I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???

In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : Good grief, I don't really understand where you're going with all of this, but I always try to respond to good posters.  I think you are making my comment and this situation a good deal more complicated than it is.  All of these references to critical thinking and analytical logic makes me think your really overshooting a fairly simple thought.  What I wrote was an opinion , not a scientific thesis.  It is my opinion that the poem used was a poor analogy for the healthcare issue that Thomas tried to comment on.  It think the poem is fine, and is an articulate description of the oppression and tyranny.  I don't like the application of it in that context.  It is a red herring (in my opinion), and one that is grossly overused in political debate (Hitler comparisons).  You disagree, that's fine.  I don't think that is foolish, but in my opinion it seems naive, so I said so.  Sorry to offend. I really do dislike this discussion.  I don't care about all of the "drive-by" posters who come here once a year, but I don't like people like you and nite jumping all over people for having an opinion about Thomas' public statements.  He's put partisan politics out there and you've got to expect a response.  It is all very predictable.  I wish he wouldn't do this, that's all.  I think it is the peak of hypocrisy to fiercly defend Thomas for his right to speak out, and then come here frothing at the mouth to shout down those who similarly speak out against him. Let's get back to the Bruins.  I know we agree on what we want there. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I'm just having a spirited discussion that's all,hopefully, sprinkled with a little humor.
    It's well documented.  I don't have a problem with people speaking up about TT's politics.  He's made himself fair game.  I don't at all agree with many things TT has said.  I don't agree with the White House no show either.  I just happen to opine that people are over reacting. Your Nazi interpretation is the poster child.
    All I disagree with, is fueling the fire with innuendo and gross exageration.  You and anyone else are welcome to their opinion.  What you're saying above is 180 degrees from a page or so ago, so I guess you do see where I'm coming from.
    There is absolutely no correlation to Hitler, the Halocaust, or Nazism in TT's latest rant, and no one is entitled to hold that opinion.  It's a wildly, ridiculous, irresponsible interpretation.
    And I really am not trying to be cerebral or complicated, or anything else.  The "critical thinking and analytical".........geez man, just an attempt at humour.
     We're all B's fans here, why make this thing any more dastardly than it really is?
      That's all my point is. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He's being gutless. If he's going to make controversial posts in hs fb page, then he really can't throw a fit when the media asks him about the posts. People read his Facebook page because of what he does on the ice. If isn't willing to stand up or what he posts, then stop making posts. I think he's a great goalie, but he's also a nut. He's taken one too many pucks off the ol melon. He might be over do for an MRI.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to "Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking???": [QUOTE]his comments have nothing to do with the bruins, or hockey. unless he was on facebook while "on the job" then this is a non issue. put yourself in his shoes, he's not supposed to express himself honestly and on his own time because lame media and nosey fans can't handle the topic? if the bruins ownership and/or management is as sensitive and offended as some of the fans then they have every right to trade him. however, they can't punish him, or make him stop. the bruins employ him, they don't own him. i don't see him going anywhere. Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE] Nosey fans? Really? Lamestream media? HE made the post. And he had to know it was going to cause controversy. I mean, why would he post such comments if he didn't want to be questioned about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]the constitution doesn't make a single reference to christianity, jesus christ, or the bible..... "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."-1796 Treaty of Tripoli "Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the Common Law."   Thomas Jefferson -letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, 1814 "The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion." -Thomas Paine " I have generally been denominated a Deist, the reality of which I never disputed, being conscious I am no Christian, except mere infant baptism makes me one; and as to being a Deist, I know not strictly speaking, whether I am one or not." Ethan Allen                                     preface, Reason the Only Oracle of Man "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my profession."                         -Spoken by Abraham Lincoln, quoted by Joseph Lewis "As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation.  But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"     John Adams -letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816   "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."     James Madison  -letter to Wm. Bradford, April 1, 1774 ......etc.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]
    The earliest Supreme Court declares us a christian nation.

