I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM!

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM!:
    In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : No, because he never does it.  Paille, on the other hand finds himself, on occasion, in front of the net with the puck on his stick.  It ends badly.   We have plenty of guys who can kill penalties. 
    Posted by scooter244

Paille in front of the net with the puck is a bonus.  He's not on the team to score.  He's a defensive forward.

Do you want a second rate penalty kill?  Paille is awesome shorthanded.  You know what happens when you try to put guys on the PK that don't belong there?  Byron Bitz on the PK, that's what happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : Paille in front of the net with the puck is a bonus.  He's not on the team to score.  He's a defensive forward. Do you want a second rate penalty kill?  Paille is awesome shorthanded.  You know what happens when you try to put guys on the PK that don't belong there?  Byron Bitz on the PK, that's what happens.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

43 games with Paille in the line-up Bruins PK was 27-134 for 20.15%.  39 games without Paille...16-125 for 12.8%.
    Not sure they missed him that much.  As I said, plenty of guys on the Bruins who can kill penalties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : 43 games with Paille in the line-up Bruins PK was 27-134 for 20.15%.  39 games without Paille...16-125 for 12.8%. Not sure they missed him that much.  As I said, plenty of guys on the Bruins who can kill penalties.
    Posted by scooter244

Those stats don't tell anything.  Who were the opponents?  What were the situations?  Who else was out there?

I'll go ahead and say this:  Daniel Paille is an incredible player on the PK.  Those who remember his one man penalty kill routine in the playoffs last season will agree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : Those stats don't tell anything.  Who were the opponents?  What were the situations?  Who else was out there? I'll go ahead and say this:  Daniel Paille is an incredible player on the PK.  Those who remember his one man penalty kill routine in the playoffs last season will agree.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Then why is he trailing Bergeron, Kelly, Peverley, and Campbell in forwards TOI on the PK?  If I'm Julien and he's that good, I'd have him out there way more than that.   
    He's a good PK man.  He's kept an NHL job somehow.   But, there are good PK guys who have hands attached to their wrists. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Would still love to see a scoring winger brought in. I know it probably won't happen now because of how early the season is but at the deadline if the scoring continues to be a issue you would think PC would make this his top priority. We have the cap space if one becomes availible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : I can find you three guys in a local beer league that can do that. The AHL is chalk full of guys like that.  That is setting the bar way too low.  Nothing wrong with spreading out the ice time.  Never a bad idea.  Do you really think it is detrimental to Horton to play 2-3 less minutes a game?  If you need the goals he plays more.  If you can get scoring production out of the low minute guys how can you not be better off? The only reason not to do it is the salary cap. For this year anyway we don't have to worry about that.
    Posted by scooter244

No, you can't.  Which is why these 4th line guys still get paid a million a year.

C'mon Scooter, be serious.  You can't try to have 4 scoring lines that all get even playing time.  Especially with the salary cap.  The Bruins are extremely fortunate to have three lines that can score and play a lot of minutes each.  That's why they are good without having anyone in the top 30 in league scoring last year. 

In a salary cap league you have to have cheap players on your 4th line.  Scorers aren't cheap.  Therefore, the smart and resourceful thing to do is to have a 4th line of inexpensive guys who still contribute by playing important roles for the team.  Paille is an absolutely perfect example of this.  He was outstanding on the PK in the playoffs last year, and if the PK was not as good as it was, the Bruins lose, plain and simple.

