I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???

In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???:
    [QUOTE]The worst part of all this (besides myself posting ) is I don't think Timmy is done. So guys/gals saddle up , take off the gloves these threads will not die.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right B's.  TT has been regularly posting his personal views on a number of issues via facebook for quite a while.  He's always been a bit controversial with his views, but until the White House thing, nobody seemed to get their panties in a knot..  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]This thread proves the point that Thomas talking DOES matter. It matters to the fans. It matters to the employer. It matters to his agent, the NHLPA, the NHL and the sponsors. It may or may not matter to his teammates (there's no way to tell). Some of you are saying it's irrelevant and a non-story, but clearly that is not accurate. It's not venom we are spewing...it's a rational discussion that the comments he is making are divisive, and there is no tangible up-side to the Bruins organization and the fans to what he is saying. It's a distraction. Same as Seguin staying out all night. Same as Ference throwing Paille under the bus. It all counts. We can say "who care as long as the play on the ice doesn't change" until we are blue in the face, but it matters to me. I don't want the people I root for to pull this kind of stuff. and i'm not alone. And that all matters.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Not going to comment on the meaning of what he said or why he said it, but on a side note, did anyone see this coming?? I guess they knew in the locker room, but this whole time I figured he was a blue collar family man who made his dreams a reality by never saying no and working hard. I kind of assumed from hearing interviews/reading quotes that he was a stubborn guy and I chalked it up to that chip that drives him. I never saw the White House thing coming. Again, I'm not political or religious, so any comment I make on it would be uneducated at best, I'm just totally suprised he's doing this, not sure what he has to gain..I love timmy, love his story,love his play, love how he'll hit a player or try to break their stick.love how he smiles and laugh with the refs and looks like he's having a ball out there. I love rooting for him, even for some reason take great pride when NHL analysts called him the best goalie on the planet. I'm 36, I still try to copy what he does when I'm playing...I just wish he'd we can get back to talking about his play and his story...I don't know why he is bringing this upon himself and his teammates. Anyone else see this one coming?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I don't think he's doing his reputation any good by doing these kinds of things then saying they aren't political.Just because it's his right to say what he believes to be true does not mean that he should on a public forum like facebook.I suspect the team will have something to say on this, in fact most sports franchises have policies on what content you put out on social media.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]This thread proves the point that Thomas talking DOES matter. It matters to the fans. It matters to the employer. It matters to his agent, the NHLPA, the NHL and the sponsors. It may or may not matter to his teammates (there's no way to tell). Some of you are saying it's irrelevant and a non-story, but clearly that is not accurate. It's not venom we are spewing...it's a rational discussion that the comments he is making are divisive, and there is no tangible up-side to the Bruins organization and the fans to what he is saying. It's a distraction. Same as Seguin staying out all night. Same as Ference throwing Paille under the bus. It all counts. We can say "who care as long as the play on the ice doesn't change" until we are blue in the face, but it matters to me. I don't want the people I root for to pull this kind of stuff. and i'm not alone. And that all matters.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from.  couple things though.  you mention seguin/up all night, ferrence/paille under the bus.  Those things asmaha, are hockey related, so there is a difference(personally though, I think too much was made by both of those things too)
    we're all entitled to either agree, or disagree with his comments, and motive.  what's at the root here though...is this hero worship stuff.  some people actually went from adoring...to hating this guy because of his politics.  whatever fandom he used to have was because of his hockey.  doesn't that matter anymore?  I don't care if Blaine Lacher's politics mirror mine.  I don't need that from my hockey players.  I'll take TT.
     No one is obligated to agree with his thoughts.  if it becomes evident that Chara leans quite far to the left, does that mean all the moderates, tea partiers and republicans are gonna want his head?
    if so...maybe we should have a little more data, before we become hopelessly, devotedly in love with an entertainment symbol.  reality won't be quite so painful.
    the guy is an athlete.  one who is doing pretty much what he's always been doing.  he's not a pedophile.
    Again, nothing at all wrong with disagreeing with his politics.  Geez though, don't we all have friends, family members, and neighbors that have differing political views than us? what is so threatening about TT coming out of the closet?
    If there's a bad guy here.  it's the boston media.  they're having a filed day because they know the marketplace eats this stuff up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Tim Thomas is standing on principle, and doing what he believes in his heart. Thats character, but we already knew that about him. 

