Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from khilborn. Show khilborn's posts

Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors

As a result of tonight's fight filled 1st period (4 in total), Boston has 48 majors for fighting so far this season - one fight short of having the most team fights this year (Ducks & Blues both with 49).  Interesting stat that gets no mention - at least I haven't heard it mentioned.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors

Not a lot of talk about it on these boards. What I find even more interesting is more people on this team are willing to drop the gloves besides Thornton. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors:
    [QUOTE]Not a lot of talk about it on these boards. What I find even more interesting is more people on this team are willing to drop the gloves besides Thornton. 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

That's because most of us here enjoy more about hockey than skating clowns wasting the fans' time.

Fighting certainly has it's place in hockey.  The Ference fight is a good hockey fight.  The Campbell fight was a good hockey fight.  I don't know what caused the McQuaid fight.

The Thornton fight was a waste of time. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oops.  McQuaid just said the fight happened because he nodded and the Dallas player nodded back.

Waste of time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

And that is with Lucic basically never fighting this season.

Campbell is the Bruins equivalent to David Koci.  He will fight anyone, but gets his face pounded in and loses every one of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Thornton's fight was to regain the momentum after Campbell's blood was pretty much spilled everywhere between the blue lines.  It only took about 10 minutes to clean it up and sucked the energy out of the building.  He thoroughly dominated Barch, got the fans, and more importantly his team, back into it.  4-0, B's out of the gate (and it seemed to have pumped himself up pretty well, too, as he notched one of those).   

But okay, keep doggin' the guy and most everyone else on these boards.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Don Cherry would take exception to NAS !!!   There's always room for a dust up. That's hockey. Better than a bunch of dirty stick hacking and cheap shots. There's always figure skating for those that don't like a good fight in hockey. And get rid of the instigator rule while they are at it. Ted Green would smile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : That's because most of us here enjoy more about hockey than skating clowns wasting the fans' time. Fighting certainly has it's place in hockey.  The Ference fight is a good hockey fight.  The Campbell fight was a good hockey fight.  I don't know what caused the McQuaid fight. The Thornton fight was a waste of time. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Typical hypocrisy on these boards.  The main reason IMO for this post was to point out that the Bruins to get dirty and drop the gloves more than we think.  If you read these boards you'd think the bruins were skating in circles or in the fetal position in the corner.  We complain that Lucic doesn't fight enough or the Bruins don't stick up for each other or they aren't tough enough.  This stat simply points out that perception isn't always reality.  That's something that people on here should remind themselves more often.

Perception isn't always reality.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Oops.  McQuaid just said the fight happened because he nodded and the Dallas player nodded back. Waste of time.

You might add Campbell and Ott to the dancing bear fight analysis.  The game started with Campbell on the wing.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

"thornton fight was a waste of time"

its called momentum-ott took it away and thornton got it back all over barch's mug.
    maybe you should watch golf.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I thought the team was responding because it looked like Ott bloodied up campbell with a headbut helmet strike. You can clearly see Campbell bleeding before Ott even lands a punch. I guarantee thornton caught that and took it to heart.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Oops.  McQuaid just said the fight happened because he nodded and the Dallas player nodded back. Waste of time.
    It was not a waste of time. Did you hear the Garden crowd?That's the loudest the Garden has been all year. It was shaking. The game was awesome and it was because of the 3 fights all of them. Fighting is a part of hockey NAS. Get over it. There is a reason for each and every fight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Where's JWensink ? He'd love this thread "Arrgghhh more blood! I love Paille! Aarrgghh..." LoL!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : It was not a waste of time. Did you hear the Garden crowd?That's the loudest the Garden has been all year. It was shaking. The game was awesome and it was because of the 3 fights all of them. Fighting is a part of hockey NAS. Get over it. There is a reason for each and every fight.

All 3 of those fights were awesome and set a tone.

Campbell wanted payback for a cheapshot  that Ott had thrown on him 2 years ago.

Thornton was standing up for Campbell who lost the fight(IMO Ott hit him with a sneaky headbut. Watch Campbell is allready spurting blood before Ott even lands a punch!)

McQ umm im not really sure I guess. Just being awesome  might as well get in on the action show how involved you really are. It may have been also the Stars player looking to one up thornton and then getting worked by lonewolf.

Ference needed to go after that guy. Thats the 2nd time in a few weeks someone has taken a shot after the whistle on our goalie. I bet the word is out that BOS has the best goalie tandem in the league and players are going to not like that.

