Intelligent Garden fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Intelligent Garden fans

Wideman played awful last year.  He didn't have that one defining error, and he didn't have the poor personality or contract dispute.  He just was terrible.  Then he got traded.  In return, the B's got the guy who is presently leading the team in points.

Why did they boo him?  He should have received nothing or cheers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Intelligent Garden fans

Classless Pinkhats booing every player the b's ever trade perhaps. Sure he had one bad(real bad) year. He was a good guy and absolutely never said anything bad about boston. Booing him hablike and disgraceful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Agreed, I'm not offended by it, but it just makes no sense.  I haven't heard one good reason why anyone would boo or feel bitter towards Wideman.  He didn't quit on the B's, he didn't leave for more money, he didn't force a trade, and we should all be happy with the outcome on his transaction (Horton).

Makes no sense to be upset.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I was there and encouraging people to cheer Wideman.  didn't get far.  Overjoyed to see him in any jersey except the one with the B on the front.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I've heard and seen worse at Philly, New York, LA, Detroit and Chicago sporting events for returning players. I'm a firm believer in fans being able to say what they want as they purchased the ticket with their money.

Living in an area of the US where sports bars do very well because fans from all over the country want to see their favorites play have to put up with the same. managers and bartenders dread when the Mass holes come invade the Bars but establishments do it because these same crazy fans spend large amounts of cash on food, beer and shots for 4 hours while the games are going on.

At Charger games if fans (whom are obnoxious) get out of line people who come to enjoy a great NFL just have to send a text to a certain # and those out of line fans get their azzez hauled out muy pronto.

Types of fans that boo Wideman don't bother me because they are just looking for attention.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

That's sports.  I am sure wides is chuckling over it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's not about having the right to do it or not (of course you have the right).  It is just that it doesn't make any sense, in this case.  I would be curious for someone who was booing Wideman to explain why??  Perhaps I am missing something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivvak. Show kivvak's posts

I am not a fan of booing players everytime they touch the puck, it gets old fast. Plus the Montreal fans started this trend. If you want to boo a traded player the first time they step on the ice great, but after that it is childish. In Widemans case it was not at all deserved. We traded an underperforming player and got a huge return. Even during his struggles last season it was not due to a lack of effort. Wideman showed nothing but class in his time in Boston and deserved better from the fans.This would not have happened at the old Garden.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In the second year of Wideman's career at Boston (07 - 08 - Oct. / Rangers first row on the ice), I witnessed a chours of boos for Dennis Wideman.  My swedish family was here on a visit at the garden.  Bs fans (older guys) kept rising up each time Wideman hit the ice during the whole game. Most people at the game were fortunate to avoid the shenanigans. Rangers fans who are idiots themselves at the game look in bewilderment.   These less than intelligent fans were not responsiblie for Wideman's best seasons in a Bs uniform.  Booing is an option for the fan, the player does not really get bothered by the actions, the only one's bothered are the ones next to the boisterous blow hards.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

but Wideman played pretty well in the real season,the playoffs. and by the way,he's  having a good season so far this year. i guess the fans at the game last night must have gone into a coma  during the playoffs.

that said, i wouldn't trade Horton back to Florida for 6 Wideman's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

The booing was puzzling.  He needed a change of scenery, and PC got a great return for him (and two draft picks).  Everybody wins. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Intelligent Garden fans:
    Wideman played awful last year.  He didn't have that one defining error, and he didn't have the poor personality or contract dispute.  He just was terrible.  Then he got traded.  In return, the B's got the guy who is presently leading the team in points. Why did they boo him?  He should have received nothing or cheers.  
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I thought the exact same as you.I felt the booing was an embarrassment and that people should've at least acknowledged his strong play-off performance.Boos should be reserved for players that wouldn't stay(Kessel)rather than one who was run out of town.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I concur with pretty much all the sentiments.  I thought the booing of Wideman was uncalled for.  Now, booing Kessel?  That's another story.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Thought Wideman was a mostly solid performer for the Bruins from the moment he joined the team.  His rough off-year helped to make him the lightning rod for all that went wrong for the club last year. 

Didn't see last night's game but the fan treatment of him reminded me of Leaf fans' brutal riding of HOFer Larry Murphy back in the mid-nineties when he was in Toronto.  Murphy was a plodding, errrant-pass-making D-guy who was given the nickname "Larry Pylon." 

Everybody knows he left the Leafs for Cup-winning success in Detroit.  Hopefully, Wideman won't have to hear the booing beyond any other enemy player for much longer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Agreed. People forget wideman was our leading scorer (or very close to it) in the pkayoffs where it mattered. I felt wicked bad for the guy when he was struggling last year, he looked miserable. I was happy he got traded to florida because thats a perfect change of scenery, a small market town without all the spot light.