Respect

Don't worry Timmy, you're in good company.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Tim Thomas is standing on principle, and doing what he believes in his heart. Thats character, but we already knew that about him.  Respect Don't worry Timmy, you're in good company.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    Doesn't character also imply sticking by original comments regarding not making anymore comments?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : i'd give you a brief history lesson but Red might not like it
    Posted by vcec[/QUOTE]

Post whatever ya wish vcec. I'm always interested in history, if it's factual it wouldn't matter if I like it or not. Sides, I'm not American. It's complicated enough understanding the origins of separation of church and state in my own country. Maybe we can share history lessons ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : Doesn't character also imply sticking by original comments regarding not making anymore comments?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Yea just because someone changed their mind as an individual doesn't make them have any less character if he's not breaking laws. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : Yeah, and they got white hoods too...must be his close friends.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

I never intended to say that, I was impyling the asylum was calling. However you are right, conspiracy theorists have wondered why his 3 kids all start with K.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : Absolute BS stevegm, I haven't talked down to anyone.  I never like flippant comparisons to the Nazis, that's all.  I beleive that this was one.  I totally respect TT's right to speak up, I just don't like it as a Bruins fan or as someone who feels in general that the tenor or political debate gets totally out of hand and both sides love compare every situation to the Nazis.  I don't know what you find so threatening about my opinion, but you tried to take pretty good run at me here without any perspective about what I'm saying.  And you'll have to do a hell of a lot better than that to take anyone "to the woodshed". I like you bud, but that's that a cheapie and you know it.  Cheers.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Cmon Fletch, I been pumpin your tires......not gonna finish that, may have been used before.
    No bs though.  Inferring someones "naivety' in 2 seperate posts in the same thread is talking down.
    I'm not threatened by your opinion.  In fact I usually think your opinions are enlightening.  You almost always come across as someone who genuinely enjoys discussion, someone who considers and appreciates divergent viewpoints and someone who's more interested in getting to the right answer than providing it.
    This TT thing though....seems like it hit a nerve....rattled those excellent critical thinking skills.  Pierced that keenly developed analytical prowess. 
    Is it possible we read different facebook posts.  The one I read didn't say a word about Nazi's.  There was no inference regarding the extermination Jews.  If you read the same "poem" I did...I know you're way too smart to misinterpret the message.  Therefore, I'm only left to assume you deliberately threw that in there, knowing the 'lemmings' wouldn't check...stir the pot and elevate your position.

In the words of Leon Phelps......Not Cool.

Anyway, my unusually aggressive response can be clinically associated to a fairly common neurological disorder.  In laymans terms it goes something like this.
     "when a role model says or does something outside the perimetres that are arbitrarily set forth in our minds, a heightened level of anxiety, judgementalism, and paranoia short circuit our ability to process fundamental logic".  
    It happenned to my sister, when she learned Peter Pan really couldn't fly.  My cousin, when he learned there really wasn't a Santa Claus, and my older brother when Ellen DeGeneress confessed she was gay.  
    Sound familiar?
    Now it appears my realization that you're only human, adds my name to the list.
    Please tell me we saw different facebook postings.....and treat me with more respect.  I'm probably 25 years older than you, and fairly insecure. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

sorry guys, gotta bump this up, communist is now replying to his/her own posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : Cmon Fletch, I been pumpin your tires......not gonna finish that, may have been used before. No bs though.  Inferring someones "naivety' in 2 seperate posts in the same thread is talking down. I'm not threatened by your opinion.  In fact I usually think your opinions are enlightening.  You almost always come across as someone who genuinely enjoys discussion, someone who considers and appreciates divergent viewpoints and someone who's more interested in getting to the right answer than providing it. This TT thing though....seems like it hit a nerve....rattled those excellent critical thinking skills.  Pierced that keenly developed analytical prowess.  Is it possible we read different facebook posts.  The one I read didn't say a word about Nazi's.  There was no inference regarding the extermination Jews.  If you read the same "poem" I did...I know you're way too smart to misinterpret the message.  Therefore, I'm only left to assume you deliberately threw that in there, knowing the 'lemmings' wouldn't check...stir the pot and elevate your position.    In the words of Leon Phelps......Not Cool. Anyway, my unusually aggressive response can be clinically associated to a fairly common neurological disorder.  In laymans terms it goes something like this.  "when a role model says or does something outside the perimetres that are arbitrarily set forth in our minds, a heightened level of anxiety, judgementalism, and paranoia short circuit our ability to process fundamental logic".   It happenned to my sister, when she learned Peter Pan really couldn't fly.  My cousin, when he learned there really wasn't a Santa Claus, and my older brother when Ellen DeGeneress confessed she was gay.   Sound familiar? Now it appears my realization that you're only human, adds my name to the list. Please tell me we saw different facebook postings.....and treat me with more respect.  I'm probably 25 years older than you, and fairly insecure. 
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

