IIHF suspends Yakupov

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

IIHF suspends Yakupov

The IIHF has prevented Yakupov from continuing to play in the KHL.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/09/26/sp-nhl-oilers-yakupov-khl-suspension.html

Looks like they're saying he either plays for Sarnia or no one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: IIHF suspends Yakupov

This looks like an open-and-shut case to me. He's a North American player so he belongs to Sarnia or the Oil. NO Oil at the moment, obviously, so the Sting it is.

If I'm advising Hockey Canada (they should be calling any minute) there is no way I open that Pandora's box and let a junior eligible kid just go play pro in Russia or anywhere else under these circumstances. Not a good precedent at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

If I am him I'd say pay me how much they are or I'll sit out the year or play in the sel or some other european league that doesn't take orders from the NHL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

If I am him I'd say pay me how much they are or I'll sit out the year or play in the sel or some other european league that doesn't take orders from the NHL.

Taking orders from the NHL ? Ummmmm you need to read the article. There is this hockey federation called the IIHF. Ever hear of it ? 

Your choice unless the Sting allows the transfer of his rights to the KHL team would be beer league or Sarnia. 

Sorry, no $$$$$ bidding war for you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is pretty ridiculous.  He's 18 and should be in the NHL right now.  The NHL isn't playing, so he's forced to go play against the kids again.  The IIHF is so dumb sometimes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't think it's the IIHF that's the problem in this case. It sounds to me like Hockey Canada won't play along. If they say it's okay for the kid to play in the KHL duting the lockout then the paperwork gets done and the IIHF is happy. They IIHF is just the cop enforcing the law. At least that's how I see it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'm guessing he makes his way to the KHL ( sounds like Sarnia's coach has no problem letting him go ) . But without the IIHF, players would be jumping all over the place when agreements are in place. 

The IIHF is good to have for a case like this. They honour team's player rights.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

This is pretty ridiculous.  He's 18 and should be in the NHL right now.  The NHL isn't playing, so he's forced to go play against the kids again.  The IIHF is so dumb sometimes.

So an 18 year old shouldn't play with kids but a 15 year old shouldn't either? So then only 16-17 year olds should be playing in juniors?

With that being said, I don't think Yakpov would benefit by playing for Sarnia, same as I don't know that Hamilton is benefitting from playing for Niagara.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

So an 18 year old shouldn't play with kids but a 15 year old shouldn't either? So then only 16-17 year olds should be playing in juniors?

With that being said, I don't think Yakpov would benefit by playing for Sarnia, same as I don't know that Hamilton is benefitting from playing for Niagara.

[/QUOTE]

The Oilers would prefer Yak play in the KHL rather than go back to juniors.

My guess is that Hockey Canada doesn't want to set a precedent that allows drafted junior eligibles to play elsewhere at their discretion other than in the juniors or with the team that drafted them.

I think Hockey Canada should make an exception in this case with it clearly stated that the lockout is the sole basis for the exception. That should cover their a s s.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

OHL is just making themselfs look bad to future russian players that can just stay in russia and develop instead of coming over the pond and getting paid nothing. And if yak cant play over the pond i dont see how koko was able to to jump ship to the khl when he was playing in the OHL last season as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Alex Khokalachev is junior eligible and playing in Russia.... Why not Yakupov - he's easilly the better player of the two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Biss, I don't think anyone will argue against that point haha.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Khokolachev did JUST turn 19 though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Who said 15 year olds shouldn't play in juniors?

Who said 18 year olds shouldn't play in juniors?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Couldn't find anything on that age limit if your 19 then the iihf has to stop him from playing. Or I could see yak suing for targeting just him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What does his age have to do with anything? He has a signed contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

What does his age have to do with anything? He has a signed contract.

Age is important here because if he were 17, obviously he'd be with Sarnia.  Because he's 18, he would most likely be starting in Edmonton.  Because Edmonton isn't playing right now, he should be able to go play for any other team he wishes, not be forced to return to a league he's clearly way too good for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Then he should not have signed a contract that took him beyond the age of 18. I get your point NAS, but at what point should we let signatures be meaningless?/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If he's going to play in the CHL, he must play for Sarnia.  That shouldn't keep him from playing in a different league on a different continent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's not the point.  It's not about "what's best for his development."  It's about teams having agreeements with players that affect their business and, frankly, 20+ other kids.  Sarnia doesn't think they would benefit from having a disgruntled prima dona, but Niagara will be a better team with Hamilton.  Barrie's a better team with Schiefele.  Ottawa's better with Ceci.  The list goes on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Ya was just saying that koko was 19 so they might have let him slide out his agreement to play in the khl. But I couldn't find any info on it. As for yak I would be surprised if they don't let him play in the khl. I heard that his ohl team has already said they would allow him a transfer sheet he just has to fill it out. Just makes the chl look bad to future Russian players. I can honestly say that if I was Russian I would just stay in the khl you will make a little less money but when you start thinking about taxes and being away from home the khl starts looking good. Plus in the khl you get to pick your team while in the NHL you could get stuck in a crap hockey market like Nashville or Florida. When you start factoring everything in you would make more an be better off staying in your home country.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Who said 15 year olds shouldn't play in juniors?

Who said 18 year olds shouldn't play in juniors?

You did. When you said that McDavid deserves special treatment, which indicates that he is not ready for the league and therefore should be treated differently.

You did when you said that Hamilton should be in the NHL and not hitting 15 year olds.

At least that's what I got out of your argument for why Hamilton shouldn't have lit-up McDavid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Well, Lambda, you are wrong on both accounts.  I didn't say 15 or 18 year olds shouldn't play in the OHL.

That's pretty stupid and careless on your part.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Common sense prevails and Yak gets to play in the KHL which is how it should be given the circumstances. I understand Hockey Canada's reflex to protect the CHL but it should have taken them all of 2 minutes to figure this out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Yak got cleared...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8438127/nail-yakupov-okd-hockey-canada-khl-play

Sections
Shortcuts