If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.

In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : If he didn't move his elbow, he wouldn't have hit him. Marchand is the exact type of player that I hate.  No, he doesn't have the same history of Cooke or Ott or Avery.  He does, however, think it's okay to elbow a guy in the back of the head...and for that I hate him.  I have played and watched hockey for 30+ years.  I have played with and against this type of person.   I want the Bruins to get this little snot off the team and bring in someone respectable.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Hab Fan. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]Umberger is a big boy, if he wasn't so low to the ice (clearly can tell by the forward motion he makes and how bent his knees are) Marchands' hit would be to the back part of his shoulder. Clearly elbowing but I don't think it was head hunting by any means. You can't see where Marchand was or how the play was developing. 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

This is my interpretation as well. I would add that Marchand is trying too hard lately to manufacture chances... he'll take more dumb penalties and continue to hurt his team if this doesn't change. Still, no comparison with Cooke and you should be ashamed for making it NAS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : If he didn't move his elbow, he wouldn't have hit him. Marchand is the exact type of player that I hate.  No, he doesn't have the same history of Cooke or Ott or Avery.  He does, however, think it's okay to elbow a guy in the back of the head...and for that I hate him.  I have played and watched hockey for 30+ years.  I have played with and against this type of person.   I want the Bruins to get this little snot off the team and bring in someone respectable.

The Bruins should get rid of Marchand because you didn't like to play against his ilk when you played?  You sure you played men's ice hockey, NAS? 

Guys playing with an edge is nothing new, right?  I am a little surprised that you "survived" playing the game being so sensitive to this type of play.  Get alot of retaliation penalties did you?

Pencil me in as one of the Marchand "fan-boys" that has already stated in this thread that I will not be surprised or complain if he gets a game or two.  You are on record as saying that you think his play is Cooke-esque and that you hate him.  I am pretty sure most regular posters will not let you forget that analysis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I'm willing to give Marchand a second chance - because hopefully he can learn from his mistakes, PLUS he is actually a pretty good player (as is Cooke, which is why he is still around).  If he doesnt straighten out and play the game the right way, then yes, I would put Marchand in the Cooke category and wouldn't want him on the B's roster...but I'm sure some team would..

Trevor Gillies on the other hand doesn't belong in the league.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

Dirty hit that deserves to be punished.  He stuck out his elbow and hit a guy in the back of the head from behind.  Gutless, unnecessary, and undisciplined.

I am concerned about his growing lack of discipline.  Clearly he plays with energy and has a great shot.  however, he has got to learn how to channel it or he will not be with the Bruins for long. CJ demands discipline and nothing hurts a team more than taking stupid penalties.  Maybe a seat in the box beyond the 2 games he deserves will drive home the point with him.

He can be an effective player but needs to harness and control his emotions and play smarter.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Marchand is NOT in the same category as Cooke. Not yet and I hope he never reaches that low of a level. Go look at some of Cooke's greatest "hits" and see just how filthy a player he is. Blatant intent to injure opposing players all over the place. Dozens of them. Marchand is a pest and rarely crosses the same line that Cooke crosses on a regular basis. No camparison in my book.

The hit in question is to the head. Looked pretty dirty to me and he should suffer a suspension. I hope it's the last time we see such a thing from Marchand.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Marchand is NOT in the same category as Cooke. Not yet and I hope he never reaches that low of a level. Go look at some of Cooke's greatest "hits" and see just how filthy a player he is. Blatant intent to injure opposing players all over the place. Dozens of them. Marchand is a pest and rarely crosses the same line that Cooke crosses on a regular basis. No camparison in my book. The hit in question is to the head. Looked pretty dirty to me and he should suffer a suspension. I hope it's the last time we see such a thing from Marchand.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]
    I agree Walk and will say that Marchand has NEVER crossed the line into Cookeville.There's a huge difference between trying to upset someone(Marchand)and trying to injure someone(Cooke,Downey,etc.).I  have yet to see Marchand purposely try to take someone's head off.I have seen that from Cooke and Downey though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cieli01. Show cieli01's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : That's fantastic, I still stick by my original comment (same thought I had when I watched the game). Will it get reviewed? probably, it was a hit to the head. But RJ leaned forward reaching for the puck, his knees were bent, and Marchand hit him. Doesn't/didn't look nearly as bad in real time as it does in slow motion.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Hit his back/shoulder more than his head.  Still a stupid move by Marchand.  To compare him to someone that has done this a dozen times and has *injured* players several times is just stupid.   No comparison to Cooke, no way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Some call it agitating , in the end it's going to be dirty. 
    I'm sure he wanted to agitate him with a shove all 5ft8 of him and ended catching him on the head due to Umberger was low.
    I hope he gets suspended not to hear Joe Thorton in another interview.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : You are on record as saying that you think his play is Cooke-esque and that you hate him.  I am pretty sure most regular posters will not let you forget that analysis.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Why would that bother me?  In my opinion, the kid is a dirty hockey player and I hate dirty hockey players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I feel the same way about him; he's the same kind of player now that he was in the QMJHL where I watched him for 3 seasons. Can't say it broke my heart when he was the saviour for Val D'Or and Halifax and tanked both places when it counted most. (It was especially nice when Lewiston swept his punk ar*e out of the finals, and he was a non-factor most of the time).

