If Lucic Wanted To, He could have Destroyed Miller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRRocker. Show BRRocker's posts

If Lucic Wanted To, He could have Destroyed Miller

This whole scenario is what todays hockey has become. Like Lucic stated, one minute Miller is in the net, he looks up and he is out going for the puck, what do you think is going to happen? Lucic could have knocked Millers head right off if he wanted to, he gave Miller a Lucic Love Tap and the baby is still whining. I tip my hat to Shanahan, he being an ex  power forward and being familiar with the situation Lucic was in understands the fundamentals and the harsh realitity in which this violent game is played. One move with your head down can turn into a major injury, so I say to Miller, if you are going to leave your net keep your head up or someone on the Bruins might knock it off next time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: If Lucic Wanted To, He could have Destroyed Miller

In Response to If Lucic Wanted To, He could have Destroyed Miller:
    This whole scenario is what todays hockey has become. Like Lucic stated, one minute Miller is in the net, he looks up and he is out going for the puck, what do you think is going to happen? Lucic could have knocked Millers head right off if he wanted to, he gave Miller a Lucic Love Tap and the baby is still whining. I tip my hat to Shanahan, he being an ex  power forward and being familiar with the situation Lucic was in understands the fundamentals and the harsh realitity in which this violent game is played. One move with your head down can turn into a major injury, so I say to Miller, if you are going to leave your net keep your head up or someone on the Bruins might knock it off next time.
    Posted by BRRocker

Gee, you're right.

After Miller got his mask knocked off, Hamill could have come over the boards and kicked him in the head.

Next time any goalie covers up the puck all the Bruins could charge the net and start taking 2 handers at the goalie until he's unconscious (or dead) and then get the loose puck and score.

Darn, I just realized something.

I checked the rule book and those things are illegal.

No wait, let me double check.

Rats, those things are still illegal.

Just like hitting the goalie.  It's illegal.  Out of the crease or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Its illegal, its illegal....We're not talking the law....Every time a player is in the box its a penalty or an infraction. What Lucic did is a penalty, to the RULES that are written. He served his time as does every other player who breaks the rules. So, Lucic braced himself. Its done and over. I think Miller was expecting contact, just not that much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicReborn. Show OlsonicReborn's posts

test

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

test

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ive watched the replay of the hit several times and and several different camera angles. If you watch Lucic, he is hunched over and stops skating, but then almost realizes at the last second that the collision is unavoidable. He straightens his body and runs into Miller. He never raised his arms when he hit Miller. It wasnt til after the collision do his arms extend. But Miller totally throws a shoulder into Lucic. I think Miller knew it was coming, and was trying to protect himself, by getting the better of Lucic by leaning in with the shoulder. Lucic's extra weight and speed was the difference. But I do think maybe Lucic, was thinking Miller would play the puck and maybe move enough to get out of the way. Who knows, the game happens so fast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In Response to If Lucic Wanted To, He could have Destroyed Miller : It's illegal.  Out of the crease or not.
    Posted by BadHabitude

I think you're missing the point here (and being a real jerk in the process.) No one is arguing that it is illegal. There was a penalty and Lucic served it without incident. Then we found out that Miller has a concussion and the Great North was looking for a suspension. But, had Lucic really wanted to, he could have crushed the poor fellow... and he didn't. No intent to injure, no suspension. End of story. Please move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: If Lucic Wanted To, He could have Destroyed Miller:
    I think you're missing the point here (and being a real jerk in the process.) No one is arguing that it is illegal. There was a penalty and Lucic served it without incident. Then we found out that Miller has a concussion and the Great North was looking for a suspension. But, had Lucic really wanted to, he could have crushed the poor fellow... and he didn't. No intent to injure, no suspension. End of story. Please move on.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey

The OP suggests that a goalie out of the crease is fair game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Yeah he could have really hurt him. I beleive he didnt see him until the last second then braced for contact. Doesn't mean Miller should send him a christmas card though.

The real issue here is the non reaction of the buffalo sabres after this occurred. Intentional or not, it has to be dealt with and wasn't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

When you're going for a loose puck you don't stop skating.
    When you're about to him someone that's stationary, you do.
    I was sitting right in front of this play, and it looked AWFULLY intentional. Tons of time to stop. No one skates to the puck with their head looking at their laces... they're looking at the puck. He definitely knew Miller was there and that he had played the puck.
    By the rules written, the correct penalty was assessed. What's more, because Miller assumes that Lucic would follow the rules, he wasn't expecting to get hit... which is what makes it a crummy thing to do. If the rules said a goalie out of his crease is fair game, then the goalie would be expecting a hit and take chances as he saw fit, and it wouldn't be a crummy thing to do.
    I'm a fan of Lucic, and this doesn't change that, but he's crossed the line a few times. He's been suspended for some, and not for others. He got lucky this time.
    I'm sort of okay with his antics when he DOES cross the line because A) he's on the team I like, and B) it's fun to do bad things, and I relate. Still, I have to acknowledge that those are the reasons I'm ok with it, and not because it's actually the right, or even an "ok" thing to do. You ought to do the same.
    I'm also a fan of Ryan Miller. The guy is pretty stand up. A great player, did amazing things for Team USA, and actually says what's up. I have a ton of respect for the guy, and I totally understand where he's coming from. Still a fan... plus he's my fantasy starter! I'm bummed he has a concussion.
    I'm glad Lucic isn't suspended (for selfish reasons), and I hope no one goes after Thomas/Rask or does anything stupid in the rematch.
    This notion that "Lucic could have really hurt him" is soooo stupid. He hit him hard enough to pop off his lid. He got a concussion. He DID really hurt him. All you're saying is he theoretically could have hit him harder. Not only is this a completely moot point, it's very close to being untrue... he really COULDN'T have hit him much harder than he did.

Sections
Shortcuts