Is Eriksson a bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Re: Is Eriksson a bust

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to marco0863's comment:

look kel sometimes i think you think i am the only one calling him a game breaker . The guy is a game breaker an elite player and you do not have to be on a cup team to be a game breaker.  Toronto is highly dependent on keseel if he goes whatever chances they have in playoffs go with him 

I will agree with that. That is well put.

However, I would rather have Krejci on the Bruins right now than Kessel. Pittsburgh, would Kessel over Krejci.

ah this a tougher argument- but choosing krejci is certainly valid . i would take kessel but love to have them both.  Already had picked their nicknames the special k's ok back to reality

• You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to bruinsfan084evr's comment:

Claudes system would even make the great one look like a bust Eriksson will be ok give it time 

I knew this would come. I think some really put way to much emphasis on julien style of play like he's got this unique brand of hockey that's takes a special breed of players to plsy in- come of it these are nothing but excuses.  

It is no end of bizarre how your allegiance is with the player who's gone in every circumstance.  They deal Kessel, get Seguin, and they're stupid because Seguin will never be as good as Kessel in your eyes.  They deal Seguin, get Eriksson and a pile of other stuff, and they're stupid because Seguin is scoring in Dallas and Eriksson isn't in Boston.  If they deal Eriksson, he'll become a god and whoever they get, you'll talk them down like they're Zach Hamill.  75% of the people on this board have wished Seguin well in Dallas and hope he realizes his potential.  A few would be just as happy to see him fail, and I get that because kid or not, anyone who shows up to a Stanley Cup playoff game 'smelling like a brewery' needs help if he's got a problem, or needs to be gone from a team that's all about perpetuating a winning culture.  I'm in the 5% who could give a rat's what Seguin does in Dallas.  Kessel, I wanted to eat it in Toronto, and he obliged for three glorious years including two that led to nice, high draft picks for the Bruins.  I care less about him now, except when someone like you thinks there's some good reason to throw the success of former Bruin players out there like a Habs troll as if to say "see?!?! See how stupid your GM is?"  Stupid GM has a Cup ring, a Finals apprearance, and a highly competitive core group under the age of 28.

I want Eriksson to play  better because I want the Bruins to win more.  Same reason I want Marchandy Duncan to play better. And Chara, and Bergeron and Kelly.  Has absolutely nothing to do with Seguin.

I think you have Marco pegged pretty bang on here, with heavy emphasis on Habs troll. 100% of his posts are about all the mistakes the B's have  made, how bad they are and how good the players they traded away are doing. Doesn't sound like a fan, more like a Hab troll, hence the poor english.

anyone who thinks i have anything to do withe habs is just plain silly and shows me that if they have such hard time reading me then how can they read some moves or evaluate moves the bruins do. I hate the mtl( do not even want to say habs because it is like i am glorifying them) and a mtl at least most do not know about the bruins . been a long time fan my friend and when yyou say that it is as if you are out of defence and out of your mind. Really do not want to start a confrontation but think and really do you think i am really a mtl fan .

as i said sports is a business for the players, owners and fans- as a youngster i applauded everything the bruins did but now when i like what they do i say or when or hate what they do i also mention it. It is all about projection and as i said and doesnt look like you agree the bruins were the team of the decade a modern day dynasty with the nucleus we had( it has been diminished) we would have ben wallowing in cup champagne quite often - Call me stanley if you wish but i saw this coming

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There's a big question at the root of this - do you want the best players or the best team?  Bruins have proven, and I would say Chicago and LA have proven, that the best team wins Cups.  Sometimes, the best teams have the best players, and sometimes the teams with the best players get bogged down trying to "build around" their best players or keep those players at any cost to the point where they can't improve the team.  Tampa Bay is an example of this, and if you look at the standings as of today, I think there's something to be said for cutting bait with "stars" like Lecavalier in order to get better across the organization.  Crosby and Malkin are more talented "game breakers" than anyone on the Bruins, but the Bruins team throttled them into submission in four games.  0-0-0.  Someone ought to call KPD and Joe Thornton to hold some official ceremony where this is no longer referred to as "the full Thornton" but maybe "the full Penguin"?  What do you think the Hurricanes could do in terms of improving their overall prospects if they cut bait and made a deal involving Staal?  How much more competitive would the Oilers be if they could upgrade 3 positions by dealing Hall or Eberle?

