I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach

Well CJ doing much better than Boudreau who just got sacked this morning.

WSH GM George McPhee fired Bruce Boudreau this morning. Dale Hunter is the new head coach. Will be at practice this morning.

Bob McKenzie

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Try doing the research on this and you'll see you are complaining about nothing.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I don't need research during the losing streak I saw it multiple times. Now that we have had an awsome month CJ hasn't had the chance thankfuly to do this since we have had the lead or been tied most of the times late in the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : I don't need research during the losing streak I saw it multiple times. Now that we have had an awsome month CJ hasn't had the chance thankfuly to do this since we have had the lead or been tied most of the times late in the game.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

Oh yes you do and no you didn't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

So if I understand this thread right, CJ has changed into a better coach. It isn't that your opinion of him changed, a coach that looks remarkably similar to the coach the Bs have had for the past several seasons changed.(?) 

Which is more plausible?

Just admit you were all wrong to criticize the guy and move on, you don't have to make up things like the coach has changed his ways and is rehabilitated now. We all make mistakes, just admit you were wrong about CJ.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I think that CJ's system is perfect for the players that he has. There isn't any talent (outside of Seguin, Thomas, and Chara) that jumps out at you. Just a bunch of guys who can eat minutes, limit mistakes, can play a solid physical game, and can capitalize when the chances are there on offense.
    His style doesn't require speed or super-creative passing. Offensively, his system is very basic. Simple outlet passes to limit turnovers, and keeping the puck on the perimeter until it's safe to bring it out.
    If you've got grit and you're determined to play well defensively as a forward, you can be a good two-way forward in the NHL. Claude likes to find guys who are willing to be this style of player. We can knock Kessel for his lack of testicular fortitude, but the bottom line is that, outside of Savvy, he was easily our most talented forward 3 years ago. When Julien felt comfortable letting him go, it was a sign that flashy play wasn't necessary, and it's harder to find consistency in flash than it is to find grit.
    I've always liked Julien's system. It's not the most exciting, but it's the right system for the players that he brings in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

More new wave fantasy sports fan nonsense. ''Julian never changed'' I've been watching the Bruins faithfully since 1978 and been a close watcher of the American leage hockey for a very long time. I watched CJ coach the Hamilton bulldogs and they played the same way the current Bruins do now. when Bruins hired CJ I thought he was the best coach in Boston since Pat Burns and would be the coach that finally brings home the hardware. ''Hockey prophet lol'' i was thrilled when the Bruins hired CJ. my reaction was ''IT'S ABOUT TIME BRUINS HAVE A REAL COACH'' i watched Orielly and Milbury come close but they weren't seasoned coaches. Bruins let Burns go only because they were going in a different direction ''Burns was well liked in Boston'' CJ was great in Montreal and Jersey. why they fired him is still a mystery. bottom line is CJ fits with the Bruins style of play. the rest is history.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Ive always backed the guy. Always thought he took too much crap from some people (Hi, Felger. PS: The Shultz stuff with the theme song and all was never really that funny)

He got them to the playoffs all 4 seasons he's been here and oh yeah, WON THE CUP.

