If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

He should probably get a game or 2. 

It's nowhere near the Cooke hit because it's within the play itself (puck was being  played), but it's still an elbow to the head.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Heatley also did the chicken wing elbow on Ott last night.  He should also be suspended.  Yes its Ott and I am sure some will say he deserved it.  I actually like Ott, has skill, will fight and drives players crazy. 
    Heatley should get a couple games as well...I will say three similar to Kubina.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'm finally convinced...i've been reserving judgement hoping it was just an isolated incident, but now there are incident(s). marchand does play dirty- and i don't like it one bit. i hope the captains straighten him out soon, if not, he'll have a few games off courtesy of campbell/betman. playing hard is one thing...playing dirty is another.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

So my hatred of Cooke should be the same as Marchand ? I must have missed all those knee to knee and head shots hits that Marchand has gotten away with in the past years I'll have to review all the "Coaches Corner" videos.

The difference between Marchand and Cooke is if , and he should, Rat II gets a game or two then I feel Brad won't do it again where as Cooke will hurt someone intentionally again no doubt.

So no I don't hate Marchand as much as I despise Cooke because Brad has never come close to breaking someone's neck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

is Marchand as bad as Cooke no ,but is does seem to be heading down that path and if he dosent get his focus back on skating and scoring he might end up being just another agitator ie Cooke or Avery 
              He has been hurting the second line lately in my opinion some time back in the third or fourth lines might straighten him out  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

Have you paid attention to Marchands junior career.  I am not saying you are wrong and I have already stated that NO ONE is like Ratt COOKE.  But Marchand has always played with a similar style.  He is also a rookie and is crossing that line.  again, I will be called a Hab Troll But Pk is basically a rookie and look at the reputation he has in the league and especially on this board.  I don't want that for our players. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40YrsNoCup. Show 40YrsNoCup's posts

dom is just a homer who can't see straight. If that was a Canadien who did the same exact thing to a Bruin he'd be on the phone with 911

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Stupid post NAS..comparing Marchand to Cooke?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No Shup I didn't see allot of Marchnd's edgy play in the Q but I've read and heard he was not well liked. When I think of simular style as Cooke I want to see video clips of Lecavalier chasing Marchand around the ice after an elbow to the head (like Cooke) or someone being wheeled off on a stretcher afte being hit by Brad (like Cooke) to compare Brad to Matt effectively. Where are these hits By Marchand over the last two years ? is my point.

Do you think Marchand hits with intent to injury ? I don't. Does Matt Cooke hit with intent to take a player out of a game ? You bet is and will always be the difference between an agitator and a Thug which Matt Cooke is and Brad Marchand isn't...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS,
    dirty hit, definitely, but you can hate the hit with out hating the player..

To marchands benefit, he does not have a history of these kid of hits in his career highlight film..

He should be suspended for a game or 2, and not that we play columbus again, but when players start to come calling, he should be prepared to answer..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    Stupid post NAS..comparing Marchand to Cooke?
    Posted by kelvana33

Kelv,

I hate Cooke more than any professional athlete of any time.  more than ARod, more than Ulf more than anyone. 

BUT, Cooke had to start off somewhere.  Marchand has been walking the line for a while.  This isnt his 1st incident at all.  As I have said.  Its one thing to play hard on the edge.  But he is playing with fire in terms of a rookie with a reputation. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

dom is just a homer who can't see straight. If that was a Canadien who did the same exact thing to a Bruin he'd be on the phone with 911
    Posted by 40YrsNoCup

No true at all 40yrs but good try.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Thought the hit was dirty but Marchand's body of "dirty" work doesn't yet compare to Cookes.  So, No I do not have to hate Marchand the same as Cooke.  But make no mistake that it was a cheap shot and something I'm sure the rest of his team mates preferred he didn't do.  If Marchand continues to play that style of game, I doubt he'll be with the  Bruins long term.  I really think his act is starting to wear thin with the rest of the team (yipping, starting after whistle scrums, etc).  I think his line mates (Recchi and Bergeron for the most part) have had enough of it.  Waste of energy to those guys.  Not in Bergeron's nature to instigate crap and Recchi only reacts when he feels someone has taken liberties with a teammate or himself.  I don't think either of these two care for the instigator/antagonist player on their line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No Shup I didn't see allot of Marchnd's edgy play in the Q but I've read and heard he was not well liked. When I think of simular style as Cooke I want to see video clips of Lecavalier chasing Marchand around the ice after an elbow to the head (like Cooke) or someone being wheeled off on a stretcher afte being hit by Brad (like Cooke) to compare Brad to Matt effectively. Where are these hits By Marchand over the last two years ? is my point. Do you think Marchand hits with intent to injury ? I don't. Does Matt Cooke hit with intent to take a player out of a game ? You bet is and will always be the difference between an agitator and a Thug which Matt Cooke is and Brad Marchand isn't...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I believe there is plenty of intent in his hits.  Everyone loves the big open hit and the term "Bell Rung" is a forbidden word.  every rat style player starts somewhere.  Maybe if Cooke would have been contained in his 1st couple of years he wouldnt be like he is today.  Everyone starts somewhere. 

