I think a 4 game suspension is fair

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair

In Response to Re: I think a 4 game suspension is fair:
    [QUOTE]Hmm... and Chara didn't know what he was doing?  But I digress. I have acknowledged that the hit was late.  To call it predatory, and to call Rome a goon shows that your guys are looking through your Bruin-coloured glasses, and are responding purely based on emotion.  To say that there was any intent to injure means that you know what was going on in Rome's head at that millisecond when he decided to hit Horton (and you obviously don't). I think that if you put CJ on a lie dectector and ask him if Horton should have been admiring his pass, then he says "Horty should have done more to protect himself in that situation". I'm not saying that it wasn't a late hit;  I'm not saying that there should be no suspension.  I'm saying that 4 games in the SCF is too much for this hit.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

And MaxPax should have had
    1) on ice awareness, he should have known the stanchion was there.
    2) clock awareness, there were only a couple of ticks left on the clock and there was no way he could have accomplished anything in that amount of time.
    So actually it was MaxPax' fault.

Hey, come off of it.  There is "admiring your pass" and "admiring your pass".  Just exactly how far do you want to take this?  You're on a pk and ice the puck and watch it and 5 seconds later someone creams you - and I suppose you're going to say you should have done more to protect yourself?

Actually, show me ONE - ONE injury no matter how malicious where the player could have avoided injury by protecting himself better.
    Ace Bailey should have protected himself better against Eddie Shore.
    Ted Greene should have protected himself better against Maki's stick.
    Keith Magnasun should have been able to protect himself.

You can ALWAYS say the injured party could have done more to protect himself.

If you are sitting at a red light and get rear ended by a speeding drunk you could have taken steps to avoid the accident.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The number of games doesn't mean diddly.
    Who really cares?
    If Hnidy went out and clobbered one of the Sedin sisters, or Kessler...of what relevance would the length of the suspension be?
    NONE.
    There are many reasons why this sort of crap is becoming more common.  Sure, the players are stronger and faster.  Yes, the equipment is like armour, but there's much more to the problem.
    It's not the league's fault.  They can't win, in fact it's become almost impossible to differentiate between a serious infraction, and some jerk flopping around like his gonads were just carved out from a surgically implanted hockey stick....just to draw a penalty.
    Don't blame the league.  It's ALL the players fault.  There is no respect out there for each other, and more importantly, much more importantly, there is no fear of retribution.  Muckers used to take on muckers, tough guys went after tough guys, and God help them if they went beyond.  Now...there are no perimeters.  No price to pay for messing with the wrong players.  Unfortunately, tough guys playing a tough brutal sport only understand the law of the jungle.  Trying to reason with and educate them is a waste of time, not because they're stupid, but because "reason" is too far removed from the culture, the emotion, speed and spontanaity of the game

The B's need to move forward with "controlled vengeance".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If Horton did the same thing to Rome I think most Bruins fans could accept that it was worthy of a 4-game suspension and we'd be pissed that he got himself suspended for a borderline hit.  To victim blame Horton and say that he was admiring his pass is trying to justify a hit that is clearly worse than similar hits (Paille) that also drew a 4-game suspension.  It's like blaming a defenseless WR in football for not seeing the linebacker about to crush him after a pass goes sailing over his head. 

There are certain things as a fan that you have to acccept.  Sometimes is hard to admit your player effed up, but just admit it and stop blaming the guy with the severe concussion.  And let's not fool ourselves, losing Rome over Horton is a trade that the Canucks would be ok with even if they don't admit it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Hmm... and Chara didn't know what he was doing?  But I digress. I have acknowledged that the hit was late.  To call it predatory, and to call Rome a goon shows that your guys are looking through your Bruin-coloured glasses, and are responding purely based on emotion.  To say that there was any intent to injure means that you know what was going on in Rome's head at that millisecond when he decided to hit Horton (and you obviously don't). I think that if you put CJ on a lie dectector and ask him if Horton should have been admiring his pass, then he says "Horty should have done more to protect himself in that situation". I'm not saying that it wasn't a late hit;  I'm not saying that there should be no suspension.  I'm saying that 4 games in the SCF is too much for this hit.

You and I aren't very far apart 49er, except I don't have any problem with 4 games, and I can't see why in the world you do.  Rome's contribution is a non issue, and I think in these circumstances, right or wrong, the talent differential plays a hand in things.  Remember, we're dealing with a culture change here.  That hit would have been fine 10 years ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Murphy said the check did not fall under Rule 48, which penalizes players for blindside hits (yah Horton saw Rome coming). I had it close to a second late and we saw the seriousness of the injury to Nathan on the ice,"

What I had always feared Murphy is holding the hearings but is having his strings pulled. Mike's last two rulings have BIG FAILS stamped on them.

Hopefully Shanahan will see hits like last night more clearly. Murphy makes no mention of Rome's skates in the air off the ice which is also illegal. Typical intended blindness by the NHL decision makers who claim they want to clean the game up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

[QUOTE]I won't go off all self righteous. I won't be all kinds of indignant. I WILL take it like an adult. I WILL not act like a total jack ash about it. I WILL NOT cry and moan but if for Horton we would have won the cup. I WILL NOT go on about the previous cups the Bruins have won and that the Canucks have won none. I will not go on about the longstanding nhl history of the Bruins and the Johnny come lately Canucks. I WILL point out that certain cry baby fans of other teams should read this.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Someone on the street comes up behind you and clubs you on the head make sure you take it like an adult. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would rather he get suspended for 2 games with the chance of having to answer for it. No way the league lets him back in the series afte they dropped the ball on the Burrows incident.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

So does anyone here know anyone who knows someone who can have Rome's plane met when he lands?

I believe Michael Corleone did the same thing to Hyman Roth in Godfather 2.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

To me 4 games isn't enough. It was a vicious shot to the head from the blind side with Rome leaving his feet with what appeared to be an intent to injure. You don't go for a guy's head unless you're thinking of injuring him. It's possible that the concussion destroys Horton's career---look at what Savard has gone through---and even after his career has ended he may have medical issues. Forget about the playoffs, I would have suspended him for at least half of next season with his return contingent on a successful recovery by Horton. The way Horton went down and hit his head I kept thinking about Daryl Stingley.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I think the right call was made by the league giving him the boot for the series. Still is a good trade off for the nucks that we lose horton for the series.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I think the right call was made by the league giving him the boot for the series. Still is a good trade off for the nucks that we lose horton for the series.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]So does anyone here know anyone who knows someone who can have Rome's plane met when he lands? I believe Michael Corleone did the same thing to Hyman Roth in Godfather 2.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

Haha, I like that idea, have fat tony and his crew from Revere meet him there. They can have their adidas suits, jacket zippered down so you see the wife beater,chest hair and cross while their gumbas wait at home in there Moog and neely jerseys while working the Aqua Net on the do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Interesting "time dilation" going on.  First, it was a second late, then a second and a half, then three seconds.   Now, it's FIVE seconds. 

Seriously?  When you're watching Game 4, count for five seconds, and watch how much of the play actually happens during five seconds. A decent team can move the puck from behind their net to the opposing blue line in 5 seconds.  Heck it only took 11 seconds to score on Chara/Thomas in OT, and that's AFTER losing the face off at centre ice.

I'll listen to rational commentary, but not absurdity.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting "time dilation" going on.  First, it was a second late, then a second and a half, then three seconds.   Now, it's FIVE seconds.  Seriously?  When you're watching Game 4, count for five seconds, and watch how much of the play actually happens during five seconds. A decent team can move the puck from behind their net to the opposing blue line in 5 seconds.  Heck it only took 11 seconds to score on Chara/Thomas in OT, and that's AFTER losing the face off at centre ice. I'll listen to rational commentary, but not absurdity.

Yup totally agree, it is absurd!, so who is going to replace Rome, a sixth defenseman?  Now transplant Sedin for Horton, what would your reaction be????? got some synapse issues? Go back to you myopic world of thought!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

If he played in today's NHL, Scott Stevens would be on permanent suspension.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]If he played in today's NHL, Scott Stevens would be on permanent suspension.

I do agree with this statement and have in fact brought it up on numerous occasions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I see nothing wrong with Scott Stevens on permanent suspension. He was a great talent who instead of relying on that talent turned into the worst blindside checking goon in NHL history. Screw Stevens.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

49 north I don't know what your trying to proove or who you are trying to convince maybe your self? That hit was from behind and a total cheap shot head shot. If I was a cannucks fan the last thing I would be doing is going on other teams boards and defending acts such as biting another players finger and defending cheapshot hits. To each their own I just wish your boys like lapiere and burrows would take their skirts off and fight. Isn't that what they want I mean they seem to anyway when a ref is between them and a bruin or are they just fake tough guys?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to I think a 4 game suspension is fair:
    [QUOTE]4 games is fair. I won't go crying and whining. I won't call 911. I won't demand Rome gets arrested. I won't claim Rome attempted to murder Horton. I won't claim Rome intentionally planned to decapitate Horton. I won't bite anyone over it. I won't organize a protest. I won't demand that sponsorship be removed in protest. I won't go onto other fans websites and troll about it. I know this, if things get out of hand and we see a 1970's style brawl and if Chara and Lucic are on the ice - look out - there will be manslaughter cases out there with less injuries sustained.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I won't either but I will demand that Thorton or Lucic take Burrrows out.  And I do mean out!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

by the way, how's this for perspective: Jonathan Papelbon 3 game suspension for rushing toward an umpire but not hitting him or punching him or spitting on him, maybe barely tapping him on the chest-to-chest. So Rome's assault and battery got 4 games and Papelbon got 3 games...ummm, yup, NHL justice. History Was Made. Ugh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]by the way, how's this for perspective: Jonathan Papelbon 3 game suspension for rushing toward an umpire but not hitting him or punching him or spitting on him, maybe barely tapping him on the chest-to-chest. So Rome's assault and battery got 4 games and Papelbon got 3 games...ummm, yup, NHL justice. History Was Made. Ugh.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

danny
    don't compare hockey and baseball.  one is a sport and one is a summer past time. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

If the nhl didn;t like the antics last night maybe they should have done the right thing and suspended the biter burrows just a thought

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sadbears. Show Sadbears's posts

Chara's hit on Pacioretty in March was far worse than Rome standing there in front of Hort. Chara did not even get a penalty, must be some conspiracy going on in beantown or maybe nucks will win in 5 at home.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Charas was a clean hockey play its not chara's fault the rink has that stantion there in montreal. I am sure people from montreal built it as we know how smart the people of that city are when they call 911 and tie up emergency phone lines potentialy putting other peoples lifes at risk to cry about a CLEAN hit. Hows the golf going little habbies?

Sections
Shortcuts