I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach

Yah, I wanted him fired forever.  I wanted him fired even when he was winning in years gone by.  I wanted him fired in the middle of the Habs series last year.

Not anymore.  I think he's a changed man.

I'm guessing a lot of you will say he's always been that way, but I'm seeing a lot of things from him that I've not seen from him and his team before.

Losing streaks.  In this year's losing streak I did not see what I'd seen in previous losing streaks, a demoralized team or terrible inconsistency or what seemed to be outright lack of effort.  In this year's losing streak I thought they were actually playing well, they didn't seem like they gave up, they were pretty consistent emotionally.  It seemed to me in other years losing streaks would unsettle CJ, this year he was composed in the crisis.

Surprise moves.  Like putting Benoit in the shootout the other night.  Other years he would do weird stuff like putting Ryder in the shootout when he was in a cold streak and it didn't work.  I really like CJ's explanation afterwards, that he wanted to build Benoit's confidence and he wanted to put him in a position where he wouldn't lose the game for them, but could win it.  Great coaches always surprised me, for example, my thoughts of Bowman every so often were like "what on earth is he doing?" and then I'd see it was a smart move.  CJ is doing that.

Long term thinking.  Putting in Rask rather than TT for Detroit.  Important to build Rask's confidence and not just give him easy games.  Even tho they lost, it was a good move.  It's moves like that which will be good predictors of Rask's future, and if they decide Rask is a dud and want to move him, using him like that is the best way to show him.   As with Benoit in the shoot out, there seems to be more thinking of what's beyond the one game.

Using timeouts wisely.  He's got that mastered.  Previous years many a game he never even used them.

Confidence.  In the past I've judged this from the post game interviews.  And in previous years he seemed confused, deer in the headlights and picked language that I thought didn't reflect well.  A bunch of people said that I was just picking on him because english wasn't his first language and that he wasn't good on camera.  Well, he still isn't what I would call a good orator, but he is a confident man and you can see it.  He is less fidgety, his posture is more upright, his language is better because the confusion isn't there.  His eyes don't wander around like before.  He says the right things, he isn't scapegoating his players in the mealy mouthed way he did before.
    It strikes me as this is something permanent and not a 'high' from winning the cup, but now something that has innately changed within him.

Bringing along rookies.  This one is a stretch, it more of a sense than real evidence.  What he's been doing with Caron, Kampfer and even Hamill seems different to me.  He seems to be using them more "right" than he did with Seguin or Caron last year.  I think now he's learned to pull the strings on rookies.  This year isn't a good example, but we'll see with Hamilton, as I said, it's more a gut feeling than anything else.

Putting Seguin in the penalty box.  On bench minors and the like rather than just sticking Thornton in there to take up space, he's putting in Seguin for the possible breakaway when the penalty expires.

It's not often my opinion goes 180 on a guy.  I had thought CJ was an interim solution to fix the damage of Lewis.

I think CJ's game has taken a giant leap forward.  I think he's moved from average coach to an elite coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach

BadHab,

I agree fully with your description of CJ, I don't know how much he's changed from previous years as I hadn't studied him in detail prior to. I also think that the players are getting more comfortable with him, which in turn relaxes him and instills a more confident demeanor. I've heard people say CJ is a "players coach", is that to suggest he jokes around (within reason and professionalism) with them more and doesn't maintain the strict coach-player distance? If this is the case, then I feel like he's a good fit (amongst many other reasons), with this being a young team that needs that at times. The Boston brass really seem to be on to something, building with character, starting from the top and filtering out to the player personnel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I wonder how much of the evolution of his coaching is due to the evolution of the team?  What I mean is that maybe it took this long to get the team to a point where he could relax with them a bit more.  Would he be back to old Claude if he move on to a new team of if the B's went through a major re-build? 
    That said, he does look more comfortable and confident in interviews.  I'm sure the cup win was a major monkey off his back as well, with the whole New Jersey firing and all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

The only piece that I was thinking about while watching last night in regards to Seguin in the box.  Yes, its nice to have him for when the penalty expires but:

What if a penalty ends up being called on the other team to send it to 4 v. 4? Wouldn't he be one of the guys you would really want on the ice in that situation, with his speed and skill?

