If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    [QUOTE]NAS, I had this same argument with Callo.  He wears Bruins colored glasses when its one of our guys.  When its the other guy its the dirtiest player in the league.  Marchand has turned into a player I don't like.  I don't like them when they play for other teams and I certainly don't like it when its our guys.  Marchand has always been known from his junior days of being a disturber.  He also had some attitude issues from when he played with the Halifax Mooseheads.  He will soon be labeled for all the cheap stuff he does.  He already has been by me.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Shupe, anyone who suggests that this blatant elbow to the head isn't dirty is not wearing glasses, but living in an entirely different dimension.  There is no justification for this, no excuse, no reason.  To go so far as to suggest that the elbow was partly Umberger's fault for being bent over, and to try to excuse the first video because you can't see how the play developed show an incredibe lack of maturity and understanding...which is why I skip most of his posts.

The play is dirty.  I hope Marchand gets what I would hope any player gets:  A long suspension for a dirty hit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I have noticed Marchand's play a lot since Christmas and I just don't like it.  He has gone over the edge too many times and if he didnt play on the toughest team in the league I would bet he likely wouldn't be as cheap.  Actually he may be.  But sooner or later he will have to answer the bell with a suspension or with another teams tough guy/skating clown.

He isn't a fan favorite of mine at all.  Dirty cheap a $ $ stuff. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how Jack said nothing about the hit, and NESN showed no replays of it.  If it was a Bruins player that got hit with that elbow, Jack would of been flipping out and spent the rest of the game working it into every other sentence.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

Actually they did show at least 1 replay live. I remember seeing it and going "crap" just like I did when Paille got suspended earlier this year. It was funny listening to Jack and Brick. Brick said something along the lines of "Not much contact there, Puck was close enough". I didnt like the hit.

But Comparing Brad to Matt cooke? really? Who's career has he ended, which superstar did he intentionally Knee-Knee hit?

He's obviously frustrated hopefully someone tells him to cool his jets and get back to playing hockey and not this other stuff. He was a great agitator when he was scoring and keeping clean(well maybe a little dirty). Im sure he'll get back to form.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Didn't watch the video, but it won't change my opinion.

Because I don't like Marchand and his style of play.

Having said that, I HATE Cooke, Marchand I don't like.  If Marchand hospitalizes someone with something cheesey, then my feelings will probably get stronger.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

hahaha.  NAS you are comparing that type of play to Matt Cooke barrelling full speed at someone and taking their head off or boarding them from behind?  Reality check.  An elbow to the back of the head, yes.  Dirty?  Not really.  Lame at best. Certainly not suspension worthy.  Marchand was barely moving skating by Umberger and it was more of a shove to the head with his elbow.  He certainly could have cocked his elbow and let fly, but by elbowing standards it was pretty tame.  I'm sure by the end of the year though, you'll be comparing Marchand to Sean Avery next.  Avery had a really great, classy game last night against the Isles.  Marchand should definitely aspire to be that type of player, just to please you and give you something to complain about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Dirty hit? Are guys serious? You say you watched the game right? Did you happen to see Krejci get face planted? Did you notice Boycuck has nearly decapitated in front of our net in the first?? You conveniently omitted those hits. This is HOCKEY not tennis!!!! Marchard held his skating line, did not raise his elbow, did not increase speed, did not follow through, Umberber was bent down Marchard is only 5' 10" or so. It was a HOCKEY HIT!!  Like Washingtons' coach said  if you don't like the violence DON'T WATCH!!!!! There are hit similar to that each and every game. Now everybody is sensitive and notices, you must have listen to those commentators for your opinions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

He should have saved thos elbow for a habs player that 's the only thing that I am not proud of

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I think everyone on here is blowing this out of proportion. Saw the hit and thought it was a little cheap but I don't know how your putting this in the same box as Cooke's dirty play and other dirty elbows.

It wasn't an intentional headshot and Marchand wanted to bump him off the play. I have a problem when players are trying to ring the bell on a guy, not when they're trying to hit them in the numbers and end up hitting them in the head.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Brad-Marchand-8217-s-blindside-hit-irrit?urn=nhl-wp425

I just don't think it's in the same ball park as some of the other plays we have seen and don't know why everyone hates Marchand now. He's not head hunting and plays a chippy, not a dirty game.

