If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

Book,

I know the definition.  Unfortunately some on here don't.  Should have made it more clear. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Shupe, you were debating two plays. I started the thread saying the Brule thing was dirty, you came in saying but you're okay with Marchand running guys in the boards. I didn't argue the hit because I didn't see it. I only said I would rather be hit by Marchand in that situation than be cross-checked. We came to realize in the end we were arguing two different things and that's why we stopped.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Do I need to go start that thread up again? 
    You argued that you were hit like that many times and its part of the game.  Please don't make me bring it up again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Do I need to go start that thread up again?  You argued that you were hit like that many times and its part of the game.  Please don't make me bring it up again.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    What would that prove? That type of hit happens a lot more compared to being cross-checked in the head without a helmet towards the end of a game, when play has stopped. This whole thread has gone downhill. So sorry to everyone that I disagree, to an extent, on this call and it has resorted to this. I will no longer be taking part in this thread. So stupid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Look at the 'Youtube" post from NAS, about the 5th original post. Marchand does NOT leave his skates to make a hit. He does not raise his elbow to make a hit. The twitter feed is obscure, not as clear. The only call should have been interference. MeanE says it correctly, that it was a bump. Shupe, did you look at " youtube" or twitter. A raised elbow or a jump to hit would be "dirty". I don't see either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : What would that prove? That type of hit happens a lot more compared to being cross-checked in the head without a helmet towards the end of a game, when play has stopped. This whole thread has gone downhill. So sorry to everyone that I disagree, to an extent, on this call and it has resorted to this. I will no longer be taking part in this thread. So stupid.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

"Girl(Callo) Don't Go Away Mad- Girl(Callo) Just go Away" Montley Crew

Kidding.  I kid.  Just kidding

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Chara shouldnt have been suspended for a hockey play that went wrong.  Marchand and Heatley both should get 3 games for deliberate hit to the head.  Intent or not.  Did anyone catch heatleys hit on Ott?

I agree shupe that Chara shouldn't have been suspended.  My main point was that the reaction in Montreal, IF MARCHAND DOES GET SUSPENDED, will be even more over the top than it's been.  I don't know if the league could stomach that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : "Girl(Callo) Don't Go Away Mad- Girl(Callo) Just go Away" Montley Crew Kidding.  I kid.  Just kidding
    I joke I joke I kid I kid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Shiite, barely touched him, did not look like head hunting, but was a head shot, more so than the hit by Pail earlier this year, but that was another era.  Give him the Pail 4 and be done with it.

This is not even worth talking about, not even comparable to the Hunwick on Sav shot that noone thought was dirty, a forearm shiver upside the head against the glass, it was just a hockey play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

One fact almost no one in the media seems to care about is the power--or lack thereof--with which Marchand hit Umberger. He could have hurt Um, but didn't. Maybe that was an accident, maybe not. I don't know because I don't read minds.

Moreover, for those who would compare Marchand to Cooke, I would ask you to give me a list of all the people Marchand has hurt.

Silence...

I don't want him turning into Cooke, mainly because I hate goons and think Marchand will go far in this league (not as a goon), but anyone who thinks the two are comparable is pushing the comparison into absurdity.

Oh, and yes, suspend him. Not a problem. These kinds of hits are out of the question, even if Marchand's particular hit was quite docile.

One more thing. If you've seen Marchy hit, you know that he could easily have harmed Umberger (and from behind, it's easy to injure). But again, note that he didn't put any power into it.

