Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

He held the league and all the fans hostage 7 years ago to get the CBA that he wanted, and now that the league has operated under that CBA he and his sock puppet Bettman are saying it doesn't work. He spent 30 years short-arming on payroll until recently, when he was embarrassed into having to actually spend to the cap that HE pushed for. 2011 was a glorious moment, especially for those of us who remember 69-70 and 71-72, but it was a fluke that happened not because of Jacobs, but in spite of him. There's no question he's the driving force behind this lockout, because whenever Bettman speaks you see JJ's lips move. He knows that no matter how much he craps on the Bruins' fanbase they will still sell tickets when they get back to playing.

Several years ago I swore I would never buy another ticket to a Boston Bruins game as lomg as Jacobs owned the team. Last game I attended was Thornton's return to Boston a few months after the trade. After 2011 I started thinking that maybe he finally "gets it" and I contemplated helping line his pockets again. After this fiasco I'm back to my previous stance. I will not spend a penny on anything that may turn him a profit. I'm sure I stand in the minority on that but I cannot fathom knowing that one penny of my hard-earned money will go to someone who holds the fans in such contempt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Is Jeremy Jacobs the worst sports owner in Boston history?

Feel free to spend your money and time elsewhere.  No one cares.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Feel free to spend your money and time elsewhere.  No one cares.

[/QUOTE]

You're just like Kreskin because you read my mind.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

jacobspleasesell

is making a valid point and something NHL owners should listen to.

I feel much better about spending my money when I (at least I am led to) believe they are concerned about me, value my opinion and do the best they can to make sure their customers are happy.  Prime example are some restaurants near me, their food is excellent and they bust their arses to do a good job.

Then there's companies like Microsoft and HP, they could care less about me and fixing the bugs in their products.  They are arrogant to the nth degree.  I had a significant bug in an HP product (QTP Quick Test Professional and QC Quality  Center) and I had a meeting scheduled with their development staff - and blew me off leaving the product rep to tap dance with me.  I hate them.  I hate the owners of the NHL.  The NHL, like HP and MS - are the only game in town.

I am reminded of IBM in the 70's and 80's when they were the king of the world with computer software and it was inconcievable that anyone would ever knock them off.  If you even suggested someone could knock off IBM back then you would be laughed at.

The NHL owners are just like a lot of business owners I know in a niche market and can do just about anything and get away with it.  They are the 4th sport behind football, baseball and basketball in the US, of course behind soccer in the rest of the world.

And how do they run their business?  What are they doing better than their other sports entertainment competition?  And how are they differentiating themselves?

Maybe I go to dinner parties with snobs, but if it comes to sports and I say I'm a hockey fan I get treated like a leper with several social diseases who worships professional wrestling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Well said Badhab. Which is why decerting will work.

With regard to snobs: My aunt worked in the education field and I would consider her among those upper class of people you mention.  Surprisingly, she's a Republican.  But I digress.  And she too doesn't like hockey.  She thinks it's barbaric.  Any time i bring it up she tunes me out and wants to talk about the Redsox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I had to look at the date of the original post. Thought it was an old ( ancient ) thread. Some people just can't let go of the thoughts that make Jacob's look like a puppeteer to 29 other billionaires. 

Crap ! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had to look at the date of the original post. Thought it was an old ( ancient ) thread. Some people just can't let go of the thoughts that make Jacob's look like a puppeteer to 29 other billionaires. 

Crap ! 

[/QUOTE]

From Jacobs wikipedia page

Jacobs is well known in the sports industry, including being listed for several years in a row as one of Sports Business Journal's Most Influential People in Sports...Jacobs has owned the National Hockey League's Boston Bruins. Jacobs represents the club on the NHL's Board of Governors, and serves on its Executive Committee. At the NHL Board of Governors meeting in June 2007, Jacobs was elected Chairman of the Board, replacing the Calgary Flames'Harley Hotchkiss, who stepped down after 12 years in the position. Jacobs played a pivotal role in the finalization of the last CBA. He is currently working with other owners to reach a new CBA.

The NHL has referred to Jacobs as the driving force behind getting the Winter Classic to Boston on January 1, 2010.[8]

Certainly sounds like he is more influential than the typical NHL owner to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Crap ! 

[/QUOTE]

From Jacobs wikipedia page

Jacobs is well known in the sports industry, including being listed for several years in a row as one of Sports Business Journal's Most Influential People in Sports...Jacobs has owned the National Hockey League's Boston Bruins. Jacobs represents the club on the NHL's Board of Governors, and serves on its Executive Committee. At the NHL Board of Governors meeting in June 2007, Jacobs was elected Chairman of the Board, replacing the Calgary Flames'Harley Hotchkiss, who stepped down after 12 years in the position. Jacobs played a pivotal role in the finalization of the last CBA. He is currently working with other owners to reach a new CBA.

