If the cap comes down, the Bruins should...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: If the cap comes down, the Bruins should...

Some players making $3.5M or less would get moved. I can't see any defensemen getting traded that is where veterans are needed the most comapred to forwards. Peverley, Kelly, Thornton and Campbell would be the canidates to go.

Kelly has the most worth but has a full NTC, I don't think he would have a problem going back to Ottawa though. Peverley has a partial NMC, because he has 3 years left on his contract he might be more difficult and wouldn't get the return that Kelly would fetch. Thornton and Campbell are more replaceable by Bruins prospects but don't give as much cap relief as the other two.

For some reason though Luc I feel Fehr will demand salary rollback if the owners don't budge on lowering the cap there has to be some compromise. Hope yesterdays discussions in New York got somewhere!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

panic?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Immediately put Savard on LTIR and move heaven and earth to try to get Thomas off the books. That's $9 million. If the cap drops to $60 million that gets them there. Then they have to figure out a way to scrounge up another $7 million or so in space to cover the raises that they'll be paying out next year. Letting Horton walk next year may get the part of the way there, if they feel one of the prospects can step up significantly, as would trading Krejci. I'm not a fan of either of those options. If you look at the players the B's have under contract for next season that do not have some sort of NTC, partial or full, their contracts total $5.5 million (that's not including Marchand, as I don't know if he got an NTC yesteday or not).

They're in tight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm bored and these topics are too good...and my friends are also.

If the cap comes down, there will undoubtedly be a salary rollback along with it.  If it's $60M, there are 14 teams above that.  It wouldn't make any sense at all to leave the salaries where they are. 

Also, you know JJ is a big voice for the owners.  There is no way he hamstrings his own team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

see BadHab here's an example and another good thread we should bump up.

I'll add that I doubt more than half the teams that are over cap proposed of 52M don't have a back up plan or clause for the new CBA.
    Where are these salaries going to go ?  and why the teams continue to give new contracts ?
    Behind those doors thay have a plan.
    That brings me to Buffalo but this one deserves a new thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I'm in the camp of a 3rd or 4th line forward as well; I'm not sure the Bruins have enough depth to drop a D man.  I wonder if a big cap cut will lead to more drastic measures (a la Blackhawks) a few years ago when Top 6 forwards or Top 4 D-men are moved.   I can also see some teams employ the Souray move unless that is one of the measures nixed by the new CBA.  If it goes to 60 mill and more than half the teams are over, it will sure make things interesting unless the owners have already accounted for this with a ready-to-go "exception" clause for this season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I cannot see a scenario that would involve a cap decrease without players salary rollbacks. Too many teams would be in trouble.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    If the cap comes down, there will undoubtedly be a salary rollback along with it.  If it's $60M, there are 14 teams above that.  It wouldn't make any sense at all to leave the salaries where they are. 

Also, you know JJ is a big voice for the owners.  There is no way he hamstrings his own team.

That's the way I see it too.  It would be chaos in the league if the cap went down while salaries of contracted players stayed the same.  It would be nearly impossible to move any players, as there would be much more supply than demand on the trade market.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Nice to see the quote function working.  *rolls eyes*

Sections
Shortcuts