Interesting tidbit for you Thornton Haters!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Interesting tidbit for you Thornton Haters!

ST isn't coming back.  If Scott runs Bergie Hamilton rask Seguin for example.  I have no issue with our big guys going after Scott.  Chara isn't a little man.  My pt is only if Scott takes runs at our guys.  I personally believe chara and Lucic would do better then ST.  

[/QUOTE]

I doubt John Scott will be on the ice while any of the players you mentioned are out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

I have no issue with chara or Lucic going with this idiot if he takes runs at our guys.  The closer the game the less he will be used.  Guess ST shouldn't have said the things about Scott a few yrs ago.  Scott just shut him up pretty good.  

I don't think Thornton was ever considered the reigning NHL heavyweight champ, he just happens to fight, Scott won, time to move on to the next fight.

He shouldn't write cheques he can't cash then.  Listen I despise Scott.  He's an embarrassment to hockey.  I think ST taking shots at him in the media about Scott was stupid.  Scott is a freak show on ice.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

ST isn't coming back.  If Scott runs Bergie Hamilton rask Seguin for example.  I have no issue with our big guys going after Scott.  Chara isn't a little man.  My pt is only if Scott takes runs at our guys.  I personally believe chara and Lucic would do better then ST.  

I doubt John Scott will be on the ice while any of the players you mentioned are out there.

[/QUOTE]

rask?  :).  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to DAVESTAPLETON86's comment:

Scott stayed on his skates that long?

btw its called taking one for the team.

Did the energy in the game boost up after the fight ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to DAVESTAPLETON86's comment:

Scott stayed on his skates that long?

btw its called taking one for the team.

Did the energy in the game boost up after the fight ?

I think the fight was meaningless.  But I've played where darren Langdon destroyed our fighter and it sucked the life outta us. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Isn't having Scott out there like Buffalo playing short-handed?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't know every tiny bit of John Scott's career, so I'm asking an honest question here:  Is John Scott a dirty player who takes runs at skilled guys?  My guess is that he isn't, because that's not really how skating clowns play, but I'm not saying either way.  I'm asking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't know every tiny bit of John Scott's career, so I'm asking an honest question here:  Is John Scott a dirty player who takes runs at skilled guys?  My guess is that he isn't, because that's not really how skating clowns play, but I'm not saying either way.  I'm asking.

Well fletcher had a little blog about him.  How he was charged.  Now does that equate to on the ice?   He can't skate so he can't catch anyone.  But I can see him running a goalie and taking a swing at a Hamilton.  He's an embarrassing factor of the NHL.  Next thing they will sign wwe wrestlers and put skates on them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

1)Complaining about who should be the 4th line winger is a good problem to have.

This team has cap space and skill and is a Cup contender.  All TOI needs to be utilized properly.  True, no disagreement here.

2) 5 goals is not useless when you neutralize the other team's goon from trying to goat Lucic or Chara into 5 minutes of being off the ice or hurt (like Callahan)

Callahan was injured during a fracas with Max Talbot, not a goon.  I'd rather have Chara and Lucic understand that they are not to fight goons (as they seem to understand) than waste a roster spot on on a goon.  Wasn't my point.  Having a goon minimizes the times our better players have to get in a fight to risk injury.

3) Thornton has coughed it up for a goal but has also scored a big goal for the B's this year.  Even.  It's also worth noting that Lucic probably coughs up the puck the most in his own zone as a winger.  Not as many posts about this...just saying.

All players turn the puck over.  If you spend minimal time on the ice and your turnover results in an opponent's goal, it's going to be magnified.  True, but his goal should be recognized as well for the amount of time he plays.

4) If you have to rely on your 4th line for scoring, your team sucks.

This team doesn't have to rely on the fourth line for much outside of a breather for the skilled lines.  Someone mentioned 5 goals as useless.

5) The 4th line typically sees less than 10 minutes of ice per game.  Thornton gets less than 6 because he does not kill penalities.

If he isn't needed for killing penalties and doesn't stop opponents from taking cheap shots on good players (Savard, Horton x 2, Skinner's slew foot on Bergeron etc), then what exactly is his purpose? No disagreement here.  Goons do not complete deter such actions; that is proven.  His purpose is to fight other goons so Lucic doesn't have to.

6) For those who want Thornton out of the 4th line spot, who do you want for his replacement?  Keep in mind point #2 and #4 before you answer.  Also, if you want a young guy there- do you want him to get less than 6 minutes of ice time per game for his development?

Caron or an actual hockey player acquired in trade or via free agency.  Again, the team has cap space.  There are plenty of UFAs that would fit very nicely there.  Another player like Caron will not take on the Jon Scotts of the world...or be at least willing.  Another player may not develop with under 6 minutes of ice time per game. 

7) Some may want a guy with more experience for the 4th line role.

This team has plenty of experience.  True.

8) Thornton has 2 Stanley Cup rings. Fact. This may help with #7.

This couldn't possibly mean less.   Also true....just some people (not me) equate experience with Stanley Cup experience.  However, I do like guys on my team that know their role, accept their role, and do it well.  Thornton does his role well in my opinion and I think many of his teammates would agree.  A guy who could not fight may not like having less than 6 minutes of ice time.

9) I watched the away broadcasts of the last two games and both sets of announcers commented on how deep Boston is and "that they have a very good 4th line"....not that it matters much...but just saying.  Maybe they are comparing our lineup to theirs.

Digging deep for more reasons here.  Out of town broadcasters are not a quality resource when evaluating the home team players.  Don't disagree. Was a reach...thus the "just saying".  4th lines do not directly determine Stanley Cup winners, however they do provide necessary balance in the form of penalty killlers, giving top line guys breathers, and providing energy through hitting, fighting, winning faceoffs, and drawing penalties.   

