Iginla Watch-Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Iginla Watch-Part II

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Iginla had the odd moment vs the Bruins but to be fair Boston made the entire Pens team look ordinary.  I watched enough Flames games this year as part of HNIC's Saturday night back end of their double-header to see Iginla play pre-trade deadline to conclude this guy does not take shifts/games off.  I doubt we'll read posts in this regard as we did at times with Horton.

Rich, im a huge iggy fan.  I dont think he looked good for pitt the entire time.  I dont think they used him right, he was forced in at the deadline.  I think a structured system like boston is easier to play and more of his style of play.  Dk is a wizard, lucic is a beast and iggy can score.  I think his legs have slown but hes money in the bank for 30 and i will say he leads the team in goals.  

We should go bring morrow in for the 3rd line as well.  Lol. 

And he's durable, shupe.  441 straight games in the style he plays before the trade to Pittsburgh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so, the cap hit is 1.8. for this year the cap hit is 1.8, it might tack on money next year but the cap will be going up so whatever. Bergy will probably cost them an extra 1.5 and Seidenberg an extra 1, so whatever. 

Yes, clearly I didn't think my post through.  This may be a way to even-out the cap reduction of this year, by putting some of it only next.

However, I believe there is a cap on the bonus cushion of 7.5%, which this year is $4.8M.  Bruins will have to shed some bonuses?

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what this is, Dr. - Oh, you mean I'll have to pay Iginla some of his compensation next year instead of this cap strangled year?  Well, I guess if I have to.  Frankly, it's brilliant.

OK, so - I looked at the new CBA and, yes, there is a 7.5% cap on the bonus cushion.  Iginla, Krug and Hamilton, Svedberg and maybe Spooner or some other rook like Camara are the only bonus eligible players likely to see the roster.  If they all are on the roster, the total bonus potential would be about $6M.  That means the Bruins can spend $63.1M in regular salary without being at risk of exceeding the bonus cushion.  They also have the flexibility between now and I think the first game of the year to go 10% over the cap, so they don't have to make any decisions on Savard's LTIR to sign Rask yet.  They could also start the year with Krug in Providence and save the $800K bonus he could earn and let Bartkowski play.

Two other basic notes on this - bonuses count against the year they are earned unless the put you over the cap - then you're penalized against next year's cap, basically.  And once a bonus is impossible to earn, it no longer counts against the cap or availabe salary room.  So say Iginla gets $900K for every 20 games he plays and the full $3.7M if he plays all 82.  As soon as he misses a game, the potential hit drops $100K and that comes off the Bruins potential cap overage.  If he misses half the season, the Bruins would get $1.9M to play with because he can no longer reach two of the bonuses.

One of two things will likely have to happen - Savard will have to go on LTIR to make Rask's money fit at the deadline, or the Bruins will have to move a player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Iginla had the odd moment vs the Bruins but to be fair Boston made the entire Pens team look ordinary.  I watched enough Flames games this year as part of HNIC's Saturday night back end of their double-header to see Iginla play pre-trade deadline to conclude this guy does not take shifts/games off.  I doubt we'll read posts in this regard as we did at times with Horton.

Yes he does.  Be prepared for it.  But he also gets in a groove.  He's and older, waaaaay more accomplished and tougher version of NaHo.  I'll take it.

Same here.  And yeah, how many times have we seen Iginla get off to a slow start then part way through the season he starts to light it up regularly.  Then we'd hear chat about a decline in his skills mixed with trade talk.  Before you know it he's got 29 goals with more to come.  I don't seem to hear floating attached to his rep as we had with Horton even before he arrived in Boston, Book.  Had no idea.

Unlike Dez, I'm not going to reveal my source, but there are those in Calgary who thought he lost his desire over the last few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Unlike Dez, I'm not going to reveal my source, but there are those in Calgary who thought he lost his desire over the last few years.

