In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin

I have posted several times that it was a bunch of bunk that Seguin is a natural center.  My argument was a year and a half of Junior doesn't define your career, and he could thrive on the wing with the right players.  After watching a few games with him at center, I must admit that he belongs in the middle.  He does so many good things with some open ice, and at this point he's not strong enough along the wall.  So, Center it is.  Now, the trick is to find the talent to compliment him without messing up what we have established already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

Re: In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin

If you're going to do it in the spirit of The Don, then wear a loud suit and keep ragging on MacLean.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin:
    [QUOTE]I have posted several times that it was a bunch of bunk that Seguin is a natural center.  My argument was a year and a half of Junior doesn't define your career, and he could thrive on the wing with the right players.  After watching a few games with him at center, I must admit that he belongs in the middle.  He does so many good things with some open ice, and at this point he's not strong enough along the wall.  So, Center it is.  Now, the trick is to find the talent to compliment him without messing up what we have established already.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    Scooter, you'll be dissappointed to find out CJ plans on moving him back to the wing when DK returns. I still love the idea of him lining up with Marchand and Bergy. Pevs can play with Kelly again on the 3rd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think there is no question that his skills are meant to be used at center, but he's still good as a wing. The question is more are the Bruins better with him at center. He's playing well so he's going to play lots regardless, and he has scored just as much at both positions so far. As the season evolves I'm kinda liking the idea of putting Lucic with Krejci and Horton with Seguin. Kelly could play left with Seguin and and two of Peverley, Caron or Pouliot could ride the right on the other lines. It would give opposition fits deciding who to match, and one of the Bruins units would be getting easy opposition.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I thought he was to be used at center last year.  I was wrong, corrected by Duinne.  He looks good now, but Scooter, it is only like game 6 or whatever.  So, like OatesCam said he will be back on wing soon.   The kid is a natural scorer nonetheless!  I will never forget the Tampa Bay playoff game, he was beyond his years in that one game.  Unbelievable!  He will have to earn the "19" respect by playing CJ hockey ie. positional hockey.  IMO Krejci should sign on soon if he wishes to remain a B.  Seguin has much to prove, but Krejci needs to realize he is best if stays in Boston.  Seguin should be great motivation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Doesn't matter what position he plays, he's a force every time on the ice.  Compare that to after game 5 last year. 

Leaf fans feel better now that Kessel has 5 goals -- but once Seguin matches his goal output by the end of the year -- they'll start biting their hands once Dougie Hamilton makes the team.

Love Seguin.  Love the future!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

agree Seguin's calling card is as a center but he needs to play top six minutes sooner rather than later and that won't happen with Krejci & Bergy around so it'll have to be as a winger for now....

B'S will take that into consideration when negociations with Krejci begin after this season.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Seguin
    Kerjci
    Bergeron

WHY is that viewed as some type of problem?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin:
    [QUOTE]In Response to In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin : Scooter, you'll be dissappointed to find out CJ plans on moving him back to the wing when DK returns. I still love the idea of him lining up with Marchand and Bergy. Pevs can play with Kelly again on the 3rd.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yep . Playing with better offensive players are my thoughts also. Kelly can take care of the duties on a mucking line.

Now if Seguin was given offensive wingers to play with I'd be all for him playing center . Playing him with the likes of Caron and Pouliot is not my idea of taking advantage of his offensive skills.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The "Kid' keeps opening eyes. On any other team he would be a lock at center on an offensive line. In addition to his linemates, the defense [ Chara] needs to recognize how well the kid breaks up the middle and hit him with an outlet pass. These are all offensive moves and Claude's staff needs to adjust to the emerging potential.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's the 'kid' that needs to continue to adjust, not the coaches. History has shown that star players that buy in to a good team defensive system (Yzerman? more recently Crosby?) have much more success than teams that accommodate star players styles (Jagr once he got spoiled? Ovechkin?) Seguin will get better and better as he learns to use his tremendous talents in a way that fits within the game plan and doesn't do more harm than good. He's getting there, and getting there fast.

