I'm raising a Sabres fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm raising a Sabres fan

My three-year old son today actually told me he hated black and gold. Bears aren't cool. Bison are cool. And he wants a Miller sweater.

I'm hooked. How do I fix this? Can I, or do I just have to deal with Buffalo for the rest of my life? Parenting advice please ( my Habs fan brother has a Leafs fan son - I'd like to not repeat my brother's life) I may be to blame for this as I took him to my parent's neighbour's bison farm this year.

Oops.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: I'm raising a Sabres fan

Try this:

http://find.healthlinkbc.ca/search.aspx?d=SV053256

Other than that, see if you can get one of those Men in Black pens?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Try some negative reinforcement. Have a friend dress up in a buffalo costume (perhaps wearing a sabres sweater) and pay a visit to your house where he/she will then eat all your son's favorite snacks, mess up his room and trot out of the house with his favorite toy. You will of course track down the rude and thieving critter and retrieve the toy and explain to the boy that "This is why we HATE the Buffalo Sabres around here!"  I realize this is a bit over the top and may briefly traumatize your son but I believe the situation calls for it. The alternative is unthinkable.

Books solution sounds good, too. Nice and clean but could be expensive :P

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Aw those cute little young uns, never too young to be traumatized.  Could show him these snaps of a grizzly pursuing an injured buffalo.

Or if you really want to get ugly you could show the kid a replay of the last Buffalo Cup final appearance.

Or bring him to Buffalo, that could be the most traumatic experience of all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you go with WTL's plan, make sure the evil Sabre is wearing a Miller jersey, and put on a Lucic jersey.  When retrieving the stolen items, be sure to hit the evil Sabre so hard he feels compelled to hang around lockers for the next 24 hours telling people what a piece of sh-- you are.  Sons love it when someone calls their mother a piece of sh--.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

It is always good to have a little rival between son and father when watching hockey. Sometimes being a father means letting your son make his own choices could be worst imagine your son wearing a Habs jersey. It is always nice to see our son mentor us but some cases they want a change. Even we are saying as a father in our head why not the bruins boy why!!!!!!!!!.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: I'm raising a Sabres fan:
    If you go with WTL's plan, make sure the evil Sabre is wearing a Miller jersey, and put on a Lucic jersey.  When retrieving the stolen items, be sure to hit the evil Sabre so hard he feels compelled to hang around lockers for the next 24 hours telling people what a piece of sh-- you are.  Sons love it when someone calls their mother a piece of sh--.
    Posted by Bookboy007

LOL Nice addition to the plan...I seriously hope red goes with this and reports back to us all how it went.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Feed him bison burgers for a month, that should do it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Better stop it quick.  My Dad is a Yankees fan and a Giants fan (football), but since my brother and I grew up in Mass, he grudgingly took us to all the Boston teams when we were kids (and my Mom's from Groton).  He might regret it because there was no looking back for me.

I'm raising two little ones in Denver and I've been pushing the Boston teams pretty hard, but I'll settle for them rooting for the local Denver teams if they want.  Anything else will be ridiculed.

More importantly, how on earth are bison cooler than bears??  What kind books you got this kid reading?  Is the wife going soft on him?? ;)

With some of the sage advice above you really can't go wrong...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Bring him back to the bison farm and put him to work for a few weeks. Then tell him the bears are self sufficient and occasionally buy video games for their friends. Once a year, mail him a game, signed, the bear. 60 bucks a years is a small price to pay for not having to see a sabres jersey for 15 years! Or just show him a picture of Tyler Myers, that should scare him off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Feed him bison burgers for a month, that should do it!
    Posted by islamorada

The Europeans brought domesticated "beef cattle" to North America that  grazed  in the open on various grasses and plants. Today the same animals are fed corn, anti-biotic, growth hormones,  etc.The buffalo was the indigenous specie here. It could withstand the harshest environments while eating what nature provided them. I know of two buffalo ranches in N.E. PA that provide delicious low fat, low cholesterol steaks and burgers. Now if the lad was a Phoenix fan, coyote burgers would fix him!Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

show him "the Bear and the Gang" clips.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Simple things like:

"The Sabres are bad people, they are very mean to old people, like your grandparents"

"Sabres players don't like puppies.  They often feed them to their dragons"

"Sabres do not like little kids.  Small children often go missing when attending their games (see dragons)"

That should do the trick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Watchtower, as an retired history teacher I understand the role of the bison.  I actually buy them ocassionally as they are much taster than cattle, albeit expensive.  Coyote burgers is a better idea.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Perhaps a little Clockwork Orange experiment is in order? Red, at least your kid is young enough to change his mind. My three boys hate hockey and are entering their teen years!!! There is still time for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Well, red....Looks like you came to the right place for help.
    There is some awesome advice above!
    I think your problem is fixed ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Show him pictures of black bear cubs. If he doesn't think they are adorable disown him.

Ha kidding about the last part, but bear cubs are way cooler than bison. I mean bison are lame. There's really nothing to like about the Sabres lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, now for some serious advice.  No lies and no deception and I believe it can all be accomplished at that Boston Pizza you guys have (and ironically we don't).  Let's eat Buffalo food today!  Buffalo wings with bleu cheese.  Bleu cheese & spicey are age acquired tastes.  I recall having bleu cheese when I was a kid and thought it was some kind of bad prank gone even wronger.  Those wings and bleu cheese will probably come back just as fast as they go in.  So far so good.  Now let's eat Boston food, and if I know the palate of your basic 3 year old the Boston pizza will be a hit, and anything else off the menu he likes is Boston.

Clean up the kid vomit and done deal.

Or else maybe one of those electric dog collars and zap him on anything to do with Buffalo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

OK, now for some serious advice.  No lies and no deception and I believe it can all be accomplished at that Boston Pizza you guys have (and ironically we don't).  Let's eat Buffalo food today!  Buffalo wings with bleu cheese.  Bleu cheese & spicey are age acquired tastes.  I recall having bleu cheese when I was a kid and thought it was some kind of bad prank gone even wronger.  Those wings and bleu cheese will probably come back just as fast as they go in.  So far so good.  Now let's eat Boston food, and if I know the palate of your basic 3 year old the Boston pizza will be a hit, and anything else off the menu he likes is Boston. Clean up the kid vomit and done deal. Or else maybe one of those electric dog collars and zap him on anything to do with Buffalo.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Too risky. One of mine at age 3 loved buffalo wings. The little freak.
    The zappy collar is good though. lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Has he been to a pro game yet? If not, better make the first one in Boston or at minimum Winnipeg. That'll hook him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Red, Tim Thomas would tell you that raising a child in a non-traditional family results in Buffalo Sabers fans. I thought that was obvious.

Good thing he's still young, lots of time to reprogram him. I don't blame him for falling in love with the live animals, sounds like he needs to see some bear cubs. Don't indulge his love of bison, for the good of us all!

In Response to I'm raising a Sabres fan:
    My three-year old son today actually told me he hated black and gold. Bears aren't cool. Bison are cool. And he wants a Miller sweater. I'm hooked. How do I fix this? Can I, or do I just have to deal with Buffalo for the rest of my life? Parenting advice please ( my Habs fan brother has a Leafs fan son - I'd like to not repeat my brother's life) I may be to blame for this as I took him to my parent's neighbour's bison farm this year. Oops.
    Posted by red75

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

When he throws a tantrum show him footage of Lindy Ruff so he knows what a baby crying looks like...He'll come around.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

At least your son will end up liking hockey. I tried to get my son to like hockey but he has no interest in it what so ever and it kills me, not liking hockey is foreign to me. For him it's all baseball & football. Thank God he loves the Sox and Pats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

At least your son will end up liking hockey. I tried to get my son to like hockey but he has no interest in it what so ever and it kills me, not liking hockey is foreign to me. For him it's all baseball & football. Thank God he loves the Sox and Pats.
    Posted by stan17

Keep working on him...maybe he'll come around. My son is the lone boy and his 2 sisters and his mom all play. Even though I play he thought it was more of a girls sport until he was about 10. He figured my wife made me play. lol. He's in high school now and plays goal.

Sections
Shortcuts