the nation decide that "the benefits of this Right To Bear Arms do not justify the costs"?

Perhaps, despite the cries from the NRA that this will be the "thin edge of the wedge", a ban on assault weapons, which have no use in hunting, and are designed solely to wipe out human beings with frightening efficiency, will finally gain some traction.

And now, the disclaimer: as many of you know, I live north of the border, so I am an 'outsider' in this debate, and do not profess to be an expert in this subject, by any means.

[/QUOTE]

I think you're right in a lot of what you say 49, but I honestly hope that you're wrong that changes can't be made.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Poor students! No wonder this generation is so messed up with the likes of you teaching them anything is beyond horrifying. The fact that someone who types everything in lower case & teaches children shows that getting a teachers degree & license in this day & age can be found at the botom of a Cracker Jack box! 

[/QUOTE]

i'm guessing english is your second language. the two sentences you posted have so many grammatical errors, it would take half an hour to correct all the mistakes. my typing in lower cases is intentional, unlike your garbled english. sorry to those of you who have to read this nonsense, on a thread of such serious nature.  go to the miro satan link to see what has NOB's britches in a bunch.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i'm guessing english is your second language. the two sentences you posted have so many grammatical errors, it would take half an hour to correct all the mistakes. my typing in lower cases is intentional, unlike your garbled english. sorry to those of you who have to read this nonsense, on a thread of such serious nature.  go to the miro satan link to see what has NOB's britches in a bunch.   

[/QUOTE]

Yes Sigmund!

Btw you only need 1 space after a period. Well done Teach! Parents must feel very comfortable knowing you're teaching their children! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Glad you mentioned that incident. See my link above about the licensed citizen with a concealed weapon that averted the killer to a back hallway and ultimately his suicide in the Clackamas Mall shooting.

Additionally as I mentioned 95% of firearm related murders are carried out with illegal firearms. It's not the law abiding citizens that purchase the guns that are the problem it is their storage after they take them home. If the background check also required a safety check of how the guns were stored or if all guns were sold with a trigger lock or something to that effect I am inclined to think that illegal possession of firearms would go down. It is very rare that a licensed individual with a legally obtained firearm commit any crimes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Horrific crime where so many young innocent children were senselessly murdered.  The adults who gave up there lives deserve respect, many of us would have done the same in those circumstances. Most people who live in the United States are decent, kind, loving, and considerate people.  Many of us as parents were deeply affected by watching other parents deal with the horrific crime, we are good people.  

With regards to morality, our society is not morally corrupt!  Stop that, every generation goes through self effacing making the troubles of a society simple and trivial.  Study history, like read "Devil in the White City", killers existed many years ago.  Does anyone think things were more morally acceptable in the 1930s? No blame just analyze and attempt to make these terrible things not happen.  It is not to say something should not be done, there are numerous steps to make schools safer.  The President is correct, this is enough.  I am a former teacher btw, (I am not correcting my gramatical errors either!)   

Guns? Well, our good neighbors to the north probably have more guns per capita than the US.  It has it's serial killers etc. but not as many murders as a country.  It is not soley guns.  Think on the subject:  the U.S. is a more hetergenous society with differening cultures meshing into a larger one (although that was not the case in Norway), change is rapid today especially with jobs in a global economy making the youth of the US seem a bit disconnected, etc.    My point, there are many factors why some people commit horrendous crimes given the conditions our 21st society.  Guns are not the reason solely neither is gaming.

Gaming?  I agree with the above posters.  Things can be done to limit access to violent games.  Yet, I played Army with my friends when I was a wee boy.  I hunted when I was a teenager. I watched Looney Tunes, the Road Runner, Combat, Clint Eastwood. Need I say more!  Anti social behavior as an outcome of gaming could have some merit, ok, yet TV is not too interactive!  Thus I find it hard to decipher gaming as the root of violence by young people against their own generation.  

