Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors

In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors:
    In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : That fight was a fight to fight, not hockey related at all.  I think McQuaid is a good hockey player, and I don't think I've ever stated differently.  He's a perfect third pairing guy on many NHL teams.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Being at the game and seeing what that fight, along with the others, I would respectively disagree about that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

For a clown, I think Thornton is a pretty good skater and has an underrated shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : Being at the game and seeing what that fight, along with the others, I would respectively disagree about that.
    Posted by callodthedom19

And listening to McQuaid say that it was based on one guy nodding at the other, I would disagree with you. 

If these guys can't get up for the game by themselves, but need fights to get them to play hockey well, then the entire game is broken.

There are no fights in Olympic hockey, and that is clearly the best hockey played. 

There are no skating clowns in playoff hockey.  Why doesn't that translate into the regular season?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyV219. Show JohnnyV219's posts

For those that are whining about fighting in hockey...go watch golf..now that was easy..Fighting is part of hockey and theres always a reason for these guys that fight. Weather it be a momentum swing or to light a fire or even as a payback.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I'm saying the fights changed the atmosphere of the crowd. Which acted like another teammate. No need to get the boys pumped up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

There are no fights in Olympic hockey, and that is clearly the best hockey played. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

We will never see hockey in the NHL at that level unless they eliminate about half the league. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

That has to be up there with the comeback win over the Pens as game o the year so far - what true, bona fide Bs fan would have anything less than positive comments about it ?!?!

That's fire and ice hockey, hombres.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For a clown, I think Thornton is a pretty good skater and has an underrated shot.
    Posted by jalvis

He is a better skate than many of his sparring partners.  I don't offer accolades for being on the good side of a bad group. 

You can pull 20 kids out of every high school in the Greater Boston area who have a similar shot to Thornton.  That goal against Dallas was nice.  Of course, it was the first puck in 32 shots (since before Christmas) that was a goal.

I was happy for him.  He's a really nice guy.  I love the interviews on Toucher and Rich and his one liners are fantastic.  I'd take him over Brickley any day of the week. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

I enjoyed all of them because there was a defeated feeling in the building after Campbell finally gets his chance at retribution on the hated Ott and then gets split open for his efforts.  I think both the Thronton and McQuaid fights did change that defeated feeling and put the Stars on their heels.  How can anyone say that they didn't at least put energy back in the building? I will agree though that the Ference fight was the best though.  Crawford always has a player like Burish to do cheap stuff like shooting after the whistle.  Now Burish and Crawford can sit back and think about whether that shot was worth a broken orbital bone or not.  The only deterrant for stuff like that is an a$$-beating.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Amen Fletch!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : He is a better skate than many of his sparring partners.  I don't offer accolades for being on the good side of a bad group.  You can pull 20 kids out of every high school in the Greater Boston area who have a similar shot to Thornton.  That goal against Dallas was nice.  Of course, it was the first puck in 32 shots (since before Christmas) that was a goal. I was happy for him.  He's a really nice guy.  I love the interviews on Toucher and Rich and his one liners are fantastic.  I'd take him over Brickley any day of the week. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

if you think thornton shoots like a high school kid, you've obviously never played the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : if you think thornton shoots like a high school kid, you've obviously never played the game.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

Your powers of deductive reasoning are amazing.  You can determine what has happened in my life over the course of 30+ years due to a statement about a hockey player on a newspaper forum thread.

Can you also decude where I went to college, my family's heritage and how many keys are on my key ring?

Go watch a CM game.  Tell me that Thornton can shoot better than the best players on the ice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Interesting Team Stat - Fighting Majors : Your powers of deductive reasoning are amazing.  You can determine what has happened in my life over the course of 30+ years due to a statement about a hockey player on a newspaper forum thread. Can you also decude where I went to college, my family's heritage and how many keys are on my key ring? Go watch a CM game.  Tell me that Thornton can shoot better than the best players on the ice.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

you went to bc, you're part irish, part italian, and you have 6 keys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

0-4. 

The slow thinkers here attack the poster when the cannot attack the post. 

Is that going to be your style? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

merrimack, french/scottish, 5 keys

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

NAS

I went to every CM training Clinic they had the 4 years I was in HS. The open-invite ones in the offseason where if you know the coach or something you got a chance to go.

Thornton would dominate on the ice there. He has underrated hands skates pretty well and would be faster/stronger than all of those kids. Some of the kids may be better at picking a spot but I guarandamtee you that thornton's shot is harder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

NAS that's fine in your opinion you don't think fighting should be a part of hockey. Fine. But it is. And it would be most appreciated from fellow Bruin fans if you would stop calling our Bruin players that fight clowns. They are hockey playrs. OUR hockey players. Please show them the respect as hockey players. thank you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I posted some other stats about fighting earlier this week and as I mentioned, we should be more worried about team toughness than just fighting. That said, I loved what the team showed against Dallas this week.

I don't buy the fighters are clowns arguments. Certainly guys like Boogard are no talent hacks, but we've seen other strong guys become regular players in recent years-- Shawn Thornton is having his best scoring season of his career, the Penguins' Aaron Asham is on pace for a solid 9 goal season, and even Tie Domi could take a semi regular shift. Yeah there are some cementheads out there, but we're slowly witnessing an evolution in the traditional "enforcer role."

But the Stars game ... I look at it (as I always do) from the PR side for the NHL. It's too bad about Paille's hit because that game had it all: fights, toughness and lots of scoring. It was all over the media the next day too. If it weren't for that hit, the NHL would secretly have been pleased with the intensity in that game. This also bolsters my arguments against the idea that enforcers are completely hurting the game. A relatively clean player like Paille draws negative national attention for the NHL in one instant, while the fighters don't hurt the NHL in their only 8 minutes per night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS I went to every CM training Clinic they had the 4 years I was in HS. The open-invite ones in the offseason where if you know the coach or something you got a chance to go. Thornton would dominate on the ice there. He has underrated hands skates pretty well and would be faster/stronger than all of those kids. Some of the kids may be better at picking a spot but I guarandamtee you that thornton's shot is harder.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

That's nice.  100% off topic, but nice.

I wasn't talking about the kids who know someone and get a walk on tryout.  I was talking about the best players at CM.  And the topic wasn't about strength or even skating, it was about shooting.

I would absolutely bet the top line players at CM have a better (meaning more accurate, harder, quicker release) shot than Thornton.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS that's fine in your opinion you don't think fighting should be a part of hockey. Fine. But it is. And it would be most appreciated from fellow Bruin fans if you would stop calling our Bruin players that fight clowns. They are hockey playrs. OUR hockey players. Please show them the respect as hockey players. thank you.
    Posted by Stuke50

I am all for fighting in hockey, as I have stated many, many times.

As for the rest of it, that's ridiculous.  Stuke, have your feelings been hurt because I said Shawn Thornton is a skating clown?  They aren't my hockey players.  I like to follow the team they play on, that's all.

Skating clowns aren't hockey players.  They are guys who skate and fight.

Sections
Shortcuts