In game 7, why was Chara drinking coke...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StJohnsbruinsfan. Show StJohnsbruinsfan's posts

In game 7, why was Chara drinking coke...?

Just curious. I was watching CBC and it showed Chara on the bench drinking Coke.
    Thought it was very strange. and kind of funny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: In game 7, why was Chara drinking coke...?

In Response to In game 7, why was Chara drinking coke...?:
    Just curious. I was watching CBC and it showed Chara on the bench drinking Coke. Thought it was very strange. and kind of funny.
    Posted by St.johnsbruinsfan

I didn't see it, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it were gatorade or some other energy drink mix in a coke bottle.  Maybe some advertising gig with coke.  Maybe it was milk of magnesia or pepto bismol and he didn't want the news to get out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StJohnsbruinsfan. Show StJohnsbruinsfan's posts

Heres the link

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StJohnsbruinsfan. Show StJohnsbruinsfan's posts

Perhaps the man has a bad coke addiction...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

He spent Game Two in the hospital dehydrated.  Duh.  He was sick.  Does Lucic have the same thing?  Krejci?  Nobody says a damned thing this time of year, understandably, but why or how could Chara miss Game Two and how could Lucic move the way he has been the whole series.  And you're worrying about what Chara was drinking on the bench?  Come on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Given that Chara is a total workout freak and very careful about what he eats and drinks to the extreme, I find that a little strange.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StJohnsbruinsfan. Show StJohnsbruinsfan's posts

Not so much worried. Just find it a little odd. I figured drinking coke would actually be worse for dehydration. Am I wrong?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Better coke in a bottle...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Yea and my wife said doesn't coke dehydrate you?

Maybe it's caffeine he wanted?

Anyhow there must be an upside . I'm very curious as of why a health freak would drink Coke. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm sure he wanted the caffine.no big deal

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Actually bicyclists and other long term endurance athletes will drink flat coke to delay the onset of muscle fatigue.

Water+sugar+a bit of salt+caffiene= energy. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if this was recommended as a result of his dehydration.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

As folks have already noted regarding his supreme fitness, there must have been a method to his "madness."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: In game 7, why was Chara drinking coke...?:
    Actually bicyclists and other long term endurance athletes will drink flat coke to delay the onset of muscle fatigue. Water+sugar+a bit of salt+caffiene= energy. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if this was recommended as a result of his dehydration.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

I would be willing to bet that's what it was.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticBear68. Show CelticBear68's posts

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-nutrition-is-coca-cola-an-effective-sports-drink-713

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I compete in triathlons and they always have coke at the water tables towards the end of the races.  That syrup in soda is a great source of very fast energy, if you've burned all of the calories in your system.  A lot of endurance athletes use it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Is there any medical condition that will require sudden sugar absorbtion.  I am just saying who knows the truth?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Is there any medical condition that will require sudden sugar absorbtion.  I am just saying who knows the truth?
    Posted by lucaooo

I don't think that's it.  Endurance athletes drink coke all the time during competition.  This is not some out of the ordinary mystery.  It's a quick way to get energy when your bonking.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

You have to admit that it is the first time whe see Chara drink coka cola!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, pretty simple explanation a la ILH and Fletch; add on that Chara lost some weight due to illness and one of the broadcasts mentioned that he hadn't put it back on yet.  He needs the calories for multiple reasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I always get a kick how stuff like this is such a big deal. he was sick, I'm sure he lost some weight and was fatigued. Athletes bodies need so much and sometimes their bodies tell them what they need during a game. I remember when Mark Sanchez was seen eating a hot dog on the sideline, people were making such a big deal of it, the kid was hungry! No big deal, some of sit at our desks and snack.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

He probably wanted the sugar for an energy boost.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He likes the taste.  You can't beat the real thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

He likes the taste.  You can't beat the real thing.
    Posted by OatesCam

I'm surprised he didn't special order some Kofola.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

I lost a part of my intestine(ileum) in Southeast Asia years ago.To this day nothing settles the old gastrointestinal tract like a Coke. As an athlete, Chara my find the syrup along with the caffeine and sugars beneficial right now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

When I first saw Chara drinking the Coke during the game, I couldn't see the label and wondered what energy drink was that dark.  It looked like a Coke bottle, but the idea of Chara drinking liquid junk food was so inconceivable that I thought it had to be something else.

The explanations in this thread make perfect sense.  I'm surprised that it wasn't Mexican Coke with real cane sugar instead of American Coke with corn syrup.  I would be willing to bet that Chara doesn't have much corn syrup in his regular diet.

Sections
Shortcuts