North thanks for bringing up the subject, I have responded because I think things can be done to protect our children.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Horrific crime where so many young innocent children were senselessly murdered.  The adults who gave up there lives deserve respect, many of us would have done the same in those circumstances. Most people who live in the United States are decent, kind, loving, and considerate people.  Many of us as parents were deeply affected by watching other parents deal with the horrific crime, we are good people.  

With regards to morality, our society is not morally corrupt!  Stop that, every generation goes through self effacing making the troubles of a society simple and trivial.  Study history, like read "Devil in the White City", killers existed many years ago.  Does anyone think things were more morally acceptable in the 1930s? No blame just analyze and attempt to make these terrible things not happen.  It is not to say something should not be done, there are numerous steps to make schools safer.  The President is correct, this is enough.  I am a former teacher btw, (I am not correcting my gramatical errors either!)   

Guns? Well, our good neighbors to the north probably have more guns per capita than the US.  It has it's serial killers etc. but not as many murders as a country.  It is not soley guns.  Think on the subject:  the U.S. is a more hetergenous society with differening cultures meshing into a larger one (although that was not the case in Norway), change is rapid today especially with jobs in a global economy making the youth of the US seem a bit disconnected, etc.    My point, there are many factors why some people commit horrendous crimes given the conditions our 21st society.  Guns are not the reason solely neither is gaming.

Gaming?  I agree with the above posters.  Things can be done to limit access to violent games.  Yet, I played Army with my friends when I was a wee boy.  I hunted when I was a teenager. I watched Looney Tunes, the Road Runner, Combat, Clint Eastwood. Need I say more!  Anti social behavior as an outcome of gaming could have some merit, ok, yet TV is not too interactive!  Thus I find it hard to decipher gaming as the root of violence by young people against their own generation.  

North thanks for bringing up the subject, I have responded because I think things can be done to protect our children.  

[/QUOTE]

When it comes to death,  I don't think there's a more honorable form than to have it come while saving the life of another, especially a child! They're hero's in my book!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Country  Guns per 100 residents
              (2007) 

United States 88.8     1

Serbia 58.2                2 [5]

Yemen 54.8                3

Switzerland 45.7        4

Cyprus 36.4                5

Saudi Arabia 35          6

Iraq 34.2                    7  

Finland 32                  8 [6]

Uruguay 31.8             9

Sweden 31.6            10

Norway 31.3             11  

France 31.2              12

Canada 30.8            13

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

(2007) 

United States 88.8 1

Serbia 58.2 2 [5]

Yemen 54.8 3

Switzerland 45.7 4

Cyprus 36.4 5

Saudi Arabia 35 6

Iraq 34.2 7  

Finland 32 8 [6]

Uruguay 31.8 9

Sweden 31.6 10

Norway 31.3 11  

France 31.2 12

Canada 30.8 13

Nice Find Chowda!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

What a remarkable little girl, but how scarred wil she be? May GOD protect this angel.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/abc-faking-death-save-her-080000584.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Finally, you have what I believe to be a national mentality that firearms are a viable method to solve disputes.

[/QUOTE]

This is 100% false.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

(2007) 

United States 88.8 1

Serbia 58.2 2 [5]

Yemen 54.8 3

Switzerland 45.7 4

Cyprus 36.4 5

Saudi Arabia 35 6

Iraq 34.2 7  

Finland 32 8 [6]

Uruguay 31.8 9

Sweden 31.6 10

Norway 31.3 11  

France 31.2 12

Canada 30.8 13

Nice Find Chowda!

[/QUOTE]

Chowda,

I can assure you 88.8 out of every 100 residents in the United States does not legally own a firearm.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

i'm guessing english is your second language. the two sentences you posted have so many grammatical errors, it would take half an hour to correct all the mistakes. my typing in lower cases is intentional, unlike your garbled english. sorry to those of you who have to read this nonsense, on a thread of such serious nature.  go to the miro satan link to see what has NOB's britches in a bunch.  

[/QUOTE]

Don't mind Nite.  He's really not that smart to begin with anyway.