I guess the chances of the breakaway vs. the 4 on 4 chance are pretty even so its not like he could go wrong with either choice but just wanted to throw that out there for some of your thoughts?

Edit to add:  I was one of his supporters even during the Philly fiasco.  Not because of him more or less because of the few options that were out there to replace him.  I never saw someone as a better replacement that wanted or was searching for a job (like a Milbury for instance).  Happy that he is still here and finally looks like he has "his" team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I was on & off your bandwagon as well BadHab, he got me so po'd about how he would put the 4th line out there in a one goal game with just minutes left. My biggest petpeeve was him NEVER using his timeout! CJ has eveloved with his players & it's awesome to see. I am also happy that he started Rask against Det. I think that was a confident & right thing to do for the kid. After Pouliet's gaffe's in the Montreal game, I thought FOR SURE Caron was in for a LONG stretch, but then he played Benoit again & I thought he played one of his better games of the season, but I was stunned to see him in the S.O! After seeing the outcome I got CJ's "method to his madness". This is a great & well deserved thread BadHab!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach:
    [QUOTE]Yah, I wanted him fired forever.  I wanted him fired even when he was winning in years gone by.  I wanted him fired in the middle of the Habs series last year. Not anymore.  I think he's a changed man. I'm guessing a lot of you will say he's always been that way, but I'm seeing a lot of things from him that I've not seen from him and his team before. Losing streaks .  In this year's losing streak I did not see what I'd seen in previous losing streaks, a demoralized team or terrible inconsistency or what seemed to be outright lack of effort.  In this year's losing streak I thought they were actually playing well, they didn't seem like they gave up, they were pretty consistent emotionally.  It seemed to me in other years losing streaks would unsettle CJ, this year he was composed in the crisis. Surprise moves .  Like putting Benoit in the shootout the other night.  Other years he would do weird stuff like putting Ryder in the shootout when he was in a cold streak and it didn't work.  I really like CJ's explanation afterwards, that he wanted to build Benoit's confidence and he wanted to put him in a position where he wouldn't lose the game for them, but could win it.  Great coaches always surprised me, for example, my thoughts of Bowman every so often were like "what on earth is he doing?" and then I'd see it was a smart move.  CJ is doing that. Long term thinking .  Putting in Rask rather than TT for Detroit.  Important to build Rask's confidence and not just give him easy games.  Even tho they lost, it was a good move.  It's moves like that which will be good predictors of Rask's future, and if they decide Rask is a dud and want to move him, using him like that is the best way to show him.   As with Benoit in the shoot out, there seems to be more thinking of what's beyond the one game. Using timeouts wisely .  He's got that mastered.  Previous years many a game he never even used them. Confidence.   In the past I've judged this from the post game interviews.  And in previous years he seemed confused, deer in the headlights and picked language that I thought didn't reflect well.  A bunch of people said that I was just picking on him because english wasn't his first language and that he wasn't good on camera.  Well, he still isn't what I would call a good orator, but he is a confident man and you can see it.  He is less fidgety, his posture is more upright, his language is better because the confusion isn't there.  His eyes don't wander around like before.  He says the right things, he isn't scapegoating his players in the mealy mouthed way he did before. It strikes me as this is something permanent and not a 'high' from winning the cup, but now something that has innately changed within him. Bringing along rookies .  This one is a stretch, it more of a sense than real evidence.  What he's been doing with Caron, Kampfer and even Hamill seems different to me.  He seems to be using them more "right" than he did with Seguin or Caron last year.  I think now he's learned to pull the strings on rookies.  This year isn't a good example, but we'll see with Hamilton, as I said, it's more a gut feeling than anything else. Putting Seguin in the penalty box.  On bench minors and the like rather than just sticking Thornton in there to take up space, he's putting in Seguin for the possible breakaway when the penalty expires. It's not often my opinion goes 180 on a guy.  I had thought CJ was an interim solution to fix the damage of Lewis. I think CJ's game has taken a giant leap forward.  I think he's moved from average coach to an elite coach.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Welcome to reality. It's open 24-7.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I was a huge fan of his in Montreal. I was very happy when the Bruins hired him. His style is unconventional in some ways, and he's not a knee-jerk reaction coach and these things can frustrate people. I don't think he has changed a lot since he coached the habs, but he has gotten even better with time as most people do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach:
    [QUOTE]I wonder how much of the evolution of his coaching is due to the evolution of the team?  What I mean is that maybe it took this long to get the team to a point where he could relax with them a bit more.  Would he be back to old Claude if he move on to a new team of if the B's went through a major re-build?  That said, he does look more comfortable and confident in interviews.  I'm sure the cup win was a major monkey off his back as well, with the whole New Jersey firing and all.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's the team.

