I miss Bergie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: I miss Bergie

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Well just heard he was seen at the game last night.  Good news ?

That would be great if hes up and around, it was interesting the in between period discussions on concussions, altho i have suffered i never seeked treatment after, and i can relate to alot of whats going on with bergeron.

Nas said * the 2nd line center* not a 2nd line center.

Anyhow 1st, 2nd doesnt matter because every team would love to have a bergeron.

I hope all is well for bergeron and he comes back healthy.

On question i have tho is, do you think if bergy centered horton and lucic, that it would a les physical game for bergeron, or would his style still get him slammed alot, i mean marchand and seguin, they really arent that physical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

i don't think calling bergy a second line center is fair. First off, he centers what I would say is a top 5-10 line in the NHL. in fact, I'll say top 5. Centers I would take over bergeron is a short list. Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Datsyuk, and maybe eric staal if it's the staal from this year and not the last two.

I'm a big Bergeron fan but I don't think he's Superman.  Come on.  He's a defensive forward who hasn't topped 22 goals since his the year after Lockout #1.  Here are some other centers that many would put ahead of Bergeron:

Toews

Getzlaf

Sedin

Parise

Kopitar

Nash

Malkin

Giroux

Lecavalier

it was very late. giroux, malkin, (nash isn't a center), Getzlaf and Toews, absolutely agree. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Sedin? Not without his brother.

Kopitar? Pass in my opinion.

Malkin and Crosby... Ok I'll give you that.

Giroux? Eh.

Getzlaf, not last years version...

Lecavalier? Pass. Too old.

Toews - Yes.

Datsyuk - Yes.

So maybe top 5 center in the league unless you have your heart set on Giroux.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Giroux? Eh.

Toews - Yes.

Datsyuk - Yes.

stamkos? tavares?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Giroux? Eh.

Toews - Yes.

Datsyuk - Yes.

Lecavalier is 32. 

Why would you pass on Kopitar?  Is it because you haven't seen him enough?

With or without his brother, Henrik Sedin is an unreal center.

Last year was a tough year for the Ducks.  That doesn't diminish Getzlaf's abilities.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Bergeron probably is one of the most important and valuable center on the Bruins.  1st , 2nd line on the Bs.

As for teams like Pens, Ducks, Hawks and even Isles he will not be their no1 and maybe not even a no2 center.  This doesn't mean the Bruins are not deep at center ,  it just means the teams I just mentioned have super offensive centers and they'll always overlap a great defensive center.

Look at Team Canada in Vancouver Olympics and where Bergeron figured in.

With a this being said he's irreplaceable on the Bruins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Bergeron probably is one of the most important and valuable centers on the Bruins.  

Don't oversell, him, Legion, or you'll have have the Pevsposse hunting you down! 

I know what you mean - that Bergeron's importance to the Bruins magnifies our sense of what he is as a player.  And in a conventional team-build, you look to the #1 C to provide as much offense as possible.  The straw, as it were (but Reggie, what kind of man drinks drinks that come with a straw? "Bartender, give me a double Lagavulin neat...and do you have one of those bendy straws?").

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yes, but does he backcheck?Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Giroux? Eh.

Toews - Yes.

Datsyuk - Yes.

Lecavalier is 32. 

With or without his brother, Henrik Sedin is an unreal center.

Last year was a tough year for the Ducks.  That doesn't diminish Getzlaf's abilities.

I say no Kopitar because he started slow this year. But then again the Kings did as a whole. I'm not as familiar with his game though I admit.

Sedin is good, but he didn't out-duel Bergeron in the playoffs in 2011. I'll stick with Bergeron.

Agree, last year was tough on the Ducks. If its not an off year I'll take Getzlaf.

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Giroux? Eh.

Toews - Yes.

Datsyuk - Yes.

stamkos? tavares?

Brain f@rt. Add Stamkos. Really? Can't say F@rt? Ridiculous.

Tavares isn't as good defensively, I would prefer Bergeron because of his complete game.

Solidly in the discussion as a top 10 after some re-thinking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know how I'd go about slotting Bergeron against the top C's in the game.  We've been treating this like a game of pick-up where you pick the team in a certain order, but that's a different thing, I think, than saying where Bergeron should fit in terms of what he brings to the table for this or any team.  On the list people have proposed, I see six guys I would take over Bergeron in almost any circumstance, four guys who are, in my eyes, a wash in terms of overall capacity to impact the game and get your team wins, and one guy who has slipped below the Bergeron line.  There are other guys who aren't on the list who currently score more than PB.  E. Staal I put in the above category (great player).  Kadri, Backstrom, Ribiero, Duchene, Gagner, JT Superstar, Stepan, Koivu - I'd take Bergeron ahead of any of them.

Stamkos - best shooter in the game at C, no question, but an intriguing animal in that he's a C who gets more goals than assists.  A one-timer machine.  The only question in my mind is, once St.Louis is retired, will the Bolts have anyone who can feather those one-timer passes to him?  Can he maintain that 90+ point habit if he has to generate his own shot more often?  Remember 2010-11 when he had 24 goals in his first 30 games and ended the season with 45?  I think you have to take him above Bergeron because he's a dynamite scorer, but I don't think the gap in terms of overall impact is as high as some might think.