Relevance? The point is, Marchy ain't no Cooke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Shupe, anyone calling you a Habsfan as a dirty name is a troll. You usually have some good comments, very objective and enlightening. I did not notice the Eberle jab, but I agree with your perspective that Marchand is an agitator, and when he was benched, he should have been. The only Claude decision that I completely support. I know he's small and has been punded since peewees, but he is now with the big boys and needs to understand what is irritating and what is not allowed. i remember a young player in Bantams who had similiar skills and tendencies when I was a league coordinator. I went to the penalty box and explained why I thought he was wrong because he was lost to his team. two years later his Dad thanked me for making him listen because the kid thought  I was fair and cleaned up his attitude. Bergie needs to talk to Marchand.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bogie,

I try to keep it down the middle.  If people wanna call me a Habs fan for calling out a Bruin for questionable play- so be it.  I will like talking hockey with many on here.  Its fun to see other fans opinions, debate and have some fun.  at the end of the day we are all fans of hockey.  Its all good

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : I agree shupe that Chara shouldn't have been suspended.  My main point was that the reaction in Montreal, IF MARCHAND DOES GET SUSPENDED, will be even more over the top than it's been.  I don't know if the league could stomach that.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

A suspension is easily explainable by the NHL in that the hit was from the blind side and the head was the principal point of contact.  Now I know the Habs fans can't see the difference.  So be it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Anymore than 1-2 is bunk. Marchand is not a dirty player IMO and I think he was trying to bump him away from the puck rather than give him a concussion or ring his bell.

Wasn't clean but it wasn't dirty either. I'll call it a bad hit and be done with it. Slap on the wrist and hopefully Marchand learns a lesson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

He is a Rat (Kenny Linseman), but he is our Rat, simply put.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

NAS I don't know...it looked like Marchand grazed the top of his shoulder and maybe his ear...Marchand would do that to get under someone's skin. It did not appear to be intent to injure. If he wanted to injure Umberberger he easily could have b/c he was in a very vulnerable position.
    Just my take, but I think you over-reacted.
    Doc

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It was a mildly dirty and potentially dangerous hit and Marchand should be suspended.  That said, he is no where close to Matt Cooke.  Cooke is a repeat offender, and the attack was blatant on Savard.  He also showed no remorse and went after Savard in their first game this year.  Marchand was looking the other way, was probably trying to give him a shove more than take off his head, and has stated afterward that he shouldn't have done it.  Brad isn't becoming like Avery or Cooke, I have watched his whole career and he has always been a player with an agitator edge, but never what Cooke or Avery are, which is probably psychopaths.  Marchand is more like a Tikanen and I'm happy to have him on the Bruins but agree that he should be suspended and hopefully he learns from it and does not compromise the safety of his fellow players in the future.  Great topic, btw.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:[QUOTE] When he gets suspended, which he will, will some of you Marchandfanboys come clean? Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Oh so with that train of thought then when the league suspends a player your gulity of a dirty play, a dirty player and if they don't suspend you you're a clean player like Matt Cooke wasn't suspended when he hit Savard OK got it.

Can't come clean because I've never been suspended (caught!) so that means I'm not dirty in your own words. Nope don't need to bow down because if Umberger was standing up the elbow would have it him in the shoulder blade. It's not like the Blue Jax were diving all night either :sarcasm:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]The hit by Marchand was an elbow to the head. Period. The kid is 5'8"(if he's lucky) and Umberger is 6'2". You've got to put effort into it when there is that kind of height differential. I can't believe the refs didn't see it. I'm ashamed of Jack and Brick too. They should have said something. He's no Matt Cooke, but he's got potential. Claude has tried to reign him in but it's not been effective. He deserves a suspension. Once again...7th player vote from me goes to McQuaid.
    Posted by Krispy73[/QUOT

Poster Krispy, crackers?, you are kinda a cult fan on these boards..... anywho you are absolutely correct that Marchand needs to be contained.  Ok, I will give you the Marchand hit on Umberger was not that severe but it was an illegal hit. If the NHL needs to be more like the NFL, then the disciplinarians should simply review and fine or suspend when the intent is obvious.  YET!, my greater concern is the last sentence of your post.  Marchand needs to keep in mind his play is not out of control as a pest.  Yes he can yap and occassionally get under the skin of players like Cooke, but if you do the stick wielding, spearing, anddo the ankle busting crap too long, the team will suffer.  CJ needs to get him under control. 

