Interesting HockeyDB feature

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Interesting HockeyDB feature

I'm enjoying the opportunity to look at every player ever picked with a certain pick.  I was looking a Vanek (trying to figure out what happened with the Isles' first rounder in the Moulson/Vanek deal) and clicked on the #5 on the line saying he was drafted 5th overall.  It took me to a sortable list of all players drafted 5th overall. 

It's definitely an interesting perspective in light of our conversations about Chiarelli's competence at the draft table - mostly in terms of managing expectations.  For example, Felicity Kessel?  He is the 10th leading scorer ALL TIME for players drafted 5th overall.  That seems monstrous until you realize Blake Wheeler is 14th.  ALL TIME!!!  Blake Wheeler is the 14th highest scoring 5th overall pick ALL TIME!!  This feels like the at South Park parody of Johnny Cochrane - if Chewbacca lived on the Forest Moon of Endor with the Ewoks, you must acquit!  If Blake Wheeler is the 5th highest scoring RW of all time, you must re-evaluate your thinking about the draft! 

Jordan Caron, in terms of games played?  He's basically middle of the pack for all 25th overall picks, and just below middle of the pack in terms of points (though, of course, he has a few goalies behind him there, so among skaters, he's probably bottom third...).

Zach Hamill?  One of the worst points performances by an 8th overall pick in the history of the draft.  To put it in real perspective, two goalies drafted 8th overall outscored him.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Interesting HockeyDB feature

who were the goalies?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fuhr and Pascale Leclaire. Fuhr makes perfect sense: "Fuhr with the save, and Coffey collects the rebound...Coffey up the wing...to Gretzky...back to Coffey...scores!!!"  That may have happened a few times (46 maybe?).

To be fair, Leclaire tied Hamill with 4 assists.  But he did it as a goalie, so he wins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Glass Groin Leclaire? wow.....embarrassing for Hamill. I was thinking goals scored but only know of Brodeur and Hextall to have done this. Neither of them went 8th overall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, well, No Goals Hamill is tied with every goalie who never scored, and their goalies, so tie goes to the netminder....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ha! Logan Couture would have looked nice in a B's uniform. Good old hindsight....that was one pathetic draft year:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2007

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha! Logan Couture would have looked nice in a B's uniform. Good old hindsight....that was one pathetic draft year:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2007" rel="nofollow">http://www.mynhldraft.com/2007

[/QUOTE]

Looks like the Habs stole a good player that year at 22.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And #12 as well.....too bad for them

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Thanks for heads-up book, nice feature.

It helped me quickly identify that in addition to Hamill, Jonathan Aitken was also a useless #8 overall pick.

Man, the B's whiffed on some high picks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Mitchell Dempsey picked at 210.

No surprise that most didn't play, but Bob Beers, Andy Brickley, Dave Taylor and Zetterberg were picked at 210.

Just like you have to reevaluate considering the other people drafted at that spot, you have to reevaluate how much better they have gotten at drafting just over the last 10-15 years or so.  As I go through the drafts it seems that a lot fewer guys are making it from the last round, and also more guys are making it from the first round.  Also you have to consider how many guys they get out of the draft regardless of the round and the PC era Bruins don't have much to show there yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:[QUOTE] It helped me quickly identify that in addition to Hamill, Jonathan Aitken was also a useless #8 overall pick.

Man, the B's whiffed on some high picks. [/QUOTE]

To make that pick worse MOC admitted later that his scouts told him not to Aiken as well as Jonsson in 2000.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Man, I've been using that site forever and I had no idea that feature existed.

Awesome!

Sections
Shortcuts