It's not enough for a player to be a great player.  He has to be the right player.  And with the Cap, being the "right" player means more than just scoring a lot of goals and points.  I would not take Phil Kessel's new contract if I was another team's GM.  He still feasts on weak teams to rack up his stats. 10 of his 19 points have come in 3 games including a four pointer against Edmonton.  I could pull out my thesaurus and give you a whole boatload of adjectives describing how great Kessel is as a goalscorer, and that wouldn't change my overall opinion that the Bruins got better by trading him than they ever would have been if they kept him.  The Cap means you don't default to keeping high end scorers until they get old and crappy.  The Cap means you get the most you can out of them for what you have to pay them.  Sometimes, that means making a deal and diversifying that value.  That's the Seguin deal in a nutshell.  That deal took a little off the top of the 2nd line RW (as I pointed out above, so far, the difference in terms of that position's performance is negligible, so whatever additional talent the Bruins were paying for with Seguin wasn't generating results) and put it into a significant upgrade on the 3rd line RW in Smith, plus an upgrade on the first line in Providence and restocking the top end of the D prospect pool. 

The Bruins come at you in waves.  They don't want to "break" the game.  They want to play the game, because as long as they do it the way they can, they will impose their game on yours, come to your house, and, like Ron Swanson, eat all of your bacon and eggs.  When this team is on, it's like a force of nature.  And they've consistently eaten "gamebreakers" for breakfast.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

You guys have done a good job feeding the Habs troll.  I think he's full,  But you know he'll be back to make you say the same thing over and over.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

I have no issues with Chiarelli making Krejci a priority of Kessel. Even today I would do the same. I don't care what either makes, one player making more money than another has nothing to do with who is better. If Boston offered Toronto Krejci for Kessel, Nonis would do that trade in a second.

I know I would make that trade in a second also.

no way no way= u kidding me guys pls some vision- krejci is one of the craftiest playmakers in the game and a hot playoff player but take out kessel and put krejci in toronto and toronto chances of making playoffs are vastly reduced. Why? krecji is a player who feeds kessel feeds and gets feeded - (a game breaker) 

You keep calling him a game breaker.  Wins and losses suggest he is not.

look kel sometimes i think you think i am the only one calling him a game breaker . The guy is a game breaker an elite player and you do not have to be on a cup team to be a game breaker.  Toronto is highly dependent on keseel if he goes whatever chances they have in playoffs go with him 

Kessel is a game breaker for sure.  Same way stampkos and ovi are game breakers.  The same way seguin is going to be a game breaker.  When they get into that mindset they are hard to stop and what seperates them from players like loui. 

In response to hangnail's comment:

You guys have done a good job feeding the Habs troll.  I think he's full,  But you know he'll be back to make you say the same thing over and over.

to bad we cannot talk elsewhere then on a forum then and only then you would see how foolish you are saying i have anything to do with mtl- in fact bet you you do not hate mtl one 100th as much as i do but keep believeing that if it makes you feel better

Yep.  I know.  But it's a very lousy day outside and I am doing some boring work for a board I volunteer to be on, and occasionally the frustration of what I should be doing is vented for a time by responding to marco.

In the end, I don't think marco is a habs troll.  I've known too many people who think like he does.  The only thing that's Shabby with marco is that he thinks about hockey like a Montrealais.  It's the climate that will prevent the Shabs from ever being good again - a need for the superstars rather than building the best team.  If I actually thought marco didn't care about the Bruins, I wouldn't bother - catharsis or no catharsis.

Yep.  I know.  But it's a very lousy day outside and I am doing some boring work for a board I volunteer to be on, and occasionally the frustration of what I should be doing is vented for a time by responding to marco.

In the end, I don't think marco is a habs troll.  I've known too many people who think like he does.  The only thing that's Shabby with marco is that he thinks about hockey like a Montrealais.  It's the climate that will prevent the Shabs from ever being good again - a need for the superstars rather than building the best team.  If I actually thought marco didn't care about the Bruins, I wouldn't bother - catharsis or no catharsis.

Book, you and i do not agree very often and that is fine and  you are smart enough to see that i am the last thing on earth close to a habs troll. what do you mean i think like montrealais - pls explain but do know something whether ppl want to admit or not i know athing or two about hockey and more precisely the bruins.  as i said if i met anyone here outside  from this forum no one would be absurd to say that i am a mtl fkn fan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Getting back to Eriksson (jeesh), is he a bust?