For those who want to read of Cooke and his early attitude then read the article below.  Yes it is from the non hockey media but it gives a view of a player who was not reigned in early in his career, Marchand could follow if he is not schooled in how to respect others who play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Agitating play by Marchand, not dangerous at all, but definitely cheap and unnecessary.  I don't think it warrants a suspension, actually like islamorada's idea of being deserving of a fine.  Given the reaction to the Chara hit and non-suspension and will not be surprised if Marchand gets a game or two.  Also, won't b*tch about it since Marchand put himself in the situation, as it seems like he could have avoided the contact. 

That said, Marchand is not even in the same league as Cooke in terms of being a dirty player, shocked that posters out here are even suggesting it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : I agree shupe that Chara shouldn't have been suspended.  My main point was that the reaction in Montreal, IF MARCHAND DOES GET SUSPENDED, will be even more over the top than it's been.  I don't know if the league could stomach that.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    Frankly, Habs fans will cry about whatever supplemental discipline the league does or does not hand down to Marchand.  If they suspend him for five games, Habs fans will cry that the league is trying to distract everyone from Chara's blatant attempt to kill Pacioretty (their argument, not mine).  If the league doesn't suspend Marchand, Habs fans will cry that the league favors the Bruins, and no Bruins will get punished by the league as long as Colin Campbell's son is on the team. 

Have you seen the "Your Call" responses on the story about Marchand's discipline hearing with the league on TSN.ca?  Habs fans crying all over the place.  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358266

Here was a response that I entered.  I highly doubt that it will make it past the censors.  Most posts criticising the Montreal fanbase are censored by TSN staff.

"Look at all of the Habs fans in here crying about the Chara hit.  News flash: this hit was nothing like the Chara hit and Marchand will get punished by the league as he rightly should.  You crybaby Habs fans have squandered whatever sympathy you got for losing Pacioretty by your embarrassing overreaction to Chara's non-suspension.  Protests, calling the police, and threats from Montreal-based corporations?  Ridiculous.  Keep crying.  Bruins fans love it because it makes you all look like idiots.  Maybe if Air Canada pulls out of the league, Kleenex can take their place.  They certainly have a large target audience in Montreal."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

If Matt Cooke was not supended for the Savard hit why would Marchand be suspended for this hit?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

But Marchand has been spending far too much time in the box lately and is hurting the team, like last Friday... Plus when was his last goal?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]If Matt Cooke was not supended for the Savard hit why would Marchand be suspended for this hit?
    Posted by MrVmax[/QUOTE]
    Pretty simple.  They are attempting to change the culture of the game and he deserves a suspension.  Heatley got 2 games.  I would say Marchand gets the same.  Hopefully he learns from his stupid ways and can walk the line without crossing it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I don't want to stick up for Marchand; i think a suspension would be good for him.  

However, if you look at the video 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEG7R9qdS5s

it is odd, but from the side angle it looks like a elbow; but if you scroll to 1.24 and watch the rest of the video, you see the hit from the front; and in that view the elbow never leaves the frame of the body; in fact looks like he is pulling his elbow in to try not to hit RJ who is skating backwards.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want to stick up for Marchand; i think a suspension would be good for him.   However, if you look at the video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEG7R9qdS5s it is odd, but from the side angle it looks like a elbow; but if you scroll to 1.24 and watch the rest of the video, you see the hit from the front; and in that view the elbow never leaves the frame of the body; in fact looks like he is pulling his elbow in to try not to hit RJ who is skating backwards.
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

If he didn't move his elbow, he wouldn't have hit him.

Marchand is the exact type of player that I hate.  No, he doesn't have the same history of Cooke or Ott or Avery.  He does, however, think it's okay to elbow a guy in the back of the head...and for that I hate him.  I have played and watched hockey for 30+ years.  I have played with and against this type of person.   I want the Bruins to get this little snot off the team and bring in someone respectable.