Ice Conditions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Ice Conditions

The ice conditions at some of these "hockey" facilities is down right brutal.  As someone who likes to see good hockey plays made, watching some of these NHL games is borderline torture.  The ice at the ACC last night was the worst I've seen.  With the Leafs so crappy you almost think they are purposely creating poor ice to bring down the level of the opposition the Leafs face each night. 

Last time I checked, the ACC was not located in a tropic.  It was below freezing last night and the ice looked like it was an outdoor game being played under sunny skies in June.  Same with the WJC at HSBC.  At least there they can argue that it is getting hacked up due to so many games being played in such a short period but some of these other NHL cities IMO have no such excuse. 

The ice at the old garden (no AC) in May with the temp's in the 70's-80's was better than what we are seeing today.  I don't get it.  The ice at MSG in the 70's is better than today's ice at the ACC hands down.  I'm tired of hearing the multi purpose excuse as well.  NHL arenas have been multi purpose for years now and despite technological advances, the ice actually looks worse than it did decades ago.  I remember when the ACC first opened they had issues with poor ice conditions.  It was a new facility and I assumed they were just working out the bugs.  Ummm, the ACC was new in 1999.  12 years later and the same crap ice (maybe even worse) exists.  Is MLSE really trying to make good ice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Re: Ice Conditions

i'll go with your theory. the leafs are so crappy, they purposely create bad ice to bring down the level of the opposition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Pretty sad statement about the Garden ice when there was rain at the Winter Classic and the ice there was still better than we see at the Garden most of the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

The most entertaining game I have watched in several years (from a pure hockey perspective) was the game we played @ Edmonton a couple years back. If I recall, we only wound up winning 1-0 but the game was so fast with back and forth play and crisp passes.

Maybe I'm wrong but with the league constantly trying to improve the quality of the game for spectators, ice conditions may be a good place to start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Ice Conditions:
    [QUOTE]The most entertaining game I have watched in several years (from a pure hockey perspective) was the game we played @ Edmonton a couple years back. If I recall, we only wound up winning 1-0 but the game was so fast with back and forth play and crisp passes. Maybe I'm wrong but with the league constantly trying to improve the quality of the game for spectators, ice conditions may be a good place to start.
    Posted by Wingnut11[/QUOTE]
    Ice conditions in Edmonton have always been the best in the league. With the talent they are amassing , The Oilers are going to be a very entertaining team to watch, in their own Barn, credit goes to the ice makers there for sure!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well the guy who did the ice then for the Oilers is now in charge of the ice for the whole NHL - this is the same guy who did the ice for the Olympics in Salt Lake, Turin, and Vancouver,and not just hockey, but figure skating and curling as well, so maybe we'll see improvements. And good ice certainly isn't about the environment - the Sharks and Canucks have two of the best ice surfaces in the league, and you can't have an outdoor rink in either city.

Sections
Shortcuts