Is it impossible?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Is it impossible?

....that the Bruins are susceptible to human nature, and knowing they're going to be in the playoffs, they really don't care about each game until the playoffs start? Last year they didn't really get hot until they fell out of the playoffs (after Savard's injury). The Flyers went through the same thing -- maddening inconsistency -- yet they seem fine. Also, pretty sure it looked like Pittsburgh was going to miss the playoffs a couple of years agobefore they fell out of playoff positioning, turned it on, and never looked back on their way to the Cup.

Not saying it's good that the team isn't motivated before April, but where's the incentive to compete if all we care about (as crazed, knowledgeable, hockey fans) is post-season success?

Also, how are San Jose, Washington, Chicago, and LA (all cup contenders) doing as of right now? (Hint: they all have lower winning percentages than Boston)

90% of this board is made up of reactionary fools whose opinions shift from game to game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Re: Is it impossible?

Yeah they get motivated in May...just don't geve them a 3-0 lead. Get real. Its a mediocre team with a mediocre coach. They need to replace both..........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

The incentive to be motivated before the post-season is to make sure you are in the postseason.  The Bruins started the season 7-2-0.  Since Nov. 5, they are 10-9-4, which is not what I would expect from a team that is getting AMAZING goaltending from TT and added Savard back the lineup.

I don't know about you dc-bruins-fan, but as a crazed knowledgeable hockey fan, I care about seeing a team that wants to win every game... not just in the postseason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Is it impossible?:
    [QUOTE]The incentive to be motivated before the post-season is to make sure you are in the postseason.  The Bruins started the season 7-2-0.  Since Nov. 5, they are 10-9-4, which is not what I would expect from a team that is getting AMAZING goaltending from TT and added Savard back the lineup. I don't know about you dc-bruins-fan, but as a crazed knowledgeable hockey fan, I care about seeing a team that wants to win every game... not just in the postseason.
    Posted by BruinsGM24[/QUOTE]

I guess we disagree, which is fair. I'd be happy with a season that Philly (finals) had last year or Pittsburgh (Champs) had the year before even with the monumnetal struggles they had.

The interesting argument is that both teams made a coaching change and then achieved what they did. That's an interesting debate. To me, though, there's no debate: I don't want Boston to be Washington or San Jose.

Playoffs are all that matters and we'll be there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it impossible? : I guess we disagree, which is fair. I'd be happy with a season that Philly (finals) had last year or Pittsburgh (Champs) had the year before even with the monumnetal struggles they had. The interesting argument is that both teams made a coaching change and then achieved what they did. That's an interesting debate. To me, though, there's no debate: I don't want Boston to be Washington or San Jose. Playoffs are all that matters and we'll be there.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]
    Well said DC.A good run in the playoffs and I won't remember the regular season.Nobody cares how you fare in the regular season.It's all about what happens after.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's true, but recently the Bruins haven't even looked like a playoff team, and that's the reason for concern.  Some teams can get away with less than 100% effort.  But I think that Julien's system is so reliant on forechecking and hussle, that they really look awful when they don't have jump and they don't hit.

I think they'll make the playoffs and be okay too.  But I am frustrated that the old motto of being "tough to play against" has become such a joke.  I think they have crossed the line from inconsistent to something worse recently.  Something that has been ugly to watch and is easy to play against.  I think that is the cause for the negative reaction.  We are seeing the same type of play that caused collapses in the playoffs the past two years.  They need to make some adjustments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

I can see a team taking the odd night off through a long season especially when your already sitting in the top 8, and i think that's okay. I do not understand this team not getting up against Montreal in a game for first place. they floated all night against a Ducks team they should've easily handled which again would've put them in first place. It's extremely agrivating for me. more and more people are picking up on the fact that this team plays with almost no heart ( except #17) and i am extremely interested in thursdays game, it will tell me if they are capable of shifting gears when the chips are down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Is it impossible?:
    [QUOTE]....that the Bruins are susceptible to human nature, and knowing they're going to be in the playoffs, they really don't care about each game until the playoffs start? Last year they didn't really get hot until they fell out of the playoffs (after Savard's injury). The Flyers went through the same thing -- maddening inconsistency -- yet they seem fine. Also, pretty sure it looked like Pittsburgh was going to miss the playoffs a couple of years agobefore they fell out of playoff positioning, turned it on, and never looked back on their way to the Cup. Not saying it's good that the team isn't motivated before April, but where's the incentive to compete if all we care about (as crazed, knowledgeable, hockey fans) is post-season success? Also, how are San Jose, Washington, Chicago, and LA (all cup contenders) doing as of right now? (Hint: they all have lower winning percentages than Boston) 90% of this board is made up of reactionary fools whose opinions shift from game to game.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

They are hockey players.  The are born with the desire to compete and the passion to play.  That's how hockey players are.  From the pros to the just-learned-yesterdays, it's how, well, we are.

I've seen fights in pick up games in men's leagues.  Heck, I've seen a fight or two in driveway street hockey.  I've personally gotten a few dings laying down to block shots in darn pond hockey.  Why would I ever lay down to block a shot in pond hockey?  Because if I don't, it might go in and we might lose.

It's hockey, man.  These guys just don't remember why they're there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

Ducks were totally beatable...this game was a farce and the fans werent fooled at all. shame on any fan who can defend that game for the Bruins. i lost money on that one for sure...Hiller vs Thomas...not even close. true Bruins cant win em all, but the Ducks were the hungrier team and being on the road near the holiday season is where I would want my team to be playing. more focus.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

i dont expect them to win every game,, i dont even really want a presidents trophy type season if they are gonna be half broke for the playoffs,

i do expect them to play 3 periods of hockey win or lose, why is it they only seem to play well when they get an early lead?
    or why do they sometimes wait until they are down 3 goals to start skating?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JezzaNuts. Show JezzaNuts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it impossible? : Well said DC.A good run in the playoffs and I won't remember the regular season.Nobody cares how you fare in the regular season.It's all about what happens after.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Only problem is when you pay a ton of money to go to game, get some dogs and bunch of beer you want to watch the B's win, not know they will start playing in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it impossible? : Only problem is when you pay a ton of money to go to game, get some dogs and bunch of beer you want to watch the B's win, not know they will start playing in the playoffs.
    Posted by JezzaNuts[/QUOTE]

This is a good point.

Also, Fletch, couldn't agree more with the "being tough to play against" motto is basically a catch phrase now (for every NHL team, though some are actually tough).

Sections
Shortcuts