Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins

Not looking to stir the pot in promoting CJs' demise here, rather just looking to have a discussion about who his successor may be.  CJ won't be here forever, that much we know.  Winning the Jack Adams in '09 and the Cup last year solidifies his position as one of most successful B's coaches over the last couple decades.  He has done a great job.

One name that really intrigues me is Adam Oates.  His style probably couldn't be more opposite CJ's, but his past history with Neely and the B's organization makes him a viable candidate IMO.  I forget the details of his departure here, but I vaguely remember there may have been some controversy between him and the organization on his way out the door.  Fill me in if you remember.

Who would you like to see behind the bench when the day comes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins

Legit question Hang, now that Cam is firmly in place Harry has no say in consulting JJ that's Neely's job. Adam has that going for him and Cam thrived with Oates whan they played together and I would get my wish Geoff Ward would be gone.

AO made a statement in the media something along the lines of "Were not good enough, we need more players", Harry went berserk then shipped Oates to Washington in exchange for Carter and Alllison came over which turned out to be pretty darn good for a few years.

If the Bruins didn't make the playoffs this season I don't think Julien would be fired however if the Bruins then got off to a slow start next season I could see Cam wanting his ol buddy back in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Nobody out there better than Claude.............

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins:
    [QUOTE]Legit question Hang, now that Cam is firmly in place Harry has no say in consulting JJ that's Neely's job. Adam has that going for him and Cam thrived with Oates whan they played together and I would get my wish Geoff Ward would be gone. AO made a statement in the media something along the lines of "Were not good enough, we need more players", Harry went berserk then shipped Oates to Washington in exchange for Carter and Alllison came over which turned out to be pretty darn good for a few years. If the Bruins didn't make the playoffs this season I don't think Julien would be fired however if the Bruins then got off to a slow start next season I could see Cam wanting his ol buddy back in Boston.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Rick Tocchett said something as well. It ended up being Oates, Rick & Ranford. For Allison, Carter & Carey there may have been some draft picks swapping as well. Wouldn't it be awesome to try to have a Oates, Neely, Bourque & Sweeney coaching staff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77Fan. Show 77Fan's posts

Is Oates eaven coaching anywhere? (minors, ECHL etc..) I've never heard about him coaching. As for Ray, man they gotta bring him in as a defence consultant or something, like now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What!?  If by coaching staff you mean old-timers charity fundraiser lineup, yes, that would be awesome!

Adam Oates has exactly how much coaching experience?  Seriously, how much?  Near as I can tell, we did something like coach faceoffs and provide input into PP strategy under the wildly successful Rick Tocchet regime in T-bay, then did another stint as second assistant in NJ that lasted about ten minutes.  He hasn't coached in two years.  Yet he's the guy who will come in and find the magic for this team again?

Seriously, what do you mean his "style" is the opposite of Claude's?  What style?  As a player?  Sure.  But he wouldn't be a player.  And NHL history is riddled with examples of great players trying to make other players play the game the way they did and failing miserably.  Did Gretzky make Phoenix a wild scoring frenzy?  No.  He actually tried to make them a gritty, defensively responsible team.

God love Adam Oates - he's smart, articulate, and he might actually have something to offer as a coach.  But really?  Replace a career coach with a Cup and two Jack Adams trophies a year after you win it all with a guy with no resume other than a friendship with the President of the team?  Are you Daniel Snyder?  Jerry Jones?  Harrold Ballard?  Darryl Sutter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Is Oates eaven coaching anywhere? (minors, ECHL etc..) I've never heard about him coaching. As for Ray, man they gotta bring him in as a defence consultant or something, like now.
    Posted by 77Fan[/QUOTE]
    I don't think a new coaching staff would work right now. It's the players that have to work their way out of this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]What!?  If by coaching staff you mean old-timers charity fundraiser lineup, yes, that would be awesome! Adam Oates has exactly how much coaching experience?  Seriously, how much?  Near as I can tell, we did something like coach faceoffs and provide input into PP strategy under the wildly successful Rick Tocchet regime in T-bay, then did another stint as second assistant in NJ that lasted about ten minutes.  He hasn't coached in two years.  Yet he's the guy who will come in and find the magic for this team again? Seriously, what do you mean his "style" is the opposite of Claude's?  What style?  As a player?  Sure.  But he wouldn't be a player.  And NHL history is riddled with examples of great players trying to make other players play the game the way they did and failing miserably.  Did Gretzky make Phoenix a wild scoring frenzy?  No.  He actually tried to make them a gritty, defensively responsible team. God love Adam Oates - he's smart, articulate, and he might actually have something to offer as a coach.  But really?  Replace a career coach with a Cup and two Jack Adams trophies a year after you win it all with a guy with no resume other than a friendship with the President of the team?  Are you Daniel Snyder?  Jerry Jones?  Harrold Ballard?  Darryl Sutter?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Calm down Book. I didn't say now. I think it would be cool to see those four behind a bench someday. If the B's were starting from scratch & wanted some new blood with some old faces coaching. I don't know how good they'd be. It still would be interesting to see those four back there & see what they could/couldn't do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Please STOP! Like it's even close to being his fault!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the  failing is on the ice. coach needs to bring back the gumshoe lookin hat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins : I don't think a new coaching staff would work right now. It's the players that have to work their way out of this.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Not even the immortal PP coach Ward?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins : Not even the immortal PP coach Ward?
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    Well...There are exceptions to every rule!Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins : Well...There are exceptions to every rule!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Maybe Oates could start low on the ladder by replacing Ward? Adam did know a thing or two about how to move the puck.