Do I always agree with him? Absolutely not. But hes clearly better than most out there. It's not even a debate anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach:
    [QUOTE]Yah, I wanted him fired forever.  I wanted him fired even when he was winning in years gone by.  I wanted him fired in the middle of the Habs series last year. Not anymore.  I think he's a changed man. I'm guessing a lot of you will say he's always been that way, but I'm seeing a lot of things from him that I've not seen from him and his team before. Losing streaks .  In this year's losing streak I did not see what I'd seen in previous losing streaks, a demoralized team or terrible inconsistency or what seemed to be outright lack of effort.  In this year's losing streak I thought they were actually playing well, they didn't seem like they gave up, they were pretty consistent emotionally.  It seemed to me in other years losing streaks would unsettle CJ, this year he was composed in the crisis. Surprise moves .  Like putting Benoit in the shootout the other night.  Other years he would do weird stuff like putting Ryder in the shootout when he was in a cold streak and it didn't work.  I really like CJ's explanation afterwards, that he wanted to build Benoit's confidence and he wanted to put him in a position where he wouldn't lose the game for them, but could win it.  Great coaches always surprised me, for example, my thoughts of Bowman every so often were like "what on earth is he doing?" and then I'd see it was a smart move.  CJ is doing that. Long term thinking .  Putting in Rask rather than TT for Detroit.  Important to build Rask's confidence and not just give him easy games.  Even tho they lost, it was a good move.  It's moves like that which will be good predictors of Rask's future, and if they decide Rask is a dud and want to move him, using him like that is the best way to show him.   As with Benoit in the shoot out, there seems to be more thinking of what's beyond the one game. Using timeouts wisely .  He's got that mastered.  Previous years many a game he never even used them. Confidence.   In the past I've judged this from the post game interviews.  And in previous years he seemed confused, deer in the headlights and picked language that I thought didn't reflect well.  A bunch of people said that I was just picking on him because english wasn't his first language and that he wasn't good on camera.  Well, he still isn't what I would call a good orator, but he is a confident man and you can see it.  He is less fidgety, his posture is more upright, his language is better because the confusion isn't there.  His eyes don't wander around like before.  He says the right things, he isn't scapegoating his players in the mealy mouthed way he did before. It strikes me as this is something permanent and not a 'high' from winning the cup, but now something that has innately changed within him. Bringing along rookies .  This one is a stretch, it more of a sense than real evidence.  What he's been doing with Caron, Kampfer and even Hamill seems different to me.  He seems to be using them more "right" than he did with Seguin or Caron last year.  I think now he's learned to pull the strings on rookies.  This year isn't a good example, but we'll see with Hamilton, as I said, it's more a gut feeling than anything else. Putting Seguin in the penalty box.  On bench minors and the like rather than just sticking Thornton in there to take up space, he's putting in Seguin for the possible breakaway when the penalty expires. It's not often my opinion goes 180 on a guy.  I had thought CJ was an interim solution to fix the damage of Lewis. I think CJ's game has taken a giant leap forward.  I think he's moved from average coach to an elite coach.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Good analysis BadHab.  I was never a big fan of CJ, but he started to win me over in the playoffs 2 years ago and won me over during last year's playoffs.

You need the horses to win, but I think his disciplined 2-way hockey system has worked out very well and makes the Bruins a tough team to play against.

Ofcourse having Thomas in net and Chara defending at the against the top snipers doesn't hurt....Laughing

Having said all that.......what would have happend if Montreal won that OT game after Subban tied it up late?  We'll never know...........

Sometimes the stars simply have to align right.

I have to say that PC has really impressed me with his moves and I would give him all the credit for assembling this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]So if I understand this thread right, CJ has changed into a better coach. It isn't that your opinion of him changed, a coach that looks remarkably similar to the coach the Bs have had for the past several seasons changed.(?)  Which is more plausible? Just admit you were all wrong to criticize the guy and move on, you don't have to make up things like the coach has changed his ways and is rehabilitated now. We all make mistakes, just admit you were wrong about CJ.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.  CJ has not evolved from a "terrible" coach to a "great" coach.  He has made slight adjustments, yes.  But he has been a really good coach for many years.  He essentially turned this franchise around.  And as the players have become more comfortable with the system the team has become better.

The Bruins have been legit contenders the last three or so years.  Let's compare playoffs three years ago to this past year.  Against Carolina the Bruins were one goal away from the ECF after being down in the series 3-1.  This past year against Montreal the Bruins were down in the series 2-0 and came back to win it in OT of game 7.  Very similar situations, however the Bruins players, who three years ago had very little playoffs experience, now knew what it would take to go that extra mile.

So IMO, it isn't that CJ has completely evolved, it is more that the players are more experienced and familiar with the intensity of playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Completely agree.  CJ has not evolved from a "terrible" coach to a "great" coach.  He has made slight adjustments, yes.  But he has been a really good coach for many years.  He essentially turned this franchise around.  And as the players have become more comfortable with the system the team has become better. The Bruins have been legit contenders the last three or so years.  Let's compare playoffs three years ago to this past year.  Against Carolina the Bruins were one goal away from the ECF after being down in the series 3-1.  This past year against Montreal the Bruins were down in the series 2-0 and came back to win it in OT of game 7.  Very similar situations, however the Bruins players, who three years ago had very little playoffs experience, now knew what it would take to go that extra mile. So IMO, it isn't that CJ has completely evolved, it is more that the players are more experienced and familiar with the intensity of playoffs.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan[/QUOTE]

"completely evovled"  No, I never said that.  In previous threads I often said of CJ that he was a good coach, but not a great one.  I had pointed out what I felt were blunders by CJ.