Its 10:30 and im just starting to recover from last night. What a freaking game. I cant believe I forgot to DVR it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

The way I see it:
    • Campbell's fight was a grudge match, Ott's victory set the tone
    • Thornton didn't like 1 second of Star's tone, he fought to reverse it and his victory did
    • McQuaid made sure tone stayed in Bs favor and put an exclamation mark on it
    • Ference was sending a message and protecting his goalie
    Nothing wrong with any of those fights.

NAS, come on, you wearing a skirt today?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : It was not a waste of time. Did you hear the Garden crowd?That's the loudest the Garden has been all year. It was shaking. The game was awesome and it was because of the 3 fights all of them. Fighting is a part of hockey NAS. Get over it. There is a reason for each and every fight.

Yes, there is a reason for each and every fight.  Mostly, it's because two skating clowns are on the ice together and don't know what else to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : You might add Campbell and Ott to the dancing bear fight analysis.  The game started with Campbell on the wing.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Campbell wanted to get to Ott for something that happened in a previous game.  Unlike the Boulton/Thornton interruptions, this one had merit.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I enjoyed all of them because there was a defeated feeling in the building after Campbell finally gets his chance at retribution on the hated Ott and then gets split open for his efforts.  I think both the Thronton and McQuaid fights did change that defeated feeling and put the Stars on their heels.  How can anyone say that they didn't at least put energy back in the building?

I will agree though that the Ference fight was the best though.  Crawford always has a player like Burish to do cheap stuff like shooting after the whistle.  Now Burish and Crawford can sit back and think about whether that shot was worth a broken orbital bone or not.  The only deterrant for stuff like that is an a$$-beating.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : All 3 of those fights were awesome and set a tone. Campbell wanted payback for a cheapshot  that Ott had thrown on him 2 years ago. Thornton was standing up for Campbell who lost the fight(IMO Ott hit him with a sneaky headbut. Watch Campbell is allready spurting blood before Ott even lands a punch!) McQ umm im not really sure I guess. Just being awesome  might as well get in on the action show how involved you really are. It may have been also the Stars player looking to one up thornton and then getting worked by lonewolf. Ference needed to go after that guy. Thats the 2nd time in a few weeks someone has taken a shot after the whistle on our goalie. I bet the word is out that BOS has the best goalie tandem in the league and players are going to not like that. Its 10:30 and im just starting to recover from last night. What a freaking game. I cant believe I forgot to DVR it
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

ILH is it true Campbell was seeking retribution from two years ago.  If so then the fight was justified.  I know I am old school.  Ha. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

NAS, I usually agree 99.9% with what you have to say. But, I respectfully disagree with your assertion about fighting. The number of fights the B's had last night can be a galvanizing element, especially for a team that at times has lacked cohesion and passion...Two willing guys going at it as was the case last night was a very, very good thing for THIS team.
    Doc

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : Yes, there is a reason for each and every fight.  Mostly, it's because two skating clowns are on the ice together and don't know what else to do.
    I'm so sick of your "holier than thou" attitude. There are no skating clowns on the Bruins. They are all hockey players playing the game we all love for a living. Get the giant stick out your a**

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SluggyBuggy. Show SluggyBuggy's posts

Not-a-shot, your hockey IQ lacks.  Thornton fought Barch to gain back momentum after Campbell spewed blood all over the ice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : I'm so sick of your "holier than thou" attitude. There are no skating clowns on the Bruins. They are all hockey players playing the game we all love for a living. Get the giant stick out your a**

If fighting was removed from hockey, do you think Thornton would remain on the Bruins or would Jordan Caron get his roster spot.

I think Caron takes the spot.

Skating clowns are not hockey players, they are sideshow fools who can fight on skates.  Bergeron is a hockey player.  Hossa is a hockey player.  Backes is a hockey player.  Even Cheechoo is a hockey player. 

John Scott is not a hockey player.  Derek Booggaarrdd is not a hockey player. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : If fighting was removed from hockey, do you think Thornton would remain on the Bruins or would Jordan Caron get his roster spot. I think Caron takes the spot. Skating clowns are not hockey players, they are sideshow fools who can fight on skates.  Bergeron is a hockey player.  Hossa is a hockey player.  Backes is a hockey player.  Even Cheechoo is a hockey player.  John Scott is not a hockey player.  Derek Booggaarrdd is not a hockey player. 
    I was upset to you referring to McQuaid being a skating clown. I think he has proven so far he is a steady stay at home d-man who will drop his gloves.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : I was upset to you referring to McQuaid being a skating clown. I think he has proven so far he is a steady stay at home d-man who will drop his gloves.

That fight was a fight to fight, not hockey related at all.  I think McQuaid is a good hockey player, and I don't think I've ever stated differently.  He's a perfect third pairing guy on many NHL teams.

Sections
Shortcuts