Is hockey too fast?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Is hockey too fast?

On my way to work and listening to my sports radio show. An interesting topic came up are players injuries increase because of the speed of hockey. For example if a forward is going top speed and the d man cannot slow him with a body screen or slight interference then the forward levels a d man with full impact along the boards.

I personally will like to see the instigator penalty be omitted and automatic icing be implied. I brought this topic up before what do you fellow Bruiners think.Sealed

My question is for one of you computer stats geek can find out has hockey injuries increase since the new rule commence no interference,clutching grabbing etc.Undecided

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnsWake. Show FinnsWake's posts

Re: Is hockey too fast?

66% of players polled said they don't want the IR revoked

I agree on the icing call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Does anyone have the rule itself and can you post it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Is hockey too fast?:
    On my way to work and listening to my sports radio show. An interesting topic came up are players injuries increase because of the speed of hockey. For example if a forward is going top speed and the d man cannot slow him with a body screen or slight interference then the forward levels a d man with full impact along the boards. I personally will like to see the instigator penalty be omitted and automatic icing be implied. I brought this topic up before what do you fellow Bruiners think. My question is for one of you computer stats geek can find out has hockey injuries increase since the new rule commence no interference,clutching grabbing etc.
    Posted by boborielly224

While I am too lazy to dredge out specifics I suspect that you are right that the increased speed of the game, coupled by a crackdown on interference, has contributed to an increase in injuries.

What should further be added is the revolution in equipment in use by players as well. When a 6 foot 4, 230 pound man runs into another player on an ice surface with football pads on we must expect injuries to occur....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

I don't think its the speed alone, I think the increase of injuries -focus on concussions- is a result of a couple of factors. Players are apparently larger and stronger each year, as a result, when they collide their bodies are absorbing more punishment and the one area of the body that you can not condition to absorb more punishment is the brain. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

How much can be attributed to the new equipment? Boxing gloves were introduced to allow fighters to hit each other harder without busting their hands. Armor must be a factor too, surely. Players can hit harder and if they connect with vullnerable parts like the head its going to be a sore one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

One thing that is not being talked about is how much faster the game became with the removal of the two line pass.  I can understand the reluctance to talk about it, because it made the game much better to watch.  Be that as it may, it has led to faster rushes up the ice and higher speed collisions.

I am in favor of the removal of hard elbow and shoulder pads long before the re-introduction of the two line pass rule.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

The pad issue is the main culprit in most injuries IMO. I also believe helmets should be looked at. The helmets worn are a joke as compared to bike helmets and such. If players did not have hard padding they would be more careful themselves before running into opponents.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I would first try soft shoulder/elbow pads and no touch icing. If that doesnt work allow for more interference and clutch&grab.

Do you want a league with no stars left in? Or a league where the stars are getting held up and forced to work harder.

Wayne managed to score with those rules, why cant Crosby/Ovi?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

I would not encourgage the league to allow more interference or clutching/grabbing. If you recall, just a few seasons back- hey day of the NJ Devils, many fans, myself included, complained about the stars of the game being slowed down because of all the clutch/grab et.al. The main issue that must be addressed is the hits to the head, too many playes, are missing time and having their careers threatend by concussions. Improved helmets can only do so much. Step #1,in my opinion, fire Colin Campbell - his inaction, last year with the Matt Cooke hit on Marc Savard alone was inexcuseable. Also, his innapporpriate comments about Savard made prior, in emails, to the Cooke hit should have resulted in his dismissal. Now, Cooke continues with his seemingly endless cheap shots, results in another player out for a significant time and Campbell, suspends Cooke for four games. What a terrible joke?

Sections
Shortcuts