Iginla hopes to remain with the Bruins longer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Re: Iginla hopes to remain with the Bruins longer

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think Iginla will be one and done, unless none of the newer, younger players seem ready to move into a top-6 role.

The Bruins have plenty of veterans at this point.  And one of their projected top-6 youngsters (Seguin) was just traded, so I think that in the coming years they will want to keep a top-6 spot open for youth.  I think it will be Iglina's that opens next year.

i don't see any up-and-comers in the B'S pipeline ready to come in a little over a year from now and do what Iggy's still going to be able to do....  this guy's still got at least two good years left in him....

Iggy wasn't signed because he's a veteran but because the B'S believe he can still score....

if he gets off to a good start B'S would be smart to lock Iggy up for an extra year or two....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think Iginla will be one and done, unless none of the newer, younger players seem ready to move into a top-6 role.

The Bruins have plenty of veterans at this point.  And one of their projected top-6 youngsters (Seguin) was just traded, so I think that in the coming years they will want to keep a top-6 spot open for youth.  I think it will be Iglina's that opens next year.

i don't see any up-and-comers in the B'S pipeline ready to come in a little over a year from now and do what Iggy's still going to be able to do....  this guy's still got at least two good years left in him....

Iggy wasn't signed because he's a veteran but because the B'S believe he can still score....

if he gets off to a good start B'S would be smart to lock Iggy up for an extra year or two....

^Right, but they signed him to a one year deal, not a two-year deal.  I am just reasoning as to why that is.

Neither you nor I, nor anyone else, has any idea what young forwards might develop into a possible top six guy 13 months from now.  Spooner? Fraser? Koko? Reilly? Griffith, Camper? Camara?  Each is unlikely, but the possibility that someone makes an AHL jump (Marchand style) is certainly possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Contact wise i agree with you bc evryone not named iggy is locked up.  I can see marchand being dealt.  He is gonna want large money.   If the cap increases a lot maybe he stays.  But the young players will make it easier to deal him.   Unfortunately i think this could be his last deal in boston. He will want 6m+.  

Your vendetta against long deals is showing again, shupe. Why would the Bruins deal Marchand when he's under contract at a very reasonable $4.5M cap hit for the next 4 years?  That deal buys two years of UFA time.  He can't even hold out for a re-negotiation because the CBA makes it impossible to re-do his deal even if he wins the Hart and Art Ross this year.  The only guys who will be locked up under current deals when Marchand's deal expires are Bergeron, Rask and Chara. 

Marchand is going to want to cash in at 29 on what will be his one big payday shot.  If he's playing the way he has the last two years - if he puts up a couple of 30 goal years in this stretch and is a clutch performer on Bergeron's wing, I think they'll get it done.  If he backslides into frat boy antics and his production drops, then maybe it's not a bad idea if he takes the best offer on the table, or that the Bruins deal him in advance.  In either case, I have no issue with the Bruins paying him market value if he's been a consistent second line winger for 7 years at that point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Right, but they signed him to a one year deal, not a two-year deal.  I am just reasoning as to why that is.

Neither you nor I, nor anyone else, has any idea what young forwards might develop into a possible top six guy 13 months from now.  Spooner? Fraser? Koko? Reilly? Griffith, Camper? Camara?  Each is unlikely, but the possibility that someone makes an AHL jump (Marchand style) is certainly possible.

Biggest thing is that he's a 35+, and that means two things - you don't want to sign him for more than a year because if he gets injured or fades or retires, you're stuck with his cap hit, but also you can pay him a base salary that's relatively low and then give him bonuses - effectively deferring a bit of cap hit to the next year.  You're better off paying him year by year if you can keep him that way - the way they did with Recchi. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Right, but they signed him to a one year deal, not a two-year deal.  I am just reasoning as to why that is.

Biggest thing is that he's a 35+, and that means two things - you don't want to sign him for more than a year because if he gets injured or fades or retires, you're stuck with his cap hit, but also you can pay him a base salary that's relatively low and then give him bonuses - effectively deferring a bit of cap hit to the next year.  You're better off paying him year by year if you can keep him that way - the way they did with Recchi. 

Right, thank you.  I knew there was a contract benefit to the 1-year deal (besides the obvious ones), but I couldn't recall the details.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

If Iggy can bring the additional leadership and key timely contributions that Recchi did, I would love to see him in Boston for a few years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Contact wise i agree with you bc evryone not named iggy is locked up.  I can see marchand being dealt.  He is gonna want large money.   If the cap increases a lot maybe he stays.  But the young players will make it easier to deal him.   Unfortunately i think this could be his last deal in boston. He will want 6m+.  

The Bruins have 50 signed contracts that expire before Marchand's does. Lets not put the cart before the horse - hundreds of different scenarios could play between now and when they even consider starting to negotiate a new contract with Marchand or trading him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

IF Iginla pots 30 goals next season, it will be difficult NOT offering him another shot...

Sections
Shortcuts