Is Ference Nuts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Is Ference Nuts?

The Bruins had pretty much dominated the flow of play during the final period and into OT, but Ference---channeling his inner Bobby Orr---tries a rink length dash up the ice and winds up drilling McDonagh into the boards behind the net. That 5 minute major penalty, that we came within 3 seconds of killing, cost the Bruins the game. Maybe it's just me but Bruins defensemen need to concentrate on playing defense and not getting caught up ice or doing something like Ference did.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Is Ference Nuts?

In Response to Is Ference Nuts?:
    [QUOTE] The Bruins had pretty much dominated the flow of play during the final period and into OT, but Ference---channeling his inner Bobby Orr---tries a rink length dash up the ice and winds up drilling McDonagh into the boards behind the net. That 5 minute major penalty, that we came within 3 seconds of killing, cost the Bruins the game. Maybe it's just me but Bruins defensemen need to concentrate on playing defense and not getting caught up ice or doing something like Ference did.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]
    Julien has been encouraging the d-men to become more involved  in the offensive end. With it being 4 on 4, and with more open ice, Ference took a chance. Good idea,bad result.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

And it was d-men who scored both goals! What a dumb thing to say! Even NJ d-men pinched during the trap era!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Is Ference Nuts?:
    [QUOTE] The Bruins had pretty much dominated the flow of play during the final period and into OT, but Ference---channeling his inner Bobby Orr---tries a rink length dash up the ice and winds up drilling McDonagh into the boards behind the net. That 5 minute major penalty, that we came within 3 seconds of killing, cost the Bruins the game. Maybe it's just me but Bruins defensemen need to concentrate on playing defense and not getting caught up ice or doing something like Ference did.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

What?  Did you watch the game?  Did you have a problem with Ference jumping up when he scored the first goal?  How about when McQuaid jumped up to score the second goal?  You would have preferred a 2-0 Ranger shutout?

With 4-on-4 overtime hockey positions rotate a lot and when the forwards are changing, a d-man might try to get the puck deep and get possesion.  It actually makes no sense at all to play safe in overtime since you cannot lose a point, you can only gain one by scoring.  You should take chances in OT, moreso than any otheer time.  Of all the criticism of Ference (some warranted) this one makes the least sense.

You don't watch much hockey do you?  The Bruins defense has given up the least amount of goals of any team in the NHL this year.  That makes your advice about "concentrating on playing defense" seem woefully uninformed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canuck fan. Show Canuck fan's posts

I have no problem with the D jumping into the play but the Bruins are so focused on hurting opposing players they tend to be reckless. That is what cost them the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ference Nuts?:
    [QUOTE]I have no problem with the D jumping into the play but the Bruins are so focused on hurting opposing players they tend to be reckless. That is what cost them the game.
    Posted by Canuck fan[/QUOTE]
    Oh boy, another lame Nuck fan, just what this board needs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem with the D jumping into the play but the Bruins are so focused on hurting opposing players they tend to be reckless. That is what cost them the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

It's also what won them the cup

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Waaaahhhhhhhhh!  No Cup for you.  You guys keep celebrating suspensions and we'll keep celebrating Cups!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the only thing Ference did wrong was ramming the kid into the boards....

just like Fletcher said, in ot you go all out for the win and not worry about playing defense....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is Ference Nuts? : What?  Did you watch the game?  Did you have a problem with Ference jumping up when he scored the first goal?  How about when McQuaid jumped up to score the second goal?  You would have preferred a 2-0 Ranger shutout? With 4-on-4 overtime hockey positions rotate a lot and when the forwards are changing, a d-man might try to get the puck deep and get possesion.  It actually makes no sense at all to play safe in overtime since you cannot lose a point, you can only gain one by scoring.  You should take chances in OT, moreso than any otheer time.  Of all the criticism of Ference (some warranted) this one makes the least sense. You don't watch much hockey do you?  The Bruins defense has given up the least amount of goals of any team in the NHL this year.  That makes your advice about "concentrating on playing defense" seem woefully uninformed.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
     I did watch the game and I watch every game. It's pretty arrogant of you to suggest that people who have a different opinion than you haven't watched the games. Ference took a 5 minute penalty for drilling a guy into the boards. It was totally unnecessary and it cost the Bruins the game. As to defensemen getting caught up ice, I just think it's happening too often this season and it's been costing the Bruins goals. I played defense and certainly youi can pinch up to keep the puck in the zone or even to get shots off at the net, but I just don't see getting caught up behind the oppositions net. The 4 on 4 is played a little looser but even when Chara does it I shudder. Maybe your points would be a little more effective if you made them without trying to insult other posters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Ference Nuts? :  I did watch the game and I watch every game. It's pretty arrogant of you to suggest that people who have a different opinion than you haven't watched the games. Ference took a 5 minute penalty for drilling a guy into the boards. It was totally unnecessary and it cost the Bruins the game. As to defensemen getting caught up ice, I just think it's happening too often this season and it's been costing the Bruins goals. I played defense and certainly youi can pinch up to keep the puck in the zone or even to get shots off at the net, but I just don't see getting caught up behind the oppositions net. The 4 on 4 is played a little looser but even when Chara does it I shudder. Maybe your points would be a little more effective if you made them without trying to insult other posters.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