If he was always a great coach, why did NJ and Montreal fire him?

And the players in Montreal and NJ weren't experienced in the playoffs?

Hey, if you've always been a fan of CJ, great, but don't go telling me he was always that way.  I've always been a fan of Seguin, but I'll be the first to admit that he has improved and wasn't always the same player he is now.

Sure, his system probably is the same since he was 8 years old or something, but the points I made were much more subtle than system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : "completely evovled"  No, I never said that.  In previous threads I often said of CJ that he was a good coach, but not a great one.  I had pointed out what I felt were blunders by CJ. If he was always a great coach, why did NJ and Montreal fire him? And the players in Montreal and NJ weren't experienced in the playoffs? Hey, if you've always been a fan of CJ, great, but don't go telling me he was always that way.  I've always been a fan of Seguin, but I'll be the first to admit that he has improved and wasn't always the same player he is now. Sure, his system probably is the same since he was 8 years old or something, but the points I made were much more subtle than system.

Sorry, maybe I've been misunderstood.

I don't think he has always been a great coach. However, I do believe that he has been consistent during his tenure in Boston.  I don't think his coaching has changed as dramatically as you've claimed over the past few months or so (I believe you were calling him out even during the playoffs last year, but please correct me if I am wrong on this).  I just think the experience of the players has had more of an impact on the team than CJ's coaching adjustments.  I think he has been a great coach since he has been here, completely turning this franchise around.

For example, like Red said, he's always been a man of "surprise moves".  Benching Kessel in the playoffs years back against Montreal seemed like a surprise move.  Look at how it motivated Kessel.  Claude has always been a long term thinker as well.  He has always had a plan for his goaltending duos and states this all of the time.  And you say it "seems different" how he is treating rookies but realistically the only change is that Seguin is getting ice time this year because he has proven that he deserves it.  Last year Seguin looked like a boy among men for much of the season.  Rookies like Caron and Kampfer still have not proven themselves and are being treated as Seguin was last year, by getting limited ice time and a lot of time upstairs.

This is just my opinion though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Oh yes you do and no you didn't.

Ok are you pee wee herman? " I know you are but what am I"? See I watch the bruins when they are playing well and times when they are playing horrid. If you didn't see this at all in the early games this season chances are you weren't watching them. Maybe you only watch when the bruins are playing well?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Sorry, maybe I've been misunderstood. I don't think he has always been a great coach.
    OK, fair enough, so I think we might be both on the same page.
    However, I do believe that he has been consistent during his tenure in Boston.  I don't think his coaching has changed as dramatically as you've claimed over the past few months or so
    true, overall his coaching hasn't changed very dramatically, but the devil is in the detail.  It's the little stuff that turns you from grade B coach, not deep playoff coach, into what he is now, grade A coach capable of a deep playoff run.
     (I believe you were calling him out even during the playoffs last year, but please correct me if I am wrong on this). 
    Yes, I wanted him fired in the Habs series.  I had thought he had it going on from the Ryder benching, but I thought he reverted in the Habs series, but then it was from that point on that he got religion and was able to get it together consistently
     However I just think the experience of the players has had more of an impact on the team than CJ's coaching adjustments. 
    Same team that started the playoffs v. the Habs that ended that series.
    I think he has been a great coach since he has been here, completely turning this franchise around.
    I believe that was colored by the mess that Lewis left - and "F" coach, evidenced by his just getting back an assistant job recently. I think he was a "B" coach then, and turning the mess around as fast as he did got him the Adams.
    For example, like Red said, he's always been a man of "surprise moves".  Benching Kessel in the playoffs years back against Montreal seemed like a surprise move.  Look at how it motivated Kessel. 
    Yes, great move.  It was the right move. 
    Claude has always been a long term thinker as well.
    I believe if Claude was the Claude of today, he would have done better with Kessel and figured out how to get him to show up for the Carolina series.
    He has always had a plan for his goaltending duos and states this all of the time.  And you say it "seems different" how he is treating rookies but realistically the only change is that Seguin is getting ice time this year because he has proven that he deserves it.  Last year Seguin looked like a boy among men for much of the season. 
    True, only my gut feel makes me say that.
    Rookies like Caron and Kampfer still have not proven themselves and are being treated as Seguin was last year, by getting limited ice time and a lot of time upstairs.
    Right, but it seems smoother.  There were games where Seguin sat and people said he should be playing and games where people said he should be sitting.  This year, the only question I had - and others - was playing Pouliot where I - and others - thought maybe Hamill should get another shot.  CJ proved right - he got the production out of Pouliot.  There wasn't such a 1 to 1 effect as with Seguin last year.
    This is just my opinion though.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Ok are you pee wee herman? " I know you are but what am I"? See I watch the bruins when they are playing well and times when they are playing horrid. If you didn't see this at all in the early games this season chances are you weren't watching them. Maybe you only watch when the bruins are playing well?