Answer: waaaayyyy too early for this conversation.

However, if the question was; "so far, who looks to have won this trade: Dallas or Boston?" then I am sure almost everyone would have to say Dallas.

Why? Because the trade is almost always won by who has received the best player and there is no doubt that, at this moment, Seguin is currently the best player in this deal.

Defensively ? How important are centers when the serious grinding of the playoffs start ?

Offensively ? Bergeron had 31 goals and 73 point season. Seguin's best so far- 29 goals with 67 points, both in 81 games. When Tyler has a PPG playoff production like Krejci's in 2011 and 2013 then we will be able to discuss.

You are discussing a left wing versus a center, both roles for each team are different. The trade wasn't Seguin for Eriksson straight up. Also we don't have all potential statistics for Loui because of injury.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:

Trades, trades who got the best of the trades. I swear that if the internet had been invented thirty years ago some of you would still be debating the Al Secord for Mike O'Connell deal. 

CHI raped the B's on that one.

Good one. Yes, they certainly did. 

Rumour is that O'Connell traded Thornton just so he wasn't a punchline in the worst trade in Bruins history...old Mike didn't really think that one through.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

You are discussing a left wing versus a center, both roles for each team are different. The trade wasn't Seguin for Eriksson straight up. Also we don't have all potential statistics for Loui because of injury.

I agree hence why I said way too early to call Eriksson a bust. That said, there should be little argument that as of this moment Seguin is the best player in that trade. Yes, Eriksson had the injury but that does not take away from this fact.

I know you like Smith and he has started well, but he is a career third liner and Eriksson has been playing like one the past two seasons. One of the players in this trade will be invited to the All Star game this season and guess who that will be? Hint, it won't be any former Dallas Star currently playing for the Bruins.

So yes, I would say that when evaluating the current situation, Dallas has won the trade.

But again, it is waaaayyyy to early to fighting about this....much can happen in the next 1, 2, or 3 years that can change this.

Now, let's go stomp some Leafs!!!

Rumour is that O'Connell traded Thornton just so he wasn't a punchline in the worst trade in Bruins history...old Mike didn't really think that one through.

You know, if Sinden had not traded Secord for O'Connell JT may still be a Bruin.....lol!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

You know I'm just pi55ing with you, right?

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Book there's some things I know & somethings I don't. I know you, NAS, San, Kel, Shupe, Fletch, Legion, Fletch are some of the best in this forum & busting chops is all part of that. All good. One thing I don't know...Sometimes I take bogie with a grain of salt & I listen to NAS' reasoning & let him rant. Depending on the day & what else is affecting it; is how what he says affects me. I shouldn't tell anyone to shut up outside of Stanley though. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Glad this post created so much discussion. JW is right on so far, and NOB seems to be understanding that observations and suggestions are what we like to review. Good arguments are helpful all around as I learned since I never saw Loui in action, so began to think that Chia got duped. However Hamilton[ from Kessel] is showing great skills; Loui and Fraser and Smith etc. are the Bruins future[ maybe] [ also from Kessel via Seguin] As for Claude's "system", without Chara ,Bergeron,Kreji, Seidenberg, and great goal-tending, Claude's system is in trouble. Those observations create concerns when opposing coaches devise competative solutions to mitigate the strong points in Claude's "system". And please remember how many years we've watched the non-moving PP umbrella, until finally Krug [ innate skill] and others have shown how to create goals.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You know, if Sinden had not traded Secord for O'Connell JT may still be a Bruin.....lol!

And the Bruins wouldn't have been swept out of the playoffs from 84'-87'. That 4 year span was brutal to be a Bs fan.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Maybe Dallas never sent Loui to the Bruins, it could be another guy wearing a # 21 jersey.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Loui came from Dallas to CJ's system of playing.  It's a learning curve to figure it out. If the Bs keep winning and he clicks in a month or so, this is all moot.

FWIW, he looked a lot better in the 3rd against the Leafs and the whole game against TB.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

I join this thread late.

The true fruits of the trade will not be borne until the playoffs.

All the talk in the meantime is verbal diarrhea.

Like Jim Benning said, in Behind the B: "We'll miss his (Seguin's) speed in the regular season. We won't miss it in the playoffs."

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

And the Bruins wouldn't have been swept out of the playoffs from 84'-87'. That 4 year span was brutal to be a Bs fan.

