Ian Laperriere

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Ian Laperriere

Today I heard one of the most enlightening conversation from a "hockey player", Ian Laperriere,  still is a Flyer but not playing.
    I posted the link below and maybe , if you understand french,  you could listen to the interview, Good stuff and have the highest respect for this guy.
    He made the listeners understand that's he was a Habs fan growing up and will always be one at heart.
    He's the expert on the ice, he said there's no way Chara is thinking " I think there's a turnbuckle, I'm going to hit him into it"  the game is too fast. 
    He also went to say at most in that game it was an interference call, even if they gave Chara 1-3-4 games Montreal would not have been happy and all that happened would have still happened.

It's not the first time he puts the Montreal media and their fan base in their places.
    The last time was back in February in that famous fight filled game. He told everyone that Boychuk was not a fighter and if Spacek wanted to fight it's fair game. Also said Campbell fight was fair and he didn't purposely remove his elbow pad to hit the guy.

http://www.ckac.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Ian Laperriere

BSL,

Ian Laparierre was one of my favorite non-bruins players.  He may be one of the games most respected players during his playing time. 
    I think the majority of the players would say the same thing.  Its people that have never played the game or pay attention to it that are making this what it is.  The media and corporations like Air Canada who are trying to get free air time and play the hero.  I loved the backhanded compliment Bettman gave them.  People may not like Bettman but he is a smart dude and I wouldnt wanna get into an argument with him.  
    The show 24 Hrs-30 Minutes was on yesterday and the entire show was dedicated to this.  It had clips of what some players were saying(no link-but might be on line somewhere). 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Ian Laperriere:
    BSL, Ian Laparierrewas one of my favorite non-bruins players.  He may be one of the games most respected players during his playing time.  I think the majority of the players would say the same thing.  Its people that have never played the game or pay attention to it that are making this what it is.  The media and corporations like Air Canada who are trying to get free air time and play the hero.  I loved the backhanded compliment Bettman gave them.  People may not like Bettman but he is a smart dude and I wouldnt wanna get into an argument with him.   The show 24 Hrs-30 Minutes was on yesterday and the entire show was dedicated to this.  It had clips of what some players were saying(no link-but might be on line somewhere). 
    Posted by shuperman

This guy has sacrficed his body (including stopping puck with his face0 for the cause of his team.
    How can you not like or respect a player like this. No matter what team he's played for.
    They asked him if he were a Habon the the 24th in Boston would he challenge Chara.  He laughed and said ,  are you crazy ! Why would I want to get punched in the face for something he did nothing wrong ???
    He added that the Habs have nobody to do this , why even talk about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's another of those themes that's developed through this mess - "there should have been at least a one or two game suspension...."  Laperriere's right.  There's almost no difference between "the league failed by not suspending Chara" and "a one game suspension is a joke".  Part of the problem is that if you suspend Chara, you're effectively blaming him for the result and no way is one game reasonable given the resulting injury.  If you judge Chara at fault, you'd have to give him a Gillies-like number of games for a vicious intent to injure.  So one game would be a joke.  You'd still have the whole contingent who are saying he should be suspended for the year up in arms, you'd still have Air Canada saying the NHL needs to police itself better, you'd still have every opportunistic hack and disgruntled ex Bruin jumping on a soap box to declare their moral rectitude, and you'd still have opportunistic teams seeing this as a chance to hurt the Bruins in the standings.  The saddest part of all of that being how it reflects the attitude that Pacioretty's misfortune is his team's competitive/political opportunity.

It might not be true to say that the league has never considered the severity of an injury when assessing discipline, but I can't think of a time when it was the primary or even secondary factor.  It becomes a factor when they've crossed the first two hurdles: do the player's actions warrant discipline based on the collectively bargained rules.  If yes, the next question is whether or not the action could be construed as an intent to injure including being something outside the usual course of play - so chasing a guy around looking to hit him, cheap shot after the play, McSorley chasing Brashear and swinging his stick trying to get his attention.  Only after that level of scrutiny does the severity of the injury come into play.

One more thing and then I have to leave this alone for my own sanity.  Marchand's penalty resulted from a play by Hamrlik that could have resulted in a similarly severe injury for Marchand.  He poked Marchand's skate out from under him.  It even looks like that's what he intended to do, though it's not hard to argue he wanted to get the puck and missed.  Marchand's skating full bore toward the net and end boards, and is not only taken down but loses body control, typical of this kind of trip, to the point where it's entirely possible he goes hard into the post or the end boards.  Say he had had a Kurtis Foster-like fall or the breakaway post hadn't broken away and Marchand had hit the back of his head on a rock solid bar.  Would the same people arguing that the severity of the injury should mean a suspension suggest that Hamrlik should get ten games?  It's a routine trip on a breakway, but he has to be aware that he's beaten and out of the play and only able to influence the play with a technically illegal action.  All of the energy that would lead to Marchand's injury would come from Brad's skating, and the bad luck of how he hit the wall.