Great, now I am starting to get onto the idea hiring Oates....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]What!?  If by coaching staff you mean old-timers charity fundraiser lineup, yes, that would be awesome! Adam Oates has exactly how much coaching experience?  Seriously, how much?  Near as I can tell, we did something like coach faceoffs and provide input into PP strategy under the wildly successful Rick Tocchet regime in T-bay, then did another stint as second assistant in NJ that lasted about ten minutes.  He hasn't coached in two years.  Yet he's the guy who will come in and find the magic for this team again? Seriously, what do you mean his "style" is the opposite of Claude's?  What style?  As a player?  Sure.  But he wouldn't be a player.  And NHL history is riddled with examples of great players trying to make other players play the game the way they did and failing miserably.  Did Gretzky make Phoenix a wild scoring frenzy?  No.  He actually tried to make them a gritty, defensively responsible team. God love Adam Oates - he's smart, articulate, and he might actually have something to offer as a coach.  But really?  Replace a career coach with a Cup and two Jack Adams trophies a year after you win it all with a guy with no resume other than a friendship with the President of the team?  Are you Daniel Snyder?  Jerry Jones?  Harrold Ballard?  Darryl Sutter?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

BB - I'm just throwing a name out there as I've invited others to do.  Oates is currently the second assistant coach for the Devils working with John McLean and Larry Robinson so your assertion that he hasn't coached in 2 years is incorrect.

And I am not saying that he is an immediate replacement for Claude.  Of course Oates would need to cut his teeth some more and  head coach at a high level somewhere else, before the NHL  But to me it seems like a possible fit...someday.

Just creating a diversion from all the "sky is falling" threads.  I happen to think CJ has done a great job and wish him no ill.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I don't think CJ's job is in jeopardy.  He can't control injuries, which have been a big part of the B's current woes.  If you're going to blame anyone now, look towards PC, because he's the one in charge of depth.

Now, if CJ has a healthy team to work with, and they still stink, that's a different matter entirely.

As for eventual replacements (because as was mentioned, no coach stays forever), you choose a new coach from the best available candidates at the time; and since the time is not now, the discussion is moot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think CJ's job is in jeopardy.  He can't control injuries, which have been a big part of the B's current woes.  If you're going to blame anyone now, look towards PC, because he's the one in charge of depth. Now, if CJ has a healthy team to work with, and they still stink, that's a different matter entirely. As for eventual replacements (because as was mentioned, no coach stays forever), you choose a new coach from the best available candidates at the time; and since the time is not now, the discussion is moot.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Thanks for enlightening us.  Now go back to bed, it's still early where you are.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins : BB - I'm just throwing a name out there as I've invited others to do.  Oates is currently the second assistant coach for the Devils working with John McLean and Larry Robinson so your assertion that he hasn't coached in 2 years is incorrect. And I am not saying that he is an immediate replacement for Claude.  Of course Oates would need to cut his teeth some more and  head coach at a high level somewhere else, before the NHL  But to me it seems like a possible fit...someday. Just creating a diversion from all the "sky is falling" threads.  I happen to think CJ has done a great job and wish him no ill.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  I thought he'd been canned along with McLean - Peter DeBoer is the Devils head man now after Kovalchuk got McLean booted.

But even then - you figure the two places you might want Oates's experience and smarts are the PP and on draws.  NJ is second last in FO% and 16th in PP even with Kovalchuk, Elias....

As for reuniting the 90s Bruin stars as coaches - it's the old rule of those who can do, these guys could really do.  Coaching is another matter.  I don't have any reason to think any of those guys would be good coaches except maybe the guy who wasn't really a star - Sweeney. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think CJ's job is in jeopardy.  He can't control injuries, which have been a big part of the B's current woes.  If you're going to blame anyone now, look towards PC, because he's the one in charge of depth. Now, if CJ has a healthy team to work with, and they still stink, that's a different matter entirely. As for eventual replacements (because as was mentioned, no coach stays forever), you choose a new coach from the best available candidates at the time; and since the time is not now, the discussion is moot.
       When you make these kind of comments, it reminds me why I haven't put you on 'ignore' yet :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Byron Bitz.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Book, you are really in your observable thinking cap on this. Look at how Milbury and Casper performed. then check out the St.Louis record under their new retread coach. I don't always agree with claude, do I Chowda, but he has deserved his kudos. My concern has always been his limited flexibility, some call it stubborn. He's done quite well with this team because Peter has provided him with the type of players who can contribute to the system Claue wants to play. This year is an abberation where the bottom tier was really the bottom tier.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Let's keep CJ a little longer please...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins : Thanks for enlightening us.  Now go back to bed, it's still early where you are.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

"Six in row beginning Tuesday March 6 in Toronto.  Book it."

Sound familiar? Nice call.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Introducing the Next Head Coach of Your Boston Bruins : "Six in row beginning Tuesday March 6 in Toronto.  Book it. " Sound familiar? Nice call.

Well I was close.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

Bob Sweeney is the next B's head coach but it's a few years out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Good players don't always make good coach !!!!!!! Ask Maurice Richard, Gretzky)

And good coach were not necessarily ex players and mostly not ex fabulous players. CJ falls in that category

Sections
Shortcuts