I started a Bruins blog

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: I started a Bruins blog

In Response to Re: I started a Bruins blog:
    In Response to Re: I started a Bruins blog : ^No good can come of this.
    Posted by BadHabitude

^Sometimes making accurate predictions is just like punching the easy button.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: I started a Bruins blog : ^Sometimes making accurate predictions is just like punching the easy button.
    Posted by BadHabitude

That one was as easy as predicting tomorrow will have 24 hours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

NAS, you should read your own posts..."why would anyone care what YOU think?", and also take your own advice..."make this your first and last post." i think everyone here sincerely hopes you are joking (in this ultra-doosh persona), to think that a person walks through life with your perspective/attitude is truly sad. you're the bully at school who gets off putting others down, i doubt this is "who you are" in reality, as it seems someone would have "put you in your place" by now. funny stuff, a tough guy hiding behind his computer screen. ooooh. what sux is when actually talking hockey, you are very knowledgeable. but some perverse part of your psyche gets off on putting others down. this is a problem you have within yourself- seek counseling.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

By sheer number of posts, there are no more put-down, board conduct policing, bullying "tough guy behind the computer screen" comments than those reacting to NAS.  Surely the irony of being condescending and insulting to someone in order to criticize them for being condescending and insulting is easy to spot?  NAS is NAS.  Feel free to disagree with him - I do from time to time.  I don't know if I've even changed his mind....

In this case, he has a point.  He may take it to an extreme when he recommends hockeyguy cease and desist, but he has a point.  If all you're doing is keeping a Bruins diary of material any regular reader of the Globe, NHL.com, and one or two other sites will surely know, then what's to attract eyeballs to your blog?  Nothing.

My opinion diverges from NAS's at this point, because quitting isn't the only answer.  Hockeyguy can do a couple of things: he can be satisfied with using his blog as a place to keep a record of the things that he finds interesting about the Bruins season and be content with the idea that it's a personal record and not of much interest to others.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I'm sure Fluto does it, KPD does it - keep a notebook of observations and facts.  The other, and more difficult option is to develop a perspective on the game that's insightful and different than the major outlets.  The hardest part there is that the perspective will also need to be credible to your audience.  A good example: if you handicap games.  Any monkey can throw scores at the wall.  A handicapper looks for relevant patterns of data that may indicate future outcomes.  So if you predict that the Bruins will beat Washington by two goals because Corvo has scored a PPG on Vokoun in 4 of the last 5 meetings, and because Ovechkin hasn't scored on Thomas in the last 8 meetings, the prediction needs to bear out and the reasons for it need to be relevant. 

Writing for an audience always begins with having something to say (not to repeat) and saying it well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

I swear every freaking thread at some point turns into NAS posting and then people attacking him and the back and forth ensuing, and it gets really annoying. If you dislike reading a post from any member so consistently ignore them and that's all.

This is almost as annoying as seeing every comment section to a globe article turning into political/immigration debates.

Back to the topic...

As much as an arsehole it makes me feel the others are right, if the blog brings nothing new to the table there is no reason for it to draw attention from the other established well known tables. But hey, if it's something you enjoy doing then by all means keep doing it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

bookboy, there's only one way to deal with a bully... bully him back. which of course is impossible in the cyber-world. NAS takes advantage of this, knowing there are no repercussions for disgusting behavior. i for one will never again respond to anything he posts(which i'm sure will break his heart), which is too bad, because when he's not busy belittling and claiming his superiority, he actually talks good hockey. in a world that is full of good and bad, he undoubtedly is contributing to the latter. i personally would rather read a bland blog that someone with GOOD intentions posted, than subject myself to reading another hate-filled NAS post. so that's what i'll do in the future. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

