Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

When things seem complex make it simple.  When things are simple make it complex.  

Thanks Red, hockey is better in the north.  

I find it odd that the NHL expanded southward to gain the American dollar.  Yet now has to retrack and defy that logic in the current CBA negotiations.  It would rather telling if in the next five years many of those teams in the south were allowed to move northward.  Now that would give greater clarity on why the owners are so steadfast in maintaining costs.  Ah the chase for the Canadian dollar just may be the next $$$ door!  

BTW stevegm, fluctuating between the two sides in the CBA negotiations is the best way to gain information and clarity.  I am leaning more towards the players recently but I still maintain the owners are at risk with the economic conditions in the USA.  

********************************   previous quotes:

Red, the lockout will hurt some teams but I doubt Winnipeg will be one of them. Their fan base interest is exceptional. It's the teams that have to work to get the fans out to the game that will be set back. Teams in the U.S. south for example.

Have you checked the attendance figure averages from the "south" recently?

I have, and they are not good.

Dallas,Carolina,Florida and Tampa Bay are in the  bottom 10 as far as attendance goes for last season.

The last year of the Thrashers they  were 3rd worst in the NHL. I'm not even counting Pheonix wich doesnt deserve an NHL team, because like the rest of them, not enough people care about hockey for a franchise to thrive.

Now you tell me which one of these teams is better off where they are rather than say anywhere in Canada.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2012

You didn't do enough homework grasshopper.

Geez... it pisses me off when people want to argue, but are too lazy to even attempt to back up their position and fail to consider what's been said to this point.

1. I NEVER spouted anything about Canada

"teams that have to work to get the fans out to the game"

Geez Part 2............It pisses me off when people don't read properly. Total attendance figures were never mentioned once. Forget the homework, just read the damn post. Having natural fan interset in the game is one thing ( as northern teams have ) . Having to promote the game to get fans to come see games is another (as teams from the south have done through the years).  

There are more options for the people from the south ( then the north ) to spend their money in the winter because of the difference in weather .

Comprehend grasshopper ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/NHL-denies-Jacobs-reprimanded-Jets-rep-over-lockout-criticism-181266241.html

Chipman issued the following statement Wednesday night:

" I was disappointed to learn today of a report which claimed an exchange took place between an Alternate Governor of the Winnipeg Jets and Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins at a recent NHL Board of Governors meeting. I was present throughout all BOG proceedings and can categorically state that no such exchange between Mr. Jacobs and either one of our Alternate Governors - Patrick Phillips or Kevin Cheveldayoff - ever took place. Any suggestion otherwise is completely false. "

"Haggerty told the Free Press Wednesday he stands by his reporting"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

Dallas,Carolina,Florida and Tampa Bay are in the  bottom 10 as far as attendance goes for last season.

The last year of the Thrashers they  were 3rd worst in the NHL. I'm not even counting Pheonix wich doesnt deserve an NHL team, because like the rest of them, not enough people care about hockey for a franchise to thrive.

Now you tell me which one of these teams is better off where they are rather than say anywhere in Canada.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Geez Part 2............It pisses me off when people don't read properly. Total attendance figures were never mentioned once. Forget the homework, just read the damn post. Having natural fan interset in the game is one thing ( as northern teams have ) . Having to promote the game to get fans to come see games is another (as teams from the south have done through the years).  

There are more options for the people from the south ( then the north ) to spend their money in the winter because of the difference in weather .

Comprehend grasshopper ?

I just "read the damn post" again.  Maybe you should too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Some of you guys don't seem to understand the purpose of the teams in the south.  It's not always about how many tickets they can sell.  Having a presence in the area is very important.  They didn't need Atlanta with Tampa, Nashville and Florida in the south east. 

Why do you think Phoenix has a team?  It certainly isn't because the attendance is overwhelming or that they "deserve" one.  It's because the NHL wants a presence in that area.  Dallas might be low on sold out games, but it's a huge state with a huge population.  The NHL needs to get in their living rooms, even if it's just highlights on the news, if it wants to be considered more legit.

You're pretty much right nas.  the NHL is more dependant on ticket revenue than any other major sport.  to get to the next level financially, the league has to tap into that huge money pot called America.  That can't even be started until corporate America sees the product as at least having National  distribution.  There are only a handful of big time sponsor availabilities in Canada.  TV revenue can never be much.  If hockey is 1/20th as popular in the US, as it is in Canada, the league will make a lot more money.  

Sure it makes sense to maybe expand to a couple more Canadian locations, and maybe the US northwest, but it isn't illogical that the league is continuing to attempt growth in the south.  The New York Islanders are a prime example why the problem isn't simply "the south".  When reviewing attendance figures over the past decade, virtually all of the remaining southern teams have had seasons where interest was pretty good.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Some of you guys don't seem to understand the purpose of the teams in the south.  It's not always about how many tickets they can sell.  Having a presence in the area is very important.  They didn't need Atlanta with Tampa, Nashville and Florida in the south east. 

Why do you think Phoenix has a team?  It certainly isn't because the attendance is overwhelming or that they "deserve" one.  It's because the NHL wants a presence in that area.  Dallas might be low on sold out games, but it's a huge state with a huge population.  The NHL needs to get in their living rooms, even if it's just highlights on the news, if it wants to be considered more legit.

You're pretty much right nas.  the NHL is more dependant on ticket revenue than any other major sport.  to get to the next level financially, the league has to tap into that huge money pot called America.  That can't even be started until corporate America sees the product as at least having National  distribution.  There are only a handful of big time sponsor availabilities in Canada.  TV revenue can never be much.  If hockey is 1/20th as popular in the US, as it is in Canada, the league will make a lot more money.  

Sure it makes sense to maybe expand to a couple more Canadian locations, and maybe the US northwest, but it isn't illogical that the league is continuing to attempt growth in the south.  The New York Islanders are a prime example why the problem isn't simply "the south".  When reviewing attendance figures over the past decade, virtually all of the remaining southern teams have had seasons where interest was pretty good.  

This might sound just plumb crazy, but how about succeeding at your current level before trying to get to the next level?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Red, the lockout will hurt some teams but I doubt Winnipeg will be one of them. Their fan base interest is exceptional. It's the teams that have to work to get the fans out to the game that will be set back. Teams in the U.S. south for example.

You didn't do enough homework grasshopper.

Geez... it pisses me off when people want to argue, but are too lazy to even attempt to back up their position and fail to consider what's been said to this point.

1. I NEVER spouted anything about Canada

You asked for the attendance figures and I gave them to you. How is that not backing up my position? NAS is 100% correct, it has much more to do with attendance, but again, you asked simply for attendance figures. And while NAS is correct, they want to get into your living rooms for the big revenue, i would guess attendance is is a pretty good indicator when it comes to gauging interest. Not the end all be all, but a pretty good indicator. If a team has a hard time selling out their building, i'm going to guess ratings arent exactly through the roof.

Heres what you asked:

I then provided a link to attendance figures. How is that not reading your post?

Get it, grasshopper?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

While I agree with the gist of the argument, one can also point out that the NFL has gotten along since 1994 without a team in the second largest market in the U.S. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

While I agree with the gist of the argument, one can also point out that the NFL has gotten along since 1994 without a team in the second largest market in the U.S. 

By that you mean LA?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Comprehend grasshopper ?

My original post.....not kels. Third time's a charm.

1) The point made by me in my original post which you questioned was the southern teams have had to work to get attendance to where it is today....... promotions, ticket deals, etc. I even put this in quotations in my second post for you to see. 

A lockout would affect the southern teams more because of lesser interest in hockey in general. Northern teams have natural fan interest because of the regional popularity of the game.

2) The point in the original post wasn't......... in my best Goofy voice " hey look everyone, the southern teams have lousy attendance". I hope stevegm doesn't check the attendance figures to prove me wrong.

Hope that clears up the damn confusion grasshopper. If not back to summer Kung Fu school for you. I cannot explain it any better then that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Comprehend grasshopper ?

• My original post.....not kels. Third time's a charm.

1) The point made by me in my original post which you questioned was the southern teams have had to work to get attendance to where it is today....... promotions, ticket deals, etc. I even put this in quotations in my second post for you to see. 

A lockout would affect the southern teams more because of lesser interest in hockey in general. Northern teams have natural fan interest because of the regional popularity of the game.

2) The point in the original post wasn't......... in my best Goofy voice " hey look everyone, the southern teams have lousy attendance". I hope stevegm doesn't check the attendance figures to prove me wrong.

Hope that clears up the damn confusion grasshopper. If not back to summer Kung Fu school for you. I cannot explain it any better then that.

