Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?

In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? :  you are 1000% wrong. Patriots fans for the most part are front runners.  Hockey and B's are #2
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that.  Personally, I've been following the Pats since I was a kid growing up in the 70s. I think NFL football in general just keeps getting more and more popular so it draws in more fans--not just in Boston, but all across the US and even up here in Canada. I think that trend is going to continue--in part because the NFL is so well managed that they don't have very many teams that languish at the bottom of the league for long periods of time any more. Even miserable Detroit is starting to look interesting.  The Pats will eventually be less great than they are now, but I think the fan base is as permanent now as anything in sports can ever be. 

In Boston, the Red Sox are sort of like Fanueil Hall or Durgin Park.  They're an institution that is as much a part of the city as the Old North Church. You can think baseball is the dullest sport in the world, but if you live in Boston, you're still going to love the Green Monster. 

Celts and Bruins will continue to vie for third place--each one growing or shrinking in popularity with the quality of the teams.  I think Bruins fans are more devoted and passionate, but I think the Celts still have a broader following.  It's a quality vs. quantity thing. Bruins are slightly ahead in quality of the fan base, I think, while the Celts are slightly ahead in quantity.  But mostly, the popularity of those two teams fluctuates with who's winning. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When the Sox sucked, which has been a long time since, the park was half empty. When the Celtics sucked, no one cared. When the Pats sucked, no one cared. When the B's sucked, that TD Garden somehow how more fans than not. My point? B's fans didn't give up on the franchise. In the other 3 sports, my guess is without constantly being one of the top 5 franchises in those 3 sports, you would see a rapid drop in fan following. B's is No. 1. Always felt that, was brought up to believe that, and seem validated by the way this Cup run was treated even media-wise. If tomorrow there was no Tom Brady, no AGON/Beckett/Pedroia, etc, and no Paul Pierce, or the stars were gone, the team's following would drop by the bucketfull. Even when the B's traded away Thornton/Samsonov, it seemed that while the B's were rock bottom, the fans at least came to the Garden to boo, which is better than not showing up at all. I say this as a huge, huge Pats, Sox fan and parttime Celts fan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I love the Bruins and hockey. when I was in High school our West Roxbury pick-up hockey team had players from every Boston high School... Latin, English, Trade,B.C. High, Cathedral, This was many years before Catholic memorial was a dream. At the same time we Had Williams, Doerr,Dominic DiMaggio, so the Red Sox were no 1 and Bruins # 2. To me it's still the same, though I nod off more with the Sox, and never with the B's. Go Bruins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : Agreed. Yes the Bruins had higher ratings than the Celtics in the finals. But the Celtics had higher regular season ratings. I think the Bruins and Celtics are about the same in terms of popularity.
    Posted by dangerous22[/QUOTE]

You may be right.  Although, I still Boston has a large following in hockey because of all the good teams in college.  Boston really doesn't have good college teams in Boston besides football and hockey.  Their college football teams aren't ranked among the top, but they are decent.  Northestern just had one of their players win the NBA championship.  That is only the 2nd time that someone from Northeastern won the championship.  Reggie Lewis is of course the best player from Northeastern to ever make it to the NBA.  Northeastern certainly isn't even close to the top level of college basketball teams. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Today they are #1 with all of the others a distant second.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : You are insane.  The Pats are EVERYWHERE, and Pats gear is everywhere.  If you want, I'll let you retract the statement because it was clearly made with your heart and not with your mind.  I'll hold off on warming up the coals to drag you across for now.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    thank you. but in the long run ,i guess it doesn't really matter who is 2 or 3 because the Bruins have the Cup and that's #1 !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

[QUOTE]NO. it's the # 2 sport. don't be fooled by the phony front running Patriot fans. soon as that team goes downhill so will the phonies.

Bingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : The Patriots have sold out every home game since 1993.  That's sort of a long time.  Tell me, jerryNEWYORK, do you spend a lot of time talking with all of your friends, family, co-workers and random people you know in New England?

Do you remember the attendance from say, 1980-1992, maybe 1985 being an exception?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Amoung the true diehard fans of all the Boston teams, the Bruins fans are far more loyal and clearly are the town's best fans.

Half the Pats fan don't know diddly about the game of football in general, I'm not buying the Celts, and you could argue the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

Football has become the national pasttime but just prior to the Parcells era, the Pats season tickets were the equivalent by percentage to what the B's were pre the Savard/Chara signings.

Let's see what happens post Brady n Belichick...

At the moment, one of the most successful teams in the history of sports is number 4 in its own home town....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ICEMANTIZPOSTERSLICKBALLS. Show ICEMANTIZPOSTERSLICKBALLS's posts

The parade celebration today was the biggest crowd ever cant argue with numbers

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The parade celebration today was the biggest crowd ever cant argue with numbers
    Posted by ICEMANTIZPOSTERSLICKBALLS[/QUOTE]

'04 Sox was bigger according to most reports.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : '04 Sox was bigger according to most reports.
    NAS, I think you're arguably the most knowledgeable poster on this board. But, I'm just curious, were you around during the '72 cup? And if so, does this one feel more special as a Bruins fan then '72?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : NAS, I think you're arguably the most knowledgeable poster on this board. But, I'm just curious, were you around during the '72 cup? And if so, does this one feel more special as a Bruins fan then '72?
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]

I was not.  I would guess the one in '70 felt better for B's fans, just as '04 felt better than '07 for Sox fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Hockey is the #1 sport in this town. I could care less what everyone else thinks. I could care less what the facts are. You all can make posts to the contrary and make this thread longer than the leafs record tracker, but no how, no way does anyone ever convince me otherwise.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Hockey is by far #1 in terms of sport played, or sport that puts guys to the elite levels.  How many NFLers or baseball players make it to the show from the Boston area?  Not many.  Elite hockey players come out of New England on a regular basis, just look at Olympic teams and NHL rosters over the past 30 years.