The Holy Trinity Decision vs United States:

“There is no dissonance in these declarations. There is a universal language pervading them all, having one meaning. They affirm and reaffirm that this is a religious nation. These are not individual sayings, declarations of private persons. They are organic utterances. They speak the voice of the entire people. While because of a general recognition of this truth the question has seldom been presented to the courts, yet we find that in Updegraph v. Com., 11 Serg. & R. 394, 400, it was decided that, ‘Christianity, general Christianity, is, and always has been, a part of the common law of Pennsylvania.”
    Supreme Court Decision, 1892 Church of the Holy Trinity Decision v United States

The original settlers used the New England Primer, a reading primer and the most successful educational textbook of the 1700's, in our classrooms.  It was sold by Ben Franklin and was originally called The Protestant Tudor.  It was later replaced by the secular Blue Back Speller in 1790 which became the blueprint for modern textbooks.

The truth is there.  The first book used in our country to teach our kids was christian.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangedman. Show hangedman's posts

A few thoughts.

1. Before a person makes a very public political statement, he should get his head around the definition of politics.  That Thomas' original statement was not about party politics is arguable, if doubtful.  For him to say it was not political in any way revealed him to be painfully ignorant about the very topic he was attempting to address.

2. Thomas insists his job should be kept entirely separate from his private views.  But in opting out of a team event because of his politics, it was Thomas who brought his private views into his job.  Thomas can't have it both ways.

3. Some have suggested that the media's attention to Thomas' comments is a symptom of the reporters' own political biases and the fact that Thomas does his job in a very blue state.  But anyone who thinks Thomas wouldn't be facing the same press scrutiny in any NHL city-or in Atlanta if the NHL was still there-is very naive.  This is a story, and the press in any city in North America would pursue it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]A few thoughts. 1. Before a person makes a very public political statement, he should get his head around the definition of politics.  That Thomas' original statement was not about party politics is arguable, if doubtful.  For him to say it was not political in any way revealed him to be painfully ignorant about the very topic he was attempting to address. 2. Thomas insists his job should be kept entirely separate from his private views.  But in opting out of a team event because of his politics, it was Thomas who brought his private views into his job.  Thomas can't have it both ways. 3. Some have suggested that the media's attention to Thomas' comments is a symptom of the reporters' own political biases and the fact that Thomas does his job in a very blue state.  But anyone who thinks Thomas wouldn't be facing the same press scrutiny in any NHL city-or in Atlanta if the NHL was still there-is very naive.  This is a story, and the press in any city in North America would pursue it.
    Posted by hangedman[/QUOTE]

Well said.  The press scrutiny sure.  If I implied the Boston media may be making more out of this than other places, that was partly in error.  What I think they've done ...KPD in particular, is rather than chase the story, they make another, bigger story out of it.   I don't understand the hysteria.
    Mitt Romney, the guy who wants to run the country, states he's not concerned about the "very poor".(and please..I'm Canadian, not a Dem trying to get a lick in here)  A guy who stands in front of pucks for a living states he "agrees with Catholics" on birth control.
    One creates a firestorm, the other barely creates a spark.  Both are taken out of context to make a story.  Do we hold our athletes to a higher standard than our potential President's.
    People in the public eye have a bulls-eye when making public statements. 

I admire TT's courage.  I'm not at all impressed with his judgement. 

He's not lashed out about a corrupt government. He hasn't implied anything most Americans haven't at one time or another.   He's not said we should "shoot" the Catholics.  Therefore his content shouldn't be taken that offensively.
    His judgement, is another story.  He should realize he's a public figure, therefore everything he does publicly, personally or professionally will be disected.  Those who say his comments lack substance are spot on.  If you want to jump up on the soap box, it doesn't make much sense to just go generic.  If that's the route someone wants to go, it seems to me they should be prepared to fiercely defend the other. 
    Two kind of opposite forces here.  Each one cancelling out the other.  Does that make TT a bit of a wing-nut?
    Maybe.   But why should that shake the core of so many B's fans.  There surely are other wing- nuts on the team.  Why can't we just laugh, and leave it at that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Wow...how much more transparent and biased can this be?

If this was another major sport- If George Bush was in the White House- If the criticism was pointed at a conservative policy- If this was about the government taking power in the form of the patriot act, for example...

Then TT would be getting mostly positive feedback, and would be being hailed as a courageous person. BUT , point that criticism towards a liberal policy...and get grilled. 

Poor judgement? Lack of substance? Right wing- nut?