The NHL has referred to Jacobs as the driving force behind getting the Winter Classic to Boston on January 1, 2010.[8]

Certainly sounds like he is more influential than the typical NHL owner to me.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm sure billionaire owners bow down to everything he says. They wouldn't be where they are today without him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Granted the point about Jacobs in particular, let's not get distracted from the sentiment that JPL feels.

I'll even reluctantly grant that fighting has a place in hockey, however a staged fight between designated hitters doesn't have real entertainment value for me.  It's not a pressure release valve when emotions get too high, it's a staged fight.  It's not retribution in a self policing sport, it's a staged fight.  It's not a frustrated player who emotonally explodes, it's a staged fight.  

By leaving this farce in the sport they are telling me - fans who want to watch hockey instead of staged fight between 2 designated idiots - that they don't care about us.

What respect do these guys have for the sport of hockey?

Well documented that when the Flyers were popular and kids were emulating their heros in Philly afight was typical in their street hockey games.  Did they build rinks down there?  What NHL players resulted because of the Flyers success.  Answer: not nearly the number there should have been.

Look at this web page:

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/state-totals/nhl-players-career-stats.html

Look at the northern states, look at the populated states.  Now ask if mothers are sending their kids off to youth hockey in the US.  Ask where the future fans will be from.  Ask how the NHL markets itself.

Now tell me whether or not the NHL ownership respects the sport and what it's doing for the reputation of hockey and overall health.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

BHab, little restaurants want to care about you.  Big ones don't.

There are literally millions of Bruins fans.  You will never matter, neither will I, regardless of who owns the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Chowda - a lot of people feel that way about Jacobs, rightly or wrongly the sentiment is there.

Do Patriots fans feel the same about Kraft?  

What other sport has this kind of animosity against the ownership?

Jacobs knows about the sentiment against him and cares nothing for it.

What if this was another business?  What if it was a restuarant?  The owner doesn't eat there - he lives in another state, he doesn't know very much about cooking, he doesn't listen to his clientele.  If it was a restaurant he would probably be out of business.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

BHab, little restaurants want to care about you.  Big ones don't.

There are literally millions of Bruins fans.  You will never matter, neither will I, regardless of who owns the team.

[/QUOTE]

True.  But the big restaurants don't rub it in my face, at least they pretend to care about me.

Robert Kraft, patriots.  That's the model.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

People hold Robert Kraft in such high regard.  Why?

He owns the parking lots all around his stadium and charges $50+ to park there.

Ticket prices are ridiculous.

He almost moved the team to Connecticut.

They let high priced players walk all the time and replace them with less talented, low cost players.

What has Bob Kraft done for you, BHab?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

People hold Robert Kraft in such high regard.  Why?

He owns the parking lots all around his stadium and charges $50+ to park there.

Ticket prices are ridiculous.

He almost moved the team to Connecticut.

They let high priced players walk all the time and replace them with less talented, low cost players.

What has Bob Kraft done for you, BHab?

[/QUOTE]

You are absoutely correct, however Kraft makes the effort to show he's a fan.  He even made the effort to attend New England Revolution games even when in conflict with Patriots games.

It makes me feel good to see him in the stands and celebrating Pats and Revolution wins, there is a sense of camraderie among fans and he has shown himself to be a fan.

Is it justified?  No.  I never met you or Chowda, Red or Dez, yet I identify with all of you as Bruins fans.

The owner is a public figure and as such is part of the entertainment package.  I like to know they care about their product and not only the money, what really is going on I don't know.

Same reason as I hate Kessel.  He seems lazy, he doesn't seem like he works out as hard as the other guys do, he takes his natural talent for granted, I hate him.  

Your mileage may vary, but I like to feel that my hard earned dollars are being spent well on people who are interested in serving me well.

I care about my job.  I do QA and it bothers me when a bug slips by.  I like to think that I'm part of something special and that my group is putting out a much higher quality of work than my competitors.  I like to see the same thing when I'm a consumer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

Chowda - a lot of people feel that way about Jacobs, rightly or wrongly the sentiment is there.

What if this was another business?  What if it was a restuarant?  The owner doesn't eat there - he lives in another state, he doesn't know very much about cooking, he doesn't listen to his clientele.  If it was a restaurant he would probably be out of business.

[/QUOTE]

You live in Boston. 

It's a big world BH. Disdain for ownership can be a common theme for disgruntled fans from other sports and cities. 