I think he had the horses, but couldn't get it together in 08-09.  I think now he can motivate his players better.

I think being outcaoched was a major contributing factor in the Flyers meltdown altho player injuries was a bigger factor.  Particularly in that series bad time outs or no time outs.

In last year's cup win, his team played better than the sum of its parts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I was a huge fan of his in Montreal. I was very happy when the Bruins hired him. His style is unconventional in some ways, and he's not a knee-jerk reaction coach and these things can frustrate people. I don't think he has changed a lot since he coached the habs, but he has gotten even better with time as most people do.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Disagree, most players and particularly coaches are basically the same product 4 years in as they are forever until they start to fade.  Most.

When you look at guys who can consistently improve year in and year out you're looking at greatness.  I think Bourque was the best example of that, IMO he went from decent to pretty darn good to great.  Whereas Mario Bobby and Wayne were just different flavors of great the whole time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Not quite sure what you are disagreeing with.  I said he is mostly the same, gotten a bit better with time.  You say most coaches are basically the same product 4 years in. I think he is mostly the same. His collapse D was revolutionary when he started in Montreal and got Theodore a Hart trophy. In Boston in helped Thomas set records. He has always been a 4 line coach and a players' coach who pays attention to the mental side of the game. I think he has learned and is better and has more swagger after winning the cup, but his fundamentals have always been great.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Disagree, most players and particularly coaches are basically the same product 4 years in as they are forever until they start to fade.  Most. When you look at guys who can consistently improve year in and year out you're looking at greatness.  I think Bourque was the best example of that, IMO he went from decent to pretty darn good to great.  Whereas Mario Bobby and Wayne were just different flavors of great the whole time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Badhab, I agree.

I, too, wanted him gone. But, looking at things now, who better to be coaching this team?

I, also don't mind the wait your turn approach now, i.e. with Seguin and today with Caron. If the kids were to run loose they would develop bad habits and an attitude of thinking the team revolves around them.

Good on Claude.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Yah, I wanted him fired forever.  I wanted him fired even when he was winning in years gone by.  I wanted him fired in the middle of the Habs series last year. Not anymore.  I think he's a changed man. I'm guessing a lot of you will say he's always been that way, but I'm seeing a lot of things from him that I've not seen from him and his team before. Losing streaks .  In this year's losing streak I did not see what I'd seen in previous losing streaks, a demoralized team or terrible inconsistency or what seemed to be outright lack of effort.  In this year's losing streak I thought they were actually playing well, they didn't seem like they gave up, they were pretty consistent emotionally.  It seemed to me in other years losing streaks would unsettle CJ, this year he was composed in the crisis. Surprise moves .  Like putting Benoit in the shootout the other night.  Other years he would do weird stuff like putting Ryder in the shootout when he was in a cold streak and it didn't work.  I really like CJ's explanation afterwards, that he wanted to build Benoit's confidence and he wanted to put him in a position where he wouldn't lose the game for them, but could win it.  Great coaches always surprised me, for example, my thoughts of Bowman every so often were like "what on earth is he doing?" and then I'd see it was a smart move.  CJ is doing that. Long term thinking .  Putting in Rask rather than TT for Detroit.  Important to build Rask's confidence and not just give him easy games.  Even tho they lost, it was a good move.  It's moves like that which will be good predictors of Rask's future, and if they decide Rask is a dud and want to move him, using him like that is the best way to show him.   As with Benoit in the shoot out, there seems to be more thinking of what's beyond the one game. Using timeouts wisely .  He's got that mastered.  Previous years many a game he never even used them. Confidence.   In the past I've judged this from the post game interviews.  And in previous years he seemed confused, deer in the headlights and picked language that I thought didn't reflect well.  A bunch of people said that I was just picking on him because english wasn't his first language and that he wasn't good on camera.  Well, he still isn't what I would call a good orator, but he is a confident man and you can see it.  He is less fidgety, his posture is more upright, his language is better because the confusion isn't there.  His eyes don't wander around like before.  He says the right things, he isn't scapegoating his players in the mealy mouthed way he did before. It strikes me as this is something permanent and not a 'high' from winning the cup, but now something that has innately changed within him. Bringing along rookies .  This one is a stretch, it more of a sense than real evidence.  What he's been doing with Caron, Kampfer and even Hamill seems different to me.  He seems to be using them more "right" than he did with Seguin or Caron last year.  I think now he's learned to pull the strings on rookies.  This year isn't a good example, but we'll see with Hamilton, as I said, it's more a gut feeling than anything else. Putting Seguin in the penalty box.  On bench minors and the like rather than just sticking Thornton in there to take up space, he's putting in Seguin for the possible breakaway when the penalty expires. It's not often my opinion goes 180 on a guy.  I had thought CJ was an interim solution to fix the damage of Lewis. I think CJ's game has taken a giant leap forward.  I think he's moved from average coach to an elite coach.