10) Too much is made about being a "good guy in the locker room".  Not sure if this ultimately means anything in a results oriented business, but it is better than being a "complete A-hole" in the locker room.

Can't really justify the roster spot for a guy who isn't a complete a-hole.  There are plenty of those guys out there who can actually play hockey at the NHL level. 
    Whether you like it or not, this is not the Euro leagues---fighting is part of the NHL, and is the predominant skill sets for certain players.  If no one else in the league had guys similar to Thornton, I would be the first to show him the exit.  However, as long as guys like Parros, Scott, etc... exist and fighting is allowed, I want Thornton on my team. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Luc,

I'm all for fighting in the NHL.  I'm all against goon vs. goon staged fights.  That's almost every fight for Thornton.  When was the last time you saw him fight out of anger?  When he beat up poor Hamrlik?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I have no issue with chara or Lucic going with this idiot if he takes runs at our guys.  The closer the game the less he will be used.  Guess ST shouldn't have said the things about Scott a few yrs ago.  Scott just shut him up pretty good.  

I don't get that type of thinking.  Trading punches or penalty time for Chara or Lucic with Scott is a horrible exchange for them.  Risk vs Reward?  Send out ST.

I have no doubt they'd both do better than Thornton. I also think McQuaid would do better against Scott. He's just built a little better for going after a big man. Thornton was in la la land when he hit the ice. Scott's last punch as Thornton was already falling caught him on the button.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I don't get that type of thinking.  Trading punches or penalty time for Chara or Lucic with Scott is a horrible exchange for them.  Risk vs Reward?  Send out ST.

I have no doubt they'd both do better than Thornton. I also think McQuaid would do better against Scott. He's just built a little better for going after a big man. Thornton was in la la land when he hit the ice. Scott's last punch as Thornton was already falling caught him on the button.

I think any of the three mentioned would have had a better chance.  Lucic punch is hard and fast.  ST was outsized and out matched.  I thought that last one was the key punch. I think he was out.  It doesn't take much to cave a face in.  ST isn't the type not to come back.  He could be gone a while.   I really really dislike Scott. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think any of the three mentioned would have had a better chance.  Lucic punch is hard and fast.  ST was outsized and out matched.  I thought that last one was the key punch. I think he was out.  It doesn't take much to cave a face in.  ST isn't the type not to come back.  He could be gone a while.   I really really dislike Scott. 

I was hoping through most of the game that McQuaid would go after Scott. Ruff is also just a meathead putting him on with 12 seconds left and calling a timeout. It's a long season. We'll see Lindy welling up with tears at some point before it's over.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I was hoping through most of the game that McQuaid would go after Scott. Ruff is also just a meathead putting him on with 12 seconds left and calling a timeout. It's a long season. We'll see Lindy welling up with tears at some point before it's over.

Junior c move.  Theres a reason he's never won anything.  Hockey gods don't like that stuff.  It will come back to bite him.  When it does we can laugh about it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Agree !

Top defenseman or first/second line winger fight Scott ( a single digit minute thug ) ? Surprising what people want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

1)Complaining about who should be the 4th line winger is a good problem to have.

This team has cap space and skill and is a Cup contender.  All TOI needs to be utilized properly.

2) 5 goals is not useless when you neutralize the other team's goon from trying to goat Lucic or Chara into 5 minutes of being off the ice or hurt (like Callahan)

Callahan was injured during a fracas with Max Talbot, not a goon.  I'd rather have Chara and Lucic understand that they are not to fight goons (as they seem to understand) than waste a roster spot on on a goon.

3) Thornton has coughed it up for a goal but has also scored a big goal for the B's this year.  Even.  It's also worth noting that Lucic probably coughs up the puck the most in his own zone as a winger.  Not as many posts about this...just saying.

All players turn the puck over.  If you spend minimal time on the ice and your turnover results in an opponent's goal, it's going to be magnified.

4) If you have to rely on your 4th line for scoring, your team sucks.

This team doesn't have to rely on the fourth line for much outside of a breather for the skilled lines.

5) The 4th line typically sees less than 10 minutes of ice per game.  Thornton gets less than 6 because he does not kill penalities.

If he isn't needed for killing penalties and doesn't stop opponents from taking cheap shots on good players (Savard, Horton x 2, Skinner's slew foot on Bergeron etc), then what exactly is his purpose?

6) For those who want Thornton out of the 4th line spot, who do you want for his replacement?  Keep in mind point #2 and #4 before you answer.  Also, if you want a young guy there- do you want him to get less than 6 minutes of ice time per game for his development?

Caron or an actual hockey player acquired in trade or via free agency.  Again, the team has cap space.  There are plenty of UFAs that would fit very nicely there.

7) Some may want a guy with more experience for the 4th line role.

This team has plenty of experience.

8) Thornton has 2 Stanley Cup rings. Fact. This may help with #7.

This couldn't possibly mean less.

9) I watched the away broadcasts of the last two games and both sets of announcers commented on how deep Boston is and "that they have a very good 4th line"....not that it matters much...but just saying.  Maybe they are comparing our lineup to theirs.

Digging deep for more reasons here.  Out of town broadcasters are not a quality resource when evaluating the home team players.

10) Too much is made about being a "good guy in the locker room".  Not sure if this ultimately means anything in a results oriented business, but it is better than being a "complete A-hole" in the locker room.

Can't really justify the roster spot for a guy who isn't a complete a-hole.  There are plenty of those guys out there who can actually play hockey at the NHL level.

After 10 rounds of point-making the judge has gone to his scorecard.

Judge Chowda scores it 7-3 for the............................... NEW.......................heavyweight point-maker in BDC's world................................Luc Dufour................Dufour.