By sheer number of posts, there are no more put-down, board conduct policing, bullying "tough guy behind the computer screen" comments than those reacting to NAS.  Surely the irony of being condescending and insulting to someone in order to criticize them for being condescending and insulting is easy to spot?  NAS is NAS.  Feel free to disagree with him - I do from time to time.  I don't know if I've even changed his mind.... In this case, he has a point.  He may take it to an extreme when he recommends hockeyguy cease and desist, but he has a point.  If all you're doing is keeping a Bruins diary of material any regular reader of the Globe, NHL.com, and one or two other sites will surely know, then what's to attract eyeballs to your blog?  Nothing. My opinion diverges from NAS's at this point, because quitting isn't the only answer.  Hockeyguy can do a couple of things: he can be satisfied with using his blog as a place to keep a record of the things that he finds interesting about the Bruins season and be content with the idea that it's a personal record and not of much interest to others.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I'm sure Fluto does it, KPD does it - keep a notebook of observations and facts.  The other, and more difficult option is to develop a perspective on the game that's insightful and different than the major outlets.  The hardest part there is that the perspective will also need to be credible to your audience.  A good example: if you handicap games.  Any monkey can throw scores at the wall.  A handicapper looks for relevant patterns of data that may indicate future outcomes.  So if you predict that the Bruins will beat Washington by two goals because Corvo has scored a PPG on Vokoun in 4 of the last 5 meetings, and because Ovechkin hasn't scored on Thomas in the last 8 meetings, the prediction needs to bear out and the reasons for it need to be relevant.  Writing for an audience always begins with having something to say (not to repeat) and saying it well.
    Posted by Bookboy007

A+ Post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

bookboy, there's only one way to deal with a bully... bully him back. which of course is impossible in the cyber-world. NAS takes advantage of this, knowing there are no repercussions for disgusting behavior. i for one will never again respond to anything he posts(which i'm sure will break his heart), which is too bad, because when he's not busy belittling and claiming his superiority, he actually talks good hockey. in a world that is full of good and bad, he undoubtedly is contributing to the latter. i personally would rather read a bland blog that someone with GOOD intentions posted, than subject myself to reading another hate-filled NAS post. so that's what i'll do in the future. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I get where you're coming from adk.  I too believe standards of behavior need to be upheld whether it's on you neighborhood street corner or in cyber-space.  Too many people turning their backs on abhorrent behavior because it's not their problem or they think it's not worth dealing with.  It's everyone's responsibility to "police" the bullies. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The problem is less with the blogger and more with the over-saturated Bruins blogging world.  I know of about 10 (and there are many more) regular Bruins blogs with frequent updates.  Most of them are totally redundant.  The ones that thrive are the ones that offer something the others can't -- usually inside sources/information.  If you have a source in the organization or access to the players/coaches, you might post something that nobody else knows.  That is interesting.

Unfortunately most people have the disadvantage of not getting information before everyone else knows it.  Given that, it is very hard to be interesting, when there are ten other blogs providing recaps and analysis (and a lot of that happening here too).

So NAS has a valid point, rude or not, by asking "why is your blog interesting"?

Maybe you should combine your posts with bikini pictures of supermodels...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

scooter... i was raised "old school", if a complete stranger said or did something vulgar in front of us kids or my mom- my dad would "address" the situation in a very up front manner, which dissuaded further dispicable actions by that individual in our presence. of course, in a locker room or an appropriate environment- he had no problem with this, nor do i. but this is a public forum, certain standards of behavior must be adhered to. this was my example growing up, to NEVER stand by a let someone else deal with these people. it's funny how fast these bullies cower when someone looks them in the eye and refuses to let them act that way, lest pay the consequences. btw, no one ever has taken action against me or my father for using this proactive response. must be it works.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...or the threat of physical violence does.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

bookboy... the power of persuasion works. most bullies are just cowards who are attention seekers. they rely on the fact that 99% of the world will give in to their scare tactics. let them know you're not scared, and they abruptly change their tune. it's one thing to be violent, and another to let someone know you're not afraid of that violence, because your confident in your abilities to DEFEND YOURSELF. see that's another lesson i learned, NEVER throw the first punch. that way you'll always be defending yourself, and in the right. anyways, keep defending NAS, it speaks volumes regarding your character.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

bookboy... the power of persuasion works. most bullies are just cowards who are attention seekers. they rely on the fact that 99% of the world will give in to their scare tactics. let them know you're not scared, and they abruptly change their tune. it's one thing to be violent, and another to let someone know you're not afraid of that violence, because your confident in your abilities to DEFEND YOURSELF. see that's another lesson i learned, NEVER throw the first punch. that way you'll always be defending yourself, and in the right. anyways, keep defending NAS, it speaks volumes regarding your character.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Speaking of the obvious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gapc. Show gapc's posts

