Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?

Some interesting facts:

1.  This game had the highest national tv ratings of any stanley cup game since Boston played Philly in 1974.

2.  The ratings in Boston 64% of tv viewers were watching the game; was higher than any game in the Celtics last two NBA finals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?

NO. it's the # 2 sport. don't be fooled by the phony front running Patriot fans. soon as that team goes downhill so will the phonies.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport?:
    NO. it's the # 2 sport. don't be fooled by the phony front running Patriot fans. soon as that team goes downhill so will the phonies.
    Posted by jerrynewyork

I'm with Jerry on this one. I've been a Pats fan since I was a little kid (the first season I remember is 78) and I stuck with them through the terrible late 80s/early 90s. I remember being in college in Vermont and being the ONLY Pats fan around, while all my New England / Massachusetts-native friends rooted for the Bills, Giants, Steelers and Cowboys. 2001-02 rolls around and all of a sudden, everyone's a Pats fan....it's pretty da*ned annoying.

That's not to say the Bruins have always been a tough ticket and overflowing with support, but the Pats had zero bandwagon once upon a time, and I never saw that with the B's. If both teams were on the same level success-wise, even though the NFL is the sports behemoth in the USA, I think the Bruins would be just as if not more popular than the Pats are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Red Sox are the Red Sox. But hockey is a working man's sport and Boston's a working person's town. Now with the Cup, the Bruins are back in 2nd place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

the sox are no question one the patriots are second and id give the bruins third. even though the pats didnt have a lot of support until the mid 90's they have been sold out ever since and football in general wasnt as popular as it is now, but its arguably the most popular sport these days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

the sox are no question one the patriots are second and id give the bruins third. even though the pats didnt have a lot of support until the mid 90's they have been sold out ever since and football in general wasnt as popular as it is now, but its arguably the most popular sport these days.
    Posted by Soxpatsfan08

I watch all Boston sports and I personally like basketball the most.  Having said that, I would definitely say that the Bruins are at least the # 3 sport in Boston. They might even be ahead of the Patriots in fan loyalty.  Their are definitely more hockey fans in Boston than basketball fans. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : I'm with Jerry on this one. I've been a Pats fan since I was a little kid (the first season I remember is 78) and I stuck with them through the terrible late 80s/early 90s. I remember being in college in Vermont and being the ONLY Pats fan around, while all my New England / Massachusetts-native friends rooted for the Bills, Giants, Steelers and Cowboys. 2001-02 rolls around and all of a sudden, everyone's a Pats fan....it's pretty da*ned annoying. That's not to say the Bruins have always been a tough ticket and overflowing with support, but the Pats had zero bandwagon once upon a time, and I never saw that with the B's. If both teams were on the same level success-wise, even though the NFL is the sports behemoth in the USA, I think the Bruins would be just as if not more popular than the Pats are.
    Posted by Kennedy97

I remember those tough years ,being mad fun of in school for wearing pats hats and shirts. theysaid pats sucked and I kept next year is thier year.Now look at all these so called die hard who wouldnt watch the team back then .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hockey is the #1 sport in this town.
    I could care less what everyone else thinks.
    I could care less what the facts are.

You all can make posts to the contrary and make this thread longer than the leafs record tracker, but no how, no way does anyone ever convince me otherwise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Hockey is the #1 sport in this town. I could care less what everyone else thinks. I could care less what the facts are. You all can make posts to the contrary and make this thread longer than the leafs record tracker, but no how, no way does anyone ever convince me otherwise.
    Posted by BadHabitude

BadHab - I tend to agree with you.  When you look at simply pro sports and TV ratings, the Bruins would be #3.  However, when you look at HOCKEY in New England, I don't think that it is even close.  Bruins, BC, BU, Northeastern, UVM, Maine, UMASS, Merrimack, UNH, Harvard, Quinnipiac, Monarchs, P-Bruins, Sharks, Falcons, Whale, Prep School Powerhouses like Avon Old Farms, the list of hockey in New England goes on and on!  What other sport has the tradition that Hockey does around these parts.  The Answer is none!  With the B's winning the cup this year, it is only going to get bigger and better!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PianosAreFun. Show PianosAreFun's posts

I don't care if it's Boston's #7 sport.  It's my number 1.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

Hockey is #1 in my heart - Baseball 2nd - Football 3rd - Soccer, badminton, tennis
    dog sled racing then basketball - unless there is varisty bowling team somewhere then that would be ahead of basket ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

Bob Ryan said it best on Sports Tonight with Felger...baseball and hockey are part of the DNA of the city. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

The NFL is the #1 sport in the US and the Patriots are one of the preeminent teams in the league.  The Pats and Sox still duke it out for #1 on the airwaves.

But the Red Sox and Bruins are part of the fabric of the city.  The Pats aren't.   Even with all the championships the Celtics have they aren't part of the "fabric". 

Hockey is important to this region.  Not just the Bruins.  Look at all the Div 1 college hockey programs and AHL teams within 100 miles of Boston.....there are a ton!  Youth hockey has always been popular here.  The Massachusetts Super 8 Tournament is possibly the greatest high school state championship hockey tournament in the United States outside Minnesota.