Ugh....thanks for making me remember that era. Doug Keans and Pat Riggin in nets....lol!

Thems were lonely times...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

This was fun to read as an overall thread.  I agree with JM, way too early to judge slick Loui.  If one could take ten games Horton played last year then do a quick evaluation, some would say he was a floater and a non factor on the first line.  Don't judge on 10 games.  Eriksson can play defense, given it's empahsis in the playoffs, I think Eriksson would be an upgrade on this year's version of TS.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Looks like I haven't missed much while I worked. Ridiculous to judge a trade after 20% of a season has been played. Seguin is only 6 points ahead of Reilly Smith at this point after playing an extra game. If he was the "gamebreaker" that Shupe claims he is, wouldn't he be miles ahead of a 3rd liner from the Bruins? Seguin is gone and they received a consistent 2 way player in Loui, along with very good supporting pieces. The Bruins are also winning hockey games so what's the problem? Let's at least wait until the playoffs are over before trying to pick a winner on this one.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

There's a big question at the root of this - do you want the best players or the best team?  Bruins have proven, and I would say Chicago and LA have proven, that the best team wins Cups.  Sometimes, the best teams have the best players, and sometimes the teams with the best players get bogged down trying to "build around" their best players or keep those players at any cost to the point where they can't improve the team.  Tampa Bay is an example of this, and if you look at the standings as of today, I think there's something to be said for cutting bait with "stars" like Lecavalier in order to get better across the organization.  Crosby and Malkin are more talented "game breakers" than anyone on the Bruins, but the Bruins team throttled them into submission in four games.  0-0-0.  Someone ought to call KPD and Joe Thornton to hold some official ceremony where this is no longer referred to as "the full Thornton" but maybe "the full Penguin"?  What do you think the Hurricanes could do in terms of improving their overall prospects if they cut bait and made a deal involving Staal?  How much more competitive would the Oilers be if they could upgrade 3 positions by dealing Hall or Eberle?

It's not enough for a player to be a great player.  He has to be the right player.  And with the Cap, being the "right" player means more than just scoring a lot of goals and points.  I would not take Phil Kessel's new contract if I was another team's GM.  He still feasts on weak teams to rack up his stats. 10 of his 19 points have come in 3 games including a four pointer against Edmonton.  I could pull out my thesaurus and give you a whole boatload of adjectives describing how great Kessel is as a goalscorer, and that wouldn't change my overall opinion that the Bruins got better by trading him than they ever would have been if they kept him.  The Cap means you don't default to keeping high end scorers until they get old and crappy.  The Cap means you get the most you can out of them for what you have to pay them.  Sometimes, that means making a deal and diversifying that value.  That's the Seguin deal in a nutshell.  That deal took a little off the top of the 2nd line RW (as I pointed out above, so far, the difference in terms of that position's performance is negligible, so whatever additional talent the Bruins were paying for with Seguin wasn't generating results) and put it into a significant upgrade on the 3rd line RW in Smith, plus an upgrade on the first line in Providence and restocking the top end of the D prospect pool. 

The Bruins come at you in waves.  They don't want to "break" the game.  They want to play the game, because as long as they do it the way they can, they will impose their game on yours, come to your house, and, like Ron Swanson, eat all of your bacon and eggs.  When this team is on, it's like a force of nature.  And they've consistently eaten "gamebreakers" for breakfast.

This post ^ says it all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dwtime. Show dwtime's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

This was fun to read as an overall thread.  I agree with JM, way too early to judge slick Loui.  If one could take ten games Horton played last year then do a quick evaluation, some would say he was a floater and a non factor on the first line.  Don't judge on 10 games.  Eriksson can play defense, given it's empahsis in the playoffs, I think Eriksson would be an upgrade on this year's version of TS.  

TS has 10 goals and 10 assists in 19 games so far, and you think Lou (6 points in 13 games) is an upgrade over that?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Let's see, Iggy, Loui, Soderberg and Smith...OR...Horton, Seguin, Pevs and Jagr. I'll take what we've got right now. Obviously, Loui and Carl's adjustment has required a bit of patience on our part. Not sure if it was the injuries, getting up to speed with Claude's system, the shuffling of the line mates or all the above. Thankfully, both are starting to look comfortable and have been more effective the past few games. I like all of our new guys!

• Sections
    Shortcuts