Perhaps because the Flames seemed to be going nowhere?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Impressive stat:  Iginla, 12 points in 15 playoff games with only 15:45 minutes per game.  That last one's the big one.  He wasn't used much.  He can expect about 17-18 minutes with the Bruins, and probably always on a top line.  He should be more impressive than last year stats-wise, and he was solid then at .75 ppg during the season and better in the playoffs.  With more ice time and a better defined role, I don't think it's a stretch to say he is at least as good as last year.  25-30g, 30-35a, 55-65 pts seems like a very reasonable expectation.  That potentially makes him an upgrade on Horton.  Older, but without the concussion and shoulder issues (two of the worst problems you can have).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes he does.  Be prepared for it.  But he also gets in a groove.  He's and older, waaaaay more accomplished and tougher version of NaHo.  I'll take it.

Same here.  And yeah, how many times have we seen Iginla get off to a slow start then part way through the season he starts to light it up regularly.  Then we'd hear chat about a decline in his skills mixed with trade talk.  Before you know it he's got 29 goals with more to come.  I don't seem to hear floating attached to his rep as we had with Horton even before he arrived in Boston, Book.  Had no idea.

[/QUOTE]

In my defense, I never spill the beans on any information that he wants kept secret Book. He told me I can go to the draft with the Stars contingent in Philly next year. I can't wait. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Iginla down below the goal line with Hamilton up high and Eriksson on the half-wall during the PP ?

I'm happy and I know this becuase i'm drooling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Iginla down below the goal line with Hamilton up high and Eriksson on the half-wall during the PP ?

What do you think, San?  Krug threading them through from the left point like he did vs Lundqvist?  BTW, I'm mad intrigued with Fraser - because of you.  "One tough customer" and he can score?  Brilliant!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

What do you think, San?  Krug threading them through from the left point like he did vs Lundqvist?  BTW, I'm mad intrigued with Fraser - because of you.  "One tough customer" and he can score?  Brilliant!

RHO, he scored 37 goals in the AHL after having a career high of 36 in junior. Late bloomer it would seem. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In my defense, I never spill the beans on any information that he wants kept secret Book. He told me I can go to the draft with the Stars contingent in Philly next year. I can't wait. 

No defense necessary - I don't think anyone here doubts the contact, and it's not like you go all Rusty about it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so, the cap hit is 1.8. for this year the cap hit is 1.8, it might tack on money next year but the cap will be going up so whatever. Bergy will probably cost them an extra 1.5 and Seidenberg an extra 1, so whatever. 

Yes, clearly I didn't think my post through.  This may be a way to even-out the cap reduction of this year, by putting some of it only next.

However, I believe there is a cap on the bonus cushion of 7.5%, which this year is $4.8M.  Bruins will have to shed some bonuses?

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what this is, Dr. - Oh, you mean I'll have to pay Iginla some of his compensation next year instead of this cap strangled year?  Well, I guess if I have to.  Frankly, it's brilliant.

OK, so - I looked at the new CBA and, yes, there is a 7.5% cap on the bonus cushion.  Iginla, Krug and Hamilton, Svedberg and maybe Spooner or some other rook like Camara are the only bonus eligible players likely to see the roster.  If they all are on the roster, the total bonus potential would be about $6M.  That means the Bruins can spend $63.1M in regular salary without being at risk of exceeding the bonus cushion.  They also have the flexibility between now and I think the first game of the year to go 10% over the cap, so they don't have to make any decisions on Savard's LTIR to sign Rask yet.  They could also start the year with Krug in Providence and save the $800K bonus he could earn and let Bartkowski play.

Two other basic notes on this - bonuses count against the year they are earned unless the put you over the cap - then you're penalized against next year's cap, basically.  And once a bonus is impossible to earn, it no longer counts against the cap or availabe salary room.  So say Iginla gets $900K for every 20 games he plays and the full $3.7M if he plays all 82.  As soon as he misses a game, the potential hit drops $100K and that comes off the Bruins potential cap overage.  If he misses half the season, the Bruins would get $1.9M to play with because he can no longer reach two of the bonuses.

One of two things will likely have to happen - Savard will have to go on LTIR to make Rask's money fit at the deadline, or the Bruins will have to move a player.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent take Book, great stuff.

Sections
Shortcuts