IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against?

Weird but true stat at 34 shots against per game...and guess which teams are at the top of the shots against category?  TB (1); Pit (3); TOR (4); SJ (5); WAS (6); LAK (7).  I thought these were offensive teams??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against?

Brought the same subject up a few weeks ago in a thread.  I agree something is amiss.  Pentrating CJs system is obviously easy.  Shot from the point are to be either blocked or saved with rebounds quickly cleared.  Increased shots then occur.  The shocking aspect of the shots is on offense as well.  Look over the season at the SF. The Bs are shooting but the accuracy is poor.  Maybe improved pp will help.  Savard needs to find his game soon.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'd actually like to see a scoring chances stat rather then just shots. Sometimes shot totals can be deceiving. Anyone have a site that shows this ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against?:
    [QUOTE]Brought the same subject up a few weeks ago in a thread.  I agree something is amiss.  Pentrating CJs system is obviously easy.  Shot from the point are to be either blocked or saved with rebounds quickly cleared.  Increased shots then occur.  The shocking aspect of the shots is on offense as well.  Look over the season at the SF. The Bs are shooting but the accuracy is poor.  Maybe improved pp will help.  Savard needs to find his game soon.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Its the offensive time of possesion and perimeter play. How often do the B's ge the puck to center ice dump it in, fail on the forecheck and immediately cough up the puck?

Then the other team sets up in the O-zone as the B's give up the outside and stack the middle. The team gets a few shots from the perimeter and maybe a rebound or two. Then repeat, the bruins are bad at forecheck/OTP.

Good offensive is your best defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

If you guys watch a bruins game, youll notice all 5 boston bruins crash the front of the net on a shot. This eliminates secondary scoring chances. however, when wings come low, or centers go too high, more guys get open and more shots come to the net. but again, more guys infront cleaning up the mess.

This is why thomas has a job in the nhl. He is relied upon to only make the initial shot. You see him flopping around all over the place becuase he over commits to the first shot, knowing the bruins collapsing to the slot is gonna save his butt. And, recently, hes come to rely on saving their butt.

If you had thomas playing for the caps, where there is no defense implemented, the first shot comes, thomas is flopping, and semin and ov are out at center ice looking for a break out pass, and the secondary scoring opportunities destroy thomas' save percentage.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against?:
    [QUOTE]I'd actually like to see a scoring chances stat rather then just shots. Sometimes shot totals can be deceiving. Anyone have a site that shows this ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

True statement Chowda, but this is exactly why the Bruins play "catch-up". Teams are getting shots through regardless of where they are coming from. It's all about "shots on net" rather than the conservative "dump and chase". It's logical, the more shots towards the net, the better the chances of scoring. You don't have to dangle your way through everyone to score all the time, a simple tip-in or rebound is just as affective.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

[QUOTE]If you guys watch a bruins game, youll notice all 5 boston bruins crash the front of the net on a shot. This eliminates secondary scoring chances. however, when wings come low, or centers go too high, more guys get open and more shots come to the net. but again, more guys infront cleaning up the mess. This is why thomas has a job in the nhl. He is relied upon to only make the initial shot. You see him flopping around all over the place becuase he over commits to the first shot, knowing the bruins collapsing to the slot is gonna save his butt. And, recently, hes come to rely on saving their butt. If you had thomas playing for the caps, where there is no defense implemented, the first shot comes, thomas is flopping, and semin and ov are out at center ice looking for a break out pass, and the secondary scoring opportunities destroy thomas' save percentage.
    Posted by TheShepherd[/QUOTE]

Don't know what game your watching. The Bruins (since Julien) have played a conservative 2-1-2, two for-checkers a-top of the circles and one forward near the blueline in the neutral zone. I have never witness a 5-man rush, that's an offensive scheme, one, which clearly they don't have. You may be confusing that with their "pinch" at the blueline by defensemen, in which only Boychuck and the recently traded Hunwick used to do.

This team is all about "dump-and-chase" with minimal pressure in the attacking zone. No one on this team is going to reach their true offensive potential under Claude. His defensive mindset is flawed, and it slows down the development of players. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Gain possession down low, look for passing lanes, cycle, Horton's covered.., pinch, backcheck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Im talking about shots against. in the defensive zone coverage. what are we talking about here?