the b's do this quite a bit.  the dman dumps it in, keeps going and is the 1st one in on the forecheck.  i've seen ferrence, seidenberg and others do it.  it's not like ferrence just came up with the notion during this game and did it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

...and you know he went up there just to injure as opposed to trying to chase the puck deep for a scoring opportunity in a 4 on 4 because why? You are clairvoyant? Ference told you? The B's would rather hurt someone than win the game? The Bruin's stole your binky?

Sour Grapes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Ference Nuts? :  I did watch the game and I watch every game. It's pretty arrogant of you to suggest that people who have a different opinion than you haven't watched the games. Ference took a 5 minute penalty for drilling a guy into the boards. It was totally unnecessary and it cost the Bruins the game. As to defensemen getting caught up ice, I just think it's happening too often this season and it's been costing the Bruins goals. I played defense and certainly youi can pinch up to keep the puck in the zone or even to get shots off at the net, but I just don't see getting caught up behind the oppositions net. The 4 on 4 is played a little looser but even when Chara does it I shudder. Maybe your points would be a little more effective if you made them without trying to insult other posters.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Sorry trouts, I went a little too strong on that post.  Re-read it, and I agree I was being a d*ck.

I think you are wrong about both the play in question and the notion that Bruins D-men jump up in play too much and don't concentrate on defense.

Further, I really want them to do what Ference did (not the hit) in overtime.  The forwards were changing so you've got three guys behind him and he tries to get the puck deep instead of just dumping it in.  I like going for the extra point in OT, as long as three or four guys are not all deep in the zone.

Cheers,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Agree to disagree. I saw the play live and it didn't look that bad. Replay shows that the guy looked over his shoulder, saw Ferrence coming full steam ahead, TURNED his back to him to shield the puck and got freight trained. Maybe he should have been a little more careful with how he positioned himself to avoid getting creamed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from myoung125. Show myoung125's posts

This from the NY Post. Ignore the headline as the article has quotes from McDonagh's point of view.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapshot/rangers_mcdonagh_won_miss_time_after_VpfEBynjyxgHZ9ICZb6sjI

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

“I knew he was on me, it’s a play I’ve made hundreds of times, but I didn’t realize until I saw it later that we clipped feet, and that’s what caused me to lose my balance,” McDonagh said. “Normally, you feel the guy on you and can make the decision to turn left or right, but when he hit my skate, I went flying.

"It wasn't intentional."

Sigh... How come these guys never say things like this BEFORE the suspension is handed down?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from myoung125. Show myoung125's posts

I was highly surprised when I read that. Said the wind was knocked out of him, thats why he stayed down. No head contact with the boards...they just caught feet.

Wow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]I was highly surprised when I read that. Said the wind was knocked out of him, thats why he stayed down. No head contact with the boards...they just caught feet. Wow.
    Posted by myoung125[/QUOTE]

you could see that in 1 of the replays.  i thought he might have hurt his shoulder or something.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I thought whiplash was the most likely injury.  Good to hear he wasn't hurt.  Always glad when a player keeps his head on straight and makes comments like this.  Remember the guy McQuaid slew-foot/knee-on-kneed?  More players and coaches take stances like that and maybe all this furor over hits dies down some.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]“I knew he was on me, it’s a play I’ve made hundreds of times, but I didn’t realize until I saw it later that we clipped feet, and that’s what caused me to lose my balance,” McDonagh said. “Normally, you feel the guy on you and can make the decision to turn left or right, but when he hit my skate, I went flying. "It wasn't intentional." Sigh... How come these guys never say things like this BEFORE the suspension is handed down?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Good grief, will somebody send this quote to Shanahan please?  Makes Tortorella look even more stupid too.

So it wasn't 'the most dangerous hit' we've seen all season??

In the climate of faking and exaggerating injuries that we have seen recently, I would like to say how much respect I have for McDonough and his comments.  And the same for Krejci after the Subban hit.

Sections
Shortcuts