IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach

What would Scottie Bowman do if he were the coach of the Bruins team right now?
    What would the lines look like
    What  system or strategy would he use, knowing he has the best goal tending in the league.

Your thoughts please.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach

Bowman never coached in the cap era.. he won some cups with some rediculas teams.. I don't know if julien is of that different of a mold (bowmen reigned in yzerman's game) but bowman had better pieces lets be honest...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach:
    [QUOTE]Bowman never coached in the cap era.. he won some cups with some rediculas teams.. I don't know if julien is of that different of a mold (bowmen reigned in yzerman's game) but bowman had better pieces lets be honest...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

That may be true, however everything being equal, I was referring to his ability to distinguish different talent plus his strategy skills.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach:
    [QUOTE]What would Scottie Bowman do if he were the coach of the Bruins team right now? What would the lines look like What  system or strategy would he use, knowing he has the best goal tending in the league. Your thoughts please.
    Posted by Bruin1972[/QUOTE]
    I stated last week that if Bowman was coach there would still be complaints that he wasn't passionate enough and that he wasn't flexible enough to stray from his system.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

And my point is Bowman coached Jugernauts with no cap in place.. With lack of a better reference those teams aren't the 2001 patriots that were a long shot with no stars (at the time).. Loaded teams, can make coaching looking good.. Not to take anything away from bowman, but I dont know if he could have added much to this team, I know cherry would have been looking for a tougher team, but not sure that wins more games in todays NHL either..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]And my point is Bowman coached Jugernauts with no cap in place.. With lack of a better reference those teams aren't the 2001 patriots that were a long shot with no stars (at the time).. Loaded teams, can make coaching looking good.. Not to take anything away from bowman, but I dont know if he could have added much to this team, I know cherry would have been looking for a tougher team, but not sure that wins more games in todays NHL either..

How much better team would you say the Habs have; Jack Martin seems to know what to do with the talent he has. Comments please.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : How much better team would you say the Habs have; Jack Martin seems to know what to do with the talent he has. Comments please.

?? The canadians, 2 points a head, when we have 2 games in hand?  Really not a good measuring stick.. Bruins are a +25, Montreal +17.. So I would say the bruins are the better team no? 

The truth is the "best" current team in Pitts, rebuilt, they were awful before the cap was in place, had #1 and #2 picks when the drafts were home runs, not really a fair measuring stick..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

If Eddie Shore and Bobby were on defense and Neely was on the wing...ridonkulous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : ?? The canadians, 2 points a head, when we have 2 games in hand?  Really not a good measuring stick.. Bruins are a +25, Montreal +17.. So I would say the bruins are the better team no?  The truth is the "best" current team in Pitts, rebuilt, they were awful before the cap was in place, had #1 and #2 picks when the drafts were home runs, not really a fair measuring stick..

The point here is this; I believe we have a little more and a little better talent than the Habs do today. As such the expectation should be a better position in the standing than 7th place; even though we have 2 or 3 games in hand, that only means we have to win most and I don't think we will. There is a problem with this Bruins team, that when we desperately need a goal, we generally don't have the determination to get it. Ex. against the flyers. Again. Is it the players or is it the system/strategy of JC. That is the point. Comments please.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : The point here is this; I believe we have a little more and a little better talent than the Habs do today. As such the expectation should be a better position in the standing than 7th place; even though we have 2 or 3 games in hand, that only means we have to win most and I don't think we will. There is a problem with this Bruins team, that when we desperately need a goal, we generally don't have the determination to get it. Ex. against the flyers. Again. Is it the players or is it the system/strategy of JC. That is the point. Comments please.
    You're Flyers game example is way off as they got the late 3rd period goal when they needed it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach:
    [QUOTE]What would Scottie Bowman do if he were the coach of the Bruins team right now? What would the lines look like What  system or strategy would he use, knowing he has the best goal tending in the league. Your thoughts please.

Trade for a PMD like Lidstrom!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : You're Flyers game example is way off as they got the late 3rd period goal when they needed it.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think not. We got the tying goal, but we lost in OT. Again. Just like in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : I think not. We got the tying goal, but we lost in OT. Again. Just like in the playoffs.
    So the problem is they can't score twice when needed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : So the problem is they can't score twice when needed.