Complete double standard PC garbage - as usual

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Hey on the other hand, all this focus on TT, takes away the Focus on the team. Sort of like Recchi taking the spot light with comments to help take the spot light from Chara last year. I love it....TT carried this team last year and he's doing it again. Putting the focus on himself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : I'm just having a spirited discussion that's all,hopefully, sprinkled with a little humor. It's well documented.  I don't have a problem with people speaking up about TT's politics.  He's made himself fair game.  I don't at all agree with many things TT has said.  I don't agree with the White House no show either.  I just happen to opine that people are over reacting. Your Nazi interpretation is the poster child. All I disagree with, is fueling the fire with innuendo and gross exageration.  You and anyone else are welcome to their opinion.  What you're saying above is 180 degrees from a page or so ago, so I guess you do see where I'm coming from. There is absolutely no correlation to Hitler, the Halocaust, or Nazism in TT's latest rant, and no one is entitled to hold that opinion.  It's a wildly, ridiculous, irresponsible interpretation. And I really am not trying to be cerebral or complicated, or anything else.  The "critical thinking and analytical".........geez man, just an attempt at humour.  We're all B's fans here, why make this thing any more dastardly than it really is?   That's all my point is. 
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

steve, when you have a poem that begins with "In Germany..." and then follows with the phrase "then they came for the Jews" you can't possibly tell me that it has " absolutely no correlation to Hitler, the Halocaust (sic), or Nazism"

That's just absurd.  What do you think of when you hear 'Germany' and the rounding up of Jewish people??  Octoberfest at the synagogue?

That's what I mean by 'naive', and I am sorry to sound insulting (not my intention).  Of course that poem makes you think of the Holocaust.  How could it not?  What other event could that passage possibly be referencing?  It is not an irresponsible interpretation.  Be serious here -- read the words and tell me what it makes you think of.

Anyhow, I appreciate all of the reasonable opinions on this and am only commenting because I felt the need to explain mine, in response to some pretty aggressive questioning.  Glad we can all practice our free speach, but let's talk Bruins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Ding. I'm out. This thread jumped the shark about 12-15 posts ago.

Fletch, some just won't get it. Save yourself the mental anxiety.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : steve, when you have a poem that begins with "In Germany..." and then follows with the phrase "then they came for the Jews" you can't possibly tell me that it has " absolutely no correlation to Hitler, the Halocaust (sic), or Nazism" That's just absurd.  What do you think of when you hear 'Germany' and the rounding up of Jewish people??  Octoberfest at the synagogue? That's what I mean by 'naive', and I am sorry to sound insulting (not my intention).  Of course that poem makes you think of the Holocaust.  How could it not?  What other event could that passage possibly be referencing?  It is not an irresponsible interpretation.  Be serious here -- read the words and tell me what it makes you think of. Anyhow, I appreciate all of the reasonable opinions on this and am only commenting because I felt the need to explain mine, in response to some pretty aggressive questioning.  Glad we can all practice our free speach, but let's talk Bruins.
    fletch, doesn't free speech extend to TT also? why do people think he needs to explain himself? if a guy walks around wearing a yammica(sp), does he need to explain to the world why he is wearing it? TT is a guy who plays the position of goalie VERY WELL. he's not an elected official that needs to explain his actions. he's a hockey player. he owes us nothing but an honest effort every night. period.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : fletch, doesn't free speech extend to TT also? why do people think he needs to explain himself? if a guy walks around wearing a yammica(sp), does he need to explain to the world why he is wearing it? TT is a guy who plays the position of goalie VERY WELL. he's not an elected official that needs to explain his actions. he's a hockey player. he owes us nothing but an honest effort every night. period.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Of course.  Adk, you're jumping into the middle of a dialogue between stevegm and I, where my one and only point is that the poem used by TT is, on some level, a Holocaust reference/comparison.  That is the only point I am trying to make and would greatly like to avoid re-opening the whole free speach debate.  Yes, TT can say this, and others can react.  I have never said that "he has to explain himself".  Not sure what you're responding to.  Go B's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Ding. I'm out. This thread jumped the shark about 12-15 posts ago. Fletch, some just won't get it. Save yourself the mental anxiety.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I know, I just don't understand why we can't reach any common ground at all on the interpretation.  If we are looking at a poem written by an anti-Nazi German historian, that begins with "in Germany" and describes the rounding up of Jews, can we all just agree that he might, just might, be referencing the Holocaust?