I don't think he's Matt Cooke, though...Cooke's got a lot longer resume of cheap shots. Marchand has that kind of potential, though.....but he has a LONG way to go to get there. He may end up being a chippy guy you hate playing against, or he could be a complete SOB when all is said and done. At this point it can go either way.

I didn't think Chara deserved a suspension. 2 games for Marchand seems to be appropriate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Here's his interview after the suspension.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=660&id=103441

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]If Matt Cooke was not supended for the Savard hit why would Marchand be suspended for this hit?
    Posted by MrVmax[/QUOTE]

Because at the time, the Cooke hit was not illegal. It should have been, and it is now, but it wasn't then....so the league couldn't have suspended him, even if they wanted to (and I believe they wanted to, but instead had to settle for FINALLY changing the rules to outlaw such head shots that were technically legal).

(And just so there's no "WHAT!!! OMGZ IT WAS SO ILLEGAL!!!!1!1!!!!" stuff, it's unclear if contact was made by Cooke his elbow or shoulder...the ruling on the ice was shoulder, which is legal....and even going frame by frame it's impossible to conclusively rule otherwise, although I have my doubts. The puck had just left Savard so it wasn't interference.)

But that's the difference. Things have changed since the Cooke hit (thankfully) so Marchand's check is definitely punishable. 2 games seems fair; any more would have been an over-reaction.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Because at the time, the Cooke hit was not illegal. It should have been, and it is now, but it wasn't then....so the league couldn't have suspended him, even if they wanted to (and I believe they wanted to, but instead had to settle for FINALLY changing the rules to outlaw such head shots that were technically legal). (And just so there's no "WHAT!!! OMGZ IT WAS SO ILLEGAL!!!!1!1!!!!" stuff, it's unclear if contact was made by Cooke his elbow or shoulder...the ruling on the ice was shoulder, which is legal....and even going frame by frame it's impossible to conclusively rule otherwise, although I have my doubts. The puck had just left Savard so it wasn't interference.) But that's the difference. Things have changed since the Cooke hit (thankfully) so Marchand's check is definitely punishable. 2 games seems fair; any more would have been an over-reaction.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Do you mean was legal?  Because if you hit a player in the head with any part of your body from the blind side or laterallly, it is now a penalty and suspendable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Do you have any other video evidence of Marchands reckless and dirty play so as we can compare it with Cookes long and heinous career ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Do you mean was legal?  Because if you hit a player in the head with any part of your body from the blind side or laterallly, it is now a penalty and suspendable.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Yes, was legal. I didn't change the tense on that one. The context of the remark with the rest of the post should make that clear, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Why would that bother me?  In my opinion, the kid is a dirty hockey player and I hate dirty hockey players.

Not saying it bothers you, just think that you are being way too hard on the kid.  He's 22 years old with 86 NHL games under his belt, he made a mistake and is paying for it.  He also has a long career ahead of him, so I think it's extremely unfair to compare him to a criminal like Cooke. 

You use whatever rhetoric suits you, but I think put yourself in a box when you post like that.  You may want to consider being a little more of a "fanboy", like me, who realizes this rookie made a mistake that he will learn from. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Do you have any other video evidence of Marchands reckless and dirty play so as we can compare it with Cookes long and heinous career ?
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

www.youtube.com

www.google.com

Feel free to do your own research.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If you hate Matt Cooke, you should also hate Brad Marchand. : Not saying it bothers you, just think that you are being way too hard on the kid.  He's 22 years old with 86 NHL games under his belt, he made a mistake and is paying for it.  He also has a long career ahead of him, so I think it's extremely unfair to compare him to a criminal like Cooke.  You use whatever rhetoric suits you, but I think put yourself in a box when you post like that.  You may want to consider being a little more of a "fanboy", like me, who realizes this rookie made a mistake that he will learn from. 
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

That's okay!  In my eyes, he can earn himself back to being respected.  In most eyes here, he has to continue to do dirty things to lose it.

The odds are we'll both end up somewhere in the middle.  Right now, after seeing him running around the ice, being an icehole, then throwing an elbow at the back of Umberger's head, I've had enough and want him gone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Nas, I doubt he'll be going anywhere soon so you might have a long wait.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE] Right now, after seeing him running around the ice, being an icehole, then throwing an elbow at the back of Umberger's head, I've had enough and want him gone.

Indeed:  I never understood the "it's not OK to dislike a guy or the way plays who wears your favourite team's uniform" mentality. I felt the same way recentlty with guys like Maxim Lapierre (wasn't a fan of his when he was in PEI, either, but at least PEI wasn't "my" team) and Mike Ribiero. And the approach you say makes sense: give them time to change, and if not, feel good if they get dealt (which I know I did in those 2 above cases, even though the Habs got less than zero--Jaane Ninimaa--for Ribiero).

Marchand's immensely talented. He also has a lot of DB tendencies, and that has been the case since Major Junior. It may change in the NHL, it may not....we'll see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I like the way Marchand plays. I'll give him a mulligan on the elbow.