IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach

Oh and another thing we would have a much better transition game.  I hear many posters say we don't have a transition game due to a lack of talent on the Defense.  This is not true we do not have a transition game because we don't cause turnovers.  You need to first create turnovers before you can transition from defence to offence.  A transition game is just making a good first pass after the turnover.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Clode Lemieux was on OTR and he said that the B's have a great team but they (franchise) has a mental block that they can't win.  I agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach:
    [QUOTE]The system wouldn't be much different.  Someone once asked Jacques Lemaire how he went from the Flying Frenchmen to teaching his teams to trap the life out of the opposition.   He said we don't play the trap.  The journo said so what do you call it?  He said Hockey.  It's the way he learned the game from Bowman - call it "left wing lock" or whatever label you need. Go look at some of NJ's top scorers in the clutch and grab era.  Mogilny, Gionta, Elias, Richer all went over 40, sometimes in the same year.  Their top scorers scored.  It was their secondary scorers whose numbers may have suffered a bit, but the trade off was fewer total goals for a bigger goal differential. The System doesn't explicitly keep players from being creative and attacking when they have the puck.  It only makes them work that much harder to get back into position.  Claude's by no means perfect - and his zealous commitment to playing all his lines etc. will cost the Bruins games - but if the players have the talent to finish their chances, or take advantage of opportunities to create chances, goalscoring will come.  The lack of passion?  I still can't get past the old veteran response: this is the best league in the world where you play against the best players in the world every night.  If you can't get up for that, no one can make you.  It's on the players.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    I agree 100%.If you can't get up for the game on your own,I have trouble imagining much would change from the coach yelling at you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : I agree 100%.If you can't get up for the game on your own,I have trouble imagining much would change from the coach yelling at you.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

It is not about yelling at the players.  It about rewarding players that are playing well with extra ice time and taking ice time away from players that are not.  I do not remember ever seeing Bowman yelling at a player on the bench.  He would explain to a player why he was sitting them and he would sit any player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : It is not about yelling at the players.  It about rewarding players that are playing well with extra ice time and taking ice time away from players that are not.  I do not remember ever seeing Bowman yelling at a player on the bench.  He would explain to a player why he was sitting them and he would sit any player.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]
    Yeah but his rewarding of ice to the 4th line is one of his biggest problems(according to many here).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No, Bowman didn't yell at players.  He didn't have to.  I remember this sequence told by Aaron Ward or Dave Lewis when both were with the Red Wings.  Close game either tied or down by 1 and Lewis put Ward out on the ice, Bowman said to Lewis so Ward could hear 'why are you putting him out there? are you trying to lose this game?'

Yes, I believe players are up for every game.  No doubt about it, anyone here who has played a sport at an elite level knows that you get up for it, that's not really the issue.

The issue is making sure players channel that energy correctly - to calm them down when they should be - to get really mad when they should be - it's about psychology.  You don't want to burn them out.  You don't want them to go too easy.  It's just as important as deciding which line to play when.

Did Vince Lombardi really need to psyche up those guys who were probably all high on amphetimines at the time anyway?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IF SCOTTIE BOWMAN were the coach : Yeah but his rewarding of ice to the 4th line is one of his biggest problems(according to many here).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Thats why I haven't been complaining about it.  The 4th line has been our best line in about half of our games, they deserve ice time.  The problem is that the 4th line has been our best line.  When your least talented line is the best line, it begs the question as to why?  The answer is easy they are the only line on the bruins that is aggressive.

Sections
Shortcuts