In Response to Re: In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin:
    [QUOTE]The "Kid' keeps opening eyes. On any other team he would be a lock at center on an offensive line. In addition to his linemates, the defense [ Chara] needs to recognize how well the kid breaks up the middle and hit him with an outlet pass. These are all offensive moves and Claude's staff needs to adjust to the emerging potential.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]It's the 'kid' that needs to continue to adjust, not the coaches. History has shown that star players that buy in to a good team defensive system (Yzerman? more recently Crosby?) have much more success than teams that accommodate star players styles (Jagr once he got spoiled? Ovechkin?) Seguin will get better and better as he learns to use his tremendous talents in a way that fits within the game plan and doesn't do more harm than good. He's getting there, and getting there fast. In Response to Re: In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Good point ! The fact is the rest of the team plays solid and is successful under a certain system . Should any coach change the system to accommodate one player ? Ridiculous ! The player is the one who should be doing the adjusting . Agreed !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin : Good point ! The fact is the rest of the team plays solid and is successful under a certain system . Should any coach change the system to accommodate one player ? Ridiculous ! The player is the one who should be doing the adjusting . Agreed !
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

True, but it goes hand in hand with a coach being able to tweak and adjust his system to take advantage of the skills and tendancies of his players.   i.e. with speed you can be more aggressive on the PK...     As Seguin plays himself into getting more PP time, some adjustments can be made to take advantage of his passing/shooting skills.

The system needs to keep evolving in order to keep it hard to play against, and in order to keep the players challenged and interested.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin : True, but it goes hand in hand with a coach being able to tweak and adjust his system to take advantage of the skills and tendancies of his players.   i.e. with speed you can be more aggressive on the PK...     As Seguin plays himself into getting more PP time, some adjustments can be made to take advantage of his passing/shooting skills. The system needs to keep evolving in order to keep it hard to play against, and in order to keep the players challenged and interested.
    Posted by RascalHoudi[/QUOTE]

Agreed ! I noticed you emphasized my point. Plural not singular.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

If the Bruins had great finishers on the team, it would be a crime to not put him at center. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that Seguin is one of, if not the, best finishers on the team.

Still not great defensively though as he chases the puck a bit too much but he's getting a lot better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin Kerjci Bergeron WHY is that viewed as some type of problem?
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

The only problem is the lack of skilled winger's to play with them.  The 4th line meanwhile is extremely deep.  Take your pick of 6 or 7 guys for that role.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Never stated that Seguin should not adapt. What I clearly stated, as did Rascal, that the coaches need to include Seguin's positive offensive moves into their game plan. This kid is an emerging offensive talent, and needs to be able to utilize those skills as part of the game plan, not inspite of it. IMO this "kid" has adapted quite well to Claude's structure, and now Claude and "friends" need to recognize this gold mine in planning their overall game. To me, that's coaching 101, but I know Chowda thinks my "coaching" perspective is antiquated or probably closer to some of Cherry's faux pas.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin : Scooter, you'll be dissappointed to find out CJ plans on moving him back to the wing when DK returns. I still love the idea of him lining up with Marchand and Bergy. Pevs can play with Kelly again on the 3rd.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

i second the motion! i did write a couple of weeks ago that peverley is a natural fit for 2nd line with bergeron and marchand so i could go either way. but in the long run dez chairelli has to be looking for another talented winger for that 3rd line that can put the puck in the net or a good passer for seguin to finish dont u think? when ray whitney's name was brought up in trade rumors i thought that would have been a great fit with seguin and kelly on 3rd line or switch it peverley - kelly -whitney and seguin- bergeron-marchand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to In the spirit of Don Cherry, I must admit I was wrong about Seguin:
    [QUOTE]I have posted several times that it was a bunch of bunk that Seguin is a natural center.  My argument was a year and a half of Junior doesn't define your career, and he could thrive on the wing with the right players.  After watching a few games with him at center, I must admit that he belongs in the middle.  He does so many good things with some open ice, and at this point he's not strong enough along the wall.  So, Center it is.  Now, the trick is to find the talent to compliment him without messing up what we have established already.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

scooter i wrote this after the first pre season game at home sept 24 so about 3 weeks ago

"as for seguin if the higher ups feel that he should play center then they probably know what's best. my thing was i think he is a great finisher and has a powerful shot which to me equals wing. i have to say that seguin does have a good sense of were people are on the ice and can get the puck to them. also i felt like if he was going to play wing then he would play with a better center to get him the puck were as if he does center the 3rd line i was worried he wouldn't get the wing players to make him better."

so i am right there with u. the more i watch the more i want chiarelli to put the some talent around seguin cause the sky is the limit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he has looked terrific the last two games between horton and lucic, lets give it more time but i agree that center seems to suit his game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

The problem we have is that we have 7 players that are without a doubt top 6 players.

Our third line is my only concern because Kelly, although a good player, is not as offensively gifted as our top 6. And Caron and Pouliot have yet to establish themselves as players.

If we slide one of our top 6 guys down to the third line to ride with Seguin and promote one of the weaker players to top 6 duty it might be a win-win because the lesser skilled player gets to work with better players thus making him work harder but at the same time it could be a disaster for the top line to change up the chemistry.

Glad I can make these calls as hypotheticals and not find out what happens when I mess them up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Just got my new Hockey News... Seguin on the cover...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Just got my new Hockey News... Seguin on the cover...
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    I bet the article says that he's good.