Interesting article on Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Interesting article on Shawn Thornton

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/columns/story?columnist=murphy_james&id=5954784
    I know N-A-S won't respond to me but this is an interesting article on a guy drawing a lot of flack on this board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Interesting article on Shawn Thornton

Enjoyed the read. Thank you! Probably one of the few times I actually started & finished a Murphy article.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Same here, not a big fan of Murphy at all, I really enjoyed this article on Thornton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting article on Shawn Thornton:
    [QUOTE]Enjoyed the read. Thank you! Probably one of the few times I actually started & finished a Murphy article.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    I thought the same.Don't usually think much of Murphy but the article was good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I always like reading articles about enforcers and 3rd and 4th line players because I don't get enough info. about their character on and off the ice. This was a story/article good stuff callo. 19.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Good read, Thornton is not one of my favorite players.  My opinions don't vary much from the others on his value.  Yet, what I think does not matter.  Like I said in NAS thread, the facts are known.  He was a free agent signing who was resigned this year.  He also has seven goals.  Management likes him, so does his teammates.  Intangibles are not really known to most fans, so I will defer to the management's decision to keep him on the team.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I understand what you're saying isla, I just think that Thornton (Campbell and Marchand) are some of the best 4th liners in the league. I don't want to see Caron, Arniel etc... That's not what they seem projected to be so I don't see the sense in bringing them up to learn a more defensive line. What Thornton brings to this team isn't always seen on the score sheet night in and night out. He is one of our leaders, he is very vocal, his teammates love him, management loves him, and he does tremendous things for this city off the ice. He is one of the nicest most charitable athletes I have encountered.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For the second year straight, this team is showing a significant lack of self worth.  They get pushed around by everybody and when they actually play for a full 60 minutes, it is front page news.

They have very little heart, no character, no attitude and they probably make true Big, Bad Bruins hide their faces in their hands with their sluggish, careless play.

Can anyone help me with exactly what Thornton's great leadership is bringing to the team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Also keep in mind that James "Savard is on the block" Murphy is the least respectable "real" Bruins writer in Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

NAS you complain about absolutely everything. That's why I could honestly care less what you think. You disrespect anyone who has a different opinion. As many Bruins players have said they respect his leadership and he is a leader in the clubhouse. I am not making anything up. Also, like Dez and I both said we don't like Murphy but it was a respectable article. And, there is no hiding the fact that Savard was, at one point, on the block.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]For the second year straight, this team is showing a significant lack of self worth.  They get pushed around by everybody and when they actually play for a full 60 minutes, it is front page news. They have very little heart, no character, no attitude and they probably make true Big, Bad Bruins hide their faces in their hands with their sluggish, careless play. Can anyone help me with exactly what Thornton's great leadership is bringing to the team?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I think criticizing the players on the team who are not showing these qualities and not one of the ones who does would be more appropriate. There have been players on poorer teams throughout the history of the game who have been good leaders. Saying that leadership does nothing for a team by pointing out the ineptness of others is deflecting away from that person's abilities. Was Ray Bourque's leadership any different on uninspired losing teams then it was on the inspired winning teams ? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting article on Shawn Thornton : I think criticizing the players on the team who are not showing these qualities and not one of the ones who does would be more appropriate. There have been players on poorer teams throughout the history of the game who have been good leaders. Saying that leadership does nothing for a team by pointing out the ineptness of others is deflecting away from that person's abilities. Was Ray Bourque's leadership any different on uninspired losing teams then it was on the inspired winning teams ? 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I don't recall any teams lead by Ray Bourque that played like zombies for 1/4 or 1/2 of a season...or more.

I might not be explaining it properly, so let me try again.  How can a team that plays with no heart give credit to someone for being a great leader?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting article on Shawn Thornton : I don't recall any teams lead by Ray Bourque that played like zombies for 1/4 or 1/2 of a season...or more. I might not be explaining it properly, so let me try again.  How can a team that plays with no heart give credit to someone for being a great leader?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yes what you are saying is true if put that way. This is my point . Are any players, whether it be leaders like Bergeron , Thomas, Thornton or whomever to blame for the the so called zombie (lol) like play of others if they themselves are playing with heart and with leadership ? I say no. 
    At some point the blame has to fall on the individuals themselves. Would any of these leaders get credit for a good game from the living dead ? No. So why take away from them when the zombies are sleep walking ? Motivation should come within. Not having somebody do it for you. 
    Even Bourque himself would have had a hard time inspiring some of these players ! 

BTW I like your posts. They are inspiring and you are truly a great leader on this board. Oh wait a minute , there are a bunch of posters who stink. Let's blame their crappy efforts on you. Just kidding ! Good posting ! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

To expand on this further, going from what you've stated:

At best, his leadership abilities are unknown.  You can't lead those that can't or won't be lead.  This team is a rudderless ship most nights.  Until that changes, I give no credit to the team's great leaders or really good locker room guys.  To err on the side of caution, I will refrain from taking anything away from them as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

NAS. I didn't post on your post about Thorts because I do see where your coming from about giving Thornton too much credit. I also can't argue about a guy & say he's a great inspirational leader on this club; when I've been a ring leader in the complaint department about how this team has lacked emotion & heart for most of the season so far. All I can say is that I think the guy is more talented than what you give him credit for. I don't think he's in the same category as the Boogie Man & Orr. I think he's more than just a goon. I think he belongs on the 4th line, stays on the 4th line & I hope he doesn't think he's due for a Chris Simon, Bob Probert type season where he thinks he can score 29 goals. I don't think replacing him with a Jordon Caron is an equal trade off. Not yet anyway. I do think Thorts does have some intangibles that the B's need. I know in your eyes staged fighting is stupid & dumb. I honestly don't have a problem with it. However, Thorts has shown he is willing to take on some guys that if he wasn't here someone else could, but we're also losing more if it ends up being a Lucic, or a Chara. Which; I think THEY should do more than have been, but I'm glad that it's not a Lucic, or a Chara that has to take on a Eric Boulton on a consistent basis. Thursday night is the exception. I can't wait, but I also hope that Thorts doesn't talk Looch out of it & say "Hey you're our top goal scorer. I'll handle Eric!" I think Lucic needs this fight because that is what got him here. That's what us B's fans liked about the guy. He can't lose that part of his game. That B.A attitude & swagger!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I agree that Thornton is in a very different category than the pure cement heads.  He is good on the fourth line right now.  He doesn't belong on the ice in a close game with under five minutes left, but he doesn't belong on the bench for 58 minutes a game.

This whole Lucic vs. Boulton stuff eludes me.  Myers came in high and got popped for it.  It's not like it was Richards/Booth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Yea, I know. You & I didn't have a problem with what Chris Neil did to Dennis either, but it sounds like Lucic may have to answer the bell. It'll be up to Ramsey if it actually happens though. I mean he's got last change. However, I'd much rather have Lucic take this one, rather than have Thorts.
    And I'm with you on- when Thorts belongs on the ice & when not. The other night when CJ put him on to try & get him the trick. I have no issues with that at all. But if the score was 3-2 Boston? That I don't want. I don't care if he had two goals & one assist on the night !