I remember countless street and pond hockey games growing up in the late 80's.  We were Bouque, Neely, Moog, etc.  Well, driving over to a friends' house for Game 7 vs Tampa, I saw a bunch of kids playing street hockey.  And there were the Chara, Thomas, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton,etc. shirts.  It brought a smile to my face.  It's nice to know that these young kids have great players and role models to look up to....and are just as worthy as those that I looked up to as a kid. 

Thank you again to the 2010/2011 Boston Bruins.  2011 Stanley Cup Champions!!!!!  See you all at the parade tomorrow!!!!!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Hockey has always been #1 for me even when team was down and out. That is why it feels so good now that they got what they/we deserved. I kept thinking that I would die with all Boston Teams winning, except the one that I wanted. I truly cant watch hoop, baseball in spots, pats every week and dont miss a period of any Bs pre season, regular season and so on.  In my House Bs have been and always will be #1.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The Sox will always be #1.

Pats, for now, are #2. It'll be interesting to see the Post-Brady era, and sooner-than-people-want-to-think-about post Belichick era (he turns 60 next April!). Then we'll see where the Pats really are.

The Bs are back, and the NHL in general, to me, is on an upswing. The Bruins fans wer ein about a fifteen year hibernation, but have been awoken, and won't be going away any time soon. This has ALWAYS been a huge hockey town. Only because of mismanagement of the team, cheapness, and a lockout did fans stop paying such close attention...the Bs, nor the sport deserved the fandom Boston holds, and I say good for the fans for not supporting an unworth product both locally and nationally. Now that Jacobs is doing things better, the league, in general is better, and most of all, the Bs have an exciting team...it's going to be a charge to the top. I wouldn't be surprised if, within 5 years it's:

Red Sox/Bruins
    Patriots

Celtics.

Basketball, no wait. Let me rephrase already; the NBA is a joke, basketball is a great sport, but that league has ruined a good thing. The athletes that play that game are mostly unlikeable, even the Cs stars (except Allen...I like Allen).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Basketball, no wait. Let me rephrase already; the NBA is a joke, basketball is a great sport, but that league has ruined a good thing. The athletes that play that game are mostly unlikeable, even the Cs stars (except Allen...I like Allen).
    Posted by ma6dragon9

Agreed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Everyone (almost) loves the Sox and Pats.  More people like the Bruins now, but hockey is a very, very distant tied for third with hoops, if not still fourth.

Everyone (almost) watches every Pats game and talks about most Sox games.

Lots of people watched the second half of the second round of the Bruins playoffs.

Let's be honest.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsmania. Show Bruinsmania's posts

Agree

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Red Sox are the Red Sox. But hockey is a working man's sport and Boston's a working person's town. Now with the Cup, the Bruins are back in 2nd place.
    Posted by red75

100% incorrect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? : 100% incorrect.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

you are 1000% wrong. Patriots fans for the most part are front runners. 

Hockey and B's are #2

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Is Hockey Boston's #3 Sport? :  you are 1000% wrong. Patriots fans for the most part are front runners.  Hockey and B's are #2
    Posted by jerrynewyork

The Patriots have sold out every home game since 1993.  That's sort of a long time. 

Tell me, jerryNEWYORK, do you spend a lot of time talking with all of your friends, family, co-workers and random people you know in New England?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

i have been coming up to Boston for Bruins and red sox games since 1983.
     and up until the Pats became a powerhouse , i rarely if ever noticed people wearing Pat paraphernalia. not sure if that's a great indicator but something tells me i'm right. of course football has obviously become more popular than it was in say the 1980's

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangerous22. Show dangerous22's posts

Everyone (almost) loves the Sox and Pats.  More people like the Bruins now, but hockey is a very, very distant tied for third with hoops, if not still fourth. Everyone (almost) watches every Pats game and talks about most Sox games. Lots of people watched the second half of the second round of the Bruins playoffs. Let's be honest.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agreed. Yes the Bruins had higher ratings than the Celtics in the finals. But the Celtics had higher regular season ratings. I think the Bruins and Celtics are about the same in terms of popularity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

i have been coming up to Boston for Bruins and red sox games since 1983.  and up until the Pats became a powerhouse , i rarely if ever noticed people wearing Pat paraphernalia. not sure if that's a great indicator but something tells me i'm right. of course football has obviously become more popular than it was in say the 1980's
    Posted by jerrynewyork

You are insane.  The Pats are EVERYWHERE, and Pats gear is everywhere.  If you want, I'll let you retract the statement because it was clearly made with your heart and not with your mind.  I'll hold off on warming up the coals to drag you across for now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Relatively speaking, it's easy to be a Pats fan. The time investment is minimal - one game a week for 16 weeks, then a few weeks of playoffs. 

The emotional investment is minimal - watch the game, analyze it on Monday morning, then forget about it for the rest of the week.

Hockey is much more of a personal investment - nine grueling months of highs and lows requires much more of an investment from an emotional and time perspective.  It's either in your blood, or it isn't.

Sections
Shortcuts