True, non pink hat fans, Bruins are #1.  NFL is just way too dominant of a league now, and any NFL city usually has that team as #1 in ratings etc, especially here with 3 titles last decade.  Sox are big, but I think people give that team, and sport too much credit for popularity around here.  Sox numbers have been dropping like a rock the past 3 years, even this season with a strong start, and baseball on the whole has been losing kids for years.  Hockey is growing at the fastest clip of any sport (albeit it, the sport probably with the furthest way to go of the big 4).

On a side note, WEEI can eat our hearts out, where's Glen Ordways mocking "Hockey Talkkkk" to Bruins fans.  They deserve the beating theyre taking!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]When the Celtics sucked, no one cared.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Even when the Celtics won all those championships in the 60's and 70's no one cared.  No one cared about the Celtics until Larry Bird arrived on the scene.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : Even when the Celtics won all those championships in the 60's and 70's no one cared.  No one cared about the Celtics until Larry Bird arrived on the scene.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

You are right about the Celtics.  I wasn't around during the Bill Russell era, but was told that their wasn't much interest in the Celtics despite their dominance in the sport. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangerous22. Show dangerous22's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : You may be right.  Although, I still Boston has a large following in hockey because of all the good teams in college.  Boston really doesn't have good college teams in Boston besides football and hockey.  Their college football teams aren't ranked among the top, but they are decent.  Northestern just had one of their players win the NBA championship.  That is only the 2nd time that someone from Northeastern won the championship.  Reggie Lewis is of course the best player from Northeastern to ever make it to the NBA.  Northeastern certainly isn't even close to the top level of college basketball teams. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]
    College hockey may be more popular than college hoops or football. But in general, Boston is a pro sports town. College hockey is usually the main sports story only for the Beanpot or when a local team ( usually BC or BU ) makes it to the Final 4.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : Do you remember the attendance from say, 1980-1992, maybe 1985 being an exception?
    Posted by LoveTheBruins[/QUOTE]

You understand that we're talking about today, and you're talking about 20-30 years ago, right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

IMO, The Sox are a part of life here, like death and taxes. B's have always been "my team" in 2nd. Pats 3rd and C's 4th for me. And I welcome all of the B's bandwagon jumpers. Hopefullly they'll stick around. Someone showed me a picture of the '72 B's Cup winner at some point in the last week and I named everyone in the photo without skipping a beat including Dan Canney, John Foristall, Tom Johnson and Milt Schmidt. If this current B's team has that type of impact on young B's fans of today it is a huge win for the B's and for the sport we all love in general.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Bob Ryan said it best on Sports Tonight with Felger...baseball and hockey are part of the DNA of the city. 
    Posted by bostonguy67[/QUOTE]

He is absolutely right.

And it's not a knock on the Celtics and Pats.

I find it strange when a sports fan from Massachusetts isn't a diehard in all four sports teams, but that's just me.

And my personal rankings has always been:

1. Red Sox/Bruins
    2. Celtics/Patriots

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]IMO, The Sox are a part of life here, like death and taxes. B's have always been "my team" in 2nd. Pats 3rd and C's 4th for me. And I welcome all of the B's bandwagon jumpers. Hopefullly they'll stick around. Someone showed me a picture of the '72 B's Cup winner at some point in the last week and I named everyone in the photo without skipping a beat including Dan Canney, John Foristall, Tom Johnson and Milt Schmidt. If this current B's team has that type of impact on young B's fans of today it is a huge win for the B's and for the sport we all love in general.
    Posted by SteveM[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. I saw the picture and just for kicks tried to ID all the players, including the trainers, GM and coach, and I surprised myself in ID'ing everyone. And I was just in the second grade when the '72 team won. But that's how much I followed those teams (Red Sox and Bruins) back then.

I've alway said that there was this underlying passion for the Bruins that was hidden out of frustration of the late '90s and early '00s just waiting to explode. I loved the celebration and this year's team was so much fun to root for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]NO. it's the # 2 sport. don't be fooled by the phony front running Patriot fans. soon as that team goes downhill so will the phonies.

Hey Jerry I was always a Pats fan even in the AFL. The Giants were my NFL team though. By 1970 with the merger it seemed you had to choose. I rooted for the Giants that first game when they played in 70 because the Giants needed it more. We moved to Philly in 71 so after a few years I gained the Eagles lost the Giants and became a bigger Pats fan then I was here. But generally you are right as far as supporting the teams through the good and bad. The Red Sox and Bruins seem to do that while the Celts and Pats are only popular when they are good. All time I would say 1 Red Sox 2 Bruins 3 Celtics 4. Pats.  Right now???? 1. Red Sox 2. Pats and Bruins 4. Celtics right behind. It's very close with the B's Celts and Pats. You could flip-flop those a few years ago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : Even when the Celtics won all those championships in the 60's and 70's no one cared.  No one cared about the Celtics until Larry Bird arrived on the scene.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

Actually the attendence improved greatly during the Cowens, Havlicek, Jo Jo era. They were popular in the 70's. We probaly know the reason because the stars were Cowens and Hondo and then Bird and McHale in the 80's but no need to get into that now. Put it his way, Don Nelson got more endorsements then Jo Jo White and Paul Silas? As did Rick Robey (lol) over Max. But that's in the past. Boston has changed and come a long way.

Sections
Shortcuts