NAS just doesn't like Marchand and now he has an excuse not to like him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    [QUOTE]Did you see the elbow he put on RJ Umberger?  Umberger didn't have the puck.  Marchand comes from behind him and elbows him behind/below the ear.  That's about as dirty as it's going to get. Marchand came out as a hard skating, free wheeling fun to watch rookie.  He's now trying to get under the skin of everyone and be the super pest.  You know what he is?  He is dirty.  He is a dirty, dirty hockey player and he should be suspended. It makes me sick that this kid is playing this way while wearing a Bruins jersey. http://www.twitvid.com/RTSLC
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I voted yes, Marchand is playing just like he was last year.  This year he is a pest who lives on the edge of the rules, yet lately has lost his awareness.  He has quick hands with his stick work ranging from the sly (dirty) to the clever (brilliant).  His recent play is not playoff hockey.  The Bs management team needs to temper his enrgy as the penalties in the playoff could trigger losses not wins.  

BTW Umberger was a beast last night, very difficult to stop.  One of the better players on the ice.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Was a bad hit. No doubt about it. Should have been a penalty and probably 3 games.

The difference between the two is that one is a kid who can change his game, and given the character in the Boston dressing room, probably will, while the other has a long list of questionable and blatantly dirty hits and has shown little ability or desire to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

And I wasn't hearing this outcry when Paille threw that hit and got suspended. Why not? Why wasn't there a "throw him off the team" when that happened. It was a worse hit, no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Cheap hit? Yeah, kinda.
    Intentional like cooke? Nope.

NAS, you just seem to just be out to get guys who you don't like.  (i.e. Thornton, Marchand, Hamill)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

[QUOTE]NAS, I had this same argument with Callo.  He wears Bruins colored glasses when its one of our guys.  When its the other guy its the dirtiest player in the league.  Marchand has turned into a player I don't like.  I don't like them when they play for other teams and I certainly don't like it when its our guys.  Marchand has always been known from his junior days of being a disturber.  He also had some attitude issues from when he played with the Halifax Mooseheads.  He will soon be labeled for all the cheap stuff he does.  He already has been by me.

And you, Shupe, wear Habs colored glasses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]And I wasn't hearing this outcry when Paille threw that hit and got suspended. Why not? Why wasn't there a "throw him off the team" when that happened. It was a worse hit, no?
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

There was a pretty long discussion about wether the Paille hit was actually dirty or not. I thought it was from the 1st second I saw it. I had the same reaction ot this but after thinking more about it.

There is no way Marchand injures Umberger with that, he is too small. Plus if he wanted really wanted to he coulda dipped that shoulder and made sure Umberger didnt get up. But he didnt, Cooke would have.

Although I didnt like either Paille or Marchand's hits it just seems like a certain poster in this thread has a vendetta against Marshmont.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, now I went back to watch it.  Live, my reaction was as above - that Marchand's brain is on vacation and he's doing stupid things to live up to that pest role we hear so much about.  I hate that pest role, and I think it leads to injuries for your team, so I wish he'd get back to putting that energy into hockey. 

Now I think it's worse.  Elbow doesn't come out or up more than a couple of inches. He's not barrelling into him with malice aforethought.  At first glance, it looks like Marchand's following the play with his eyes and turns into Umberger as he goes.  He doesn't look like he's winding up to smoke R.J.

But all of that looks opportunistic not accidental.  Umberger was vulnerable, his head was available, and it looks like Marchand makes a slight course correction to ensure he makes contact.  That's a Cooke play.  Matt Cooke doesn't run around and elbow guys in the regular course of events; Matt Cooke's firing sequence kicks off the second he sees a guy vulnerable - Savard finishing a shot, a Rangers' D off balance along the boards etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Yes. It is or looks like a dirty hit. To me that happens only because Umberger put himself in that position. Umberger is taller then Marchand by a foot. So with that in account. Umberger if skating the right way, would have been hit on the back or shoulders. At max Marchand might get 2 maybe 4 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

It's a blindside hit to the head and exactly what they're trying to stamp out. I think the league has grounds to suspend although I agree with most there wasn't much in it. In days past no-one would have batted an eyelid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Paille doesn't have a rep for dirty play, stickwork, and questionable ethics the way Marchand did coming out of Jr., so the difference is that Paille did something NAS might not have liked while Marchand looks like he might BE something NAS doesn't like.