NAS, you should read your own posts..."why would anyone care what YOU think?", and also take your own advice..."make this your first and last post." i think everyone here sincerely hopes you are joking (in this ultra-doosh persona), to think that a person walks through life with your perspective/attitude is truly sad. you're the bully at school who gets off putting others down, i doubt this is "who you are" in reality, as it seems someone would have "put you in your place" by now. funny stuff, a tough guy hiding behind his computer screen. ooooh. what sux is when actually talking hockey, you are very knowledgeable. but some perverse part of your psyche gets off on putting others down. this is a problem you have within yourself- seek counseling.    
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Right on, adk!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Posted by adkbeesfan

If you're questioning my character because of what I've posted on this subject, it says volumes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

keep writing hockguy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by adkbeesfan

I went soft, pointing out that the blog offered nothing worth reading or nothing new.  The author asked for more.  I gave it to him. 

I don't spend my time putting people down.  I state facts.  If you fear the truth, go shine all of your participation trophies from little league and pretend the world is a perfect place.

And I, like everyone, make mistakes.  When it happens, I get pounded to China about it (see:  Mark Recchi as Assistant Coach).  I'm fine with it.  You didn't read me crying about it, or others crying for me.  Come down off your high horse at the Consolate of the Feelings Police.  It's a hockey forum.  The Knitting Club is elsewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

scooter... i was raised "old school", if a complete stranger said or did something vulgar in front of us kids or my mom- my dad would "address" the situation in a very up front manner, which dissuaded further dispicable actions by that individual in our presence. of course, in a locker room or an appropriate environment- he had no problem with this, nor do i. but this is a public forum, certain standards of behavior must be adhered to. this was my example growing up, to NEVER stand by a let someone else deal with these people. it's funny how fast these bullies cower when someone looks them in the eye and refuses to let them act that way, lest pay the consequences. btw, no one ever has taken action against me or my father for using this proactive response. must be it works.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I think it's great that your father defended his wife and kids in public.  Every man should.  I'm not sure how that is relevant here.  If you're the father, who is your wife, and which posters are your kids?  Is this your attempt to look me in the eye and refuse to let me act this way? 

Yes, certain standards are required.  No foul language (board rule).  No outright lying (civil rule).  No trolling (civil rule).  Is there is a standard that says, "If someone has a terrible idea in a world full of fighting, drinking and mayhem and asks for your opinion,  you are supposed to respond with words kind enough to make a third grade girl happy"?

I like the OP.  I even said that I was sorry to tell him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I don't think it's fair to say NAS has "problems" or "acts the way he does" because he's an a-whole in real life. I have said for a while, multiple times, that I feel NAS is arguably the most knowleagable poster on this forums (there are others-Chowda, Sandog, etc.). I still feel that way and enjoy his insight on everything Bruins. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He spoke how he felt. 

I might remind everyone that this is a first post. Can't expect it to be perfect or even close to perfect. We all make mistakes, like NAS said. He was just saying how he feels and I have no problem with that. Sure, he is sarcastic from time to time, but with the time that he dedicates to this forum, which is a lot (given his post count) I can tell two things A.) He has great passion about all things hockey-related and B.) He says how he feels-not just here, look at virtually all his posts.

No hard feelings what so ever.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Mature Response, B**ches!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Mature Response, B**ches!
    Posted by Bookboy007

Priceless ! Hee Hee .

Boston.com's version of Mother Theresa has just resorted to namecalling. Your angelic status has been revoked. I will no longer pray to this before I go to bed at night.

Your penance...........5 Hail Mary's and an essay on what value Thornton brings to the Bruins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You have no idea how much this pains me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

You have no idea how much this pains me.
    Posted by Bookboy007

No excuses . I want your essay on my monitor by tomorrow morning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'll help with the essay.

Ready?

1.  He stages fights with the other team's goon.

Done.

Sections
Shortcuts