But they weren't playing horrid in their losing streak this year.  They didn't cough up any big leads.  They didn't get horribly outshot or outhit.  They were playing reasonably well, but losing.

They had many a losing streak in years gone by and I was all over CJ for them.  Not the case this year at all.  Not the type of emotional letdowns of years gone by, not games in a row with the same mistakes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : But they weren't playing horrid in their losing streak this year.  They didn't cough up any big leads.  They didn't get horribly outshot or outhit.  They were playing reasonably well, but losing. They had many a losing streak in years gone by and I was all over CJ for them.  Not the case this year at all.  Not the type of emotional letdowns of years gone by, not games in a row with the same mistakes.

I felt there were many no shows by the bruins in the effort department and slow starts in the early games. Losing to the caines twice the avs at home come to mind right off the bat without looking back. Glad we are playing and looking better but early on the 60 min efforts weren't there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : I felt there were many no shows by the bruins in the effort department and slow starts in the early games. Losing to the caines twice the avs at home come to mind right off the bat without looking back. Glad we are playing and looking better but early on the 60 min efforts weren't there.
    The B's werent bad in that game. The ran into a hot goalie, which happens to every team 2-5x's a season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]More new wave fantasy sports fan nonsense. ''Julian never changed'' I've been watching the Bruins faithfully since 1978 and been a close watcher of the American leage hockey for a very long time. I watched CJ coach the Hamilton bulldogs and they played the same way the current Bruins do now. when Bruins hired CJ I thought he was the best coach in Boston since Pat Burns and would be the coach that finally brings home the hardware. ''Hockey prophet lol'' i was thrilled when the Bruins hired CJ. my reaction was ''IT'S ABOUT TIME BRUINS HAVE A REAL COACH'' i watched Orielly and Milbury come close but they weren't seasoned coaches. Bruins let Burns go only because they were going in a different direction ''Burns was well liked in Boston'' CJ was great in Montreal and Jersey. why they fired him is still a mystery. bottom line is CJ fits with the Bruins style of play. the rest is history.
    Posted by riptide757[/QUOTE]
    Really? You tell me a game in the last 2 seasons when the B's got down 2-0 early in agame where he called a time out like he did against the Jets. Tell me when he called the T.O in the Philly series 2 play-offs ago in game 7. Bad Hab is bang on his assessment. Cj has learned & evolved just as his players have that have been here since he was here or before.

When the B's were up 1-0 in Montreal & up 3-2 in the Jets game late. The only 4th liner that was on the ice after the 3 minute mark was Campbell & that was because he was having better draws than Bergy in both games. YOU NEVER would've seen Campbell out there over Bergy 2 seasons ago. Those are changes he made. Whether that happened because of Neely or PC will never be known for sure, but he certainly has evolved in area's that needed addressing. And I bet if CJ was asked these questions he'd admit that he has as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Ok are you pee wee herman? " I know you are but what am I"? See I watch the bruins when they are playing well and times when they are playing horrid. If you didn't see this at all in the early games this season chances are you weren't watching them. Maybe you only watch when the bruins are playing well?

'Still not impressed how he likes to play the 4th line when down a goal with 3 mins left in the game.'

PeeWee Herman did your research for you  http://bruins.nhl.com/. Paille-Thornton-Campbell were not out together at anytime during any of the 7 losses in your scenario.