Your city does not have the belt titleholder of this crown just because you say so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

You are absoutely correct, however Kraft makes the effort to show he's a fan.  He even made the effort to attend New England Revolution games even when in conflict with Patriots games.

It makes me feel good to see him in the stands and celebrating Pats and Revolution wins, there is a sense of camraderie among fans and he has shown himself to be a fan.

Is it justified?  No.  I never met you or Chowda, Red or Dez, yet I identify with all of you as Bruins fans.

The owner is a public figure and as such is part of the entertainment package.  I like to know they care about their product and not only the money, what really is going on I don't know.

Same reason as I hate Kessel.  He seems lazy, he doesn't seem like he works out as hard as the other guys do, he takes his natural talent for granted, I hate him.  

Your mileage may vary, but I like to feel that my hard earned dollars are being spent well on people who are interested in serving me well.

I care about my job.  I do QA and it bothers me when a bug slips by.  I like to think that I'm part of something special and that my group is putting out a much higher quality of work than my competitors.  I like to see the same thing when I'm a consumer.

[/QUOTE]

If the B's were terrible, like Columbus Blue Jackets terrible, but they had an owner who showed up for all 82 regular season games (no playoffs, obviously) and cheered and jumped up and down and got excited by killed penalties, would you be happy?

Honestly, I don't care who owns the team as long as the product is good.  Jacobs isn't making any hockey decisions.  Neely and Chiarelli make the decisions.  That's what matters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You live in Boston. 

It's a big world BH. Disdain for ownership can be a common theme for disgruntled fans from other sports and cities. 

Your city does not have the belt titleholder of this crown just because you say so.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, but it's a club I would prefer not to be a member of.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

spends to the cap - next

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the B's were terrible, like Columbus Blue Jackets terrible, but they had an owner who showed up for all 82 regular season games (no playoffs, obviously) and cheered and jumped up and down and got excited by killed penalties, would you be happy?

Honestly, I don't care who owns the team as long as the product is good.  Jacobs isn't making any hockey decisions.  Neely and Chiarelli make the decisions.  That's what matters.

[/QUOTE]

Why can't I have both an owner who's into it and a good team?

And from what I've seen, owners who are fans seem to get better teams.

Wouldn't it be better for hockey to have owners that DIDN'T treat this sport as they do?  i.e. a mixture of the circus, NASCAR and WWF.

Jacobs isn't making hockey decisions re: Bruins players, but he IS making hockey decisions - rule changes the board of governors votes on, you complain about skating clowns and the NHL ownership forces it down your throat and you're ok with that?  No, you don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

spends to the cap - next

[/QUOTE]

there ain't no next.

there ain't no hockey.

For me on this bright and cheerful Saturday morning it's either arguing about JJ or cleaning the gutters or sorting through my father's nursing home & medical bills.  I'm going with the JJ is evil thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

[QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't care who owns the team as long as the product is good.  Jacobs isn't making any hockey decisions. 

[/QUOTE]

And there-in lies the truth.  The product has not always been as good as it could be.   Nor has Jacobs always been hands off.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't care who owns the team as long as the product is good.  Jacobs isn't making any hockey decisions. 

[/QUOTE]

And there-in lies the truth.  The product has not always been as good as it could be.   Nor has Jacobs always been hands off.

[/QUOTE]

At which time has Jacobs decisions lead to the B's not being as good as they could have been? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why can't I have both an owner who's into it and a good team?

And from what I've seen, owners who are fans seem to get better teams.

Wouldn't it be better for hockey to have owners that DIDN'T treat this sport as they do?  i.e. a mixture of the circus, NASCAR and WWF.

Jacobs isn't making hockey decisions re: Bruins players, but he IS making hockey decisions - rule changes the board of governors votes on, you complain about skating clowns and the NHL ownership forces it down your throat and you're ok with that?  No, you don't.

[/QUOTE]

Owners who are fans get better teams?  Help me understand that one.

The current culture of the Skating Clowns isn't an NHL Only thing.  It's in North American hockey.  It's tough to blame Jacobs for that, but Boston fans will anyway.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bim, Bieber is wearing one of your hats.  This negates any possible reason to have a conversation with you about anything:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mEyqN3vub5s/T5WBH2XykKI/AAAAAAAAFtw/I2I5beYzJ6A/s640/justin-bieber-london-april23.jpg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"spends to the cap - next"

And I'll add, If Henry and Kraft weren't winning New England sports nation would be whining like they did in the 80s n 90s when the Sox n Patsies were terrible.

With the Bush tax cuts going away the owners want that HRR back. Jacobs is no different than a millionaire athlete when it comes to business assets, just protecting an investment.

Sections
Shortcuts