Anyhow, I like all of the regular posters and if they have no problem with what TT is saying, that is just fine by me.  Live and let live.  Let's all hope it isn't a big deal and let's win another stinkin' Cup.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

To me, this appears sorta/kinda like a "reverse Tebow" phenomenon. 

Tebow has some serious deficiencies as an NFL QB, but his religious views (at times) take over the news cycle and overshadow those shortcomings.

Thomas is an outstanding goaltender, but his political views are currently front and center in the news cycle, overshadowing his excellence as a goalie. 

In Tebow's case, since he's not that good, it seems to work to his advantage.  In Thomas' case, since he's one of the best in the league, it works to his disadvantage.

Because religious/political opinions generally are polarizing issues, this definitely works against TT. Generally speaking, I would say that all Bruins fans, prior to the WH incident, and perhaps ignorant of his political views, would be huge Thomas fans.  Maybe now some of them, because their own beliefs may be on the other side, are, for lack of a better term, "less huge Thomas fans".  Their opinion of Thomas the individual has tempered their enthusiasm for Thomas the goalie.

Perhaps this isn't fair to Thomas, because as he stated about twenty times in his press scrum yesterday, "this is my job, the other is personal" (I'm paraphrasing).  However, he also should have known that his FB page is also public (he obviously doesn't have the privacy settings very high), and he's the  one who put it out there, so he should expect the questions, the backlash and the controversy.

If he doesn't like it, frankly, he should just stop posting things publicly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

free speech IS the debate, everything else is driven by personal feelings/beliefs, and is completely irrelevant.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

The fact that this discussion is still going on really says only one thing. This is stirring controversy because you have the outlet in this paper to express yourselves and engage in debates and arguments with people you feel comfortable with on some level. The comraderie you feel is brought about because of your common love of a team and it's individual players. Honestly, it's not being discussed in other papers (that I've seen, not counting sports outlets) nor is anyone else really all that interested. I'll bet the majority of the country doesn't even know about it. It's a big deal to you because it's in your backyard and if it happened in another city with fans as passionate as all of you, I would expect the same outrage. The first go round, everyone argued free speech  when he refused to attend the White House function. That wasn't free speech but freedom of choice. Now it is about free speech - and that we all agree is a fundamental right in this country and people are going to spark criticism for speaking out. The posts have been both insightful and inciting but they all contain the same passion and this has become nothing more than a loud discussion over beer in a bar. Fun to be a part of, but time to go home. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

vcec, you are quickly becoming one of my favourite contributors here. greeat post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]free speech IS the debate, everything else is driven by personal feelings/beliefs, and is completely irrelevant.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

It would be a debate if someone was arguing that Thomas doesn't have the right to free speech.  Has anyone argued that?

I think we're all agreed on Thomas' rights, which is why I said nothing about that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

A line from the first Spiderman movie comes to mind: "With great power comes great responsibility".  Not saying that Thomas has "great power" as an orator, but people obviously listen when he speaks (or posts). 

I believe Free Speech comes with certain responsibilities -- you can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, for example, and claim free speech.  Making the occasional controversial posting in a public setting, and then stating that you're not going to answer questions about it, is flat out ducking that responsibility.  Thomas claims he's "taking the Fifth", which means that he has the right not make self-incriminating statements.  What would he be saying to the media that would put him in that situation?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

TT is all about TT. Big EGO.

I personally like when the Glen Beck groupies come out of the closet. It's nice to be able to identify themLaughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : steve, when you have a poem that begins with "In Germany..." and then follows with the phrase "then they came for the Jews" you can't possibly tell me that it has " absolutely no correlation to Hitler, the Halocaust (sic), or Nazism" That's just absurd.  What do you think of when you hear 'Germany' and the rounding up of Jewish people??  Octoberfest at the synagogue? That's what I mean by 'naive', and I am sorry to sound insulting (not my intention).  Of course that poem makes you think of the Holocaust.  How could it not?  What other event could that passage possibly be referencing?  It is not an irresponsible interpretation.  Be serious here -- read the words and tell me what it makes you think of. Anyhow, I appreciate all of the reasonable opinions on this and am only commenting because I felt the need to explain mine, in response to some pretty aggressive questioning.  Glad we can all practice our free speach, but let's talk Bruins.

