I think a 4 game suspension is fair

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sadbears. Show Sadbears's posts

Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair

Its a good trade..

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair:
    If Horton did the same thing to Rome I think most Bruins fans could accept that it was worthy of a 4-game suspension and we'd be pissed that he got himself suspended for a borderline hit.  To victim blame Horton and say that he was admiring his pass is trying to justify a hit that is clearly worse than similar hits (Paille) that also drew a 4-game suspension.  It's like blaming a defenseless WR in football for not seeing the linebacker about to crush him after a pass goes sailing over his head.  There are certain things as a fan that you have to acccept.  Sometimes is hard to admit your player effed up, but just admit it and stop blaming the guy with the severe concussion.  And let's not fool ourselves, losing Rome over Horton is a trade that the Canucks would be ok with even if they don't admit it. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sadbears. Show Sadbears's posts

Dont forget Lucic is born and raised in Vancouver. he even played for the Vancouver Giants.. I am sure his parents are torn to see him do stupid punk (like Mike Milbury puts it) things like stick finger where it does not belong. He could have had it snapped.

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair : Haha, I like that idea, have fat tony and his crew from Revere meet him there. They can have their adidas suits, jacket zippered down so you see the wife beater,chest hair and cross while their gumbas wait at home in there Moog and neely jerseys while working the Aqua Net on the do.
    Posted by kelvana33

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HabsNo16. Show HabsNo16's posts

Dont forget Lucic is born and raised in Vancouver. he even played for the Vancouver Giants.. I am sure his parents are torn to see him do stupid punk (like Mike Milbury puts it) things like stick finger where it does not belong. He could have had it snapped. In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair :
    Posted by Sadbears

I wonder how surprised Burrows was when the fingers smelled like his girlfriends vag. Damn Lucic, he steals everything. I hate those Bruins and their vag smelling fingers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

I was expecting a suspension, but 4 games in the SCF is ridiculous.  Late hit, yes.  But there was no elbow directed at the head. The only reason it's so harsh is because of the injury involved, which is as much Horton's fault as Rome's. Can ANYONE on the Bruins side at least admit that Horton shouldn't be admiring his pass as he crosses the blueline?  Can ANYONE admit that he should have done what every coach he's ever had has drilled into him: "Keep your head up"? If Horton does that ONE THING, then he sees the hit coming, then has an opportunity to brace for it; doesn't slam his head on the ice, and likely pops right up and keeps going. If you're going to enter the offensive zone with the puck, pass it off and stare it down, you might as well close your eyes, because you're essentially creating a 360 degree "blindside zone" around you. I know that there are a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans here;  and I know that you're emotional about losing Horton, but come on, NOBODY should be admiring their pass in the SCF!
    Posted by 49-North

dude...Horton wasnt staring down at  the pass...he was gearing up skating looking at his teammate whom was to recieve the pass....only a moron would say that he " shouldnt be a" admiring' his pass..." very uneducated way to look at it.
    But that said....a canuck fan ...who would have thunk it...MORON.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abyssinia. Show abyssinia's posts

Completely dirty play. Rome is a punk. I've been hit like that, and it pissed me off. You are totally out of control and cannot protect yourself. I pounded the guy who did it to me.

The NHL players need to wake up and stop covering for a guy who does that. The players are letting the NHL end their careers by not insisting on harsher penalties. I wouldn't be surprised if Hornton has permanent low-level brain damage.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'll have to remember to come back here to check out the comments the next time Ference pulls a "chicken wing" and targets some unsuspecting player's head, while the play is heading the other way.

Or have we all forgotten about that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

but Canadiens are all actors...you didnt know that????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins87. Show bruins87's posts

The "B" on the jersey ... is it for Bullseye ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RidingwiththeQueen. Show RidingwiththeQueen's posts

NO HUBBY SAID IT'S FOR BIG BEES....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

49 south....you're defending the LATE HIT... but please try to defend the biting, and diving that have also taken place. do you see a pattern here? the canucks have dragged this series into the gutter in only 3 games. explain away.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the 4 game suspension is too short.  It's fair from the stand point of equating the impact of Horton being out, but this hit will have a major impact on Horton's career.  The severity of Horton's concussion is very similar to Sevard's concussion, who hasn't been the same.

Rome's illegal, blindside, late hit on Horton warrants a much longer suspension that 4 games.  It should be a 30 game suspension going into next season.

Rome's hit not only impacts Horton for the series.  It will impact Horton's long term health and quality of life.  If Rome did this on the street, Horton could sue him for millions.

There's no room in any sport for purposely trying to take a guy out.  It's no different from bashing a guy over the head with a hockey stick.

He's lucky he didn't break Horton's neck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'll have to remember to come back here to check out the comments the next time Ference pulls a "chicken wing" and targets some unsuspecting player's head, while the play is heading the other way. Or have we all forgotten about that?
    Posted by 49-North

Here's footage of that:
    Halpern, for no apparent reason, skated close enough to Ference to hit him.  Ference, rather than just be knocked over, braced himself for impact.  Since he wasn't even looking, he had no way to know what part of him he'd hit.  Not even close to a chicken wing - just look at about 0:44.

