If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

The hit by Marchand was an elbow to the head. Period.

The kid is 5'8"(if he's lucky) and Umberger is 6'2". You've got to put effort into it when there is that kind of height differential. I can't believe the refs didn't see it. I'm ashamed of Jack and Brick too. They should have said something.

He's no Matt Cooke, but he's got potential. Claude has tried to reign him in but it's not been effective. He deserves a suspension.

Once again...7th player vote from me goes to McQuaid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Finally, something official on it:

Phone hearing tomorrow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

“I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard he might have left his feet with an elbow,” Umberger said. “That’s what it felt like . . . You got to think that’s one of the hits we are trying to eliminate whether it’s inadvertent or not.”

You have got to be kidding me.  Left his feet!  What a joke!  He lifted his leg in attempt to get the puck and not collide with Umbergger.  I don't recall the rule book stating that inadvertent hits were punishable. 

Like Mario, I might have to question whether or not I will watch anymore.  If the league is going to turn into a Wednesday morning men's league game with no contact allowed.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    [QUOTE]Finally, something official on it: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2011/03/marchand_to_hav.html Phone hearing tomorrow.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    I'm surprised it ever became official since this forum is the only place I've heard the incident being discussed.That said,I still feel the hit was dirty but not dangerous.That's a big difference.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

We have an interesting mix of view.  One extreme is "Get that dirty scum off the Bruins pronto, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him."  The other is, "Umberger is partly at fault for being bent over, plus, Marchand wasn't looking at him so he couldn't have meant to do it, plus, he really didn't do anything more than a slight bump."

When he gets suspended, which he will, will some of you Marchand fanboys come clean?

As for people saying that I've created this because I don't like Marchand, look over my posts, especially ones where I was heaping praise on his play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

If you want to see an attempt to elbow someone, watch when RJ gets up and tries to drill Peverly in the head in front of the bench.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : I'm surprised it ever became official since this forum is the only place I've heard the incident being discussed.That said,I still feel the hit was dirty but not dangerous.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Go read PuckDaddy.  Then check out the Columbus Dispatch.  Then NESN.  Then NECN.  Then WEEI. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]We have an interesting mix of view.  One extreme is "Get that dirty scum off the Bruins pronto, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him."  The other is, "Umberger is partly at fault for being bent over, plus, Marchand wasn't looking at him so he couldn't have meant to do it, plus, he really didn't do anything more than a slight bump." When he gets suspended, which he will, will some of you Marchand fanboys come clean? As for people saying that I've created this because I don't like Marchand, look over my posts, especially ones where I was heaping praise on his play.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    If he gets suspended I will still say it wasn't a dirty head hit like you imply/think it was. I will be perfectly okay with him getting suspended, rules are rules. Doesn't change my mind that I don't think the hit is as bad as any of Cookes' hits.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Dirty hit & I hope he gets suspended! I can't/won't put him into a Matt Cooke category yet because he's got abput 25 more cheapshots to go before he gets there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]We have an interesting mix of view.  One extreme is "Get that dirty scum off the Bruins pronto, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him."  The other is, "Umberger is partly at fault for being bent over, plus, Marchand wasn't looking at him so he couldn't have meant to do it, plus, he really didn't do anything more than a slight bump." When he gets suspended, which he will, will some of you Marchand fanboys come clean? As for people saying that I've created this because I don't like Marchand, look over my posts, especially ones where I was heaping praise on his play.
    I say he won't be suspended.What type of wager can this "fanboy" make on it?And don't act like you've been "heaping praise" on Marchand simply because you were forced to admit he was 10 times the player you thought he was(a minor league/4th liner I believe you said 6 short months ago).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

callo,

when is it a dirty hit then?  when is it a dirty play?  you defended him when he hammered Eberle in the numbers into the boards.  When is it not ok...I have seen you start a thread about Brule.  And that to you was the worst thing since the triple play going on in Japan.  You say one thing but then back away and say don't mix up my words.  If Bergie got that hit from Umberger is it a dirty hit?
    It can't be both ways.  A dirty hit is a dirty hit.  Period!  And for me saying this I get labeled a Habs Fan.  I mean I was pretty open about the Chara thing and saying it was an unfortunate hockey play siding with our guy.  But when a playing hits another player in the head like that how can you say you are cool with it. 