And I gave a list of dirty plays that he has done since the end of January. 

To compare him to Cooke is wrong.  But to group him with other would be rat style players(PK, Ott, Avery, Tottoo, Clutterbuck) isnt that far off. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Dirty hit from Marchand and I agree he is becoming a "Cooke or Avery like player".  I am going to take a hypocritical stance and say that in a league that allows for these types of players it doesn't hurt for the Bruins to have one of their own.  He does fire the team up and engage them physically even if it is coming to his defense after a questionable hit.  And if he can be a 20+ goal guy he will play in this league a long time.  Funny how when the guy doing the dirty is on your team you tend to overlook or even embrace rather than bash.  Rodney Harrison anyone??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I think there is a lot of over reaction going on, based on how hot this topic is right now in the world of hockey.  If you watch the video, Marchand is looking at the puck not the man, who as others have stated is falling to the ice.  Even in slow motion, you can see that Marchand lifts his right leg to try and avoid contact with Umberger in an effort to get to the puck.  Did he get the wing up a little to shield the opposing player in an effort to win a 'Puck Battle" which is a normal hockey play or did he target the player's head with a blatant elbow extended from his body with clear follow through?  It's close, but at no point was he looking at the player, therefore I believe it was incidental contact to a player's head and not intentional targeting of the head of a player that was going down to the ice.  Is Krejci dirty? Because in the course of his puck battle in the corner his stick came up and caught the guy in the face?  He received a 2 min. penalty for cross checking.  Should we call him Matt Cooke as well?  Brad Marchand is a pest and someone who talks a lot of smack on the ice and might tap someone in the junk or the back of the legs to get under their skin, but I have not witnessed anything remotely close to what Matt Cooke has done throughout his career.  Because it is the Bruins and because of the heightened awareness, plays will be srutinized over and over. 

Do all of you that think Marchand's hit was dirty believe that Steckle's hit on Crosby was as well?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQziwabMKk  Listen to the announcers, he wasn't even looking at him, etc...  To me the hits were similar in that fashion, and intent will always be something that only one person will ever know the truth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I agree Marchand is heading down the wrong road.  Watched the replay several times, and didn't find it terribly violent.  Just incredibly stupid, and classically dirty.
    That was a minor little whack up side the head, but it's dumb.  Everyone is sprawling and turtling when they get touched around the head now, so players should know better.  It always gets called, and players aren't supposed to put their teams at a disadvantage that way.  I've always liked tough hockey, and I've always hated anything cowardly or predetory, especially when someone has their back turned.
    Cowardly, punk play, that's what it was.
      I don't know if that is, or should be suspensionable though.  With all the hoopla going on now, what should or shouldn't deserve suspension is all anybody wants to talk about when they mention the game.
      May be a good time for more clarification.
      I don't think this play deserves a suspension, however it bugs me enough, I wouldn't argue one.  The reason being...if it is, suspensions are going to be as common as minor penalties.  Think we need to keep suspensions for the big stuff.
      Marchand needs to be taken by the throat...by a few of the team veterans, and put back on track.  He's brought lots to the table, but now it seems, he's losing his way.  That happens with young players, and they can learn very quickly with the right teaching methods. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This was a bad hit and I wish Marchand would knock it off and stop trying to be the pest all the time.  Shame on him.

However, I have to agree with the majority here that he isn't even in Cooke's league yet.  I can't think of anyone he has actually injured and I don't think it is a fair comparison.  I hope he cleans up his game and continues to improve as a player.