Lets review.  In pointing out the naivete of kelvana33, and soxfan, you felt compelled to argue the spirit of the 'Poem".  It was correctly pointed out that its essence was  'if there are social injustices out there, one should have the courage to speak up when it affects others, not just when it affects you".....not a really deep complicated message.
    Your responses?

"comparing every situation to hitler and the Nazi's".

""providing birth control is now being compared to rounding up Jews to murder them....."

"Obama is being compared to Hitler"

"careless comparisons to the genocide of 6 million people"

Those are quotes from you, and they're a lot more aggressive than anything I've said back.  If you think those, accurately describe the spirit of the message on TT's face book page..................you're wrong.  That's not opinion, that's fact. 
    That message could have been written by a hundred different people, from a hundred different cultures and the message would be the same.
    It's clearly about "speaking up".  What's the message in the "boy who cried wolf" Is it about the combined actions of a kid, and the associated consequences, or is it to be interpreted as an overall generalization of the rural ecosystem?

That's my debate with you.  We're pretty much in agreement with each other on most aspects of this frivolity.  You think it's a distraction, I don't think the players give a sh-t.  We're both entitled to that opinion, but you're over-reacting by introducing this hot button theory that in some way the Nazi/Halocaust brand is being furthered.  That is clearly..clearly, not the intent.
    You've always been one of the most logical, balanced posters on here.  Was hoping you could see the merits of a differing perspective....maybe change your mind.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? :   Lets review.  In pointing out the naivete of kelvana33, and soxfan, you felt compelled to argue the spirit of the 'Poem".  It was correctly pointed out that its essence was  'if there are social injustices out there, one should have the courage to speak up when it affects others, not just when it affects you".....not a really deep complicated message. Your responses? "comparing every situation to hitler and the Nazi's". ""providing birth control is now being compared to rounding up Jews to murder them....." "Obama is being compared to Hitler" "careless comparisons to the genocide of 6 million people" Those are quotes from you, and they're a lot more aggressive than anything I've said back.  If you think those, accurately describe the spirit of the message on TT's face book page..................you're wrong.  That's not opinion, that's fact.  That message could have been written by a hundred different people, from a hundred different cultures and the message would be the same. It's clearly about "speaking up".  What's the message in the "boy who cried wolf" Is it about the combined actions of a kid, and the associated consequences, or is it to be interpreted as an overall generalization of the rural ecosystem?   That's my debate with you.  We're pretty much in agreement with each other on most aspects of this frivolity.  You think it's a distraction, I don't think the players give a sh-t.  We're both entitled to that opinion, but you're over-reacting by introducing this hot button theory that in some way the Nazi/Halocaust brand is being furthered.  That is clearly..clearly, not the intent. You've always been one of the most logical, balanced posters on here.  Was hoping you could see the merits of a differing perspective....maybe change your mind.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

steve, this is dumb and its a hockey forum.  I have gone on long enough trying to explain it and I'm sorry you can't see my perspective.  Message me on the side if this must go on.  Nobody else cares about this, for good reason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I thought Thomas Was Done Talking??? : steve, this is dumb and its a hockey forum.  I have gone on long enough trying to explain it and I'm sorry you can't see my perspective.  Message me on the side if this must go on.  Nobody else cares about this, for good reason.

Yeah, it's a hockey forum, that went political.  From there, you try to steer it to Genocide and Nazism.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]A line from the first Spiderman movie comes to mind: "With great power comes great responsibility".  Not saying that Thomas has "great power" as an orator, but people obviously listen when he speaks (or posts).  I believe Free Speech comes with certain responsibilities -- you can't yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, for example, and claim free speech.  Making the occasional controversial posting in a public setting, and then stating that you're not going to answer questions about it, is flat out ducking that responsibility.  Thomas claims he's "taking the Fifth", which means that he has the right not make self-incriminating statements.  What would he be saying to the media that would put him in that situation?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

The ONLY reason you keep the argument going is to do EXACTLY what the media wants. Create a distraction so your pansy team has a better chance to win! You only come in here to cause debates & ruffle feathers. You have almost nothing knowledgeable to say about the game of hockey. All you are is hot-air that come here to create issues & talk about how badly things are in Boston instead of worrying about your poor excuse of a hockey team. You're nothing but a poisonous snake that slithers around to benefit yourself.