If I were GM, I would...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If I were GM, I would...

be horrible.  Yes I would.  Despite my brilliance in selecting draft picks without even watching them play, I would be just plain awful. 

And given what we've seen with PC, he's been brilliant in keeping his head when many others lost theirs.

I think most posters on here realize they would be terrible GM's, or at best realize the job ain't easy.  And I *wish* posters would realize that making a trade isn't as simple as picking up the phone and giving somebody a call and working things out and they're done in 10 minutes.  From what I've read they're on the phone with each other all the time and there are deals that take months.

I think if you believe you'd be a good GM, you should take a reality check.  Right Stanley?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: If I were GM, I would...

I suggested trading Thomas in 2010.

I applauded the Zach Hamill pick.

I applauded the Matt Lashoff pick.

I wanted Max Sauve to be given an NHL contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I wanted Kessel traded for 2 firsts and a second

I anticipated Thomas taking a leave of absence

I saw Krug as a freshman, in high school, and said sign him once he goes undrafted.

And I thought you were smart Fletch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I wanted Kessel traded for 2 firsts and a second

I anticipated Thomas taking a leave of absence

I saw Krug as a freshman, in high school, and said sign him once he goes undrafted.

And I thought you were smart Fletch.

Well, there's your big mistake.  So much for your judgement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Most everyone was for that Thomas trade in 2010, myself included. Rumors were that PC tried to shop him to other teams during that summer but could not find any reasonable offers, as teams were averse to his 35+ contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

Most everyone was for that Thomas trade in 2010, myself included. Rumors were that PC tried to shop him to other teams during that summer but could not find any reasonable offers, as teams were averse to his 35+ contract.

History proved they were right to be wary. TT walked away after already cashing in the big money, early years of his contract. It bugs me that I can't find the quote again but I once provided one in which Thomas said that one thing the Bruins could count on is that he would show up and give 100% for the length of his contract. His word is as meaningless as Stanley's. I knew I couldn't believe it unless TT posted it on Facebook. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i know a little bit about this. A man I know very well worked very closely with Zito. The Bruins tried desperately to trade Thomas. It wasn't that they couldn't get a reasonable offer, they could barely get any offers, and it wasn't because of the contract, it was because of his character. I know most posters will dismiss this as a typical "I have a source" post, but I believe it to be true. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Funny thing is, I was never much of a Thomas doubter.  I liked him and I thought he had something left too.  I have just always been a big believer in Rask.  So, at the time, I thought it would be shrewd to move Thomas, free up more cash and turn the keys over to Rask.  While watching the 2011 playoffs, I regretted that sentiment, greatly.

I was not aware that "character issues" surfaced with Thomas until after the Cup season.  I mean, a lot of people said he was kind of a weirdo, but that's par for the course with a goalie, right? ;).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

be horrible.  Yes I would.  Despite my brilliance in selecting draft picks without even watching them play, I would be just plain awful. 

And given what we've seen with PC, he's been brilliant in keeping his head when many others lost theirs.

I think most posters on here realize they would be terrible GM's, or at best realize the job ain't easy.  And I *wish* posters would realize that making a trade isn't as simple as picking up the phone and giving somebody a call and working things out and they're done in 10 minutes.  From what I've read they're on the phone with each other all the time and there are deals that take months.

I think if you believe you'd be a good GM, you should take a reality check.  Right Stanley?

Who knows ?

You might be a better GM then you are a poster...............and no doubt you'd be better at either of those two then finding the future Kirill Kabanovs of the hockey world.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

I stayed at a Holiday Inn once!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I once traded Wideman and Ryder 17 times in one day here on BDC during the Bruins 10 game losing streak in 2010.

I don't think you can do that in the NHL...so Fail.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Funny thing is, I was never much of a Thomas doubter.  I liked him and I thought he had something left too.  I have just always been a big believer in Rask.  So, at the time, I thought it would be shrewd to move Thomas, free up more cash and turn the keys over to Rask.  While watching the 2011 playoffs, I regretted that sentiment, greatly.

I was not aware that "character issues" surfaced with Thomas until after the Cup season.  I mean, a lot of people said he was kind of a weirdo, but that's par for the course with a goalie, right? ;).

Unless you're a Pusyashed one like Kel,you'd be correct lol. I always thought that Thomas was  "off" a little bit more than most, but it didn't show up a whole lot. I don't know what his deal is, but I do still think there's more to his story about handcuffing his team the way he did. Not just because he's actually that selfish. I think what he did was wrong, but I think there's more to it than what we're informed from his fb page & allegations. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

it wasn't that he was weird. it was that everyone on the team, and in the front office hated him off the ice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I once traded Wideman and Ryder 17 times in one day here on BDC during the Bruins 10 game losing streak in 2010.