How did anything i type in that last post come remotely close to anything abou the bruins offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Shep, your perspective is easily misunderstood. "crash" = attack, not defense. You are right that Julien's defensive system is built around a tight box plus one player at the head. The speedier opponents are streaking down the sides unimpeded and firing shots, plus looking for rebounds, from timmy, or off of the massed defensemen, where added shots bounce by the goalie. Montreal scored 2 goals off of Bruins players deflected past Timmy. In Buffalo all three goals came from below the left circle when rebounds gave the shooter an open net. Versteeg's goal came from the same spot. All opposing teams are now shooting first and jamming for rebounds with the bruins flat-footed and unable to move out quickly. This "system" no longer works. Cam sees it, why isn't some change being implemented into the game???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

Easily misunderstood? The topic is shots against. not dump and chase. I apologize for the single word "crash", but how it throws off the entire post and sends another post into a offensive forcheck conversation is beyond me.

Im not gonna argue the last two games and the recent slump, but how do you defend thomas' GAA and shut outs this season?....what?.. Hip surgery?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

The idea that bruins system has failed is borderline crazy...  5 on 5, gaa, and PK are among the best in the league.

*EDIT...

The defensive* system. Just incase anyone mistook that for the offense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Easily misunderstood? The topic is shots against. not dump and chase. I apologize for the single word "crash", but how it throws off the entire post and sends another post into a offensive forcheck conversation is beyond me. Im not gonna argue the last two games and the recent slump, but how do you defend thomas' GAA and shut outs this season?....what?.. Hip surgery?

Shepherd , I feel your pain. Lately I've been posting and whether it's been my words or others not understanding, the intent of what I'm trying to say has not come across to others.

In this case I don't see how anyone can mix up shots against for offense. Good post as I didn't realize that the Bruins were allowing as many shots against as they were. The answer ? My opinion is they are spending a lot more time now in their own end then in the last couple of years. I may be wrong on this one but that's what I see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

My critism about CJ's system is not so much in the defensive zone (I agree the Bruins get outshot most games)...it's the way his system lacks "puck control".  You watch how the more offensive teams control puck possession.  Our team just doesn't do this...Too much run and dump..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against? : Shepherd , I feel your pain. Lately I've been posting and whether it's been my words or others not understanding, the intent of what I'm trying to say has not come across to others. In this case I don't see how anyone can mix up shots against for offense. Good post as I didn't realize that the Bruins were allowing as many shots against as they were. The answer ? My opinion is they are spending a lot more time now in their own end then in the last couple of years. I may be wrong on this one but that's what I see.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Thats funny... i was reading your post as about the same time you were probably going thru mine.l  I was pretty much typing the same thing about being mis-read.

The bruins spend way to much time in their defensive zone... and the other thing, i was talking about this in another thread... When was the last time the bruins outnumbered a team in the odd man rush department. or even had a breakaway.  Too many guys not thinking about goals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's the same with the Habs and there similar style. It's as if the team wants them to shoot from the perimeter. This is why Gill and Sidenberg as so valuable in their defensive scheme of things.
    It'll tally up shots against and TT has  a great save percentage as does Price.  

Shep,  you said it all here:

If you guys watch a bruins game, youll notice all 5 boston bruins crash the front of the net on a shot. This eliminates secondary scoring chances

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against? : Thats funny... i was reading your post as about the same time you were probably going thru mine.l  I was pretty much typing the same thing about being mis-read. The bruins spend way to much time in their defensive zone... and the other thing, i was talking about this in another thread... When was the last time the bruins outnumbered a team in the odd man rush department. or even had a breakaway.  Too many guys not thinking about goals.

Agree completely......I think too many Bruin players, under CJ's system, think about not gettting out of position first...before taking a risk and jumping up in the play.  Odd man rush?? Is this term even in CJ's vocabulary?  Another thing....Chara should be much more involved in the attack...He hangs back way too much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

In Response to IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against?:
    [QUOTE]Weird but true stat at 34 shots against per game...and guess which teams are at the top of the shots against category?  TB (1); Pit (3); TOR (4); SJ (5); WAS (6); LAK (7).  I thought these were offensive teams??
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Here's my theory why this is:

for TB/PIT/SJ/WAS/LAK

puck control + offensive pressure =  less SA

Also..if you check the stats...these same teams are amongst the highest in the NHL for SF  as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Easily misunderstood? The topic is shots against. not dump and chase. I apologize for the single word "crash", but how it throws off the entire post and sends another post into a offensive forcheck conversation is beyond me. Im not gonna argue the last two games and the recent slump, but how do you defend thomas' GAA and shut outs this season?....what?.. Hip surgery?

Crash the net is a term used to describe offense.  Collapse is the term you were looking for in that post.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheShepherd. Show TheShepherd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF CJ's style is defense first, why are B's 26th in shots against? : Crash the net is a term used to describe offense.  Collapse is the term you were looking for in that post.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You are correct, sir. That is probably what i had in my mind as well.  You got the idea, i assume.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts