Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade?

If there was ever one Bruin who could justify asking for a trade it is Tuukka Rask. Now I realize how good Thomas was last season and he has been solid up until this point this season so this is not about Rask vs Thomas.

But simply looking at it from Rasks' perspective it appears Julien will continue to give the majority of starts to Thomas and continue to use Rask sparingly. Whether you agree with that or not it certainly appears to be the case.

If I am Rask I have to start looking at what is best for my career going forward. He signed a cap friendly deal in the early part of the 2009 season. He ended up playing outstanding that season when Thomas struggled & carried the team to the playoffs while having superb numbers. He also played very well in the playoffs until injuries caught up with the team in the Flyer series. But all in all a great season from a 22 yr old who appeared at that point to have a bright future.

Then after he struggled along with the rest of the team in the first game of last season Thomas took over and had a magical season and understanably Rask played 2nd fiddle.

Now this season,Rask is in the final year of his cap friendly deal & it appears Julien will continue to give Rask minimal starts. Rask was outstanding in the first game he played & did not get rewarded with the next start. I understand JUlien's decision,even if I disagree with it, because Thomas has been so good.

However, it appears no matter how well Rask plays he is destined for backup minutes under CJ & when he struggles (Carolina game) he don't play for a couple of weeks.

So from Rask point of view I am asking myself the following questions:

1)How will playing so little effect his development at such an important part of his career?

2) After signing a 3 yr team friendly contract how is getting so little playing time going to effect his next contract? The more he plays the better opportunity he has to get a significant raise at the end of the season.

3) With the organizations commitment to Tim Thomas will he ever get his shot & what benefit is there to him if that shot doesn't come for the next couple of years?

4) Has this organization been fair to him over the last few seasons when they had such a short leash on him?

My opinion is the Bruins should at least expedite the transition period and give Rask some more playing time. Thomas also deserves playing time but is getting a little long in the tooth. Even it out a little more and allow Rask to get in more of a groove.

It is also in the Bs best interest to see what they have in Rask. The more he plays gives them a better opportunity to judge his talent & see if he can be the future guy. It throws Rask a bone and makes it seem they have a bit more confidence in him then it appears. It also gives an aging Tim Thomas more rest which would make him fresher down the road.

At this point it is extremely difficult to get a proper assessment on what Rask can be when he plays so little. How can he be at his best when he is unable to get in any type of groove and plays so sporadically.

The class that Rask has showed through the last couple of years reflects very well on him. The fact that,at least publically, he hasn't asked out given all the circumstances certainly shows his patience & team player mentality.

But at some point he has to do what is best for his career & if the team continues to stick with Thomas longterm they should give Rask an opportunity somewhere else so he can have the opportunity to play and develop & make as much money as he can.

I understand how good Thomas has played but the team has got to be fair and honest to Rask. If he doesn't get the opportunity with Boston then they should give him the opportunity somewhere else & try and get something in return to strenghten other areas of the club.

I don't want Rask traded but I think it is unfair to him to continue this strictly backup role they have him in. The kid has no room for error even though he has not been given an opportunity to get in a groove since 2009. And we all know the groove he got in that season. The kid has paid his dues.

It even appears that the GM is a little surprised at the goalie use to this point & may have hoped for more of a split looking to the future but apparently CJ sees it differently.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/10/26/chiarelli_showing_patience_with_bruins/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade?

In Response to Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade?:
    If there was ever one Bruin who could justify asking for a trade it is Tuukka Rask. Now I realize how good Thomas was last season and he has been solid up until this point this season so this is not about Rask vs Thomas. But simply looking at it from Rasks' perspective it appears Julien will continue to give the majority of starts to Thomas and continue to use Rask sparingly. Whether you agree with that or not it certainly appears to be the case. If I am Rask I have to start looking at what is best for my career going forward. He signed a cap friendly deal in the early part of the 2009 season. He ended up playing outstanding that season when Thomas struggled & carried the team to the playoffs while having superb numbers. He also played very well in the playoffs until injuries caught up with the team in the Flyer series. But all in all a great season from a 22 yr old who appeared at that point to have a bright future. Then after he struggled along with the rest of the team in the first game of last season Thomas took over and had a magical season and understanably Rask played 2nd fiddle. Now this season,Rask is in the final year of his cap friendly deal & it appears Julien will continue to give Rask minimal starts. Rask was outstanding in the first game he played & did not get rewarded with the next start. I understand JUlien's decision,even if I disagree with it, because Thomas has been so good. However, it appears no matter how well Rask plays he is destined for backup minutes under CJ & when he struggles (Carolina game) he don't play for a couple of weeks. So from Rask point of view I am asking myself the following questions: 1)How will playing so little effect his development at such an important part of his career? 2) After signing a 3 yr team friendly contract how is getting so little playing time going to effect his next contract? The more he plays the better opportunity he has to get a significant raise at the end of the season. 3) With the organizations commitment to Tim Thomas will he ever get his shot & what benefit is there to him if that shot doesn't come for the next couple of years? 4) Has this organization been fair to him over the last few seasons when they had such a short leash on him? My opinion is the Bruins should at least expedite the transition period and give Rask some more playing time. Thomas also deserves playing time but is getting a little long in the tooth. Even it out a little more and allow Rask to get in more of a groove. It is also in the Bs best interest to see what they have in Rask. The more he plays gives them a better opportunity to judge his talent & see if he can be the future guy. It throws Rask a bone and makes it seem they have a bit more confidence in him then it appears. It also gives an aging Tim Thomas more rest which would make him fresher down the road. At this point it is extremely difficult to get a proper assessment on what Rask can be when he plays so little. How can he be at his best when he is unable to get in any type of groove and plays so sporadically. The class that Rask has showed through the last couple of years reflects very well on him. The fact that,at least publically, he hasn't asked out given all the circumstances certainly shows his patience & team player mentality. But at some point he has to do what is best for his career & if the team continues to stick with Thomas longterm they should give Rask an opportunity somewhere else so he can have the opportunity to play and develop & make as much money as he can. I understand how good Thomas has played but the team has got to be fair and honest to Rask. If he doesn't get the opportunity with Boston then they should give him the opportunity somewhere else & try and get something in return to strenghten other areas of the club. I don't want Rask traded but I think it is unfair to him to continue this strictly backup role they have him in. The kid has no room for error even though he has not been given an opportunity to get in a groove since 2009. And we all know the groove he got in that season. The kid has paid his dues. It even appears that the GM is a little surprised at the goalie use to this point & may have hoped for more of a split looking to the future but apparently CJ sees it differently.   http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/10/26/chiarelli_showing_patience_with_bruins/
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Rask has to play the cards he is dealt.He was great in his first start .He will get enough playing time to prove he is a good goalie.Thomas is still the no.1 .I am not sure if I agree when you suggest TT should get less playing time because he is getting long in the tooth . When he starts to struggle then you play Rask more.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade?:
    In Response to Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade? : Rask has to play the cards he is dealt.He was great in his first start .He will get enough playing time to prove he is a good goalie.Thomas is still the no.1 .I am not sure if I agree when you suggest TT should get less playing time because he is getting long in the tooth . When he starts to struggle then you play Rask more.
    Posted by DallasSmith

Ok you feel they should continue to play Thomas more. Thats understandable if that is what the organization wants. Thomas was sensational last season & has been solid so far this year.

My premise is that Rask has paid his dues and has shown enough to get an opportunity somewhere else. If he is not going to get that chance here do you not feel it maybe time to give him an opportunity elsewhere rather then stagnate his career as a backup?

I feel Rask deserves a lot of credit for playing this out for the past couple of years without making it an issue. If this backup role continues I would not blame him to ask for a trade. In fact I will be more surprised if he doesn';t. He is 24 & he has his career & development to worry about.

I want him to stay for selfish reasons because I think he is a good goalie with the potential to be great. I just want him to get an opportunity somewhere because I feel he deserves it & has been extremely patient.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogmonsta. Show dogmonsta's posts

Like I said yesterday Krecji/Rask for Parise/Zajac. David is a restricted FA after this year. He wont get matched with Seguin coming in. You get an elite winger and a good 3rd line winger to go with Bergie. Devils get someone to take over for Broduer and a first line center to go with Kovalchuck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Rask will be #1 by the end of the season.  Bet on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Like I said yesterday Krecji/Rask for Parise/Zajac. David is a restricted FA after this year. He wont get matched with Seguin coming in. You get an elite winger and a good 3rd line winger to go with Bergie. Devils get someone to take over for Broduer and a first line center to go with Kovalchuck.
    Posted by dogmonsta

No interest in trading Krejci. He has already showed he comes up big in bigger games. He will also make less then Parise going forward I would think. Parise is a great player but you have to take salary into account.

As for Rask. I would prefer to keep him but would look at guys like Adam Larrson out of Jersey. Or maybe look to Edmonton for Pajarvi. More young depth on the blueline or more depth on the wings. Chris Stewart out of Colorado before he got traded to St.Louis would of been another intriguing guy. Colorado ended up getting Varlamov but before that happened there could have been a match there.

No interest im moving Krejci though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Posted by BorisTheGorilla

I would not bet against that but in the event that doesn`t happen he deserves a shot somewhere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Posted by BorisTheGorilla

I hope he is a # 1 somewhere. I just feel for the kid watching him over there game after game supporting his teamates when he would be getting such a better opportunity elsewhere.

The time has come where he deserves a chance. He has been a good soldier but deserves more playing time.

I just hope playing so little through such important seasons in his development doesn't prevent him from becoming who he has the potential to be. So much talent that seems to be stagnated at this specific time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I have no doubt that CJ and PC are smart guys.  They understand that TT has all the hardware, but they also understand TR's situation, and TT's age.  I would think that, after TT's amazing playoff run, that they would clearly see the benefit to a fresh TT in April.  To that end, I would guess that they would be looking to give TR more games.

But, on the other hand, I believe they also see a somewhat sluggish start, and perhaps want to keep TT in so that the team can play their way back into true fighting form (so to speak);  then hopefully when mid-November comes, and the team is steaming along on an "8 wins out of 12 games" sort of run, then they can ease back on TT's starts, and get TR's minutes up.

The question is (and because TR has been a 'good trooper' and hasn't gone public, it's still a question) does TR accept this role on the team, and is 'on side', or is he quietly fuming about his lack of starts?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

There is one team that would probably trade for a goalie (by the way NJD have Hedberg) and it is NYI ...I would try to offer Rask for Micahel Grabner ...and call Kudhobin from Providence as back up goalie ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

There is one team that would probably trade for a goalie (by the way NJD have Hedberg) and it is NYI ...I would try to offer Rask for Micahel Grabner ...and call Kudhobin from Providence as back up goalie ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Ya Stanley just what the NYI are looking for, a fourth goalie on their roster . They're already carrying three, Nabakov, Montoya and Dipietro.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He's welcome to ask.

PC's welcome to remind him he's the heir apparent.  His time will come.  If that's not good enough, he can wait for a crazy RFA offer like the ones goalies have been getting every year lately like the huge deal Vokoun signed and the crazy money for the Stanley Cup Winning Niemi.

If that prospect depresses him, he could also let himself get fat.  Which means he'll cover even more net when Thomas does retire.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

There is one team that would probably trade for a goalie (by the way NJD have Hedberg) and it is NYI ...I would try to offer Rask for Micahel Grabner ...and call Kudhobin from Providence as back up goalie ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

100% wrong. If there is one team that needs a good young goalie it is the Devils. Hedberg is a career 30 plus back up and there is no heir appearent to brodeur. Perfect spot for Rask.

If there is one team that does not need another goalie it is the NY Islanders. They have Montoya and Nabokov, who they will likely deal at the deadline. They have Poulin who they are high on and obviously Dipietro, who, I know is never there. No way they break up there core of young players unless it's for a young d-man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

He's welcome to ask. PC's welcome to remind him he's the heir apparent.  His time will come.  If that's not good enough, he can wait for a crazy RFA offer like the ones goalies have been getting every year lately like the huge deal Vokoun signed and the crazy money for the Stanley Cup Winning Niemi. If that prospect depresses him, he could also let himself get fat.  Which means he'll cover even more net when Thomas does retire.
    Posted by Bookboy007

If TT has proven anything to Rask it's that a goalie's prime years typically start later than other players. To think that Rask is tired of biding his time is pure conjecture. I'm sure he knows most goalies his age are still in the minors and that, among his peers, he's in an enviable situation. The OP needs to ask himself if he'd like to see Rask end up like Steve Mason who, despite having a tonne of talent, was handed the reigns too early in Columbus and has sufferred mightily since.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I mentioned Rask might ask for a trade during the summer and I got hammered. While I don't think he has asked for a trade yet, it's hard to blame him if he does. I know he is next in line to be the number 1 but how long will he wait in that line? Getting spot starts doesnt do anything for him. No better fit for him than the Devils, though If I were the Lightning, I would take a look here. Roloson has gotten off to a bad start, and bad starts at the age of 41, could mean more than that. That is a good team that could be going to the playoffs with Mathieu Garon as it's goaltender. Not sure thats the best choice. Bruins have cap room, need some punch and a Rask-Malone swap would look real good IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Here's what CJ has to say regarding the "controversy".......

“All I know is we have a plan to use Tuukka more this year. So that’s certainly not a judgment that has to be made after a month of the season,” said the coach. “At the end of the year, let’s look at how many games Tuukka will have played and then figure out whether we followed our plan or not. But right now, when you’ve got three or four days off, I don’t think a guy that led us to the Stanley Cup [Thomas] is really tired. … As you look at the schedule in the second half, we talked about it becoming heavier, this is where Tuukka’s really going to have to step up and help us out. But he’s still going to see some game time, but I don’t think I would judge how we said we’d use him or whatever with a month into the season with this kind of schedule.”

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade? : No interest in trading Krejci.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Going by your theory, maybe DK will ask for a trade because he's unhappy with his role with the team. He could obviously get more ice-time on many other teams so it's just a matter of isn't it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

These are gimmies  :
    Rask knows he's going to get playing time. Simple math. His age vs TT's.
    Rask is being paid well for a back up. When he takes over the net, he'll get his just compensation for playing that position, or he will leave.
    Rask likes it in Boston. That's a factor that has to be considered as well.
    Personally, I doubt very much you will see Rask ask for a trade because he's not getting his reps in net.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

These are gimmies  : Rask knows he's going to get playing time. Simple math. His age vs TT's. Rask is being paid well for a back up. When he takes over the net, he'll get his just compensation for playing that position, or he will leave. Rask likes it in Boston. That's a factor that has to be considered as well. Personally, I doubt very much you will see Rask ask for a trade because he's not getting his reps in net.
    Posted by Stuke50

I agree Stuke. Rask is still only 24 with a long career ahead still. I also don't remember TT missing a start due to injury/illness last year. What are the chances of that happenning 2 years in a row? Lastly, shouldn't all of us take the progress of Bergeron, DK, Marchand, Seguin, Lucic, et al to mean the Bruins organization knows a little something about developing young players?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade? : I hope he is a # 1 somewhere. I just feel for the kid watching him over there game after game supporting his teamates when he would be getting such a better opportunity elsewhere. The time has come where he deserves a chance. He has been a good soldier but deserves more playing time.   I just hope playing so little through such important seasons in his development doesn't prevent him from becoming who he has the potential to be. So much talent that seems to be stagnated at this specific time.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Perhaps if Rask was playing on a different team I might agree that he ''deserves'' more playing time but on this team ,how can you say that when he is playing behind TT.Rask didn't have a particularly good year last year .Rask should follow TT's example from last year.No one could have predicted what TT was going to do but he was ready mentally when he got his chance in game 2 of the regular season.Rask has to play well when he gets his chance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade? : If TT has proven anything to Rask it's that a goalie's prime years typically start later than other players. To think that Rask is tired of biding his time is pure conjecture. I'm sure he knows most goalies his age are still in the minors and that, among his peers, he's in an enviable situation. The OP needs to ask himself if he'd like to see Rask end up like Steve Mason who, despite having a tonne of talent, was handed the reigns too early in Columbus and has sufferred mightily since.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Or perhaps the poster I am quoting needs to ask himself if he'd like to see Rask end up like Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy, Marc Andre Fleury or Carey Price who, all had a tonne of talent, and were all handed the reigns  early and after struggling at times have all found a way to become top flight NHL goalies & in Roy & Brodeur's case HOF goalies.

You see two can play that game. You don't just get to mention the ones who flamed out just because it suits your arguement.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade? : Going by your theory, maybe DK will ask for a trade because he's unhappy with his role with the team. He could obviously get more ice-time on many other teams so it's just a matter of isn't it?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Ridiculous point considering one is a fwd and the other is a goalie. You can't play 2 goalies. The fact I had to explain that to you is even more ridiculous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rask is smart I think he is well spoken for a brutal language for him to learn so he is no dummy. He has to be in the mind that if goes to a team lets up allot of shots he won't cash in because his GAA will go up. So I'm under the inclination Tuukka doesn't call his agent, taking under consideration he is also not in a current organization going through transition.

Chiarelli still has RFA rights for the next contract and I'm not convinced GMs from other teams are inclined to throw a heavy offer sheet at Tuukka because he hasn't proven he can start the bulk of a season, evidence is Rask got tired at the end of the Philly series.

I say Tuukka stays content for now however when Thomas's extension is at hand PC will have his hands full. Not to low ball Thomas and/or give Rask too much cheddah then you might have a pissed off goalie or two if both feel slighted.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is it only a matter of time before Tuukka asks for a trade? : Or perhaps the poster I am quoting needs to ask himself if he'd like to see Rask end up like Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy, Marc Andre Fleury or Carey Price who, all had a tonne of talent, and were all handed the reigns  early and after struggling at times have all found a way to become top flight NHL goalies & in Roy & Brodeur's case HOF goalies. You see two can play that game. You don't just get to mention the ones who flamed out just because it suits your arguement.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

I'm not even saying Mason has flamed out. I'm saying that there's no rush in regards to Rask. I personally don't remember the early struggles of Roy and Brodeur that you speak of and I was also unaware that a contrary opinion equates to some kind of game.Answer me this question then. Which of these guys you've mentioned came and took a job from a Vezina winner?

Sections
Shortcuts