Yes, right now the problem is everything. The only player worthy to be on the ice last night was Marchand. Period. If we can't beat one of the worse team, with all the talent that we have, what gives? Why is Bergeron, Lucic, Chara, etc playing like it doesn't matter? I' m so mad!
    And anybody thinking we are going to win tonight, think again. Having said that I hope i am wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Before last night, over the previous 16 games the Sabres earned 20 points.  Over a whole season, that would be over a 100 points as a rate.  The Bruins still should have been able to win, but don't think the Sabres are in the same category as the Islanders.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Before last night, over the previous 16 games the Sabres earned 20 points.  Over a whole season, that would be over a 100 points as a rate.  The Bruins still should have been able to win, but don't think the Sabres are in the same category as the Islanders.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    The same Sabre lineup,when healthy,was one of the top teams in the east.Now the fair-weather fans want to call them bottom dwellers.It's a joke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : The same Sabre lineup,when healthy,was one of the top teams in the east.Now the fair-weather fans want to call them bottom dwellers.It's a joke.

With all due respect, did you even watch the game last night? Wondering.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

If Bowman were coach we certainly would not see a coach whining to the media about what a tough decision it is between Paile and Seguin.  Talk about taking away Seguin's confidence, your no better than our garbage 13 forward whose only redeeming quality is that he can penalty kill.  If it was Bowman he would have said to Seguin we think it might help your development if you spend a few games with the coaches watching and that would have been the end of it.  If Bowman were coaching Caron would be the one put in the lineup not Paile.  You know I miss the Bruins organization of 2 years ago who were willing to put Schefer in the minors in order to ice the best possible team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]If Bowman were coach we certainly would not see a coach whining to the media about what a tough decision it is between Paile and Seguin.  Talk about taking away Seguin's confidence, your no better than our garbage 13 forward whose only redeeming quality is that he can penalty kill.  If it was Bowman he would have said to Seguin we think it might help your development if you spend a few games with the coaches watching and that would have been the end of it.  If Bowman were coaching Caron would be the one put in the lineup not Paile.  You know I miss the Bruins organization of 2 years ago who were willing to put Schefer in the minors in order to ice the best possible team.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

Orr... thank you for your input. And regarding coaching strategies, what would be different if Scottie were the one right now. Your comment please.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]If Bowman were coach we certainly would not see a coach whining to the media about what a tough decision it is between Paile and Seguin.  Talk about taking away Seguin's confidence, your no better than our garbage 13 forward whose only redeeming quality is that he can penalty kill.  If it was Bowman he would have said to Seguin we think it might help your development if you spend a few games with the coaches watching and that would have been the end of it.  If Bowman were coaching Caron would be the one put in the lineup not Paile.  You know I miss the Bruins organization of 2 years ago who were willing to put Schefer in the minors in order to ice the best possible team.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

Excellent thinking! ^^^^

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My source, Dryden's book and his description of Bowman.

Scotty alienated his teams, they didn't win because of him, they won in spite of him.

Throw the tactics and x's and o's out the window, this team would be playing with emotion every night and would be 4th in the league overall right now with about 42 pts by my reckoning.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : Orr... thank you for your input. And regarding coaching strategies, what would be different if Scottie were the one right now. Your comment please.

I can't answer that Bowman would change the system to suit the players he had.   My best guess would be that he would have them fore-check more and pinch the defense more.  I know that he would demand higher paced practices and better passing that what we see.  Our defense would stand up at the blueline much more often.  Basically we be more aggressive in the most important areas of the ice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The system wouldn't be much different.  Someone once asked Jacques Lemaire how he went from the Flying Frenchmen to teaching his teams to trap the life out of the opposition.   He said we don't play the trap.  The journo said so what do you call it?  He said Hockey.  It's the way he learned the game from Bowman - call it "left wing lock" or whatever label you need.

Go look at some of NJ's top scorers in the clutch and grab era.  Mogilny, Gionta, Elias, Richer all went over 40, sometimes in the same year.  Their top scorers scored.  It was their secondary scorers whose numbers may have suffered a bit, but the trade off was fewer total goals for a bigger goal differential.

The System doesn't explicitly keep players from being creative and attacking when they have the puck.  It only makes them work that much harder to get back into position.  Claude's by no means perfect - and his zealous commitment to playing all his lines etc. will cost the Bruins games - but if the players have the talent to finish their chances, or take advantage of opportunities to create chances, goalscoring will come.  The lack of passion?  I still can't get past the old veteran response: this is the best league in the world where you play against the best players in the world every night.  If you can't get up for that, no one can make you.  It's on the players.

Sections
Shortcuts