You should probably be asking why the Canadiens flagrantly ignored the league's guidlines that require players who get hit in the head, or appear woosy, to sit for observation for 15 minutes in a quiet room.  Halpern was back almost immediately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Interesting "time dilation" going on.  First, it was a second late, then a second and a half, then three seconds.   Now, it's FIVE seconds.  Seriously?  When you're watching Game 4, count for five seconds, and watch how much of the play actually happens during five seconds. A decent team can move the puck from behind their net to the opposing blue line in 5 seconds.  Heck it only took 11 seconds to score on Chara/Thomas in OT, and that's AFTER losing the face off at centre ice. I'll listen to rational commentary, but not absurdity.
    Posted by 49-North

You want rational commentary?  Here's some for ya.  Nathan Horton has been denied his dream of playing a hockey game for the Stanley Cup, lifting it above his head and skating a lap around the rink.  He will never get that back.  A #7 D-man takes out a top three forward in game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals. And you are whining he was suspended for 4 games?  Really?  Seriously?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair : Here's footage of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffiQUe1tfqM Halpern, for no apparent reason, skated close enough to Ference to hit him.  Ference, rather than just be knocked over, braced himself for impact.  Since he wasn't even looking, he had no way to know what part of him he'd hit.  Not even close to a chicken wing - just look at about 0:44. You should probably be asking why the Canadiens flagrantly ignored the league's guidlines that require players who get hit in the head, or appear woosy, to sit for observation for 15 minutes in a quiet room.  Halpern was back almost immediately.
    Posted by DrCC

I'm not expecting you to agree with me.  You're a passionate Bruin fan, and our teams are playing on the biggest stage. 

All I'm saying is that, despite your contentions, the Canucks are not the evil, diving crybabies you claim, nor are the Bruins rule-abiding, clean-playing angels.

We're all passionate fans, and that passion clouds our ability to be objective.  Both teams are playing their hearts out to win the ultimate prize.  If you actually think that Rome intended to put Horton out for the series, then you either don't know Aaron Rome (who suffered a concussion and missed games as a result of a cheap shot), or your objectivity has gone away for the duration of the series.

I'm going to support my team to the end, as you will support yours. 

I'm just giving my view from the West Coast, with my blue-tinted Canuck glasses on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The internet is a tricky thing.  There are lots and lots of people.  Try not to ascribe an opinion you see from one to everyone else that has some other common trait.  I, for one, look at Rome's hit the same way I looked at Paille's hit earlier in the year.  He made a bad decision to deliver a hit at a time and in a way that the league wants out of the game.  I don't think there's any more to it than that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair : You want rational commentary?  Here's some for ya.  Nathan Horton has been denied his dream of playing a hockey game for the Stanley Cup, lifting it above his head and skating a lap around the rink.  He will never get that back.  A #7 D-man takes out a top three forward in game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals. And you are whining he was suspended for 4 games?  Really?  Seriously?
    Posted by scooter244

The league admitted that part of the rationale for the suspension was the injury sustained by Horton.  I would contend that most of the severity of that injury was a result of his head hitting the ice, rather than the impact of the hit itself.  If we watch the replay objectively, then I'm quite sure that we can agree on that.

I think we can also agree that Rome didn't "take a run" at Horton.  This would be  physically impossible, since Rome is actually skating backwards until Horton passes the puck, then stops (you can see the snow flying off Rome's skate), then takes one step into Horton. 

I agree that the hit is late. That's why the call was Interference, and not Charging.

But I also think (and this is where Boston fans and Vancouver fans differ), is that Horton should have had better situational awareness, about where he was, in relation to the Canucks' d-men.  Some are saying that he was staring down the pass, because he was expecting a quick return pass.  However, if he was reading the play properly, he would have seen Rome ahead of him, and Sedin almost beside him, backchecking. A return pass in that situation would have resulted in a turnover, and a quick Canucks counterattack.  The proper move for Horton, after making the pass, would have been to read the positions of Rome and Sedin, and look for open ice in the slot area, as the shot was being taken, and looking for a rebound.

Yes, the hit was late.  And please believe me when I say that I am upset that Horton will not be able to participate in the series -- I agree with everyone 100% that this is every NHL players' dream. 

However I will never agree with Bruins' fans contentions that Aaron Rome is a dirty player who intended to injure Horton and take him out for the series.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair : The league admitted that part of the rationale for the suspension was the injury sustained by Horton.  I would contend that most of the severity of that injury was a result of his head hitting the ice, rather than the impact of the hit itself.  If we watch the replay objectively, then I'm quite sure that we can agree on that. I think we can also agree that Rome didn't "take a run" at Horton.  This would be  physically impossible, since Rome is actually skating backwards until Horton passes the puck, then stops (you can see the snow flying off Rome's skate), then takes one step into Horton.  I agree that the hit is late. That's why the call was Interference, and not Charging. But I also think (and this is where Boston fans and Vancouver fans differ), is that Horton should have had better situational awareness, about where he was, in relation to the Canucks' d-men.  Some are saying that he was staring down the pass, because he was expecting a quick return pass.  However, if he was reading the play properly, he would have seen Rome ahead of him, and Sedin almost beside him, backchecking. A return pass in that situation would have resulted in a turnover, and a quick Canucks counterattack.  The proper move for Horton, after making the pass, would have been to read the positions of Rome and Sedin, and look for open ice in the slot area, as the shot was being taken, and looking for a rebound. Yes, the hit was late.  And please believe me when I say that I am upset that Horton will not be able to participate in the series -- I agree with everyone 100% that this is every NHL players' dream.  However I will never agree with Bruins' fans contentions that Aaron Rome is a dirty player who intended to injure Horton and take him out for the series.
    Posted by 49-North

In no way should any player be expecting a hit that long after he delivered a pass, which is exactly why he felt no need to look in Rome's direction and could instead watch the play to see how it was developing.  How can you in one sentence say the hit was late and in the next say Horton should have been anticipating it?  Are you saying players need to be constantly looking for headhunter's?  Maybe when they play Vancouver they do.  Your blind justification of this is sickening.  Especially here.  Go to a Canucks forum if you want to spread this fantasy garbage. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair : In no way should any player be expecting a hit that long after he delivered a pass, which is exactly why he felt no need to look in Rome's direction and could instead watch the play to see how it was developing.  How can you in one sentence say the hit was late and in the next say Horton should have been anticipating it?  Are you saying players need to be constantly looking for headhunter's?  Maybe when they play Vancouver they do.  Your blind justification of this is sickening.  Especially here.  Go to a Canucks forum if you want to spread this fantasy garbage. 
    Posted by scooter244

And your blind condemnation is the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shtarka. Show Shtarka's posts

When a first line player is taken out of a SCF by a blatantly illegal hit, a reciprical suspension is justly called for..not automatically, but on a case-by-case basis...plus, the previous antics by the Canucks made Rome's suspension even more appropriate. Timing is everything...sorry,Canucks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd agree with Dr CC - it was the kind of thing that will happen to physical players from time to time - a lapse in judgement with ugly consequences.  Paille got four regular season games for his hit.

What I do not like is the media announcing that Horton has a severe concussion but then he's in the dressing room last night.  I know the problem is a definitional one - medical definition of severe doesn't mean Savard-like necessarily - but I think they need to consider what they communicate to the media, because the terminology and the players' actions post announcement are undermining the work to recognize how serious concussions really are.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'd agree with Dr CC - it was the kind of thing that will happen to physical players from time to time - a lapse in judgement with ugly consequences.  Paille got four regular season games for his hit. What I do not like is the media announcing that Horton has a severe concussion but then he's in the dressing room last night.  I know the problem is a definitional one - medical definition of severe doesn't mean Savard-like necessarily - but I think they need to consider what they communicate to the media, because the terminology and the players' actions post announcement are undermining the work to recognize how serious concussions really are.
    Posted by Bookboy007

But he was also trying to fight his way off the stretcher.
    As far as the severity of the concussion, just watch the video.
    From my experience with concussions, I'm guessing in about 2 days he's going to start feeling really bad.

They are like bruises to the brain, sometimes the soreness doesn't settle in right away.

And Canucks fan -
    These comparisons to the Halpern and MaxPax hit are totally apples and oranges.

The Rome hit is closest to the suspension that Paille got earlier this year with a major exception that the opposing player still had possesion of the puck.

Look at my posts, I'm reasonably objective.

Objective enough to say IF the Bruins win this, and it is far from a done deal, it's going to be because they gutted it out, I'll admit in an instant that the Canucks overall are a better skilled team than the Bruins.

And if I were a Canucks fan, I'd be pretty disappointed in the last 2 performances, they didn't show up except for about one period.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

49 North, I think your premise that Bruins fans will defend Bruins players at all costs is flawed.  You assume that we can't be objective and we're overreacting to Rome's hit.  By and large, Boston fans will call a spade a spade, I think it's you who are looking through tinted glasses a bit too much and you come here to be some kind of moderator for what is an indefensible penalty on Rome's part.     

Example of objectivity?  There was some controversy in Boston when Paille took out Sawada with a less egregious hit in February (?).  A lot of fans here agreed with the 4-game suspension, and when Ference called out Paille for making that hit, a lot more fans sided with him for having the guts to call out a teammate for making a questionable hit and not being hypocritical since the other team's player was hurt.  To this day, I applaud Ference for that, even if some thought calling out a teammate in the media was wrong. 

I also thought that Marchand submarining Sedin last night was uncalled for.  You can be an agitator and do so in a way that doesn't put players at risk of serious injury.  Marchand got a penalty on a hustle play and negated that effort with a dangerous hit.  I love Marchand's play, but taking the guys' legs out is questionable, even though he was a sitting duck. 

Sections
Shortcuts