PeeWee says you're full of bowel movements. It's quite possible your vision was obstructed from the garbage the fans were throwing on the ice while you were being entertained.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I believe if Claude was the Claude of today, he would have done better with Kessel and figured out how to get him to show up for the Carolina series. - BadHab

This comment is why I don't agree with your assessment of Claude. You're making it seem like Claude has had some sort of break through over the past season. I don't see that idea as plausible or likely. I think the more likely scenario is you were too hard on CJ and not hard enough on the players for the weak play. As a result, you undervalued CJ as a coach. Now that they have won a cup and the team is playing his system well, you're coming around on the coach.

It was Kessel that was the problem, not Claude. Kessel is going to play his game. Yes it's a good game but it's not Claude's game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : 'Still not impressed how he likes to play the 4th line when down a goal with 3 mins left in the game.' PeeWee Herman did your research for you  http://bruins.nhl.com/ . Paille-Thornton-Campbell were not out together at anytime during any of the 7 losses in your scenario. PeeWee says you're full of bowel movements. It's quite possible your vision was obstructed from the garbage the fans were throwing on the ice while you were being entertained.

So vs the cains in carolina the 4th line didnt see the ice after the bruins scored with 3 mins left in the third down a goal? They were on the ice for the next shift and for over a min.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I believe if Claude was the Claude of today, he would have done better with Kessel and figured out how to get him to show up for the Carolina series. - BadHab This comment is why I don't agree with your assessment of Claude. You're making it seem like Claude has had some sort of break through over the past season. I don't see that idea as plausible or likely. I think the more likely scenario is you were too hard on CJ and not hard enough on the players for the weak play. As a result, you undervalued CJ as a coach. Now that they have won a cup and the team is playing his system well, you're coming around on the coach. It was Kessel that was the problem, not Claude. Kessel is going to play his game. Yes it's a good game but it's not Claude's game.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Not a breakthrough, no.  Student going from B or  B+ to A+ head of the class.  That's an improvement, yah, but not from a C to an A+.

Again, the devil is in the details.

And as far getting Kessel to show up, I *think* he'd do better today, but I would agree that Kessel just does what he feels like and that's that.  And it wouldn't surprise me if he still couldn't influence Kessel even today.  Just think today's Julien would have a better chance.

Hey, I'm far from his biggest detractor of old, there were many than wanted to lynch the guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Not a breakthrough, no.  Student going from B or  B+ to A+ head of the class.  That's an improvement, yah, but not from a C to an A+. Again, the devil is in the details. And as far getting Kessel to show up, I *think* he'd do better today, but I would agree that Kessel just does what he feels like and that's that.  And it wouldn't surprise me if he still couldn't influence Kessel even today.  Just think today's Julien would have a better chance. Hey, I'm far from his biggest detractor of old, there were many than wanted to lynch the guy.

Fair enough. You say B to an A+, I'd say it was more of a B+ to A- given the cup run and development of recent players.

Julien definitely has more cache given the cup un but still think it would be hard for Kessel to listen as he strikes me as a guy that is happy with his current game despite its flaws.

True that, after 2-0 to Montreal it seemed like he would need an escort out of Suffolk County.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

He's an elite coach...as long as he keeps winning....then he gets fired.,,,life of a pro coach.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : So vs the cains in carolina the 4th line didnt see the ice after the bruins scored with 3 mins left in the third down a goal? They were on the ice for the next shift and for over a min.

This is your multiple times which you seen in the the 3-7 streak ? Campbell and Thornton started their shift with 3:35 left ( which last time I looked is more then not less then the 3 minutes left in the game you're whining about Julien putting them out ).

Paille didn't play that shift, Thornton had 55 seconds and Campbell got stuck out there for 1:37. So essentially you are whining about Paille not playing , Thornton's extra 20 seconds past the magic 3:00 mark and Campbells prolonged 1:02. That's 1:22. 

Hardly the multiple times you claimed you saw. Like I said the answer is zero CJ put them out there as a unit in your scenario.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think CJ has evolved into an elite coach : Try doing the research on this and you'll see you are complaining about nothing.

How many times was the 4th line on in the last 5mins of the game ?  Wink