And what I wanna know is where is Ference.  I wanna know his opinion on this and Chara.  Since he is our team spokesman I wanna know how he feels about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Go read PuckDaddy.  Then check out the Columbus Dispatch.  Then NESN.  Then NECN.  Then WEEI. 
    I have a hard enough time reading this forum while working.Those publications won't change my mind on the hit though(or the Cooke comparison).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

There is a difference between saying he wasn't looking at him so he couldn't have meant to do it and that he was not looking at him, went to battle for the puck and clipped a falling player in the head, which imho is not "dirty". 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]callo, when is it a dirty hit then?  when is it a dirty play?  you defended him when he hammered Eberle in the numbers into the boards.  When is it not ok...I have seen you start a thread about Brule.  And that to you was the worst thing since the triple play going on in Japan.  You say one thing but then back away and say don't mix up my words.  If Bergie got that hit from Umberger is it a dirty hit? It can't be both ways.  A dirty hit is a dirty hit.  Period!  And for me saying this I get labeled a Habs Fan.  I mean I was pretty open about the Chara thing and saying it was an unfortunate hockey play siding with our guy.  But when a playing hits another player in the head like that how can you say you are cool with it.  And what I wanna know is where is Ference.  I wanna know his opinion on this and Chara.  Since he is our team spokesman I wanna know how he feels about it.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    1. I didn't defend, I admitted I didn't see him hit Eberle. I'm not a big fan of Marchand. I said I felt the Boychuk thing was a lot worse in my mind than what you said Marchand did. I'm not backing off my words. If Umberger did that to Bergy it is not a dirty hit in my eyes. He hit him in the head, yes, but there didn't look to be intent in my eyes so I don't see it as bad as everyone seems to think it is. If he gets suspended, which is likely seeing as it is a head hit, I'm not going to be up in arms about it. A head hit is a head hit. But I don't see intent in Marchand like there is in some head hits.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

I say that based on the rule, Brad will be suspended 2 games, because the hit was from the blind side and the principal point of contact was the head.  Not because the hit was targeted or dirty.  

Still haven't heard anyone call Krejci dirty for his cross check to teh face of the blue jackets player?  Why a double standard, becasue one player runs his mouth and the other doesn't?  To me both plays involved two players "battling" for a loose puck and an infraction incurred, but neither player should be mentioned in the same breath as Matt Cooke!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I keep honing in on what I think on this - opportunistic hit, not an attempt to injure (so not a Cooke hit).  There's no attempt to increase the force beyond the momentum he had going into the collision.  Not to sound like "he knows where the stanchion is", but I have to think a pro hockey player has good enough vision to see a 6'2" guy even when he's not looking right at him.

I think this is a typical agitator play - in some ways the kind of crap we lay into the Shabs for.  He isn't looking to make a physical play on Umberger, and he isn't head-hunting, but he sees a chance to put a little bump on Umberger to get under his skin.  I don't think he's targetting the head per se - that would be intent to injure by definition - but that's sort of beside the point because he did hit the head.

Incidentally, I believe they tried to tone down Matt Cooke when he was in Vancouver post Brian Burke and post lockout.  His numbers went down across the board, and he was gone to Washington at the deadline.  Some players can't be one without the other - effective without being dirty.  I don't think that's Marchand.  I think Marchand's less effective the more dirty he gets.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : 1. I didn't defend, I admitted I didn't see him hit Eberle. I'm not a big fan of Marchand. I said I felt the Boychuk thing was a lot worse in my mind than what you said Marchand did. I'm not backing off my words. If Umberger did that to Bergy it is not a dirty hit in my eyes. He hit him in the head, yes, but there didn't look to be intent in my eyes so I don't see it as bad as everyone seems to think it is. If he gets suspended, which is likely seeing as it is a head hit, I'm not going to be up in arms about it. A head hit is a head hit. But I don't see intent in Marchand like there is in some head hits.