You said it better than me. Lockout ends tomorrow the teams in Montreal,Boston, New York,Chicago etc..won't have to worry about fans returning as much as teams in Tampa,Florida,Carolina etc..Lingering effects from the lockout will effect those teams more. Seems simple to me.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to jacobspleasesell's comment:

He held the league and all the fans hostage 7 years ago to get the CBA that he wanted, and now that the league has operated under that CBA he and his sock puppet Bettman are saying it doesn't work. He spent 30 years short-arming on payroll until recently, when he was embarrassed into having to actually spend to the cap that HE pushed for. 2011 was a glorious moment, especially for those of us who remember 69-70 and 71-72, but it was a fluke that happened not because of Jacobs, but in spite of him. There's no question he's the driving force behind this lockout, because whenever Bettman speaks you see JJ's lips move. He knows that no matter how much he craps on the Bruins' fanbase they will still sell tickets when they get back to playing.

Several years ago I swore I would never buy another ticket to a Boston Bruins game as lomg as Jacobs owned the team. Last game I attended was Thornton's return to Boston a few months after the trade. After 2011 I started thinking that maybe he finally "gets it" and I contemplated helping line his pockets again. After this fiasco I'm back to my previous stance. I will not spend a penny on anything that may turn him a profit. I'm sure I stand in the minority on that but I cannot fathom knowing that one penny of my hard-earned money will go to someone who holds the fans in such contempt.

ever heard of Jerry Jones or Al Davis??

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to nashville0303's comment:

Anyone who knows anything about the Bruins knows Jacobs could care less about hockey. He's owned the team for about 40 years and he's attended about 10 games total.....The Bruins are just 40 dates in his arena. That's all they are to him. If there is no hockey he will just get the circus or WWE to take their place. They are less of a headache to deal with.....

Good thing the team President cares a lot.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I get all the criticism Jacobs gets, right or wrong...But how can someone say he doesnt care? We don't know that. Going by what I see,read and hear, it's my opinion that he cares alot. He shows up to all the CBA meetings, is on the Board Of Governors, and from what I've read a very integral figure in these sessions.

Is it because he is based in Buffalo and refuses to throw huge money at people like Bill Guerin,Jason Allison etc..?He's a business owner who wants to make money. Seems very invloved from what I can tell. Some may not like what decsions he makes, but that doesnt mean he doesnt care. Is overpaying Wade Redden proof that soemone cares? I've said it before and I'll say it again, if more NHL owners ran their teams like he did, we wouldnt have all these work stoppages.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I get all the criticism Jacobs gets, right or wrong...But how can someone say he doesnt care? We don't know that. Going by what I see,read and hear, it's my opinion that he cares alot. He shows up to all the CBA meetings, is on the Board Of Governors, and from what I've read a very integral figure in these sessions.

Is it because he is based in Buffalo and refuses to throw huge money at people like Bill Guerin,Jason Allison etc..?He's a business owner who wants to make money. Seems very invloved from what I can tell. Some may not like what decsions he makes, but that doesnt mean he doesnt care. Is overpaying Wade Redden proof that soemone cares? I've said it before and I'll say it again, if more NHL owners ran their teams like he did, we wouldnt have all these work stoppages.

Hear, hear !

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

That's what the owners want, to expand not move teams.

Exposure is what sold the NHL to NBC.  TV watchers not attendance.

p.s. Kraft is cheap , he's just lucky he has one of the best QB's and coaches but how many players he let go because he didn't want to pay.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Nicely said.

Perceptions are taken in the eye of the beholder. And I'm not seeing what they see in him enough to feel the same. 

All the complaints seem so petty and circumstantial to moan about him for me.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

At 72 Jeremy isn't getting any younger.

From what I've seen of his son I doubt he will continue to own the team, I would guess that he would sell out.  And I don't see him grooming him for an ownership role, either.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

More BHab BS based upon absolutely nothing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Based upon my opinion.  He sweats (literally) in every interview I've seen him in.

Whatever.  We'll see.  Someday JJ will die, I am 100% sure of that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Based upon my opinion.  He sweats (literally) in every interview I've seen him in.

Whatever.  We'll see.  Someday JJ will die, I am 100% sure of that.

Just wondering if you came to that conclusion based on statistics.

• Sections
    Shortcuts