I'm so confused as to what they're doing with Hamilton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I'm so confused as to what they're doing with Hamilton

I thought they were resting him because he had played so much hockey this season. CJ even said something to that effect. I think he's been good enough to warrant top 4 minutes, not 9th floor minutes. What is going on here? Is it just because he's a rookie? Let the kid play, if he stinks it up in game one well then that's why you picked up Redden

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: I'm so confused as to what they're doing with Hamilton

I think they've seen some parts of his game that tell them he isn't quite ready for the playoffs. I bet we do see him suit up before all is said and done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

From what I have seen, Hamilton has performed extremely well for a rookie defenseman. He has only gotten better over the course of the season. So, as to why they are benching him now is a bit of a mystery.

He could easily replace McQuaid- who has been struggling- or Redden- who is still a question mark- in the current lineup.

I'm hoping that they actually have a plan to use him at some point, because having him sit out is not helping him or the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

This is such a nice problem to have!

But I don't know what they're doing with Hamilton either.

IMO he's their #1 PP defenseman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

I believe if it hasnt been already stated elsewhere that Claude is confused with the seventh player(defenceman) award.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Hamilton is basically the only regular D-man with any real offensive upside, hence CJ doesn't trust him. Meanwhile, guys like McQuaid continue to play without doing much at all. Our D is real slow and predictable. The younger guys that actually have the skill to skate with the puck (Bart and Hamilton) are only gonna get better given the chance. I'd hate to be a young guy playing for a coach like CJ.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

sorry, I didn't see this post so I started a similar one when I read that our Yeti friend would also be sitting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Time will tell if CJ is making the right move or not.

Either the veteran presence in the back end will make him a genius or the lack of offensive skill with the D will prove to be his undoing....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"IMO he's their #1 PP defenseman"

This doesn't matter to the best 5 on 5 team in hockey!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Time will tell if CJ is making the right move or not.

Either the veteran presence in the back end will make him a genius or the lack of offensive skill with the D will prove to be his undoing....

If he is going the way of Redden, why wouldnt he have inserted him in sooner and got him more reps......I dont have a problem with that unless it was to pick up the nuances of the reversing the puck to your d-partner in our zone .....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

McQuaid's size will be very important against the Leafs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He'll get his ice, especially if the Bruins have trouble scoring.

I honestly think the deciding factor here is pairings.  Clearly, the Disco Cedferno will play with the German - that's just logical.  That leaves Ference with Boychuk and McQuaid with Redden.  Any of those four you think would be a good pairing for Hamilton?  Kid has had either Cedfano or Seidenberg beside him for almost all of his shifts (there have been exceptions; maybe those exceptions are part of why he's in a tie tomorrow).

But all that won't matter much if the Bruins are losing 2-1 games.  You'll see him on the third pairing in place of McQuaid, with Redden, and on the PP in place of Jagr with JJ moving down low. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to golden9x2's comment:

If he is going the way of Redden, why wouldnt he have inserted him in sooner and got him more reps......I dont have a problem with that unless it was to pick up the nuances of the reversing the puck to your d-partner in our zone .....

Only CJ can answer that.

It should be no surprise that he is sitting the kids in favour of the vets. Redden has been pretty good in the few games he has played....McQuaid, not so much. He may be on a short leash.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

I think so too but McQ has never been quite right all season with the blood clot, shoulder problem and I hope he doesnt bite off more than he can chew which if 100% healthy wouldnt be an issue but at 73%......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

In response to golden9x2's comment:

Only CJ can answer that.

It should be no surprise that he is sitting the kids in favour of the vets. Redden has been pretty good in the few games he has played....McQuaid, not so much. He may be on a short leash.

Redden to me has been more than a pleasant surprise.....still think there has to be a way of getting both him and Hamilton in there....Ference?...Boychuk?....I know, I know...the Leafs newly found aggressive approach......I am sure there will be a time, place etc. for all the defenceman corps(sans Johnson hopefully) to play a part in these playoffs...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

i think most of us want redden out and hamilton in 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I think you'd be surprised at to how many would prefer Redden over Hamilton in the playoffs this year.

I know I would. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Redden is a vet with a wealth of playoff experience and decent offensive instincts.

I can see why CJ would play him over Hamilton....for now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Hamilton is basically the only regular D-man with any real offensive upside, hence CJ doesn't trust him. Meanwhile, guys like McQuaid continue to play without doing much at all. Our D is real slow and predictable. The younger guys that actually have the skill to skate with the puck (Bart and Hamilton) are only gonna get better given the chance. I'd hate to be a young guy playing for a coach like CJ.   

Why doesnt Boychuck's offensive game get any love on this forum?  I love how Boychuck is selective about when (but absolutely willing) to jump into the play.

Just saying,

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If Hamilton is in the press box, I absolutely hope its Boychuck on the PP

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Why doesnt Boychuck's offensive game get any love on this forum?  I love how Boychuck is selective about when (but absolutely willing) to jump into the play.

His 52 career points over 246 games don't really scream offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to mxt's comment:

Just saying,

ya. he jumps into the play, gets behind the goal line, hits someone, maybe creates a turnover, gets the puck.....and then fires it blindly through the slot where nobody is and sends it back behind tuukka.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

This really isn't a surprise for anyone that has watched CJ operate. He'll always take the vet over the rookie...100 times out of 100.

I like Redden just fine. I just think McQ has been way off his game. If any DMan were to sit, I'd prefer it to be him.

...and who needs offense or semblance of a powerplay anyways? : O

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Redden is a vet with a wealth of playoff experience and decent offensive instincts.

I can see why CJ would play him over Hamilton....for now.

This all the way.  If someone is stinking it up after a couple of games they will toss Hamilton is.

Also I think McQuaid is alot more defensively responsible than some realize.