Crosby - No argument. Best offensive player in the game and plays a no-nonsense, straight-line game. 

Malkin - No argument.  Can put a team on his back when healthy.

Tavares - Looks more and more like a franchise centre. 

Datyuk - A more creative offensive player than Bergeron, and more effective on the PP.

Toews - I've said a lot about how much I value Toews, including that he's the one guy who, if he were traded for Bergeron straight up, I would be more excited to get him than sad to see Bergeron go.  When healthy, goes on the world stage and dominates against the best players in the world.

Getzlaf - Prototypical size and skill, but is he the kind of dominant scorer that makes it an easy decision to take him over Bergeron?  What would the Ducks' top line do with Bergeron in in place of Getzlaf?  We know Bergeron and Perry play well together....  What would the Bruins' second line do with Getzlaf in place of Bergeron?  Getzlaf is also a 20-25 goal scorer most years - roughly comparable to Bergeron.  I'm tempted to say this is a question of two players who differ in what they bring to the table, but it isn't a tap in for Getzlaf.

Sedin - I actually like him better without his brother.  Bergeron actually has more goals over the last three years than Sedin, and I would have Bergeron on the ice in more key situations than Henrik.  Probably a wash, in my eyes.

Kopitar - Like Getzlaf, he's prototypical.  Doesn't score as much as Getzlaf, but doesn't play with Perry and Ryan, either.  Scores more goals.  But in terms of impact on games, etc., I think this is the stat that would make me put Bergeron and Kopitar in the same pick-em group: Cup season, Bergeron: 20 points.  Kopitar: 20 points.  Bergeron played 3 more games, but also had to deal with coming back after the concussion.

Giroux - Best player in the world?  Well, that passed quickly.  I like Giroux a lot, and, again, better offensive player, but it's not all about points.  Into the pick-em pile.

Lecavalier - I would take Bergeron before Vinny at this point, every day all day.  Not because of his calendar age but because he is only rarely the dominant force he once was.  He scores only slightly more than Bergeron. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Book, you said exactly what I was thinking in a far more concise and exact way than I ever could have. Thank you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No Joe Thornton on any of the lists? If Lecavalier is on the list I can't see how Thornton would be left off. Are we holding it against him that he's an ex Bruin? Vinny would trade resumes with Joe T all day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

No Joe Thornton on any of the lists? If Lecavalier is on the list I can't see how Thornton would be left off. Are we holding it against him that he's an ex Bruin? Vinny would trade resumes with Joe T all day.

Too soft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Too soft.

I'm sold.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I doubt that Kel because I'm sure Vinny is very fond of his Cup win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

If regular season production was being measured, Joe T would be there all day.  Come playoff time however, you will most likely find him behind the net OR not find him at all.  He needs to be an integral part of a deep playoff run to put him on the above list. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I doubt that Kel because I'm sure Vinny is very fond of his Cup win.

The Cup may be the deciding factor to some, but Thorntons teams have made the playoffs 12 times compared Lecavaliers team making 5 appearances. Thats a pretty significant amount. 782 Assists compared to 486, with Thornton having the one more year. Thornton has 87 points in 114 playoff games. Vinny has 52 in 63. I think both are terrific players, I just think Thornton is the better of the two.

Thorntons numbers are just too much to ignore. I have trouble holding the no cup thing against him, just like I wouldnt hold it against Marino.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I had him on my list.  I just call him JT Superstar.  Because I can't stand the guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Marino had a great arm, but there's no way he'd ever have won a Stanley Cup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

You are on fire today book, but I have to disagree. Are you trying tell me Marino wouldnt challenge Gretzky for all-time assists with Clayton and Duper on his wings? Clearly they were hockey players trapped in football bodies.

Poor Dan, he never had the goalie behind him...A turnstile of running backs named Leighton, Boucher and Casey in th backfield.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Saying Bergeron isn't one of the top 10 centers in the league is like saying Ozzie Smith wasn't when he was in his prime. Can't agree there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought Smith played shortstop, not centre.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

You are on fire today book, but I have to disagree. Are you trying tell me Marino wouldnt challenge Gretzky for all-time assists with Clayton and Duper on his wings? Clearly they were hockey players trapped in football bodies.

Poor Dan, he never had the goalie behind him...A turnstile of running backs named Leighton, Boucher and Casey in th backfield.

Reminds me of this - maybe my favorite commercial ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzcc8CHp9s

Of course, there's also the great series of Bobby Orr-Mr. Peanut Planter's ads.  Mr. Peanut could have killed a guy with his hipcheck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Cup may be the deciding factor to some, but Thorntons teams have made the playoffs 12 times compared Lecavaliers team making 5 appearances. Thats a pretty significant amount. 782 Assists compared to 486, with Thornton having the one more year. Thornton has 87 points in 114 playoff games. Vinny has 52 in 63. I think both are terrific players, I just think Thornton is the better of the two.

Thorntons numbers are just too much to ignore. I have trouble holding the no cup thing against him, just like I wouldnt hold it against Marino.

Come on, Kel.  The team's success doesn't define the player.  Look at Tavares and the Islanders.

Sections
Shortcuts