Good grief, I don't really understand where you're going with all of this, but I always try to respond to good posters.  I think you are making my comment and this situation a good deal more complicated than it is.  All of these references to critical thinking and analytical logic makes me think your really overshooting a fairly simple thought.  What I wrote was an opinion, not a scientific thesis.  It is my opinion that the poem used was a poor analogy for the healthcare issue that Thomas tried to comment on.  It think the poem is fine, and is an articulate description of the oppression and tyranny.  I don't like the application of it in that context.  It is a red herring (in my opinion), and one that is grossly overused in political debate (Hitler comparisons).  You disagree, that's fine.  I don't think that is foolish, but in my opinion it seems naive, so I said so.  Sorry to offend.

I really do dislike this discussion.  I don't care about all of the "drive-by" posters who come here once a year, but I don't like people like you and nite jumping all over people for having an opinion about Thomas' public statements.  He's put partisan politics out there and you've got to expect a response.  It is all very predictable.  I wish he wouldn't do this, that's all.  I think it is the peak of hypocrisy to fiercly defend Thomas for his right to speak out, and then come here frothing at the mouth to shout down those who similarly speak out against him.

Let's get back to the Bruins.  I know we agree on what we want there. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hockey Forum goes Politics...

Reading this debate, the only logical conclusion is the following:

If you align politically with TT then he is not a distraction, he has high character and is entitled to his opinion.

If you DO NOT align politically with TT then he is a distraction, has low character and should keep his opinions to himself.

Hockey anyone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : Good grief, I don't really understand where you're going with all of this, but I always try to respond to good posters.  I think you are making my comment and this situation a good deal more complicated than it is.  All of these references to critical thinking and analytical logic makes me think your really overshooting a fairly simple thought.  What I wrote was an opinion , not a scientific thesis.  It is my opinion that the poem used was a poor analogy for the healthcare issue that Thomas tried to comment on.  It think the poem is fine, and is an articulate description of the oppression and tyranny.  I don't like the application of it in that context.  It is a red herring (in my opinion), and one that is grossly overused in political debate (Hitler comparisons).  You disagree, that's fine.  I don't think that is foolish, but in my opinion it seems naive, so I said so.  Sorry to offend. I really do dislike this discussion.  I don't care about all of the "drive-by" posters who come here once a year, but I don't like people like you and nite jumping all over people for having an opinion about Thomas' public statements.  He's put partisan politics out there and you've got to expect a response.  It is all very predictable.  I wish he wouldn't do this, that's all.  I think it is the peak of hypocrisy to fiercly defend Thomas for his right to speak out, and then come here frothing at the mouth to shout down those who similarly speak out against him. Let's get back to the Bruins.  I know we agree on what we want there. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Fletch? Buddy, I think to get worked up over an athlete showing his opinion on his politcal or religious views is nothing to get worked up over. If he was talking about something criminal or racial I'd be all over the guy. Just because the guy is a popular person because he makes a living in the entertainment business should he have to give up his right to speak out? I think the guy is using his fame to speak for others who if they did it would just fall on deaf ears. Your reaction is EXACTLY what the media wants! This is how the media makes their money. You & the ones like over the top Ols are the ones that are going to be the cause of the distraction to the team. It's this kind of circus that the media wants so that they can run to their boss & say "Whewwww! Look at the dung storm I caused with the Boston Bruins! Can I have that raise now?" TSN & KPD are supposedly to be involved in sports, but yet they make someone making a personal view onto to something that has NOTHING to do with their job! It's you & the ones like you that are going to be the cause of the distraction, because if you didn't react. There wouldn't be anything to react to! And as TT said today "I'm out!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Hey Kel, I have read alot of your stuff. Your above observation is spot on. It is my mantra from this point on, hockey please!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

No one on this forum has stopped expressing their opinons... why should TT?

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Regardless of aligning with him or not, this has, and will, continue to be a distraction to the Boston Bruin hockey team, cause that's why we're on this site, correct? If the team continues to struggle, it will magnify, which is a shame.
    n Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???:
    [QUOTE]Hockey Forum goes Politics... Reading this debate, the only logical conclusion is the following: If you align politically with TT then he is not a distraction, he has high character and is entitled to his opinion. If you DO NOT align politically with TT then he is a distraction, has low character and should keep his opinions to himself. Hockey anyone?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

professional athletes like everyone in this country have the right to free speech

However when they speak publicly they are speaking as part of a team and an organization that spends a great deal of time and money cultivation their public image.

It does matter what they say publicly. to the team and to the whole organization. Especially when speaking about controversial topics.

TT blew it

Sections
Shortcuts