It's time to let go of the fantasy of 4 scoring lines, Santa Claus, and unicorns.  This team is very well built.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : No, you can't.  Which is why these 4th line guys still get paid a million a year. C'mon Scooter, be serious.  You can't try to have 4 scoring lines that all get even playing time.  Especially with the salary cap.  The Bruins are extremely fortunate to have three lines that can score and play a lot of minutes each.  That's why they are good without having anyone in the top 30 in league scoring last year.  In a salary cap league you have to have cheap players on your 4th line.  Scorers aren't cheap.  Therefore, the smart and resourceful thing to do is to have a 4th line of inexpensive guys who still contribute by playing important roles for the team.  Paille is an absolutely perfect example of this.  He was outstanding on the PK in the playoffs last year, and if the PK was not as good as it was, the Bruins lose, plain and simple. It's time to let go of the fantasy of 4 scoring lines, Santa Claus, and unicorns.  This team is very well built.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I never said that. I said you can upgade the fourth line so it puts the puck in the net on occsion, and you can increase thier minutes withour fear.  Why wouldn't you try to get as close to total balance you can?
    Campbell is worth keeping, plays as well if not better than Paille on the PK, takes faceoffs and fights. So that leaves Thronton and Paille as the needed upgrades. Thornton is obvious, Paille isn't. Paille doesn't provide a unique skill set. There are many players who can kill penalties and play a strong defensive game. The Bruins have there share. This aspect of the game is easy to teach.  
    With the Cap money you don't think we can upgrade the overall team (which could mean somebody of the current roster assuming the 4th line role)?  Getting that scoring winger, moves one of the current group off the top three lines.  Maybe it's Kelly, maybe it's Poulliot. Either of those would upgrade the 4th lines scoring potential. This of course is assuming we deal for picks and don't loose a roster player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : I never said that. I said you can upgade the fourth line so it puts the puck in the net on occsion, and you can increase thier minutes withour fear.  Why wouldn't you try to get as close to total balance you can? Campbell is worth keeping, plays as well if not better than Paille on the PK, takes faceoffs and fights. So that leaves Thronton and Paille as the needed upgrades. Thornton is obvious, Paille isn't. Paille doesn't provide a unique skill set. There are many players who can kill penalties and play a strong defensive game. The Bruins have there share. This aspect of the game is easy to teach.   With the Cap money you don't think we can upgrade the overall team (which could mean somebody of the current roster assuming the 4th line role)?  Getting that scoring winger, moves one of the current group off the top three lines.  Maybe it's Kelly, maybe it's Poulliot. Either of those would upgrade the 4th lines scoring potential. This of course is assuming we deal for picks and don't loose a roster player.
    Posted by scooter244

Thornton had 10 goals last year.  Let me know how many 4th line wingers with comparable minutes had 10+ goals?  That's not even my point though, because I would prefer solid role players on the 4th line, over unskilled players who happen to score some.

Just because we have some salary cap money right now is no reason to go and spend it upgrading a very serviceable 4th line, for several reasons:

1. Injuries.  As the season goes on, we may want to use that money to fill much bigger holes that come about due to injuries.
    2. The Bruins have a bunch of core guys they need to re-sign in upcoming years.  Can you imagine not being able to do that because they have any extra money tied up in 4th line upgrades?
    3. This 4th line actually played a meaningful role in winning a Stanley Cup last year.  They are a reliable, known entity.  They were a better 4th line than our competitors on the way to the Stanley Cup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : Thornton had 10 goals last year.  Let me know how many 4th line wingers with comparable minutes had 10+ goals?  That's not even my point though, because I would prefer solid role players on the 4th line, over unskilled players who happen to score some. Just because we have some salary cap money right now is no reason to go and spend it upgrading a very serviceable 4th line, for several reasons: 1. Injuries.  As the season goes on, we may want to use that money to fill much bigger holes that come about due to injuries. 2. The Bruins have a bunch of core guys they need to re-sign in upcoming years.  Can you imagine not being able to do that because they have any extra money tied up in 4th line upgrades? 3. This 4th line actually played a meaningful role in winning a Stanley Cup last year.  They are a reliable, known entity.  They were a better 4th line than our competitors on the way to the Stanley Cup.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Fletch, the 10 goals was an anomaly.
    I do agree with the effect this could have going forward.  This is a one year window.  When next years salaries go on the books I'm gong to love Paille again. (never gonna love Thornton) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: I'm on the first line. No! I AM! NO I AM! : Fletch, the 10 goals was an anomaly. I do agree with the effect this could have going forward.  This is a one year window.  When next years salaries go on the books I'm gong to love Paille again. (never gonna love Thornton) 
    Posted by scooter244

Agreed, no question.  I just think that the effort to have the 4th line score a little more may bring about unintended consequences, and more expensive ones to boot.  I like three scoring lines, and then a cheap, hungry 4th line that competes, hits, fights, and kills penalties.  They're off to a slow start, but I think we'll get that from the current 4th line and hopefully Thornton will sub out some games for whoever is hungriest in Providence.

Sections
Shortcuts