If you could add one player not currently in the NHL...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

If you could add one player not currently in the NHL...

Was throwing some names around last night with some fellow B's fans trying to think of a player who could be added as a mid season pick up who is not currently attached to an NHL roster (like last year with Satan).

Huge long shot I admit but hear me out.

The best name I could come up with based on the Bruins needs is Scott Niedermayer.  I seriously doubt he ever would un-retire considering his resume, but you never know.  Guys get the itch at different points in the early stages of retirement (I can still see Recchi's face on TSN 5 years ago when he first retired) but it would be worth a phone call and an attempt at persuading him.  If Cam/PC/Rex or whoever could somehow talk this guy out of retirement for one more whirl....this is the type of missing link that could put this team over the edge in my opinion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: If you could add one player not currently in the NHL...

First things first the Bruins would have to be contenders just before the trade deadline  then he might get interested . I would not be surprised a team picking him up on a prorated contract a la Satan .
    Last season he showed he can still motor and play. I was certain he would have been traded (with his permission) at trade deadline for a contender.  My bet he wanted NJ but Kovalchuk stole the show.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I was watching the Canada/Russia 2010 Olympic replay the other day and Niedermayer was still a top flight player even on the awesome stage of the Olympics.  So smooth with the puck and his skating was effortless.  I wouldn't question one bit if the guy was capable.  Just wondering if there is still a fire there.  This was only 10 months ago and his actual NHL season ended app 8 months ago.  Cam is a western guy like Scott and he comes off as a guy who would be tough to say "no" to.  Add Rex to the "join the B's" sales team and there is another guy who it would be tough to disappoint.

SN would address everything.  Moves the puck to the forwards as good as any in the game, smart player in his own end and can QB the PP.  Agreed the team needs to be a contender and as of today I do consider them one.  Perhaps just 1 piece away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Oh to dream the dream. Scott N. on the Bruins. Like Mana from heaven.

That is a PMD if there ever was one. Maybe tell him that he'll be up against Pronger. that might convince him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

MrPaulo ,  I couldn't agree more.  The guy has won everything there was to be won in hockey. For sure there has to be a fire underneath his behind to wanna get back to playing professional hockey.
    Most players after they retire have one ting they miss the most and that's being around the guys playing the best sport in the world.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from djstrome. Show djstrome's posts

McLaren. If he could pass a physical. The B's don't need any stupid magical "PMD" - they need a mean, tough SOB who is "tough to play against".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

There are rumblings that Forsberg wants to have one more go at it, but it still seems unlikely to me.

The next question is, what do the Bruins have to offer one of these guys.  An offer of 250k to come out of retirement usually doesn't cut it.  To clear the cap room available to sign one of these guys the Bruins would probably be shipping out more talent than they are bringing in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: If you could add one player not currently in the NHL...:
    There are rumblings that Forsberg wants to have one more go at it, but it still seems unlikely to me. The next question is, what do the Bruins have to offer one of these guys.  An offer of 250k to come out of retirement usually doesn't cut it.  To clear the cap room available to sign one of these guys the Bruins would probably be shipping out more talent than they are bringing in.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch,  there's always this little trick.  Towards the trade deadline you take a roster player and ship him to AHL to clear cap space , end of season and for the playoffs you can bring him back and does not need to pass waivers .
    Conclusion,  you don;t have to be under the cap for the playoffs. 
    Sneaky, eh ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh to dream the dream.  Brian L. on the Bruins. Like Mana from heaven.
    Oh to dream the dream. Al I. on the Bruins. Like Mana from heaven.
    Oh to dream the dream. Paul C. on the Bruins. Like Mana from heaven.

Sorry Sherman, but the wayback machine is on the fritz.  (no offense perry...)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

More seriously, no retreads.  Neidermeyer was a good enough in his last year, but he's no spring chicken who can step in and resume playing high level NHL hockey.  And the Bruins have no connection with him other than Bergeron playing on the Olympic team with him.  Being Western isn't going to cut it - it's not quite like the Yankees trying to talk a guy from Boston out of retirement with the "c'mon!  We're all from the Northeast!" but you see the point, right?  Much more likely that he says "If I'm coming back, I want to be near my family" and stays in the West - if he wants to play at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Would love to have Sheldon Souray.. Would solve a lot of issues.. PP point man, puck moving defenseman, tough and mean SOB , and would come cheap at trade deadline.. From an offensive standpoint , I know a lot would not agree, but Jaromir Jagr would fit in nicely up front on second line..if motivated..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: If you could add one player not currently in the NHL... : Fletch,  there's always this little trick.  Towards the trade deadline you take a roster player and ship him to AHL to clear cap space , end of season and for the playoffs you can bring him back and does not need to pass waivers . Conclusion,  you don;t have to be under the cap for the playoffs.  Sneaky, eh ?
    Posted by BsLegion

Sure, but do we really think that would help?  I know people aren't high on Ryder right now, but I think he's playing pretty well.  If you send Ryder to the AHL to bring in a Miro Satan type, have you really upgraded the team?  I know you can bring Ryder back for the playoffs, but it just seems like more trouble than it's worth.  You bring in a big question mark, you have Ryder (or whoever) disgruntled in Providence, you're changing the lines around, etc.  

I guess it would really have to be the right guy, or if injuries strike like they did last year it might make sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: If you could add one player not currently in the NHL... : Sure, but do we really think that would help?  I know people aren't high on Ryder right now, but I think he's playing pretty well.  If you send Ryder to the AHL to bring in a Miro Satan type, have you really upgraded the team?  I know you can bring Ryder back for the playoffs, but it just seems like more trouble than it's worth.  You bring in a big question mark, you have Ryder (or whoever) disgruntled in Providence, you're changing the lines around, etc.   I guess it would really have to be the right guy, or if injuries strike like they did last year it might make sense.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Niedermayer is not a Satan type but you're right it would be gruel on any player.    I was just answering that there's always that option .  
    By the time the Bruins reach that point who knows what their roster situation will be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If we're living in dreamland and anyone is open, then Alexander Guskov or Ilya Nikulin, both in the KHL, D with huge offensive upsides - Guskov has 13 g, 12 a in 30 games, and Nikulin has 5 g, 22 a in 31 games. Nikulin is also +8. They're likely the two best offensive defencmen not currently in the NHL.

Sections
Shortcuts