I should add that I now think Marchand should get a look from supp. discipline and either a game (not a violent hit just a dirty one) or two.  I hope there's something, because it's no coincidence the Bruins have looked sluggish since the Pacioretty affair, and I really would rather the team not be labelled as NHL darlings going into the playoffs.  That sort of thing breeds overreaction, lots of marginal penalties against the Bruins, and blind eyes to retaliatory slashes etc.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : And you, Shupe, wear Habs colored glasses.
    Posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

I wear hab colored glasses?  Please give me examples.  I will await.  I have said this before.  Hockey fan that is objective who can see things without being a homer.  As soon as anyone on here calls out a Bruins player they are a Hab fan.  Too funny.  And as soon as any one calls out a Bruin player they always reference a semi(similar)-dirty hit on a Bruin in a same game.  That wasnt the question.  The Question here was it a dirty hit?  Yes it was!  Is Marchand playing like a little punk?  Yes he is!
    Want my examples of Marchand.
    1. Running a Habs dman clearly after the wistle(Hab Colored Glasses?  No, if PK did that he would be public enemy number 1.)
    2. Speared Canuck in the groin.  Ultimate in dirty play.
    3. Next night he runs Eberle from behind in the boards.
    4. Last nights hit
    These are just some of the examples.  So how does this make me a Hab fan?  B/C I am calling out a Bruin.
    Also, some of the items I have talked about recently was
    -Price over Thomas for MVP- I actually think Toews gets it.  But without Price the Habs are a brutal team.
    -I also talked recently about Lidstrom and being the 2nd best of all time.
    -I talked about Ryan/Perry/Getz and how dominant they are.
    -I talked about the Calder race and how I have Marchand in there.
    -I have defended the Bruins when a large majority threw them under the bus.
    -I called out Ference for going to the media.  
    -Lucic being overpaid (which if you read I said I was completely wrong, so I even admit when I am wrong).
    -Torres for our 4th line.  Classic debate between NAS and I. 

For some reason being open and honest is being called a Hab Fan.  So essentially I am a Hab Troll.  You want an honest answer about hockey and I will give it and I don't care if its Bobby Orr or Cam.   

You show me how I am a Habs fan.  I indicated that I am in a family of Habs fans and was given a Bruins Jersey by my mother when I was in grade 5.  I also grew up and am good friends with Glen Murray which was a bonus being a Hab fan.  Actually was in his parents house after graduation when he got drafted, attended his wedding and remain close to him to this day.

I am waiting for your list that deems me a Habs fan and not someone who is open and honest about all issues related to hockey. 

Tic-Toc Mo Fo I am awaiting

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    [QUOTE]Did you see the elbow he put on RJ Umberger?  Umberger didn't have the puck.  Marchand comes from behind him and elbows him behind/below the ear.  That's about as dirty as it's going to get. Marchand came out as a hard skating, free wheeling fun to watch rookie.  He's now trying to get under the skin of everyone and be the super pest.  You know what he is?  He is dirty.  He is a dirty, dirty hockey player and he should be suspended. It makes me sick that this kid is playing this way while wearing a Bruins jersey. http://www.twitvid.com/RTSLC
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You know how much it pains me to agree with you, but I do have to agree that you can't have it both ways. I didn't see the play, but if that is what happened, and I see no reason to doubt you, then yes, CJ should take him aside and tell him this is not done on the Bruin's team or any other. But does CJ do that, or give him a nod on a good job done?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Beantown-

I have read some of the most intelligent hockey posters chime in on this thread and to a man they all agree that the hit was dirty.(Bookboy, Perry, NAS, DEZ, BSL as examples).  Does this make them all Habs Trolls as well? Just curious.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

@Book

Your right thats almost exactly how I viewed it happening. However the biggest difference is that Marchand didnt lower the boom  but rather brushed through him.

A cooke style hit he woudlve lowered his shoulder for full on contact and RJ woulda been hurt. Not saying I like it, I wish that he wouldnt have done it.

But Calling him cooke? Thats like saying you had 12 shots of whiskey instead of 2-3beers to make your story sound cooler.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Being bent over can be relevant.  If Marchand had simply skated in and hit him, with his arms at his sides, and ended up elbowing him in the head because he was bent over so much, I don't think I would consider it a dirty hit (though of course there would be other factors that could change my mind).

That's not what happened here.  Marchand lifted his elbow up, and I can't think of any reason for him to do that except to try to elbow Umberger.  Definitely blind-side, definitely to the head.  If he doesn't get suspended, I'd begin to wonder if Big Joe was right.

I liked Marchand more when he was limiting his agitation to the more vanilla stuff.  No idea why he's been doing more of this crap lately.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And I will clearly state no player is like Matt Cooke.  Cooke is a piece of ____. 

However, reputation is key.  He is a rookie and is crossing the line.  You know the old saying about 1st impressions.  I like him playing a robust style of game.  Just keep it between the whistles and keep it clean. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]And I will clearly state no player is like Matt Cooke.  Cooke is a piece of ____.  However, reputation is key.  He is a rookie and is crossing the line.  You know the old saying about 1st impressions.  I like him playing a robust style of game.  Just keep it between the whistles and keep it clean. 
    I will agree with this. What NAS failed to observe is I said it was elbowing. I just didn't think it was as dirty as he was making it out to be. Marchand needs to stay focused.