Cut the crap and play hockey Brad, I don't want to see other Bruins having to answer the bell for this garbage either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

This is my definition of dirty:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mJbKBZdsN4&feature=related
    not what Marchand did. Watch Paille track the player and never look at the puck, he targeted the man and his head.  The Plekanac video speaks for itself, by the way did he get tossed out of the game or suspended?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The Marchand hit was out of order.  I just heard Heatley has a meeting scheduled with the league for his own on Ott last night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think there is a lot of over reaction going on, based on how hot this topic is right now in the world of hockey.  If you watch the video, Marchand is looking at the puck not the man, who as others have stated is falling to the ice.  Even in slow motion, you can see that Marchand lifts his right leg to try and avoid contact with Umberger in an effort to get to the puck.  Did he get the wing up a little to shield the opposing player in an effort to win a 'Puck Battle" which is a normal hockey play or did he target the player's head with a blatant elbow extended from his body with clear follow through?  It's close, but at no point was he looking at the player, therefore I believe it was incidental contact to a player's head and not intentional targeting of the head of a player that was going down to the ice.  Is Krejci dirty? Because in the course of his puck battle in the corner his stick came up and caught the guy in the face?  He received a 2 min. penalty for cross checking.  Should we call him Matt Cooke as well?  Brad Marchand is a pest and someone who talks a lot of smack on the ice and might tap someone in the junk or the back of the legs to get under their skin, but I have not witnessed anything remotely close to what Matt Cooke has done throughout his career.  Because it is the Bruins and because of the heightened awareness, plays will be srutinized over and over.  Do all of you that think Marchand's hit was dirty believe that Steckle's hit on Crosby was as well?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQziwabMKk   Listen to the announcers, he wasn't even looking at him, etc...  To me the hits were similar in that fashion, and intent will always be something that only one person will ever know the truth.
    Posted by MeanE

I agree MeanE.The hit does remind me somewhat of a Linesman type play in that it was greasy but not overly dangerous.The league likely won't even review the hit so it's basically a case of "fans" making more out of this than need be.Am I surprised that NAS has found a new reason to dislike Marchand?Yes,I'm somewhat surprised.Should I be?Probably not since Marchand is a player he disliked from the get go.Doesn't comparing him to Matt Cooke after 86 NHL games say it all?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

NAS, I usually agree with your perspective, so I watched the "youtube" video you provided. Marchand is turned and looking at the puck; His elbow does NOT rise one little tiny bit and , from the video, seems to pass over Umberger's shoulder. My call would be 2 min. for interference, and it is not what I would call a dirty hit. Unneccessary, yes, but not intent to injure. Marchand has not learned to control his former instincts as well as he should, but, in defense, a number of MUCH BIGGER opponents are constantly taking a run at him. Most miss because of his speed. Bergie needs to tell him to cool it, and probably will. Take an objective look again, I think you will agree.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

NAS, I usually agree with your perspective, so I watched the "youtube" video you provided. Marchand is turned and looking at the puck; His elbow does NOT rise one little tiny bit and , from the video, seems to pass over Umberger's shoulder. My call would be 2 min. for interference, and it is not what I would call a dirty hit. Unneccessary, yes, but not intent to injure. Marchand has not learned to control his former instincts as well as he should, but, in defense, a number of MUCH BIGGER opponents are constantly taking a run at him. Most miss because of his speed. Bergie needs to tell him to cool it, and probably will. Take an objective look again, I think you will agree.
    Posted by bogie6

He won't Bogie. I tried to explain how the hit wasn't dirty but all he did was attack me personally.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bogie,

Did you see Gerbee get raped last night.  Smallest guy in the league.  Love the way he plays and doesnt need to play the garbage game. 

Marchand has a lot of very good qualities.  I just don't like the cheap stuff.  When its constant its not by accident.  I understand its hockey and the speed has a lot to do with it.  But spearing someone in the giggle berries has nothing to do with hockey

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm again late on this one and excuse me for not reading everyone's posts and maybe repeating . 
    Yes was an elbow and dirty. You see him extend his arm and that's where he's wrong. 
    Hasn't he realized that the league is looking for blindside hits ?  No matter how low the opponent is.
    I said this before and I'll say it again, someone must sit with him and calm him down. He's gotten away from what he was doing best and that's playing hockey, not agitating. 
    Maybe that's one of the reasons he was benched.
    Cooke = Marchand is a little harsh for now.

Sections
Shortcuts