Point is that fairly banal hockey plays can lead to catastrophic injuries all over the ice.  A hard and fast rule connecting injury to suspension would end up being even more random and haphazard than the rules they have now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Ian Laperriere:
    Today I heard one of the most enlightening conversation from a "hockey player", Ian Laperriere,  still is a Flyer but not playing. I posted the link below and maybe , if you understand french,  you could listen to the interview, Good stuff and have the highest respect for this guy. He made the listeners understand that's he was a Habs fan growing up and will always be one at heart. He's the expert on the ice, he said there's no way Chara is thinking " I think there's a turnbuckle, I'm going to hit him into it"  the game is too fast.  He also went to say at most in that game it was an interference call, even if they gave Chara 1-3-4 games Montreal would not have been happy and all that happened would have still happened. It's not the first time he puts the Montreal media and their fan base in their places. The last time was back in February in that famous fight filled game. He told everyone that Boychuk was not a fighter and if Spacek wanted to fight it's fair game. Also said Campbell fight was fair and he didn't purposely remove his elbow pad to hit the guy. http://www.ckac.com/
    Posted by BsLegion

Here's the translation of what was said by the player you respect :

He starts the interview saying : "We're talking about it in Philly, but not in the same way as in Montreal.  I agree with what is going on in Montreal, but here, there is no protests.  We don't bring anyone to court.  We look at the events from the outside.  In Montreal, there's more emotions.  We love our Habs, so emotions are involved, and rightly so... Listen, it's hard to see a young player like Pacioretty go down like he did.  But here, they see it more like an accident, and not an intent to hurt another player."

"I don't think Chara knew the stanchion was coming.  But when he says he didn't know who it was, he's lying.  He's a lyar.  We all know who's on the ice, especially when you have a history with the player, you know he's on the ice.  I couldn't believe he said that.  I think he wanted to shove him over the bench and the post was there.  And if he knew the stanchion was coming, he's a lot more vicious than I thought he was."

"Looking at it from the outside, he didn't deserve a suspension, considering the actual rules.  There was only interference.  And whatever the suspension some people would have been mad anyways."

"Our we surprised (the players) ?  I've been saying this for years, and for years, ppl have told me to shut up, 'cause we're making millions.  I tell ppl we're pieces of meat.  A lot of owners see us as replacable pieces.  It's a business, I understand that.  And when you put your skates on, you have to understand that there are chances that you get hurt.  Geoff Molson's letter shows he doesn't think like that.  But I know there's a lot of owners who don't care if there players get hurt, 'cause they'll replace them with other players."

"There's no immediate solutions.  You got Chara, 6 foot 9... there'll be some head shots.  You can't tell them not to hit. But there are checks from behind, elbowing... Komisarek on Carcillo yesterday... Kubina... etc.  But Chara, it's something else."

"What do you want players to do ?  Think about it.  They don't care about us.  We can't go in there and tell them what to do.  They'll tell us to stay home...  It's impossible.  We're a product.  We're not owners.  We're supposed to have a partnership with the owners... that's a real joke... there's no partnership whatsoever between players and owners."

"Geoff Molson's letter is great, but next week, he'll have to talk before the 29 other owners and say it's enough.  Give them 20 games supensions and they'll think twice before doing it, I tell you.  But as players, we can't do anything..."

"I didn't say it wasn't an accident in Montreal.  I didn't say it didn't deserve a suspension.  I'm saying whatever the suspension, ppl wouldn't have been satisfied.  I don't want to say it was a good thing, but the fact that it happened to a Habs player might lead to a change in the NHL."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

I think the whole interview gives you a better idea of what Laperierre was saying, than the one or two sentences you extracted from it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

One more thing and then I have to leave this alone for my own sanity.  Marchand's penalty resulted from a play by Hamrlik that could have resulted in a similarly severe injury for Marchand.  He poked Marchand's skate out from under him.  It even looks like that's what he intended to do, though it's not hard to argue he wanted to get the puck and missed.  Marchand's skating full bore toward the net and end boards, and is not only taken down but loses body control, typical of this kind of trip, to the point where it's entirely possible he goes hard into the post or the end boards.  Say he had had a Kurtis Foster-like fall or the breakaway post hadn't broken away and Marchand had hit the back of his head on a rock solid bar.  Would the same people arguing that the severity of the injury should mean a suspension suggest that Hamrlik should get ten games?  It's a routine trip on a breakway, but he has to be aware that he's beaten and out of the play and only able to influence the play with a technically illegal action.  All of the energy that would lead to Marchand's injury would come from Brad's skating, and the bad luck of how he hit the wall. Point is that fairly banal hockey plays can lead to catastrophic injuries all over the ice.  A hard and fast rule connecting injury to suspension would end up being even more random and haphazard than the rules they have now.
    Posted by Bookboy007

That's what I said on another post. Do you suspend a guy (for life as the Hab fans wanted on Chara) for a routine trip, a hook or an interference that with some bad luck the player injures part of his body ? 
    Good points mate !
    The real reasons the fans are upset are:

1-It's a Bruin that was involved
    2-One of there own children was hurt
    3-They hate Chara no matter what he does

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I have alot more respect for this guy than i do dumb joe. 99.p percent of the nhl players would back him on that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Ian Laperriere : That's what I said on another post. Do you suspend a guy (for life as the Hab fans wanted on Chara) for a routine trip, a hook or an interference that with some bad luck the player injures part of his body ? 
    Posted by BsLegion

Very good points BB and Legion.  It makes me think of the Hossa-Berard incident, where Hossa follows through high on a shot and practically carves out Berard's eye.  A double minor for high-sticking right?  Obiously no intent there, just very unfortunate.

But if you are going to tie punishments to the injuries, and Berard's career was essentially ruined by it, do you kick Hossa out of the league?  I mean, you're supposed to control your stick and he clearly broke the rules and injured another player in doing so...

As stated above, sometimes minor penalties cause major injuries, largely due to circumstances beyond either players control (speed, stanchions, sticks, skates, etc.)  To just blindly tie suspensions to injuries on the ice makes no sense at all.

Sections
Shortcuts