Best of luck dennis, continue the bounce back season your having

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Boo him if you think his Saran Wrap thin confidence will tear if he's singled out.  I have no problem with that.  Love the old Simpsons episode where Bart's riding Strawberry and explains to Marge that it's no big deal because the pros hear it all the time - then they show Strawberry wiping away a tear.  Most guys won't hear it, but we saw a lot of Wideman looking like it didn't take much to wear him down mentally.  Hey, nothing personal Dennis - take it as a compliment given that your numbers are up again and you're the biggest offensive threat on the Panther blueline.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Why have I not read one post here, EVER, about Wideman's off season shoulder surgery ?  Do people not think this might have being a contributing factor into his poor play last season ? I know I do. When Wideman got here, he made beautiful after beautiful passes out of his end and he hammered the puck from the blueline. You don't lose all that talent in one season. Did you happen to see the saucer outlet pass to what's his face the other nite that sent want's his face in on a break away ? THAT was the Wideman we let go. I think the shoulder surgery was a success !!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I posted a few things in defense of DW back when he was struggling, but the one thing you really can't counter is the pendulum effect he'll have on your emotions.  Smart, accurate pass to start an odd-man rush is quickly followed by a horrible, ugly stumble as he tries to pivot and chase.  He never just flubs the puck along the wall - he flubs is directly to a guy in full flight, and then falls down.  I've never seen a guy whose mistakes were so operatic.  More than anything, that's why he has taken such heat, and will continue to take a beating in Boston.

I may be giving some people too much credit here, though - they may just like booing.  But either the emotional rollercoaster of watching this guy for a few years or the knowledge that  his confidence is a bit fragile are perfectly justifiable reasons to empty your lungs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Intelligent Garden fans:
    I posted a few things in defense of DW back when he was struggling, but the one thing you really can't counter is the pendulum effect he'll have on your emotions.  Smart, accurate pass to start an odd-man rush is quickly followed by a horrible, ugly stumble as he tries to pivot and chase.  He never just flubs the puck along the wall - he flubs is directly to a guy in full flight, and then falls down.  I've never seen a guy whose mistakes were so operatic.  More than anything, that's why he has taken such heat, and will continue to take a beating in Boston. I may be giving some people too much credit here, though - they may just like booing.  But either the emotional rollercoaster of watching this guy for a few years or the knowledge that  his confidence is a bit fragile are perfectly justifiable reasons to empty your lungs.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Dead on assessment.  I say BB assessments are right right 99.9% of the time, which is a heckuva lot more useful then these predictions which are claimed right 98.5% of the time.

I would add that Dennis' timing was also perfect, it always came at a time where it would stop momentum stone cold.  Not at a critical point in the game where you could clearly blame him for a loss (not ususally anyway), but at a point where they started getting things going and the energy was gaining and then Wideman would turn that right around.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

He got boo'ed so much last year, I think the B's fans at the game did it out of instinct. After the 10,000th booo, as soon as he touched the puck, the 10,001 boo such seems natural.

I like Wideman (now that he's gone) he has provided us with the best penalty shot of all time!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I was at the game and stood up and shouted at people who were booing Wideman. A man in front of me added his agreement. Stupid to boo him. At the very least, he brought in Horton, but he was a good guy who always gave his best effort.

For the record, the booing didn't bother him. He played well, and could have had a couple of sterling assists if not for Rask's superb play.

Best of luck to Dennis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

We did not get Horton for Wideman. Horton is here because of the #15 overall pick that was part of the trade. Well, probably a combination of the 2 but it was certainly not due to just Wideman. I too was at the game the other night. I didn't like the booing but I was all for the taunting chants of his name, etc. Anything to rattle him. We had to put up with that awful, awful season last year. I think the fans were ok to give him some grief. Several posters correctly state that he was classy and always gave a good effort so I agree there shouldn't have been booing. If he was playing poorly last year due to a bad should then shame on him and management for letting him play through it. He was hurting the team last year...he should have just gotten it fixed. Anyway, good luck Dennis. It was good to see that you actually got a couple shots on net the other night.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

There are alot of moron B's fans these days. Most don't even know what they are watching. Three years ago they had 12,000 most nites. Now they are getting 17,565. The difference is made up of drunken post Red Sox fools looking for a new kick. Wideman was a disappointment last year but was still their second best Dman and if he was still here he would still be the second best  Dman here....but I'd rather have Horton.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Intelligent Garden fans:
    We did not get Horton for Wideman. Horton is here because of the #15 overall pick that was part of the trade. Well, probably a combination of the 2 but it was certainly not due to just Wideman.
    Posted by logeseats

If Wideman wasn't in the deal, neither was Horton.

Sections
Shortcuts