Callo-
    If I told you to sample two hamburgers and tell me which one is the better and then only give you one hamburger how can you make a unbiased call.  That evening we argued I thought you saw the Eberle hit b/c you said you have taken many like that one.  You say you watch every game early in this post but fail to see it when he hit Eberle.  Were you Bruins Goggles blurry or were you on a bathroom break?

And I find it funny that it is only a couple weeks old and some are catching on to what I was saying and getting ripped for calling a spade a spade. 

Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. :
    Wow I have to defend myself to two guys on this board now on whether or not I watch the game. I'm on here before/after every game talking about the games. Shouldn't have to defend myself or prove myself. Why did I say I have been hit like that? Because you said Eberle turned towards the boards and that's when Marchand cranked him. We were arguing over what play we thought was worse. I said I'd rather be hit by Marchand in that situation than be cross checked in the head without a helmet on. Sorry I missed that play Shupe, I'm sure it's not the only play I'll miss in my lifetime.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

And I remember also saying that if Marchand did indeed cross check Eberle into the boards than it indeed is dirty and he needs to stop  it. I never argued the hit. I said I though the Boychuk incident was a lot worse.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Just saw it.
    Dirty. 4 games should be the call.
    Is the kid a Matt Cooke in the making? Don't think so...but nip it in the bud, now. Hockey doesn't need that crap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I'll guess no suspension.  The league would look foolish suspending Marchand and not Chara.  Imagine the uproar in Montreal! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Wow I have to defend myself to two guys on this board now on whether or not I watch the game. I'm on here before/after every game talking about the games. Shouldn't have to defend myself or prove myself. Why did I say I have been hit like that? Because you said Eberle turned towards the boards and that's when Marchand cranked him. We were arguing over what play we thought was worse. I said I'd rather be hit by Marchand in that situation than be cross checked in the head without a helmet on. Sorry I missed that play Shupe, I'm sure it's not the only play I'll miss in my lifetime.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Callo,
    We argued over it for hours.  I wouldn't argue(actually I may) a point of view when I only have one sample size.  I am not trying to question your faith at all but how can you base an argument on one play when we were debating two?

And how do you turn the cheek when its one of our guys over when its one of theirs.  Matt Cooke he will never be but at least some people are buying what I am selling about Marchand.  His play has been dirty.   Unbecoming of what I want in a Bruins uniform.  It isnt one isolated incident.  There have been many.  Dirty chicken ___ stuff that annoys me.  I don't like it.  Play with edge but don't tiptoe in the other end of the pool where the rats swim.  Cause I don't care what jersey he is wearing he is gonna be labeled if he keeps it up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I'll guess no suspension.  The league would look foolish suspending Marchand and not Chara.  Imagine the uproar in Montreal! 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    Chara shouldnt have been suspended for a hockey play that went wrong.  Marchand and Heatley both should get 3 games for deliberate hit to the head.  Intent or not. 
    Did anyone catch heatleys hit on Ott?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Intent means deliberate, shupe.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Callo, We argued over it for hours.  I wouldn't argue(actually I may) a point of view when I only have one sample size.  I am not trying to question your faith at all but how can you base an argument on one play when we were debating two? And how do you turn the cheek when its one of our guys over when its one of theirs.  Matt Cooke he will never be but at least some people are buying what I am selling about Marchand.  His play has been dirty.   Unbecoming of what I want in a Bruins uniform.  It isnt one isolated incident.  There have been many.  Dirty chicken ___ stuff that annoys me.  I don't like it.  Play with edge but don't tiptoe in the other end of the pool where the rats swim.  Cause I don't care what jersey he is wearing he is gonna be labeled if he keeps it up.
    Shupe, you were debating two plays. I started the thread saying the Brule thing was dirty, you came in saying but you're okay with Marchand running guys in the boards. I didn't argue the hit because I didn't see it. I only said I would rather be hit by Marchand in that situation than be cross-checked. We came to realize in the end we were arguing two different things and that's why we stopped.