I don't think you can do that in the NHL...so Fail.

SHADUP SANDOG U LIAR; IT WAS 18! Tongue Out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Not to brag or anything, but I am doing quite well as a GM In NHL 2013 on difficult setting and the trades are tougher to pull off this year! How much different could it be in real life?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Unless you're a Pusyashed one like Kel,you'd be correct lol. I always thought that Thomas was  "off" a little bit more than most, but it didn't show up a whole lot. I don't know what his deal is, but I do still think there's more to his story about handcuffing his team the way he did. Not just because he's actually that selfish. I think what he did was wrong, but I think there's more to it than what we're informed from his fb page & allegations. 

Have you been following me?

I had no idea he was like that. When he signed his extension i remember thinking how awesome it was and how it could not have happened to a better guy. Hard working, never gave up etc..I also thought they should have done a movie about him. How his parents hawked their wedding rings so he could attend a goalie camp, moving his family from one country to another.

I knew he was stubborn, and I thought that played into his greatness. No idea about the other stuff, which I guess was common knowledge through the organization.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

TT wouldn't lift his NMC to go to Philly for Jeff Carter is what I heard. He said he wanted another yr in Boston to redeem himself.

http://media.nesn.com/2011/06/a-year-after-almost-being-traded-for-tim-thomas-jeff-carter-lands-in-columbus/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Have you been following me?

I had no idea he was like that. When he signed his extension i remember thinking how awesome it was and how it could not have happened to a better guy. Hard working, never gave up etc..I also thought they should have done a movie about him. How his parents hawked their wedding rings so he could attend a goalie camp, moving his family from one country to another.

I knew he was stubborn, and I thought that played into his greatness. No idea about the other stuff, which I guess was common knowledge through the organization.

You wish! LOL Actually Kel, I learned about his "Offness" in his 1st stint in Boston in 2002-03. I don't remember what he said, but in one of his interviews after 1 of his 4 games he said something that the reporters even went...."huh" & he just laughed & said "over your head?" But even back then I loved how he battled every puck & in his 1st start against the Oilers in his 4-3 win he was laughing after every save! He was loving it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

it wasn't that he was weird. it was that everyone on the team, and in the front office hated him off the ice.

How did you get from a "character" problem, to "everyone on the team and front office hates him"?

Wouldn't that be very, very difficult to hide in the (social)media?

After he was traded, I didn't see or read one player/management person say anything like,

"I didn't like his character and I am glad he's gone." and there has been plenty of opportunity to do so.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

TT wouldn't lift his NMC to go to Philly for Jeff Carter is what I heard. He said he wanted another yr in Boston to redeem himself.

http://media.nesn.com/2011/06/a-year-after-almost-being-traded-for-tim-thomas-jeff-carter-lands-in-columbus/

To me, this looks like a (good)character move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

If I were GM, I'd be fired !!!   Unless !  I were the GM of the Vanouver Canuckleheads. There you can screw up any trades you want. Sign stupid contracts. Fire your coaches when you don't win. And still keep your job. Vancouver must be the City of Oz ! Both don't deal with reality.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I wanted Horton out of here so bad in December 2010.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I always have and always will like TT. I dont care what he did off the ice. He competed hard and brought a cup to Boston. Of course I dont know the reasons about him taking a year off, but if he was gonna get traded and knew he was gonna get traded, when he didnt want to get traded, then I can see why he did what he did. Do I agree with it....NO. He most likely wanted to finish his career in Boston and saw that it wasnt going to happen. It would have been nice, had he just taken and trade, then retired, or just retired. But there are two sides to the story and it seems TT has taken the heat for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I worked in the front office for the P-Bruins while TT was there.  He was not hated by anyone that I knew.  I had arguments with co-workers about who was the better goalie between he and Andrew Raycroft, but never heard any bad things about him.  BTW, I was the only one that thought Thomas was the better goalie and was ridiculed the following season when Razor won the ROY.   Needless to say, I had the last laugh.  Not sure if he still has the disgusting habit, but he, myself, and a co-worker used to order cases of Snus chewing tobacco from Sweden that he turned us on to from his days playing in europe.  I thankfully kicked the habit a number of years ago.  Just my 2 cents regarding Thomas being hated.