Ok, let's take this on point for point, though I'll start with the additional point that he won the Jack Adams three years ago, so he's been an elite coach for some time now.

Losing Streaks I don't think the team's confidence during the losing streak had anything to do with CJ, other than the fact he just lead them to the Stanley Cup. I think because of that ring, this team is well aware of what they're capable of and knew they could turn it around, hence it wasn't as demoralizing.

Surprise moves CJ has always done this, whether it's starting Rask in a must win game, putting Chara and Seids together in the playoffs, extending Thorton's ice time in the cup run, using Kelly and Pev's on the PP. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but he's always experimented.

Long term thinking Why do you think he used Seguin so sparingly last year and brought him along slowly? If that's not long term planning, I don't know what is.

Using timeouts Wisely I agree with you here

Confidence This is a difficult one to judge. I've seen extremely confident and capable people turn into blubbering idiots in front of a camera. Looking good in an interview is a learned skill, one CJ seems to have finally picked up. I don't think his having now learned this skill is a reflection of confidence.

Bringing along rookies This is the critique of CJ I have never understood, since in my mind he has been one of the best coaches in the league in terms of nurturing young talent. You may gasp at that, but CJ has been able to use a fantastic long term approach to rookies and know what they were capable of in the short term. Of our top six forwards, four were rookies under CJ. Our backup goalie, likely the best backup in the league, was a rookie under CJ. He's nursed McQuaid into being an integral part of our blueline. All the talk last year about him not being able to handle young players focused on Seguin, but it ignored how well he did with McQuaid and Marchand and Kampfer when he was healthy. And now Seguin is our leading scorer. Is there a better coach in the league in terms of developping young talent?

Putting Seguin in the penalty box Ok that one was new, and a smart move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I never wanted him fired but did find some of his past decisions curious at times.  I don't know how much legitimacy there is to last year's talk of PC and Neely having major input into Julien becoming less rigid in his thinking.  I just like that it appears the club has largely adopted his personality of not panicking and being patient with the gameplan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

re: he won the Jack Adams three years ago, so he's been an elite coach for some time now.
    I think recovering from Dave Lewis had a lot to do with that.  I don't put a heck of a lot of stock into the Adams trophy.  Bill Barber?

re: Losing Streaks
    Maybe the ring triggered it, but the demeanor and effort was much different than I'd seen in years gone by.  It's a subtle difference.

re: Surprise moves CJ has always done this - but he's more successful at it now.  Most of what you said was from the Habs series on, which correlates to when I thought he changed.

re: Long term thinking I think he used Sequin sparingly just based upon his performance with only some after thought as to grooming him.  That's what it seemed like to me.

Using timeouts Wisely I agree with you here

re: Confidence Again, a subtle point.  I don't believe he is any better in front of the camera than he was before, and no better at an interview.  It's his posture, demeanor, lack of wandering eyes and lack of apparent confusion that says to me he is more confident.  The body language if you will, and even practiced orators have little tells.

re: Bringing along rookies No response from me since its more gut feel than anything else.

re: Putting Seguin in the penalty box This ties into the surprise moves.   Putting Seguin in the box hasn't resulted in a breakaway, but it's still a good move.  I think it makes the other coach think about that a little - "watch out for the guy in the box, he's fast ya know."   Yes, he experimented before, but not as purposeful as he is now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Schultzy earned my trust last year.  Btw, has anyone seen his haircut this year?  I swear it's in the shape of a german helmet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i believe I lead the CJ[Clod] criticism cadre last year until some time in the Spring, after Cam had a few unpublished words with Claude. He has been a different coach since then in some of the ways you all have mentioned. I'm still not enamored with his support for Thornton, although his adjustment, by using Campbell on Kelly's line, sits both Pouliot and Thorny, so it's a solid compromise. I have yet to see why he chose to develop Pouliot rather than Caron, except for Chiarelli's investment. I had a moment of belief last night on his pass to Kelly, where he controlled the puck and sent a reasonable pass to Kelly. But, as I watched the rest of the game, Pouliot did not continue to exhibit any puck control. He's obviously a work in progress which, it appears, Claude relishes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I've always been a big CJ supporter and I will go a step further: as of right now, CJ should be the front-runner for the Team Canada head coaching job at the 2014 Olympics.

CJ is great at maintaining consistency, rolling four-lines, and getting max out of his players. Team Canada will need all of that. Plus, if they keep it up, Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin may be the next Marleau-Thornton-Heatley.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I've always been a big CJ supporter and I will go a step further: as of right now, CJ should be the front-runner for the Team Canada head coaching job at the 2014 Olympics. CJ is great at maintaining consistency, rolling four-lines, and getting max out of his players. Team Canada will need all of that. Plus, if they keep it up, Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin may be the next Marleau-Thornton-Heatley.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]
    DC, I remember you were the 1st one to start a thread lauding CJ's coaching abilities last year. To your credit, you were right then and you're right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I've always been a big CJ supporter and I will go a step further: as of right now, CJ should be the front-runner for the Team Canada head coaching job at the 2014 Olympics. CJ is great at maintaining consistency, rolling four-lines, and getting max out of his players. Team Canada will need all of that. Plus, if they keep it up, Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin may be the next Marleau-Thornton-Heatley.

Not a bad idea, but CJ also works best within a system, and as we've seen it did take a while for everyone to buy into it. He also coaches a very physical style of play. I don't know if the short -time frame of the Olympics, or the IIHF rules, work in julien's favour.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

dc - At the very least he should be on the coaching staff.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I do like this year that even though he has his systems, that he is more willing to make coaching adjustments game in and game out.  It seems that success has allowed him to relax his conservatism just enough to be a better coach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I believed in Julien and really bought into him the very first season. I'm neither surprised the team is successful nor am I in wonder that he guided the team to a Cup. He's a premier head coach who got completely pasted into the boards by most fans on this board even through last year's regular season. I defended him often. He's a fine coach and players want to play for him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

I never had a doubt about the man, and believed he would lead the B's to the Cup. He has grown along with the team over the years. How could one not be proud of him? I know SINATRA'S 'MY Way" is the only song on his i-pod, but remember, if you could have his head and my head full of nickels, you'd be a season ticket holder for life.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Uses timeouts masterfuly? Can't disagree more and I don't feel like beating a dead horse on this.

This years losing streak I think was mainly from lack of intensity and effort by the bruins not showing up to play and often playing only 20 mins hard.

I will give him a nod of the cap some good moves he has mad although pairing bergy, seguin, and brad took longer than it should have.

Still not impressed how he likes to play the 4th line when down a goal with 3 mins left in the game. I guess by now I should just realize it isn't going to change. I will give kudos to the 4th line I thought they did a very good job vs the wings in that game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Uses timeouts masterfuly? Can't disagree more and I don't feel like beating a dead horse on this. This years losing streak I think was mainly from lack of intensity and effort by the bruins not showing up to play and often playing only 20 mins hard. I will give him a nod of the cap some good moves he has mad although pairing bergy, seguin, and brad took longer than it should have. Still not impressed how he likes to play the 4th line when down a goal with 3 mins left in the game. I guess by now I should just realize it isn't going to change. I will give kudos to the 4th line I thought they did a very good job vs the wings in that game.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

Try doing the research on this and you'll see you are complaining about nothing.

Sections
Shortcuts